Disaster BuzzFeed Laying 15% of Its Staff, While Huff Post Is Laying Off 7% - Day 8: Vice News Joins in on the Action, 1,250+ Shoahed

2 litre soda

For what we do, we have to grovel?
kiwifarms.net
Imagine being so privileged that the media and academia teach you every day that your dark skin color is an actual accomplishment and a moral achievement and that you deserve to have a posh writing job just because of it, regardless of what work you actually contribute. And then you call yourself a victim and that same monolithic media institution agrees with you.
And then, an old rich white guy in a suit comes down from his mansion, says "Nah," takes his money and goes home. It turns out that you aren't special. You were never special. You are indistinguishable from a million others just like you, with the exact same opinions, style, speech patterns, and quirks. You have made no impact on the world. You existed at the whim of some old white dude, the same man you railed against and whose time you claimed was over, and now, without him, you have nothing. He doesn't know you exist. He will never know, nor will he ever care. He may have his secretary write up a brief statement about how sorry he is about the situation, and how much he feels for those who will now be seeking new opportunities elsewhere. He will not read it. You are a written off investment. You didn't make his bank account larger, and now he will put his money elsewhere. In flying cars, perhaps, or robots. Somewhere where you will never get to touch it.

The only way to get by now is to beg. You're too proud to call it begging, but it's what it is. Begging. You have created nothing of value, and no one will miss your contributions to the world when you stop. You refuse to let yourself think about the different choices you could have made, years ago, that could have prevented you from being in this position now. You are right. You are always right. How could you be wrong? It is the world that is unfair. It is everyone else that is the problem, not you. It has to be everyone else. It couldn't be you. The old man's money should be yours. You won't cry, damn it. You won't.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
This is what happens when your entire operation spends years blowing through whatever runway you hoodwinked VCs into giving you with no plan on how to monetize "19 ways the patriarchy is why you can't afford that 4-bed condo with a river view (#13 will trigger you)". Rest in piss, you limousine leftist matchstick men. :drink:

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
"With the restructuring, Dubuc is de-emphasizing focus on Vice’s web properties and is looking to bulk up efforts in film, TV production and branded content centered on its millennial-skewing audience and counter-cultural ethos."

No, you fuckers are not counter-cultural any more than Rolling Stone has been for 20+ years at this point. You ARE the culture the counter-culture is rebelling against.

So when the company hits hard times, they get fired because they're unnecessary and all they can do is kick and scream and blame everyone else.
Just like the blue collar workers they've been shitting all over as their inferiors.

Malodorous Merkin

Musky
kiwifarms.net
I'll bet that if you do a follow up with all the laid off "journalists" a year from now, I'll bet that not nearly even half of them are employed in any kind of journalistic capacity, if they're employed at all.

They may think this is a "bump in the road" for their careers, and they're all like "I look forward to my next opportunity, and if anybody is looking to hire...."

Um, no.

What you had wasn't a job in journalism, what you were was part of a failed experiment that WILL NOT BE REPEATED. Your jobs aren't going to be coming back, and you aren't going to find them elsewhere. Your jobs are a dead parrot.

This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

I'll bet that if you do a follow up with all the laid off "journalists" a year from now, I'll bet that not nearly even half of them are employed in any kind of journalistic capacity, if they're employed at all.

They may think this is a "bump in the road" for their careers, and they're all like "I look forward to my next opportunity, and if anybody is looking to hire...."

Um, no.

What you had wasn't a job in journalism, what you were was part of a failed experiment that WILL NOT BE REPEATED. Your jobs aren't going to be coming back, and you aren't going to find them elsewhere. Your jobs are a dead parrot.

This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!
Oh man, that's a good point. These idiots thought screeching like a fucking exceptional individual into the internet was a valid career path. It's gonna be hard to go from that to some kind of useful skill...

Malodorous Merkin

Musky
kiwifarms.net
Oh man, that's a good point. These idiots thought screeching like a fucking exceptional individual into the internet was a valid career path. It's gonna be hard to go from that to some kind of useful skill...
They're also going to be rudely awakened(or not) to the fact that putting 'Buzzfeed/HuffPo opinion writer" on their resumes will be far more of a negative than a positive. It'll be a kiss of death.

It'll brand them as radioactive lepers that no media outlet will want any part of. Even after it becomes crystal clear that it's a badge of failure that gets their resumes fed straight into the shredder, they still won't be able to bring themselves to "shed the identity", and they'll keep it on their resumes thinking it gives them woke-professional cred, and surely somebody will eventually recognize their unique value.

Life is going to be very cruel to these people, and that makes me smile.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino