Callum Nathan Thomas Edmunds / MauLer93 / MauLer - Discussion of a youtube reviewer

Are MauLer's videos too long?

• Yes

Votes: 44 12.4%
  • No

Votes: 112 31.5%
  • Fuck YES

Votes: 200 56.2%

• Total voters

DisaffectedDude

kiwifarms.net
Plenty of people in academia and film criticism definitely sniff their own farts and go on pseudo-intellecutal babble fits, but yeah, MauLer is no better.

He likes to frame the discussion as though he just focuses on the script, the logical progression of it all. But he's said that the visuals will age and don't matter to the story, and that people only say it looks good because it costs money. Which means he ignores visual storytelling entirely. Colors, symbolism, framing, blocking, lighting, yadda yadda because he doesn't understand it...even more than he doesn't understand screenwriting (his supposed area of expertise). The Grand Budapest Hotel was made for a budget of less than $30 million and it looks fantastic. Amelie was made on a budget of $10 million and is praised for its visuals. Money is not what makes visuals work. It's like discussing graphics instead of art direction when talking about video games.

But again he's just another anti-intellectual sperglord who scoffs at people bringing in literature on a topic and disses others for having production value in their videos (as if utilizing the video component in a video essay is a bad idea).

To be fair: Anyone can be a film critic, this is not entirely wrong. But what it means is that people can study film literature and theory on their own and study a bunch of films - on their own. That they don't need to get a degree from a university or even necessarily go out and make films of their own to be considered a proper critic. What it does not mean is that you just look at surface level details and nitpicks and treat that as the 'true' film critic path just because you're too lazy or stupid to study the medium and its many intricacies.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
Plenty of people in academia and film criticism definitely sniff their own farts and go on pseudo-intellecutal babble fits, but yeah, MauLer is no better.

He likes to frame the discussion as though he just focuses on the script, the logical progression of it all. But he's said that the visuals will age and don't matter to the story, and that people only say it looks good because it costs money. Which means he ignores visual storytelling entirely. Colors, symbolism, framing, blocking, lighting, yadda yadda because he doesn't understand it...even more than he doesn't understand screenwriting (his supposed area of expertise). The Grand Budapest Hotel was made for a budget of less than $30 million and it looks fantastic. Amelie was made on a budget of $10 million and is praised for its visuals. Money is not what makes visuals work. It's like discussing graphics instead of art direction when talking about video games.

But again he's just another anti-intellectual sperglord who scoffs at people bringing in literature on a topic and disses others for having production value in their videos (as if utilizing the video component in a video essay is a bad idea).

To be fair: Anyone can be a film critic, this is not entirely wrong. But what it means is that people can study film literature and theory on their own and study a bunch of films - on their own. That they don't need to get a degree from a university or even necessarily go out and make films of their own to be considered a proper critic. What it does not mean is that you just look at surface level details and nitpicks and treat that as the 'true' film critic path just because you're too lazy or stupid to study the medium and its many intricacies.
That's true, there's definitely the opposite of the problem where you have pretentious douchebags who think they can do no wrong. There needs to be accountability on both ends of that ordeal.
I absolutely agree with you though, anyone can be a film critic the same way anyone can be most professions. You can definitely self-teach yourself which is what I suggest to people who are interested in this stuff. There's a lot you can do to help increase your understanding of film and criticism. I think earlier in this thread's history, someone on EFAP said getting an education on film was gay because religion exists and theologians are stupid.

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net
I was watching Rock and Rule for like the twentieth time and I was thinking about how despite the music and animation being top-notch the script itself and characters were sort of lacking and how despite that it has a cult following after all these years.

For whatever reason I thought a little harder about Mauler's attempt to criticize Avatar: TLA and how it immediately backfired and I'm not sure it has to do entirely with him being a contrarian and Avatar fans being super defensive, even with live action films he downplays all the strengths that the film has if he doesn't personally think the story or characters are good. People are seeing this now as he argues against totally reasonable and truthful things people are saying in the YT videos he's making fun of for almost no reason except to be contrarian.

Animation is an entirely different medium from film despite also being visual-storytelling, the entire community around it is different too. I think that because it is a part of film/television that he thinks that he can talk about them equally despite arguably knowing even less about animation then he does film.

The more I think about it, the weirder it becomes. Imagine if he had started out as a cartoon review channel and he had said something like he has for film. Imagine if he said that animation, style, tone, the history of animation, the production, the music and everything else didn't matter in a cartoon except the plot and script. He'd be a joke, he'd be one of those countless channels dedicated to cartoons for toddlers only 11 hours long.

As soon as he stepped out of his medium of choice and into another the veil was lifted and people could immediately tell that what he was saying was bullshit but they still believe what he says about film analysis for whatever idiotic reason.

Or maybe I am just overthinking things because I am tired and it really is just because Avatar is popular and Mauler cannot help but be contrarian.

ColdOnes

kiwifarms.net
MauLer is far worse than the people who specialize in film in academia. While there are definitely a large number of them who LARP as political activists and just bitch and moan when a movie has politics that they dislike, there are some who actually contribute to awareness of film as an art form. Those academics usually revolve their areas of interest on film industries outside the US, and they often try their best to raise attention on the people in those industries by hosting programmes to premiere the movies made by them, giving lectures or writing books and essays about those industries. Unlike MauLer and many other youtubers who spend all their time talking about movies they dislike, those academics put all their effort into promoting the movies that they believe are criminally obscure due to the lack of a sizeable marketing budget and lack of mass appeal. Those academics have helped me in opening my perspective of movies in general.

Last edited:

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
I was watching Rock and Rule for like the twentieth time and I was thinking about how despite the music and animation being top-notch the script itself and characters were sort of lacking and how despite that it has a cult following after all these years.
It's kind of ironic you'd mention Rock and Rule because that's in a similar position to the Star Wars OT. Like the OT, a bunch of changes were made to it - the main voice actor was overdubbed by a different actor (who was in the film Lucas did before Star Wars, by the way), the profanity was removed, and a scene revealing that a dead character was actually alive got cut out. I've only seen the original version, which is shit quality because the master copies were destroyed in a fire, but original voice actor sounded a lot better than what I've heard of his replacement. The replacement actor sounded like he only cared about being paid by the studio executives who forced him into the film.

So this makes me wonder how MauLer and co. feel about all the changes made to the OT and where they fit into his objectivity mold. I haven't seen any of them comment on Lucas' edits, which you would think a stronger case of "objectively" good or bad could be made. You get better continuity with Ian McDiarmid appearing in ESB, but you also get dumb shit like Greedo not being able to hit Han Solo at point blank range and the obnoxious-ass CG aliens in RoTJ. It's like these don't get talked about because the Lucas hate train left the station after he sold the IP.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
MauLer is far worse than the people who specialize in film in academia. While there are definitely a large number of them who LARP as political activists and just bitch and moan when a movie has politics that they dislike, there are some who actually contribute to awareness of film as an art form. Those academics usually revolve their areas of interest on film industries outside the US, and they often try their best to raise attention on the people in those industries by hosting programmes to premiere the movies made by them, giving lectures or writing books and essays about those industries. Unlike MauLer and many other youtubers who spend all their time talking about movies they dislike, those academics put all their effort into promoting the movies that they believe are criminally obscure due to the lack of a sizeable marketing budget and lack of mass appeal. Those academics have helped me in opening my perspective of movies in general.
One of the reasons I love YMS is because he actively goes out of his way to bring attention to movies that aren't blockbusters or don't get wise releases. If not for him, I would have missed out on some legitimately excellent foreign and indie movies in the past five years (The Wild Pear Tree being one).

People like MauLer are a perfect justification for the growing hostility towards franchises and cinematic universes. Keep in mind I'm a huge nerd myself and half my time is spent reading comics, but that I almost never hear him or Midnight's Edge talk about legitimately good stuff that isn't a franchise flick and that he devotes so much negativity to a movie made for basement dwellers makes me almost sympathise with the people he hates in a way.

Also yeah, I just Hot Take'd Midnight's Edge. I miss what they used to be- an intelligent exposé channel. Their video on Spider Man 3 is incredible. Now they've become another bro nerd channel bitching about wokeness in movies.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
One of the reasons I love YMS is because he actively goes out of his way to bring attention to movies that aren't blockbusters or don't get wise releases. If not for him, I would have missed out on some legitimately excellent foreign and indie movies in the past five years (The Wild Pear Tree being one).

People like MauLer are a perfect justification for the growing hostility towards franchises and cinematic universes. Keep in mind I'm a huge nerd myself and half my time is spent reading comics, but that I almost never hear him or Midnight's Edge talk about legitimately good stuff that isn't a franchise flick and that he devotes so much negativity to a movie made for basement dwellers makes me almost sympathise with the people he hates in a way.

Also yeah, I just Hot Take'd Midnight's Edge. I miss what they used to be- an intelligent exposé channel. Their video on Spider Man 3 is incredible. Now they've become another bro nerd channel bitching about wokeness in movies.
I watched an affiliate of theirs, Dicktor Von DoomCock, and his voice and demeanor gave me heavy warning signs but I figured "maybe it's just a character."
Then I watched a stream and I legitimately wonder if he's a lowfunctioning autist.

big baby jesus

deep, deep, deep in the mind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why do these spergs care so much what movies other random people like or dislike anyway? If Jury Duty with Pauly Shore is someone's favorite movie they should be able to like it all they want. Who gives a fuck?

Reactions: Stay safe

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
I watched an affiliate of theirs, Dicktor Von DoomCock, and his voice and demeanor gave me heavy warning signs but I figured "maybe it's just a character."
Then I watched a stream and I legitimately wonder if he's a lowfunctioning autist.
But he hates TLJ, therefore he's a good YouTuber. It's the same reason why MauLer defends E;R.

This wonderful display of projection says it all.

https://twitter.com/JayExci/status/1263733040456613889
empress1.png

https://twitter.com/CalebB2831/status/1263736077111738368
empress2.png

Shieldman

kiwifarms.net
My boy Shad put out a "objective" video, I haven't watched it all because by now the whole subject irritates me.
I enjoy Shad's channel, but the effect that Mauler has on some people just puzzles me.
Like, in the latest WCB show, Anna (Star Wars Girl), nearly tore Az's arms off because he said that he enjoyed the Mandalorian, using Mauler's arguments. (Mauler himself was smart enough not to pick a fight)
(no timecode, the whole ended up being like 8 hours long, it's somewhere in the latter half )

• Informative
Reactions: Korpon

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, his videos may be long, but I've never had any trouble watching them.

There's a big difference between long and unwatchable. I'd rather watch something entertaining that's longer than something that's only 5 minutes I can't stand for under a minute.

Korpon

Dead Meme
kiwifarms.net
My boy Shad put out a "objective" video, I haven't watched it all because by now the whole subject irritates me.
I enjoy Shad's channel, but the effect that Mauler has on some people just puzzles me.
Like, in the latest WCB show, Anna (Star Wars Girl), nearly tore Az's arms off because he said that he enjoyed the Mandalorian, using Mauler's arguments. (Mauler himself was smart enough not to pick a fight)
(no timecode, the whole ended up being like 8 hours long, it's somewhere in the latter half )
What's their beef against the Mandalorian anyways? I haven't seen it yet, but for whatever reason Mauler and Co. seem to really hate it. I haven't seen their EFAP episodes discussing it yet, but all I know is Mauler thinks the writing is shit or something. Ironic, considering he loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer so damn much, despite admitting two or so of the seasons are terrible.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
But he hates TLJ, therefore he's a good YouTuber. It's the same reason why MauLer defends E;R.

This wonderful display of projection says it all.

https://twitter.com/JayExci/status/1263733040456613889
View attachment 1314892

https://twitter.com/CalebB2831/status/1263736077111738368
View attachment 1314897
The rest of that conversation went that Jay reposts what his fans send him.
img_495949335684.PNG

The last comment on this chain is pretty on the nose. If you can't filter out people's opinions against you and just be levelheaded, you look like the bigger moron.
But I do like E;R because I think he knows enough to be a decent commentator on art and his editing/sense of humor makes up for whatever he lacks in his analysis. Though, RalphTheMovieMaker hates the Last Jedi and Mauler still shat on him when he did his Joker video. Yet, E;R has made his MCU-hate very abundantly clear and Mauler gives him a free pass.
Why do these spergs care so much what movies other random people like or dislike anyway? If Jury Duty with Pauly Shore is someone's favorite movie they should be able to like it all they want. Who gives a fuck?
Their excuse is that it's in the name of objective criticism, where people need to be logical and consistent towards the art they critique and avoid being subjective to give the most unbiased interpretation on art.
In actuality, it's just an excuse for them to harass and ridicule people who don't share their opinions and then act like they're almost always in the right because they view art one way which is based on their lack of knowledge on art.

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, his videos may be long, but I've never had any trouble watching them.

There's a big difference between long and unwatchable. I'd rather watch something entertaining that's longer than something that's only 5 minutes I can't stand for under a minute.
There's also the worst case scenario where something is longer and more unbearable.

The rest of that conversation went that Jay reposts what his fans send him.
View attachment 1315059
The last comment on this chain is pretty on the nose. If you can't filter out people's opinions against you and just be levelheaded, you look like the bigger moron.
But I do like E;R because I think he knows enough to be a decent commentator on art and his editing/sense of humor makes up for whatever he lacks in his analysis. Though, RalphTheMovieMaker hates the Last Jedi and Mauler still shat on him when he did his Joker video. Yet, E;R has made his MCU-hate very abundantly clear and Mauler gives him a free pass.
The difference between E;R and RalphTheMovieMaker is didn't make a TLJ takedown video. All I've seen from him is a tweet calling it mediocre and giving it a 5/10 in his 2017 recap. E;R was making anti-Disney Star Wars videos before it was cool to hate TFA and Disney Star Wars.

The difference between E;R and MauLer is E;R is less focused on making an in-depth analysis and more about provoking reactions. He doesn't take his content seriously - it's meant to entertain and offend. MauLer is dead serious about his content, which causes him to get offended when people don't like it.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Simple: for some of these guys, they think the franchises they like were being violated while everyone else liked said violation. On the flipside, they think the shit people dislike must be some sort of grave insult, which admittedly some dislikes can be spergy as fuck when people bitching about either never actually tried to product or they tried the product itself but end up thinking in the former's point: it's violated or horrible. For other guys, it's some grifting. And then with another, there is some legit dislike that ends up being as being nothing more than just some sort of sperging.

I don't mind seeing fans of the works they dislike getting butthurt that they think any dislike for some movie about space wizards is really an attempt at misogyny or racism since the whole spergings over stuff like capeshit movies and Star Wars is more and more ridiculous each day but I can see those guys as being no better when their dislike. I never really seen much of any of Mauler's work but I do feel that he, his fans, and his detractors are just all gonna be the same, just take some stupid shit in media and watch them have their own autistic circlejerks on how Star Wars is ruined/saved/whatever these people will throw at a franchise Disney is trying to make money off of.

Tags
None