Burger King General Thread - UPDATE: Despite Spergy OP

What Are Your Thoughts on Burger King?

• Ye.

Votes: 87 41.6%
  • Ne.

Votes: 66 31.6%
  • Seriously, nigga? Fast Food?

Votes: 38 18.2%
  • Who or What is This "Burger King" You Speak of, Why Should I Care?

Votes: 18 8.6%

• Total voters

Syaoran Li

White Trash Degenerate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I admit I actually sort of like Burger King, it's better than McDonald's most of the time. Not as good as it used to be though.

The Burger King near where I live has one of the most incompetent staffs I have ever seen in any fast food place. It's sad, really.

That being said, when I was a kid growing up, Burger King was one of the best places to eat out. I lived in a very rural redneck area as a kid, so all we really had in terms of restaurants were fast food places. Burger King and Pizza Hut were my two favorites, with Hardee's in second place (Hardee's jumped the shark even worse than Burger King in my opinion, but I digress) and there were two BK's in my area that were awesome, both of which are now defunct.

Both were attached to gas stations, but had dine-in areas. The gas stations are still around, but the restaurant areas are gone. I think both were owned by the same franchise owner. One of the BK's was decorated in NASCAR memorabilia (again, redneck rural America) while the other was decorated with posters and images related to 50's and 60's Rock & Roll music and general Boomer nostalgia (posters of Elvis and The Beatles, images of classic cars of the 1950's and 1960's), and both had great food and service.

The "NASCAR Burger King" as we called it back then even had an outdoor playground at one point, while the Burger King with the Boomer nostalgia memorabilia had a small indoor playground in the hall that divided the Burger King from the gas station/convenience store area.

Also, does anybody here remember the Burger King Kids Club?

Looking back, it was the embodiment of the proto-SJW "diversity by token minority characters" that was common among kids' shows back in the 90's, but I liked it anyway when I was a kid. Lame by today's standards, but totally awesome if you were a small kid at the time.

Heck, when I was about five years old or so, my grandmother signed me up for this Burger King Kids Club promotion where they would mail you a coupon for a free kids meal on your birthday. For a while in the late 90's and very early 2000's, that would be my go-to place for birthday lunches as a kid, usually followed by pepperoni pizza and cake at the house for dinner later in the evening. Good Times.

I even changed my avatar to Kid Vid for the sake of nostalgia.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
I admit I actually sort of like Burger King, it's better than McDonald's most of the time. Not as good as it used to be though.

The Burger King near where I live has one of the most incompetent staffs I have ever seen in any fast food place. It's sad, really.

That being said, when I was a kid growing up, Burger King was one of the best places to eat out. I lived in a very rural redneck area as a kid, so all we really had in terms of restaurants were fast food places. Burger King and Pizza Hut were my two favorites, with Hardee's in second place (Hardee's jumped the shark even worse than Burger King in my opinion, but I digress) and there were two BK's in my area that were awesome, both of which are now defunct.

Both were attached to gas stations, but had dine-in areas. The gas stations are still around, but the restaurant areas are gone. I think both were owned by the same franchise owner. One of the BK's was decorated in NASCAR memorabilia (again, redneck rural America) while the other was decorated with posters and images related to 50's and 60's Rock & Roll music and general Boomer nostalgia (posters of Elvis and The Beatles, images of classic cars of the 1950's and 1960's), and both had great food and service.

The "NASCAR Burger King" as we called it back then even had an outdoor playground at one point, while the Burger King with the Boomer nostalgia memorabilia had a small indoor playground in the hall that divided the Burger King from the gas station/convenience store area.

Also, does anybody here remember the Burger King Kids Club?

Looking back, it was the embodiment of the proto-SJW "diversity by token minority characters" that was common among kids' shows back in the 90's, but I liked it anyway when I was a kid. Lame by today's standards, but totally awesome if you were a small kid at the time.

Heck, when I was about five years old or so, my grandmother signed me up for this Burger King Kids Club promotion where they would mail you a coupon for a free kids meal on your birthday. For a while in the late 90's and very early 2000's, that would be my go-to place for birthday lunches as a kid, usually followed by pepperoni pizza and cake at the house for dinner later in the evening. Good Times.

I even changed my avatar to Kid Vid for the sake of nostalgia.
I grew up in an area like that. We would drive a half hour into the nearest town and raid their fast food establishments. There was fuck all else to do. When I started dating my high school girlfriend, I used her as an excuse to go into the “city” since she went to a different high school that was closer to actual civilization and we would go eat at nicer places.

Not a moment too soon either, since my friends started getting into fights with the denizens of the town we would go to for fast food. It was like The Warriors, but instead of fashionable gangs it’s a bunch of white trash rednecks trying to make it through a crappy little town to get McNuggets and they have to fight off other white trash rednecks + token dark skinned teenager.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Scenario. Poor college kid (I'm 40 years removed from it), who wants the most calories per dollar at a fast food place.

What should I get? The BK nuggets? Burritos at Taco Bell? KFC 5 dollar fill up????
Honestly, I'd argue the KFC place due to getting a full meal, though Taco Bell tends towards the cheap if you just get like five of those burrito frito things they got. BK kind of loses in that regard unfortunately, even if I do think for some reason their nuggets win out of the joints I go to.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm kind of partial to the King Boxes to be honest. For a fiver you get a long burger of your choice, a bag of fries, 6 nuggets and a drink.

• Informative
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

D.Angus

kiwifarms.net
I'm kind of partial to the King Boxes to be honest. For a fiver you get a long burger of your choice, a bag of fries, 6 nuggets and a drink.
I've been out of the King loop for awhile.. Meth head Uncle-Brothers and Sister-Aunts keep coming into the Wendy's I'm at demanding the 5 for 5/"The Box". I've had no idea where it was coming from till your post, but knowing our customers, reading comprehension is only useful if you want to see if your cousin wants to smash. Always love the almighty " 'The commercial ' told me about the offer " excuse, as if I'm expected to know exactly which commercial you're talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: CWCissey

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Scenario. Poor college kid (I'm 40 years removed from it), who wants the most calories per dollar at a fast food place.

What should I get? The BK nuggets? Burritos at Taco Bell? KFC 5 dollar fill up????
BK Nuggies is a good deal because they're intended as a lost lever but you would be better off just buying them at a frozen foods aisle.

Costco is a good source for buying ungodly amounts of Nuggies.

IAmNotAlpharius

For the Emperor?!
kiwifarms.net
As far as taste go, they would no doubt differ from country to country if to simply suit the palates of the locals. A Burger King in Kuwait would most likely taste better (or worse, for all we know) than one in the United States.

As far as personal experience goes with Burger King, I kinda like eating their food when I was younger, but even then, the food there wasn't all that great and most experiences there was just choosing between Burger King or a 7/11 hotdog when my dad went to meet up with friends of his. I got more enjoyment eating at a Jack in the Box than at a Burger King, especially since the burgers from Jack in the Box are bigger and have a better taste (or at least the burger I usually get).
The best Burger King I’ve been to was in Latin America. The McDonalds were better down there too because there’s a greater emphasis on quality. They basically fill the niche of a 5 Guys or In N Out. The equivalent to our McDonalds and Burger King would be some guy on the corner selling empanadas, tacos, or asado.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Draza and c-no

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I worked at BK for about a week in HS. This was back in like 1999-2000 when the economy was roaring and fast food places were forced to offer like $12/hr to find work.

It was horrendous. First off, they had a rule where if you clocked in even a single minute late you weren't eligible for the $12/hr and would instead have to wait another month from that day until you were. So say you got to work at 8:40, your shift started at 9, and you were at the time clock at 8:59 ready to clock in but Sally was in front of you and by the time she was done it was 9:01: you'd have to get a manager's note saying it wasn't your fault and that you were still eligible for the raise. It's designed to suck the life out of you like that.

And then there's the actual work and the "kitchen" conditions. They start you off on the grotesque monstrosity that is the "flame broiler". In reality it's a conveyor belt that turns pink slime burgers sitting in a box at one end into something resembling an edible beef patty at the end. If you've ever lived near a BK you can literally smell and see the results of this horrible industrial process every time you take a whiff of the air or look up above the restaurant. Lord only knows what additives they put into the meat itself and the"flame" that produces that unique...flavor.

So as the noob you're in charge of this shit. You're in charge of getting the patties from the freezer (stored in giant 20lb boxes) and then putting them on the belt and then collecting them from the -- literal -- slop bucket at the end and putting them into a warmer tray. If the burgers sit in the tray longer than X amount of time you're supposed to throw them out and make new ones. In my experience (short as it was) this rule was rarely followed.

One rule that (thankfully) they were pretty serious about was testing two burgers per cook (you'd usually load about 15-20 onto the belt at a time) to make sure it got cooked enough to kill bacteria and other nasties. This was done religiously and the results were tracked. So they got that going for them. Granted, this was around the infamous Jack in the Box salmonella outbreak and I think everybody was on high alert.

I made it about a week at BK and I think I've made this post before here. Sorry if you've already read it but the experience sticks with me to this day, some 18 years later.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
I got completely sick of Burger King as well as Church's Chicken while I was working at Army bases in the Southeast. My old company had computer gambling systems (basically a ghetto bingo-based slot machine) at bowling alleys at Ft. Benning, Ft. Gordon, Ft. Lee, Ft. Campbell, Ft. Jackson, Ft. Stuart, Ft. Rucker, and Ft. Bragg, as well as Marine Corp Logistics Base Albany (and Camp Zama and NAS Atsugi in Japan, but that's another story). Since I was a civilian contractor, I had to go through security to get on post, so it was a major hassle to get lunch or dinner off-post, so I almost always wound up at Burger King or Church's, which have locations in most Army bases.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the way into work I got twenty nuggets and a one dollar cheeseburger, acceptable. If I had one near my place it would be in the running for drive thru to go with beer, but it's like seven minutes further than Checkers.

MalWart

kiwifarms.net
So I got a chance to try their spicy chicken nuggets yesterday. They were actually quite good, reminded me of the Spicy Chick'n Crisp they had on their value menu years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: soryu and HamFan
P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
I used to like BK when I was younger, but they seemed to have just shit the bed lately. None of the locations in my area seem to give a fuck anymore. Can't even be arsed to melt the cheese on your burger, their fries always taste old, nugs or chicken sandwiches are lukewarm at best. It's fast food and I shouldn't have very high expectations, but man, these clowns make McDonald's look decent in comparison.

If I want a fast food burger, I just go to Carl's Jr anymore.