Brianna Wu Articles -

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Okay, lets fix this.

Calling @Jaimas @Melchett
Maybe @Internet War Criminal @Funnybone if they want to get involved.

Brianna Wu's article is not only our #1 article, but it proudly shows up on the FIRST PAGE of her Google results despite how mnay results there are. We're going to fix this for the glory of the wiki and to assist in our upcoming political fight.

Lets start without making any changes, because attempting to fix the article by just changing shit won't be possible and would take hours. Lets start by surveying information.

In as few words as possible, survey the page and figure out its biggest faults. I think I have a good idea o what the problems are, but I want to hear what you four have to say.

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/Brianna_Wu

In no particular order:

1. Huge walls of text that absolutely no one will ever read from start to finish. The introduction is ten paragraphs. The introduction.

2. Incredible bias.
"Brianna Wu, posing with a motorcycle that she may or may not actually own." Like, why include that detail in the way a teen girl would say it? "Brianna Wu posing with a motorcycle she claims to own." includes that doubt without being snarky.

3. Lack of clear organization.
Best example of this is the first section, titled "Important Notes About Brianna Wu's Trans Status and Adoption". There's no reason to have this section. It feels like whenever something happens or Jaimas finds something new, a new section or paragraph is spawned in the wiki at random a random place.

If you want to write about gender identity and being adopted, especially as the first section, why not call it "Early Years" like in standard Wikipedia Format?

4. Lack of information.
I checked the wiki for the first time today because I was reminded of a specific event. At some point, Wu claimed that they were speaking at a big name university like Stanford University, but was actually speaking at like, the Standford Community College. I couldn't find this in the wiki, so in the hundred paragraphs, it's still missing information. I figure this has more to do with a lack of structure and the random plugging in of data as I described above.

5. Fluff.
"For the sake of brevity and out of respect to Brianna herself, this Wiki will not get into theorycraft as to reasons Brianna may or may not have had for claiming to have been born a woman"

This is such a nonsensicle line and it is so far away from how Encyclopedias are written. If you're trying to be brief, why are you writing out for the sake of brevity? Just be brief. The Wiki is also not a sentient object or a tight collection, so The Wiki does not get personification. That entire sentence is saying nothing informative, it's explaining in twice the length of a tweet why the author of that paragraph has decided to not give information, which is the literal exact opposite of what a wiki does.

So, yeah, this is a mess. We have tons of information sewn very sparsely in tens of thousands of words and I want to set it straight. Please, the four of you, give an analysis similar to mine. Tell me things you don't like so I can write out a first phase.

Jaimas

YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND ARE COWARDS!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, lets fix this.

Calling @Jaimas @Melchett
Maybe @Internet War Criminal @Funnybone if they want to get involved.

Brianna Wu's article is not only our #1 article, but it proudly shows up on the FIRST PAGE of her Google results despite how mnay results there are. We're going to fix this for the glory of the wiki and to assist in our upcoming political fight.

Lets start without making any changes, because attempting to fix the article by just changing shit won't be possible and would take hours. Lets start by surveying information.

In as few words as possible, survey the page and figure out its biggest faults. I think I have a good idea o what the problems are, but I want to hear what you four have to say.

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/Brianna_Wu

In no particular order:

1. Huge walls of text that absolutely no one will ever read from start to finish. The introduction is ten paragraphs. The introduction.

2. Incredible bias.
"Brianna Wu, posing with a motorcycle that she may or may not actually own." Like, why include that detail in the way a teen girl would say it? "Brianna Wu posing with a motorcycle she claims to own." includes that doubt without being snarky.

3. Lack of clear organization.
Best example of this is the first section, titled "Important Notes About Brianna Wu's Trans Status and Adoption". There's no reason to have this section. It feels like whenever something happens or Jaimas finds something new, a new section or paragraph is spawned in the wiki at random a random place.

If you want to write about gender identity and being adopted, especially as the first section, why not call it "Early Years" like in standard Wikipedia Format?

4. Lack of information.
I checked the wiki for the first time today because I was reminded of a specific event. At some point, Wu claimed that they were speaking at a big name university like Stanford University, but was actually speaking at like, the Standford Community College. I couldn't find this in the wiki, so in the hundred paragraphs, it's still missing information. I figure this has more to do with a lack of structure and the random plugging in of data as I described above.

5. Fluff.
"For the sake of brevity and out of respect to Brianna herself, this Wiki will not get into theorycraft as to reasons Brianna may or may not have had for claiming to have been born a woman"

This is such a nonsensicle line and it is so far away from how Encyclopedias are written. If you're trying to be brief, why are you writing out for the sake of brevity? Just be brief. The Wiki is also not a sentient object or a tight nigh collection, so The Wiki does not get personification. That entire sentence is saying nothing informative, it's explaining in twice the length of a tweet why the author of that paragraph has decided to not give information, which is the literal exact opposite of what a wiki does.

So, yeah, this is a mess. We have tons of information sewn very sparsely in tens of thousands of words and I want to set it straight. Please, the four of you, give an analysis similar to mine. Tell me things you don't like so I can write out a first phase.
I agree with all of this, for the most part, and it has a lot to do with how I've usually done wiki work in the past - usually I've done technical shit and the like - which means you have to explain shit in essay format, and this often isn't the best way given how you'd like us to cover this. Nothing to it but to do it. My own writing style is kind of ass for this, and I'll work on hammering it down. Work's been a bitch so I may be slow but I'll do my best on it as time allows.

My problem, my fix. I can do this.

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I redid the intro, but the wiki keeps giving an error message:

Warning: require_once(PEAR.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/Mail.php on line 46

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /usr/share/php/Mail.php on line 46

Locksnap

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its clear to me the biggest problem with the article is its length. There are issues regarding the content of the article but they're secondary if someone isn't even going to read the thing in the first place because its a dense thesis on some tranny. This is its biggest fault.

Connected with the first issue is that so much space is dedicated to shoving as many adjectives and epithets as possible into every sentence that make the parts of the article I have read (forgive me for not reading the whole thing I'd rather kill myself) shit. If you cut out most of the emotional language not only would the article get smaller, but its quality would rocket up at the same time. Look and see with this paragraph from the introduction:

She is better known, however, for being a pathological egomaniac who gained notoriety by inserting herself into the Gamergate controversy, antagonizing those who supported the movement in an attempt to generate hype for her game and to reinvent herself as an icon for identity politics idealogues. She was a complete unknown until she did this.
Could be shortened to:
She is better known for inserting herself into the Gamergate controversy in an attempt to generate hype for her game.

In less than half the words I've said the same thing and the only information lost is that she wasn't "known" before whatever because that can discussed after the fucking intro.

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My redone intro is about one-third the length. Knowing what I do now and being able to subdivide things further means being able to truncate. Tell me what you think (Apologies for Wiki Code):

'''Brianna Walker Wu''' (born '''John Walker Flynt''' on July 6th, 1977) is a 39-year-old<ref>[https://archive.li/xHfzQ#selection-1535.1-1659.1370 Happy Birthday, Brianna!]</ref> American game designer, and the head of Giant SpaceKat Studios - a company best known for its legendarily-bad game ''[[Revolution 60]]''. Brianna Wu herself, however, is mostly known for her social media presence, which has centered around three core concepts: Her place as a woman in the tech field/political activist/sex-positive feminist/motorcycle hobbyist who fights against entrenched sexism and bigotry, her opposition to the [[GamerGate|various]] [[Alt-Right|groups]] guilty of "harassment" (which she claims to be the victim of), and her willingness to go to ludicrous extremes to silence opposition to her views, to the point of using her associates on social media to sanction voices critical of her.

Unfortunately for Brianna Wu, despite her lofty claims of being everything from a Software Engineer to the biggest victim of everything ever, in actuality she is a serial self-aggrandizer with delusions of grandeur who habitually exposes her own ignorance. Virtually none of her claims are based in reality - she [[Brianna Wu#Exposure|has no technical certifications from any school or institution]], provably [[Brianna Wu's Harassment|isn't as harassed as she likes to pretend]], and, ultimately, does not have [[Brianna Wu is John Flynt|a lifetime of experience as a woman]]. She is notorious on Twitter for claiming expertise in a field, only to immediately disprove she has any experience with that field whatsoever soonafter. She does not even have a driver's license, nor any vehicle registered in her name. She has not even voted in the last four election cycles. An ongoing meme with Brianna Wu is that if she claims anything to be emphatically true, odds are better than break-even that the reverse will be the case. Brianna Wu lies so frequently and so openly that it is, in all honestly, easier to record the number of times she does ''not'' lie about a given subject. This tendency to be so bad at lying and getting caught so frequently are what made Brianna Wu into a [[Lolcow|person of interest]], though it's her darker aspects that keep her the subject of discussion and analysis.

Brianna Wu first came to the public's attention due to her involvement in the [[GamerGate Controversy]]. She initially forced her way into the public discourse by actively antagonizing the consumer hashtag revolt until its supporters responded to her attempts by mocking her, at which point she promptly claimed to have been harassed. This led to an ongoing campaign of idiocy as Brianna Wu repeatedly and continually bit at obvious bait - resulting in insane things like [[Jace Connors vs. Brianna Wu#Operation Wu-Pocalypse: The War is on|claiming someone tried to murder her in a street race]] or publicizing her own harassment in direct opposition of what she was told to do by the FBI, further emboldening trolls. Brianna Wu's original reason for getting involved in GamerGate was because of her close ties to people in it, including Leigh Alexander and Patricia Hernandez; in many ways, Brianna Wu represents exactly what GamerGate supporters complained about when they talked about the cozy relationship between the gaming press and certain indie developers. Prior to her involvement with GamerGate, Brianna Wu was essentially an unknown with some high-profile friends. Ironically, she [[Derek Smart Incident|was warned about her behavior and the risks therein]] very early on, but in her arrogance, chose to ignore it.

Despite constantly claiming to be a victim, however, Brianna Wu is [[Brianna Wu as a Harasser|guilty of harassment herself]]. She is notorious for going to ludicrous extremes to silence critics and opponents, with a professional reputation such that people are afraid of crossing her and have insisted upon anonymity when discussing her personal affairs. Brianna Wu is not above running hate-campaigns on social media, turning her army of followers on someone to get them removed from Twitter, or, failing that, calling in personal favors from her friends in Twitter support. To this day, linking to this Lolcow Wiki Article or even posting a photo of Brianna Wu alongside her previous identity (John Flynt) can get accounts sanctioned or even banned outright from Twitter, as can posting evidence that directly contradicts Brianna Wu's lies (such as [[Brianna Wu#Expose|the evidence she never graduated college]]). Brianna Wu has gone so far as to try to get people blacklisted from conventions for disagreeing with her, and was instrumental in leading a campaign of terror against a popular Youtuber who called her out on her terrible behavior on Social Media.

It is one thing to be a professional victim; it is quite another to fail at it to such a consistent and amusing degree. In studying Brianna Wu, one can see the dangers of hubris in a way that would be horrific if she didn't make so many obvious mistakes. Whether she's trying to tard cum a national tragedy for her own benefit, claiming disproven hoaxes are threats to her life, or claiming that disagreeing with her insane theories about a video game character means literal murder, Brianna Wu is at once compelling and hilarious, a wellspring of unintentional hilarity that never seems to quite run dry.

I'm gonna try to tamp this down further. I'm pretty sure I can.

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Like I said in OP, you really should not be doing any editing or you're just going to waste your time if you refactor something not considering all the things we want to change. For instance:

A citation link is less useful if it doesn't describe the link. You also decided not to use my {{archive}} template, for some reason.
I didn't know we had a template for that. Fuck.

Also, any idea what's causing that error?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net

Hyperion

D E A D
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Make sure the John/Janet Reno pic is front and center. BLM is mad at her because of minimum sentences :story:

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's interesting considering it is the very first template on the first post of the very first thread stickied to this board.
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/template-reference-list.6096/

It's also used on 50 different articles.
https://lolcow.wiki/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Archive

I don't see an error.
It may be surprising, but despite their utility, I've almost never used the things. Just goes to show how even someone who does a lot of Wiki work can still legitimately not know certain shit about it.

As for the error I mentioned earlier, it may be on my end if it's not happening for anyone else. It happens any time I try to edit an article. I can edit just fine, but if I try to save changes, it gives me the text and a whitescreen. I'll need to check later.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't think all this detail should be lost, but it should definitely be moved from the front page and main article text, perhaps into sub-articles so that the half dozen or so people who actually are interested in this autistically hyperfocused shit can dig down that deep.

I think @Jaimas takes a lot of shit for his wordy, tl;dr (although I have actually read most of it) and very fact-oriented material, but remember that we're trashing a tranny here, one of the sacred cows of modern culture. John is a genuinely repellent person, though, and if you're going to take down a cow like this, it has to be minutely sourced. This shit isn't opinion. It's fact. John is a manipulative, sociopathic liar whose behavior is well documented.

I do think the main article should be significantly cut down as to what you get shoved in your face the minute you click it, but that lovingly detailed shit should still be accessible to the people who want it. Remember that those who actually dig into a source like this at that depth are probably the very people we want to reach and to give access to the threads to pull with the resources they have at their disposal. By that I mean the actual opposition researchers.

We do this for amusement. They do this for blood and treasure.

This is actually an opportunity to obliterate this repulsive creature once and for all.

The politics of this is that whoever has to deal with John in a primary is never, ever going to name a source like us or even acknowledge our existence. If they even did outreach it would be from some source they could disclaim subsequently.

However, shit like claiming you have multiple degrees, and changing what they are whenever convenient, when you don't have a single degree at all just doesn't fly in political campaigns. They play for keeps there and you don't get away with a lie like that.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
As for the error I mentioned earlier, it may be on my end if it's not happening for anyone else. It happens any time I try to edit an article. I can edit just fine, but if I try to save changes, it gives me the text and a whitescreen. I'll need to check later.
Php error. Article is so long it causes issues saving. Try editing sections only. I'm out so can't fix atm.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaimas

yawning sneasel

Fully Loaded
Staff Member
Community Admin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Start from scratch. Make bulletpoints of what is important for a lolcow wiki to say about this person. Write the body and summarize each point in the introduction. It shouldn't be over 1,500 words if you write for your audience and really, Wu hasn't done much with her life that would warrant pushing past like 1,000-1,200.

Jaimas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Start from scratch. Make bulletpoints of what is important for a lolcow wiki to say about this person. Write the body and summarize each point in the introduction. It shouldn't be over 1,500 words if you write for your audience and really, Wu hasn't done much with her life that would warrant pushing past like 1,000-1,200.
Probably best to not have me handle it then.

• Agree
Reactions: yawning sneasel
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino