Callum Nathan Thomas Edmunds / MauLer93 / MauLer - Discussion of a youtube reviewer

Are MauLer's videos too long?

• Yes

Votes: 48 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 114 29.9%
  • Fuck YES

Votes: 219 57.5%

• Total voters

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, he has Alien/Aliens, Predator, and some people consider Jurassic Park and The Terminator horror but yeah. It's just blockbuster shit. Hell, even the one Nolan and Scorsese films he has on there aren't even the best in their respective careers. You'd think Momento or Goodfellas would be on there. The only non-American film he has on there is only there because it was fucking trendy and it beat Joker at the Oscars.
While we’re on the subject of famous contemporary directors and their inclusion (or lack thereof) on the “EFAP Approved” movies list, I’m surprised they didn’t include anything by Quentin Tarantino or the Coen Brothers on there. Someone else in this thread referred to this list as “Reddit-tier”, and while I’m inclined to agree, I also think a lot of Reddit film bros would include Pulp Fiction and/or The Big Lebowski on their list of favorite movies. So he can’t even film bro correctly.
The show has always had terrible foresight on what would become important later on in the story with major plot points like the all of the Stark children having warg abilities, the horn of winter, and Aegon VI getting cut which probably crippled the overarching narrative.
I mostly blame that though on GRRM failing to plot out all the details because of his aversion to making outlines, instead telling D&D vague plot points like "the COTF created the Others" or "Jon kills Daenarys" and leaving them to fill the blanks. D&D being lazy and having not much passion left for the source material didn't help the show
Without dragging this thread too off-topic I really fucking wish that GRRM waited until he finished the series before handing it off to HBO to adapt.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
While we’re on the subject of famous contemporary directors and their inclusion (or lack thereof) on the “EFAP Approved” movies list, I’m surprised they didn’t include anything by Quentin Tarantino or the Coen Brothers on there. Someone else in this thread referred to this list as “Reddit-tier”, and while I’m inclined to agree, I also think a lot of Reddit film bros would include Pulp Fiction and/or The Big Lebowski on their list of favorite movies. So he can’t even film bro correctly.
He doesn't give a shit about non-genre franchise films so I wouldn't put it past him if he hasn't even seen many Tarantino or Coen Brothers films. I have a hunch he wouldn't like them even if he did because they'd be too weird for him and at times, non-linear. Remember, these are the faggots who think Joker is better than Taxi Driver because it's less subtle and spells things out to the audience. For people who are supposedly so interested in writing, they're very inexperienced and unfamiliar with different types of narrative structure besides three-act structure. I can absolutely see Mauler complaining about Pulp Fiction for being "confusing" or Big Lebowski for being "pointless."

I just realize now how EFAP likes to harps on two members of Sardonicast for "not knowing what they're talking about" yet IHE and Ralph have watched a ton more movies with variety too.
IHE especially has watched arthouse movies despite his channel being more geared towards z-movies and other trends.
Just compare the EFAP list with the Sardonicast trio's letterbox recommendations.

Sardonicast also has a healthier and much more fun dynamic too compared to EFAP's toxicity. Like whenever they have arguments, its actually funny to listen to instead of being frustrating. There's probably why the guests they have on the podcast actually work in the film industry while EFAP guests are just people who got bullied into joining the podcast.

Raging Capybara

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Meanwhile, James Rolfe talks about Dreyer on his channel.

I kind of respect YMS for watching real movies instead of capeshit all the time, but he has a huge problem, he doesn't watch anything made before the 2000s. I know you like to poke fun of Mauler for preferring Joker over Taxi Driver, but Adam only watched Taxi Driver because Joker was coming out, and The King of Comedy after it got released. It's embarrassing shit.

I always assumed that you should watch the complete filmography of Scorsese and Kubric to talk about movies. It's literary the entry-level of American cinema.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
I just realize now how EFAP likes to harps on two members of Sardonicast for "not knowing what they're talking about" yet IHE and Ralph have watched a ton more movies with variety too.
IHE especially has watched arthouse movies despite his channel being more geared towards z-movies and other trends.
Just compare the EFAP list with the Sardonicast trio's letterbox recommendations.

Sardonicast also has a healthier and much more fun dynamic too compared to EFAP's toxicity. Like whenever they have arguments, its actually funny to listen to instead of being frustrating. There's probably why the guests they have on the podcast actually work in the film industry while EFAP guests are just people who got bullied into joining the podcast.
Come to think of it, EFAP is basically a poor man’s Sardonicast.

EmpireOfTheClouds

They climbed aboard their silver ghost
kiwifarms.net
Meanwhile, James Rolfe talks about Dreyer on his channel.

I kind of respect YMS for watching real movies instead of capeshit all the time, but he has a huge problem, he doesn't watch anything made before the 2000s. I know you like to poke fun of Mauler for preferring Joker over Taxi Driver, but Adam only watched Taxi Driver because Joker was coming out, and The King of Comedy after it got released. It's embarrassing shit.

I always assumed that you should watch the complete filmography of Scorsese and Kubric to talk about movies. It's literary the entry-level of American cinema.
if you look at his all time favourite movies list on IMDb though, there's l!very of pre-2000s movies. I'm guessing he likes to keep his criticisms though on current movies though.

buying gf

fite me 1v1 wildy
kiwifarms.net
if you look at his all time favourite movies list on IMDb though, there's l!very of pre-2000s movies. I'm guessing he likes to keep his criticisms though on current movies though.
YMS is a dogfucker and a pseud who thinks people only like Citizen Kane to look smart and to fit in with popular opinion. It's probably more accurate to say that he doesn't like movies before 1970, not 2000. That being said, he is an infinitely better reviewer than Mauler.

It is amusing that Mauler likes to praise the OT so much, considering that George Lucas has stated over and over again that he hates the idea of movies as "filmed plays". If Lucas ever watched a Mauler video he'd probably off himself.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
Come to think of it, EFAP is basically a poor man’s Sardonicast.
Adam, Alex and Ralph definitely are bros that just shoot the shit for an hour or two about something they're passionate about. EFAP is just pseudo-intellectuals trying to show how smart they are for being "objective" about their biases and kick around people with the wrong opinion for 7 to 11 hours. Everyone seems to be there either out of fear of Mauler or just an excuse to shit talk. It's so fucking joyless and unpleasant to listen to. The Reddit-tier jokes and Discord memes doesn't help.
I've seen them and he's definitely a lot more experienced, and I got to respect him for that. Though, I'm not that big a fan of his reviews. I find them very pedantic, ironically, similar to Mauler's reviews in a way though granted they're a lot more entertaining and much shorter. I also find Adam to be a lot more bearable and combined with his experience, I feel more forgiving towards his style of review than I do Mauler, who is far more arrogant and ignorant. Making it harder for me to excuse his methods of critique.
YMS is a dogfucker and a pseud who thinks people only like Citizen Kane to look smart and to fit in with popular opinion. It's probably more accurate to say that he doesn't like movies before 1970, not 2000. That being said, he is an infinitely better reviewer than Mauler.

It is amusing that Mauler likes to praise the OT so much, considering that George Lucas has stated over and over again that he hates the idea of movies as "filmed plays". If Lucas ever watched a Mauler video he'd probably off himself.
The dog fucking stuff is definitely one of his bigger negative traits. Furries send off a fuck ton of warning signs to me. And I didn't know about his stance on Citizen Kane but I do agree in terms of his actual content and skills as a reviewer, he's much better. I hope he manages to kick away the degeneracy.
Also, do you know the exact Lucas quote? I'd love to read it.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
Adam, Alex and Ralph definitely are bros that just shoot the shit for an hour or two about something they're passionate about. EFAP is just pseudo-intellectuals trying to show how smart they are for being "objective" about their biases and kick around people with the wrong opinion for 7 to 11 hours. Everyone seems to be there either out of fear of Mauler or just an excuse to shit talk. It's so fucking joyless and unpleasant to listen to. The Reddit-tier jokes and Discord memes doesn't help.
Why would people be afraid of MauLer though?

buying gf

fite me 1v1 wildy
kiwifarms.net
The dog fucking stuff is definitely one of his bigger negative traits. Furries send off a fuck ton of warning signs to me. And I didn't know about his stance on Citizen Kane but I do agree in terms of his actual content and skills as a reviewer, he's much better. I hope he manages to kick away the degeneracy.
Taken from this interview, talking about his early career, starting roughly at 27:02:
George Lucas said:
I do not like character driven drama, I don't like plots, I'm not into this stuff. Cinema is pure, it's not photographing a stage play, it's not photographing a book, it's pure, it's its own medium.
He speaks further about this, but that's the best snapshot quote. Star Wars doesn't entirely follow this completely 'pure' line, but his earlier films like THX do, and you can see elements of this purist style peeking through at various points in his more commercially oriented films. He's talks about how he wants (and wanted) to return to his early days of making more experimental films. The whole interview is interesting, if you find yourself needing to kill an hour and a half.

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
Taken from this interview, talking about his early career, starting roughly at 27:02:

He speaks further about this, but that's the best snapshot quote. Star Wars doesn't entirely follow this completely 'pure' line, but his earlier films like THX do, and you can see elements of this purist style peeking through at various points in his more commercially oriented films. He's talks about how he wants (and wanted) to return to his early days of making more experimental films. The whole interview is interesting, if you find yourself needing to kill an hour and a half.
I love watching interviews of film makers and critics, so it's quite the catch. Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: CapeKnight

ColdOnes

kiwifarms.net
I love watching interviews of film makers and critics, so it's quite the catch. Thank you.
One thing I've noticed after watching countless interviews of directors talking about movies is that they hardly talk the about the plot of the movie, but rather the themes, ideas, emotions and filmmaking techniques of those movies. Makes most Youtube movie analysis channels look so superficial (and probably why I grew to dislike them).

HavaLottaTimetoSpare

kiwifarms.net
One thing I've noticed after watching countless interviews of directors talking about movies is that they hardly talk the about the plot of the movie, but rather the themes, ideas, emotions and filmmaking techniques of those movies. Makes most Youtube movie analysis channels look so superficial (and probably why I grew to dislike them).
The script is only one tool of many to the director, but Youtube chuds tend to just see films at moving wiki articles. It's like a book critic shouting "I don't care about sentence structure or prose style, THESE NOUNS ARE INCONSISTANT!"

I've seen them and he's definitely a lot more experienced, and I got to respect him for that. Though, I'm not that big a fan of his reviews. I find them very pedantic, ironically, similar to Mauler's reviews in a way though granted they're a lot more entertaining and much shorter. I also find Adam to be a lot more bearable and combined with his experience, I feel more forgiving towards his style of review than I do Mauler, who is far more arrogant and ignorant. Making it harder for me to excuse his methods of critique.
One thing I appreciate about him is that he brings attention to obscure, independent, and foreign films through his quickies since he actually attends film festivals whenever he can. Meanwhile, Mauler is out there saying Infinity War was film of the year and people actually agreeing with him
Definitely but at least he's self-aware and honest about it, unlike Rags who tries to either say he's not or tip toes around the subject in EFAP sessions.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I think it's kind of in the middle. While a good movie transcends its script, there is definitely some trend of movie makers stuck in their own ass and cowering beyond the emotional impact of the films. MauLer didn't come from the ether but like everything in the internet he is the extremism of the other side.

TheImportantFart

Ronnie Barking Spider
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do think the screenplay is more important than some people seem to think. No amount of fancy camera angles or good acting will save a truly terrible script, but at the same time, a good script can be completely ruined with poor execution. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably doesn't understand the process of filmmaking and what it actually takes to get something off the page and into something resembling a decent film. To say it's the only thing that matters in a film is absurdly reductive, and I say this as someone who does screenwriting as a hobby.

This is why I like RedLetterMedia so much, and why they're the only YouTube film critics I've stuck with over the years. They're filmmakers themselves, so they understand the process and craft far better than half these idiots, and yet still don't huff their own farts, take things ridiculously seriously or get involved in stupid slapfights with nobodies.

I do think the screenplay is more important than some people seem to think. No amount of fancy camera angles or good acting will save a truly terrible script, but at the same time, a good script can be completely ruined with poor execution. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably doesn't understand the process of filmmaking and what it actually takes to get something off the page and into something resembling a decent film. To say it's the only thing that matters in a film is absurdly reductive, and I say this as someone who does screenwriting as a hobby.
It can work the other way too, an average script could be elevated by great acting and direction.
Like imagine if Mauler tried to judge The Raid entirely on it's script or reviewed a Wes Anderson movie without acknowledging the visuals, he'll be missing out on a lot of the elements that make up a movie.
Might as well have your channel exclusively review screenplays instead, which would actually be interesting if Mauler wasn't Cinemasins but unironically.

Tags
None