Bungie splitting from Activision, taking Destiny with them -

usoland

kiwifarms.net
Considering Bungie's only current games are Destiny and some mobile NetEase game in development it probably didn't hurt Activision too hard to let them leave. Meanwhile Blizzard has cash rolling in so I wouldn't see them splitting anytime soon.

Reactions: Judge Dredd

trigon

kiwifarms.net
I am actually shocked by this happening and Blizzard not doing something similar
hopefully blizzard will follow suit. It's felt wrong ever since Guitar Hero World Tour ads said "Activision Blizzard"
Blizzard went into a full corporate merger with Activision (hence why the company is called Activision-Blizzard) theres realistically no way for the two to separate and it would easier, both logistically and legally, for blizzard employees to mass quit and start a new company, which they cant do because they fully reliant on Koticks money pit to stay afloat.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft has been buying studios left and right recently, including Obsidian and Ninja Theory among many others. I would not be surprised if by E3 2019 or sooner Phil Spencer will be announcing that they bought Bungie and got them back working on the Halo IP. Could be interesting.

Anyway, never was a Destiny fan, tried to get into it with the first game but a bit too grindy for my taste. All the same, glad to see Bungie was able to pull Activision's hooks out and hopefully they'll (Bungie) be able to get their shit together.

As for Activision, they can go rot for all I care.

Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Considering Bungie's only current games are Destiny and some mobile NetEase game in development it probably didn't hurt Activision too hard to let them leave. Meanwhile Blizzard has cash rolling in so I wouldn't see them splitting anytime soon.
Destiny was one of Activision's main cash cows and they sunk a fuckton of money into its development. It's rare, significant and usually a sign of deep trouble when a company jettisons a major, profitable IP like that. And just as importantly, Activision doesn't have a lot to bank on either besides Call of Duty and whatever the remnants of Blizzard can shit out.

On the other hand, Microsoft has pretty explicitly signalled they'll be doing business with Bungie, so I think they're taken care of.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Fus Ro Dank
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft has been buying studios left and right recently, including Obsidian and Ninja Theory among many others. I would not be surprised if by E3 2019 or sooner Phil Spencer will be announcing that they bought Bungie and got them back working on the Halo IP. Could be interesting.
Bungie would cost way too much, buying some exclusivity or funding a game seems more likely. Microsoft have outright stated that they're more interested in using their money to buy many smaller developers instead of a couple of big ones. It's a smart move and makes perfect sense considering their aim is to get a large volume of exclusive content on Game Pass.

MightyBiteySnake

Danger!? Tsuchinoko?
kiwifarms.net
Well it's nice to see at least one company escape from activisions/Ea's shadow. Kinda like finding a small child alive after a natural disaster, a small miracle amid the horror.

Fuck Activision. They've killed blizzard blizzard and parade it's hallowed out corpse while whoring out once great franchises. they're only better than EA because the damage isnt as extensive.
Even without Activision, Blizzard wouldve eventually hung itself with the rope they happily produced thru their both complacent and braindead fanbase.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
Even without Activision, Blizzard wouldve eventually hung itself with the rope they happily produced thru their both complacent and braindead fanbase.
Everyone whos played Blizzard games for a long time know that Blizzard don't listen to feedback, I've been in several alpha/betas, and seen longtime intelligent players post page long breakdowns of whats wrong and how to fix it in their feedback forums, all of it to be ignored. Basically the same attitude Jay Wilson had when the Diablo 2 lead said he'd have done D3 differently, and Wilson said "fuck that guy".

It's what happens when you let people who think that now that they work for Blizzard they've automatically become geniuses. Mental midgets with hubris.

Reactions: MightyBiteySnake

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Everyone whos played Blizzard games for a long time know that Blizzard don't listen to feedback, I've been in several alpha/betas, and seen longtime intelligent players post page long breakdowns of whats wrong and how to fix it in their feedback forums, all of it to be ignored. Basically the same attitude Jay Wilson had when the Diablo 2 lead said he'd have done D3 differently, and Wilson said "fuck that guy".

It's what happens when you let people who think that now that they work for Blizzard they've automatically become geniuses. Mental midgets with hubris.
Diablo 3 is now an old Blizzard game? Fuck I feel old.

Racist Trash

Fucking Lidl doesn't have any Custard Creams.
kiwifarms.net
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-01-bungie-gets-more-than-usd100-million-investment-from-netease

Old news but I would like to see what you have to say about this in regards the split. Back in June 2018, a Chinese company invested in 100 million to Bungie and established a Chinese member as part of Bungie's board of directors and a minority stake on the company.
https://www.mcvuk.com/.amp/business/blizzard-extends-partnership-with-netease-to-2023

Meanwhile Blizzard has extended their contract with netease so we get to see even more amazing blizzcon announcements.

Reactions: Jaimas

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
So a C-grade studio is parting ways with a scummy publisher to go back to m$ to make more C-grade shooters...
they havnt had a good game in 20 years, who cares? m$ will be the King of western RPGs after buying to other studios, so why should they buy bungie? they suck...

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino