World California state splitting proposal becomes eligible for ballot in November - State voters to decide this November

Pickle Dick

kiwifarms.net
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/13/voters-decide-if-calf-should-3-states/697054002/

A proposal that would split the state of California into three separate states has become eligible to appear on the state's ballots in November, California's Secretary of State has confirmed.

The Golden State would become California, Northern California and Southern California, if the proposal were to pass.

Cal3provides this information for how the state would be split up:

-California would have approximately 12.3 million residents and would be centered around Los Angeles County. Five other counties to the north and along the coast would be included.

-Northern California would have 40 counties with approximately 13.3 million people.

-Southern California would have 12.3 million people in 12 counties

Venture Capitalist Tim Draper is behind the initiative. He says splitting the state would lead to improvements in infrastructure and education while lowering taxes: “States will be more accountable to us and can cooperate and compete for citizens," he told the Los Angeles Timesin an email last summer.

If the proposed measure was to be passed, the division of California would be subject to approval by Congress, according to Cal3.

But there's many reasons to be skeptical that voters will choose to split the state.

An April poll from Survey USA found that voters were not in favor of splitting the state by a margin of 4 to 1.

May 14: 5 reasons California won’t split into three states

Jan. 17: New California? 5 times Californians failed to split the Golden State

And many similar efforts have failed in the past.

In 2014, Draper failed with a similar proposal: To split the Golden State into six smaller governments.

Getting an initiative on a November 2016 ballot required about 808,000 signatures. The group behind the effort, largely funded by Draper, claimed to have 1.3 million signatures. But the secretary of state deemed about 40% of them to be illegitimate, and the campaign faltered.

In 1992, Stan Statham, an assemblyman from Northern California, embarked on "a quixotic campaign to split California in three," as Sacramento's News & Review recalled.

Amid worries of a recession, Statham gained the support of then-Speaker Willie Brown to put a non-binding question on ballots across the state: Should California divide into three states? A bill made it through the Senate before dying in the rules committee.

Tackleberry

VERY cool.
kiwifarms.net
Why Would you do this? All this does is put the three largest cities into separate states in order to create 3 commie/SJW states voting democrat instead of just one. If they wanted to be fair, they could just take 90% of the coastline from north to south, to encompass San Francisco, LA, and San Diego and see to it that these 3 cancer-ridden liberal utopias get their own state, and leave the normies alone. Or they could just break the San Andreas fault, and slide that entire coastline into the ocean, whichever more speedily cleanses the left coast of SJW autocracy is OK with me.

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
Why Would you do this? All this does is put the three largest cities into separate states in order to create 3 commie/SJW states voting democrat instead of just one. If they wanted to be fair, they could just take 90% of the coastline from north to south, to encompass San Francisco, LA, and San Diego and see to it that these 3 cancer-ridden liberal utopias get their own state, and leave the normies alone. Or they could just break the San Andreas fault, and slide that entire coastline into the ocean, whichever more speedily cleanses the left coast of SJW autocracy is OK with me.
Any Californian split proposal that doesn't put Sacramento, the Bay Area, and greater Los Angeles into one cancer containment state is just a ruse by CA democrats to try and get more influence in the Senate. State division proposals that include even one liberal megaopolis just makes more purple/leaning blue states overall.

Also the north coast is actually pretty awesome and I have more respect for hippies in Gualala than anyone on the Californian coast south of Marin.

thismanlies

The Funnest Part of Gaming is Looting Corpses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any Californian split proposal that doesn't put Sacramento, the Bay Area, and greater Los Angeles into one cancer containment state is just a ruse by CA democrats to try and get more influence in the Senate. State division proposals that include even one liberal megaopolis just makes more purple/leaning blue states overall.

Also the north coast is actually pretty awesome and I have more respect for hippies in Gualala than anyone on the Californian coast south of Marin.
I have to agree. This does look like a scheme to get four more senate seats out of that shithole.

Maiden-TieJuan

Your roving Californialand reporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It won't happen. The main financial area is Ag in Califo4nia, no matter what LA tries to say. Putting the main financial earner out of their reach in Northern .ca means the other split states will suffer. Also, LA gets most of their water from central California. There is talk of shutting that down if the state splits, and they won't let that happen.

neger psykolog

moon goons for communism detection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People keep reporting this thread and some other dupes that have come up.

I've updated the title because the only other thread I could find was from 9 months ago.

The difference with now/this thread is that the proposal is actually eligible to be accepted for the ballot in November. I updated the title to say that.

The previous thread from October 2017 is when it was the vote had begun collecting signatures to qualify for the ballot:
https://kiwifarms.net/threads/california-to-be-split-into-3-states.35870/

It is now qualified.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
Even in the unlikely event this becomes a reality, it won't accomplish much. In some ways it'll make things worse.
All it would really do is make one new Blue State, Northern California, and one new somewhat Purple but more often then not Blue State, Southern California.
Only way you'd get a Red State out of this is keeping the coast from LA County up to Humboldt County along with the entire Bay Area and Sacramento as California and making everything thing else it's own State.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always joked that the not insane portion of the state should Cal-exit from LA.

I never thought it would actually happen.

Derp Potato

Just a Spud doing spud things
kiwifarms.net
Too bad it's split up to be three insane portions instead of just one whole state.

LA and LA County would control that entire area. Same goes for San Diego for theirs and the Bay Area for the north.

It really is just a push to get more Dem seats.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino