Callum Nathan Thomas Edmunds / MauLer93 / MauLer - Discussion of a youtube reviewer

Are MauLer's videos too long?

• Yes

Votes: 52 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 120 29.3%
  • Fuck YES

Votes: 237 57.9%

• Total voters

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if anyone posted this earlier but Mauler Tweeted a week ago that the TFA review part 3 was coming out in 2-4 weeks and will be 3 hours 50 minutes. Jokes aside expect the next one soon.
Jesus Christ.... that's the length of the extended edition of Return of the King without credits.
This is insane.
I'm autistic as fuck but this guy.... this guy.....
7178303.gif

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
At that point, why even bother watching his analysis? It would literally take less time to watch the movie at least several times over and form your own opinion of the movie. At least Plinkett's stuff never exceeded the length of the media he's covering.
Honestly wish people would stop using the bloody "d0N't m5ke 1T looonger tHan the MeDiA yoUr c0VEring" line, there can be plenty of stuff that warrants a long ass analysis, and it can be done well. He has length related issues for sure, like not consolidating points, or going on tangents about stuff that really don't matter much for the topic he's covering, but how long it is doesn't really matter.

The Old Lurker

Jungle Jitters
kiwifarms.net
Honestly wish people would stop using the bloody "d0N't m5ke 1T looonger tHan the MeDiA yoUr c0VEring" line, there can be plenty of stuff that warrants a long ass analysis, and it can be done well. He has length related issues for sure, like not consolidating points, or going on tangents about stuff that really don't matter much for the topic he's covering, but how long it is doesn't really matter.
I agree, but once you hit over 4 hours on a film/video you need to have an actual thesis and clear points. Mauler doesn't do that and several hours of his videos are just an excruciating slow plot summery, Nostalgia Critic style. I could very well just watch the original movie in that time and get way more out of it. If he was actually tackling aspects of the film he found disagreeable or building up arguments with evidence the time spent would be worthwhile.
There are plenty of great content creators who do 1-2 hour videos worth watching, people who actually dig into the meat of the topic. Mauler isn't one of them. In fact the length of his videos is actively detrimental, not only does it give a bloated run-time filled with filler but it actually obfuscates his main points. He does eventually attempt to summarize why a movie doesn't work, and he peppers in more developed points throughout the review, but it is buried under piles of shit that don't matter.

Mauler needs to completely reorganize his videos to figure out what he actually wants to say and trim the fat to ensure the valuable information reaches the viewer. If after laying it out it's still long so be it, he then would just have a lot to say, but as it stands he is making a 20 minute video and stretching it out over several hours and you can't ignore that as a major issue.

Last edited:

AnAccount

kiwifarms.net
this issue isn't he's Taking a long time to say a lot. It's that he takes a ridiculous amount of time to say very little.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
It's not just the length.
I like Plinkett and some of that stuff is long but he has an opening thesis, then he breaks shit down to clear points where he explains why the movie doesn't work.

MauLer just goes through every fucking moment and complains. Even if he has to complain 8 times, for an hour in total, about multiple instances of a movie doing something repeatedly, instead of just picking an example and just mentioning the others briefly as "that but again".
Do that all the time and you shave 70% of the length of his videos.

Sometimes, he will just attack a clearly stylistic choice (like that flashing light on the Stormtroopers at the start of TFA in order to make them more menacing before they get out and burn down a village).
Doesn't matter if the movie wouldn't look as good and be less memorable without that choice, it breaks the 100% air tight internal consistency and therefore it's bad.

He will go after stuff that changes the movie in no way whatsoever.
Like, when a character says some exposition. Doesn't matter what it is, it's just a throwaway line, if he said something else, the movie would look exactly the same to the frame, except he would say another thing, never will be brought up again but MauLer asks 20 questions in relation to it and wastes 10 minutes on it.
That's some major OCD, bruh.

Meanwhile, he will ignore amazing visuals and say they don't matter. He will ignore amazing music and say it doesn't matter. He will ignore amazing performances and say they don't matter. He will ignore powerful emotional moments that make you feel something and say they don't matter.
Only the words in the script matter... and you have to analyze every word... and that's when you're good.

Have you noticed that I've made this post long and yet, there's a clear structure and separation of different points?
It's not a jumbled mess of 10000 characters like each one of MauLer's videos :)

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if anyone posted this earlier but Mauler Tweeted a week ago that the TFA review part 3 was coming out in 2-4 weeks and will be 3 hours 50 minutes. Jokes aside expect the next one soon.
"3 hours 50 minutes"
So how do you think the time's gonna be spent? I'd say an hour and a half of tangents about objectivity and e-celebs, an hour of "analysis" then another hour of dramawhoring and referencing EFAP memes.

PenguinSuitAlice

Frosty Witch of Mad Fancy
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently watching the present EFAP. It's a awful negative review of the Lord of the Rings. The pausing is pretty annoying and the review is terrible but it is funny to see Mauler and co. be completely livid at an incredibly minor YouTuber for attacking their sacred cow. I'm actually pretty lukewarm towards the lotr movies, mostly because I have a massive prejudice against adaptions, so the fact that it is very clear they haven't read the book bothers me a bit. Also I think it is notable to point out that the very first thing that is said when they started watching the review was Rags insulting the reviewer's appearance. Most of this reviewer's videos don't break a thousand views. I wish they would just ignore small harmless channels. I'll continue watching it in case something interesting happens.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
At that point, why even bother watching his analysis? It would literally take less time to watch the movie at least several times over and form your own opinion of the movie. At least Plinkett's stuff never exceeded the length of the media he's covering.
I very much question the sanity of anyone watching Mauler's content for anything but filling dead air while doing repetitive tasks.

Anyways, there was Joseph Anderson's four hour Witcher 1 review but that was:
  1. About a 10+ hours game with multiple routes.
  2. Was pretty well structured and self contained, with a lot of references for other Witcher media rather than tangents into small stuff.
  3. Argued for both good and bad aspects rather than a forced argument why it's bad once nu-SW became a toxic franchise.
Also, EFAP really reminds me of obnoxious forum users who, rather than argue to the whole points of other users, just argue it line by line, making any reply time consuming and not worth it.

Quintex96

kiwifarms.net
It's not just the length.
I like Plinkett and some of that stuff is long but he has an opening thesis, then he breaks shit down to clear points where he explains why the movie doesn't work.

MauLer just goes through every fucking moment and complains. Even if he has to complain 8 times, for an hour in total, about multiple instances of a movie doing something repeatedly, instead of just picking an example and just mentioning the others briefly as "that but again".
Do that all the time and you shave 70% of the length of his videos.

Sometimes, he will just attack a clearly stylistic choice (like that flashing light on the Stormtroopers at the start of TFA in order to make them more menacing before they get out and burn down a village).
Doesn't matter if the movie wouldn't look as good and be less memorable without that choice, it breaks the 100% air tight internal consistency and therefore it's bad.

He will go after stuff that changes the movie in no way whatsoever.
Like, when a character says some exposition. Doesn't matter what it is, it's just a throwaway line, if he said something else, the movie would look exactly the same to the frame, except he would say another thing, never will be brought up again but MauLer asks 20 questions in relation to it and wastes 10 minutes on it.
That's some major OCD, bruh.

Meanwhile, he will ignore amazing visuals and say they don't matter. He will ignore amazing music and say it doesn't matter. He will ignore amazing performances and say they don't matter. He will ignore powerful emotional moments that make you feel something and say they don't matter.
Only the words in the script matter... and you have to analyze every word... and that's when you're good.

Have you noticed that I've made this post long and yet, there's a clear structure and separation of different points?
It's not a jumbled mess of 10000 characters like each one of MauLer's videos :)
Mauler is the Tim Buckley of Video Essyists. EFAP is the CTRL+ALT+DEL of mediocre media podasts

biscuitscilia

kiwifarms.net
I'd agree that it doesn't matter how long your content is as long as you articulate your points and put effort into the commentary. The problem with Mauler is that he doesn't do that, opting instead to be pedantic and harping on throwaway lines of dialogue by writing a cluster of words that give off the appearance of analysis but is just literally stating what's happening and going "and that's stupid." His content could be cut in half if he just put the slightest effort into organizing his writing.
It'd be like watching Sargon spend 4 hours talking about Feminist Frequency. You get it what he's trying to say in the first ten minutes, "Feminism bad, Anita dumb." You don't need to waste half a day of my life nailing in that point.

Elescondio20

kiwifarms.net
"3 hours 50 minutes"
So how do you think the time's gonna be spent? I'd say an hour and a half of tangents about objectivity and e-celebs, an hour of "analysis" then another hour of dramawhoring and referencing EFAP memes.
I think it's finally time for him to make a 1 hour rant about Jack Saint, he took like 10 minutes to rant about hbomberguy and dan olson based on a couple of tweets... i wonder what we'll he do about all the interactions they had.

I think the first time i realize how much of an insecure bitch mauler was that time he had geek+gamers on just to bitch about Jack Saint.... why insert himself onto drama that had nothing to do with him ?

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net
I wish they would just ignore small harmless channels. I'll continue watching it in case something interesting happens.
The dude is such a narc he will go out of his way to find posts on Twitter of some literally who with 10 followers making fun of him and sperging out about it, he's not going to hold his punches against someone who disagrees with his TOTALLY OBJECTIVE opinion about a movie he likes.

Also lmao Rags is such a catty bitch, why are gay dudes always like this?

PenguinSuitAlice

Frosty Witch of Mad Fancy
kiwifarms.net
The dude is such a narc he will go out of his way to find posts on Twitter of some literally who with 10 followers making fun of him and sperging out about it, he's not going to hold his punches against someone who disagrees with his TOTALLY OBJECTIVE opinion about a movie he likes.
To be fair the guy they were targeting was a complete idiot with imbecilic arguments who is a Doug Walker worshipper and a massive Potterhead. Here's a link to the original video if you want to watch it without interruptions by Mauler and friends. It was more exasperating than funny. Even Mauler pointed out that he was making the same 4 bad arguments. But that made the fact that they were pausing every 7 seconds more painful because they were just bringing up the same points and fanboying over the movies in 15 minute tangents. I haven't watched a proper EFAP in some time, so I forgot how annoying that was and how much they need to structure their podcast.

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
To be fair the guy they were targeting was a complete idiot with imbecilic arguments who is a Doug Walker worshipper and a massive Potterhead. Here's a link to the original video if you want to watch it without interruptions by Mauler and friends. It was more exasperating than funny. Even Mauler pointed out that he was making the same 4 bad arguments. But that made the fact that they were pausing every 7 seconds more painful because they were just bringing up the same points and fanboying over the movies in 15 minute tangents. I haven't watched a proper EFAP in some time, so I forgot how annoying that was and how much they need to structure their podcast.
I'm sure the guy is an idiot, but he also has 12.3K subs. Why give a nobody like that attention? It's bad enough having one channel with over 100K subs punching down on him, let alone four, and this is the video Armoured Skeptic - with half a million subs - gets brought in for. Yeah, he's going to be losing subs now that he and Shoe have broken up, but he's still a prominent YouTuber who shouldn't care about this dumbass. Most people clearly don't give a shit about him.

On a side note, I noticed he did a video on Arrival, which Jay and Wolf had a debate over. Wonder what they would think about that video.

Tags
None