Callum Nathan Thomas Edmunds / MauLer93 / MauLer - Discussion of a youtube reviewer

Are MauLer's videos too long?

• Yes

Votes: 44 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 111 31.8%
  • Fuck YES

Votes: 194 55.6%

• Total voters

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Did MauLer express hate towards TFA or he was one of the guys that only after TLJ actually looked at the first movie and see it as a ripoff it is?

DEBIRU MAN

デビルマン
kiwifarms.net
Did MauLer express hate towards TFA or he was one of the guys that only after TLJ actually looked at the first movie and see it as a ripoff it is?
He originally really liked the movie like so many others, and then changed his mind after seeing the Last Jedi. The whole point of the series was to be a critique of the movie and the discourse surronding it from film reviewers at the time. That's why he made this video basicly raking popular reviewers over the coals and pointed out a lot of flaws with video essays and reviews in general.

Elescondio20

kiwifarms.net
He originally really liked the movie like so many others, and then changed his mind after seeing the Last Jedi. The whole point of the series was to be a critique of the movie and the discourse surronding it from film reviewers at the time. That's why he made this video basicly raking popular reviewers over the coals and pointed out a lot of flaws with video essays and reviews in general.

God i forgot Mauler was such a terrible writter this video is 10 times longer than what it needed to be

CapeKnight

kiwifarms.net
People who excused TFA and then turned around TLJ are just exceptional individuals. TFA itself was already going in the social justice direction with it's choice of casting, it's no surprise that TLJ sank to the levels it did. TFA laid the groundworks for it, as much as Abrams and Johnson seems to disagree, they're both actually in the same rabbit hole.

MauLer "liking" TFA then changing his mind on TLJ should have been indicative of him jumping on the outrage mob. This is also one of the reasons why he isn't releasing any further videos and doing only EFAPS: 1. because he doesn't actually have anything interesting to say on the subject matter, and 2. he needs to be on livestreams to collect as many outrage views to compress for his "hot takes" as much as possible.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
People who excused TFA and then turned around TLJ are just exceptional individuals. TFA itself was already going in the social justice direction with it's choice of casting, it's no surprise that TLJ sank to the levels it did. TFA laid the groundworks for it, as much as Abrams and Johnson seems to disagree, they're both actually in the same rabbit hole.

MauLer "liking" TFA then changing his mind on TLJ should have been indicative of him jumping on the outrage mob. This is also one of the reasons why he isn't releasing any further videos and doing only EFAPS: 1. because he doesn't actually have anything interesting to say on the subject matter, and 2. he needs to be on livestreams to collect as many outrage views to compress for his "hot takes" as much as possible.
I won't fault someone from being overly optimistic with TFA and turning back when TLJ screws up everything that was setup (and I wrote some autistic level posts on SW thread about how TFA caused the new trilogy to be at best a shadow of the original trilogy because the setup was so bad). But, unless I'm remembering wrong because it's been so much time, MauLer should have opened about how he liked the film and started talking primarily what he liked about TFA rather than go about per-scene tangents about what is wrong with it. It is very easy to go sentence by sentence and find what is wrong, but doesn't really say anything about the quality of the overall product.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Scarface1 and Draza

CapeKnight

kiwifarms.net
I won't fault someone from being overly optimistic with TFA and turning back when TLJ screws up everything that was setup (and I wrote some autistic level posts on SW thread about how TFA caused the new trilogy to be at best a shadow of the original trilogy because the setup was so bad). But, unless I'm remembering wrong because it's been so much time, MauLer should have opened about how he liked the film and started talking primarily what he liked about TFA rather than go about per-scene tangents about what is wrong with it. It is very easy to go sentence by sentence and find what is wrong, but doesn't really say anything about the quality of the overall product.
Maybe I'm just desensitized by Hollywood after the countless reboots and attempts at jerking off franchises by announcing sequels to long over franchises, but I think the optimism to TFA is misguided at best. The age of innovative works of coming out of movies, music, and other mediums that would have had significant cultural impact and defined that decade ended at around 2005. Black Pigeon Speaks made a video about this, and you can probably find it somewhere on YouTube, it's amongst his more recent videos, but his main point (backed up with a lot of research and facts) is that ever since things came to a grinding halt in 2005, you weren't ever going to see the mainstream put out anything that would have had lasting impact on culture a whole anymore. There's some indie stuff here and there and sleeper hits, but they didn't elevate anything enough to have changed things for the last 15 years.

EDIT: here's the video if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-K_0ZN4_w&t=314s

Last edited:

CapeKnight

kiwifarms.net
Past good, present bad.
Don't know you got that from the post, I'm generally content with the advancements we made and I like the ease at which we can gain and consume information these days, I'm merely disappointed that we're stuck playing semantics and the fact that people like MauLer and the likes get away with thinking they're "critics" or have a "gift", when they haven't said anything that hasn't already been said, and at a much dumber scale, yet they're celebrated as if they're some paragon of logic, when there are people who are actively trying to push for things to happen but their efforts aren't being recognized.

Really, it should be "Past good, Present should have been much better"

• Feels
Reactions: A Useless Fish

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
I could understand why people initially liked the Force Awakens for not being the prequels but it sure didn't stand the test of time.
I wonder what would have happened if they actually did plan out this trilogy and gave the directors chair to some yesman director like they did with that Solo film instead of Johnson.
We definitely wouldn't have gotten Mauler, that's for sure.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I could understand why people initially liked the Force Awakens for not being the prequels but it sure didn't stand the test of time.
I wonder what would have happened if they actually did plan out this trilogy and gave the directors chair to some yesman director like they did with that Solo film instead of Johnson.
We definitely wouldn't have gotten Mauler, that's for sure.
That's a very interesting question. Star Wars TLJ was the perfect storm of "fuck you audience", sjw casting and critics fawning over Disney bux, all joined together in the unarguably most famous blockbuster film series of all time. The fallout was legendary and I don't think there would have been any way to get this kind of reaction. Even Ghostbusters 2016 was just abandoned after it was clear there is no money to be made.
And that film really birthed the "objective-tuber" which is the exact same as the anti-sjw tuber.

Reactions: Scarface1
Before the thread gets dragged into the rabbit hole of autism that is Star Wars discussion, has anyone looked into Mauler's supposed clash with Game Maker's Toolkit over the latter criticising Dead Space 2?

big baby jesus

deep, deep, deep in the mind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm just desensitized by Hollywood after the countless reboots and attempts at jerking off franchises by announcing sequels to long over franchises, but I think the optimism to TFA is misguided at best. The age of innovative works of coming out of movies, music, and other mediums that would have had significant cultural impact and defined that decade ended at around 2005. Black Pigeon Speaks made a video about this, and you can probably find it somewhere on YouTube, it's amongst his more recent videos, but his main point (backed up with a lot of research and facts) is that ever since things came to a grinding halt in 2005, you weren't ever going to see the mainstream put out anything that would have had lasting impact on culture a whole anymore. There's some indie stuff here and there and sleeper hits, but they didn't elevate anything enough to have changed things for the last 15 years.

EDIT: here's the video if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-K_0ZN4_w&t=314s
It's just part of getting older and more cynical. Older people in the 80's and 90's probably thought those decades sucked too. And so on as you go back farther. Wait about 15 years..the new Star Wars movies will get the fanbase the prequels started to get a couple years back from people who liked them as kids. And yes, it's going to happen.

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net

That video is a segment of his TFA critique, which is another reason he's so far behind in the series. He dedicates half of the first part to complaining about how awful all the YouTubers he has beef with are and why he's better than all of them. It's not even connected to TFA - he complains about hbomberguy and Joseph Anderson over their video game videos.

I could go into all the problems with the video, ranging from the clips he takes out of context to various hypocrisies like emphasizing the importance of research, references, knowledge, passion, and effort when his EFAP responses to other videos have none of those or complaining about being misrepresented when he misrepresents other YouTubers (and Mark Hamill). But what I think what best summarizes the video is how he introduces his archnemesis Quinton Reviews. He claims Quinton was saying these things about him when Quinton was actually talking about Rags. What better way to introduce a guy you claim takes you out of context by taking him out of context?

Elescondio20

kiwifarms.net

Lol that video is so dumb for starters stuff that gets remade is usually popcorn entertaiment : terminator , ghostbusters and star wars are not high art or cultural milestones and the dumbest part of this whole concept is that hollywood has always done this, is not a recent thing

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
It's incredibly ironic how within Joker, even with the whole Occupy-esque movement the Joker himself didn't give a fuck about having a political motive and just wanted to kill people, and now people like MauLer have embraced the movie as a grand anti-SJW anti-Woke statement because a bunch of journos thought they could scare people into fearing the next mass shooting with gamers rise up memes.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
MauLer shows one reason why it's taking him so long to finish Part 3 - he gets hung-up over a single line of dialogue that nobody cares about.

https://twitter.com/MauLer93/status/1261128857014415360
View attachment 1296275

He's clearly taking a shot at his detractors by proudly showing off one of his worst traits as a reviewer and his fanbase will eat it up. He's becoming the Andy Warhol of YouTube critics.
Why the fuck is he being so elaborate over what is essentially a throwaway line? No wonder he is taking long on his TFA review when he spergs out over each line in the script

Tags
None