Callum Nathan Thomas Edmunds / MauLer93 / MauLer - Discussion of a youtube reviewer

Are MauLer's videos too long?

• Yes

Votes: 52 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 120 29.4%
  • Fuck YES

Votes: 236 57.8%

• Total voters

Shieldman

kiwifarms.net
He's doing a "Rage" style video on the game, which means he's gonna further push back GoT and/or Joker and whatever else he has promised up until this point.
He was asked on a superchat if he was going to cover Dunkey's video and didn't gave a clear answer. My money is on the Girlfriend's review one because it's pretty low hanging fruit. Just Write also did one and it's a likely candidate.

• Lunacy
Reactions: Draza

bigbombguy2222

kiwifarms.net
He's doing a "Rage" style video on the game, which means he's gonna further push back GoT and/or Joker and whatever else he has promised up until this point.
He was asked on a superchat if he was going to cover Dunkey's video and didn't gave a clear answer. My money is on the Girlfriend's review one because it's pretty low hanging fruit. Just Write also did one and it's a likely candidate.
GoT bashing's old hat, haven't you heard? Why finish that when there's new outrage you can coast off of for more views?

Draza

Drinks on me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If it's TLOU2 rage then that will be very disappointing, but not surprising to say at least.

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
That makes me think they watched Filmento's video explaining why Knives out worked where The Last Jedi failed. Bold of them to go after a film reviewer on YT who is infinitely better at their job than they are, and can explain why a film works/doesn't work in 12-15 min(ish).

Also, as for MauLer's dabbling with TLOU2 - it's really pathetic. At least with Star Wars and Marvel films I can tell he has some vested interest in the franchise, which provides some justification for his spergfest videos, But TLOU2 is 100% bandwagoning, because afaik he hadn't even played TLOU1 until like a week or 2 ago? I can somewhat understand sperginess when your passionate about a subject, I mean who'm amongst us hasn't thought about typing a 10000 word essay about something we loved or hated?
Now I wanna listen to them try to take down Filmento, because that guy is 120% better at articulating actual structural problems that drag movies down rather than nitpicking. He's not perfect, for some reason he stans hardcore for Pirates III, which was absolute nonsense. But he knows that a movie isn't killed by a single baby plothole.

I like some of Critical Drinker's stuff, his take on movie censorship was poignant and heartfelt, but he's running with a bad crowd and it's leaching through. He also needs to cut all the stupid punchline gags. All of them. They're the worst part of his videos.

While he did a vicious takedown of the TLOU2 leaks, he later released a video that was more evenhanded at the game, praising parts of it. So I give him a tiny bit of credit. Everyone in his audience wanted to see him savage that game, but he was honest in how he felt. Wonder how Mauler will handle talking to someone who tries to defend it?

FaramirG

kiwifarms.net
GoT bashing's old hat, haven't you heard? Why finish that when there's new outrage you can coast off of for more views?
GOT really just vanished from online/pop culture. There was like a month of everyone shitting on season 8 and then it was like the show never existed. Meanwhile there's still a seemingly endless amount of raging over TLJ, I don't get it at all.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Now I wanna listen to them try to take down Filmento, because that guy is 120% better at articulating actual structural problems that drag movies down rather than nitpicking. He's not perfect, for some reason he stans hardcore for Pirates III, which was absolute nonsense. But he knows that a movie isn't killed by a single baby plothole.

I like some of Critical Drinker's stuff, his take on movie censorship was poignant and heartfelt, but he's running with a bad crowd and it's leaching through. He also needs to cut all the stupid punchline gags. All of them. They're the worst part of his videos.

While he did a vicious takedown of the TLOU2 leaks, he later released a video that was more evenhanded at the game, praising parts of it. So I give him a tiny bit of credit. Everyone in his audience wanted to see him savage that game, but he was honest in how he felt. Wonder how Mauler will handle talking to someone who tries to defend it?
EFAP vs Filmento would be a massacre. Filmento actually watches movies that aren't Cape shit and knows how to break down a movie. EFAP can't even articulate why the prequels are bad movies. I'd love to see it.

And he's right about Pirates 3. The problem with 3 has to done with it really being a part 2 movie before they did that, but everything Filmento has praised the movie for was deserved and he has done a very good job articulating why.

GOT really just vanished from online/pop culture. There was like a month of everyone shitting on season 8 and then it was like the show never existed. Meanwhile there's still a seemingly endless amount of raging over TLJ, I don't get it at all.
Macabre Storytelling is still talking about GoT season 8. Theres another youtuber who is trying to get the word out that D&D lied to Emelia Clarke about the last episode and the script was changed on her and how bad they are for it. That guys a bit of a simp but it's out there. The masses have moved on because it's a shitty ending to a tv show that could have been an all time great and they pissed it away. Honestly it might be too painful for most people to keep talking about it. It's still too soon. If it ended well people would be rewatching it now during this lockdown. Everytime I think of rewatching the series I remember season 8 and say forget. I cant be the only one.

HavaLottaTimetoSpare

kiwifarms.net
My only explanation is that GoT season 8 killed it's franchise, with basically no chance of recovery, where as TLJ was, no matter what the loud parts of the internet say, very successful, and the Star Wars brand is as strong as it ever was, especially as the book/TV/comics parts of it have never been worse that 'eh, it's ok' under Disney. I think TRoS is the better comparison to GoT season 8, bot GoT doesn't have a The Mandalorian to bandage the wound, so to speak.

Basically, people are salty that TLJ WASN'T a franchise ruining disaster, because that would have 'justified' their opinion, and hoe's wanna be mad.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
My only explanation is that GoT season 8 killed it's franchise, with basically no chance of recovery, where as TLJ was, no matter what the loud parts of the internet say, very successful, and the Star Wars brand is as strong as it ever was, especially as the book/TV/comics parts of it have never been worse that 'eh, it's ok' under Disney. I think TRoS is the better comparison to GoT season 8, bot GoT doesn't have a The Mandalorian to bandage the wound, so to speak.

Basically, people are salty that TLJ WASN'T a franchise ruining disaster, because that would have 'justified' their opinion, and hoe's wanna be mad.
None of this is true. TLJ was a franchise ruining film even if the box office for the movie wasnt as horrible as it could have been. It completely fractured its fanbase, the merchandise for SW is dead, the comics and books are failing, literally the ONLY positive thing going for SW atm is the Mandalorian and that's an above average show at best.

Not to mention Disney is still in the red from the purchase of Lucasfilm overall.

SW means more to people than GoTs ever did or will. People grew up with SW, it's been around for multiple generations. That's why its destruction is still being talked about.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Neetness

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
EFAP vs Filmento would be a massacre. Filmento actually watches movies that aren't Cape shit and knows how to break down a movie. EFAP can't even articulate why the prequels are bad movies. I'd love to see it.

And he's right about Pirates 3. The problem with 3 has to done with it really being a part 2 movie before they did that, but everything Filmento has praised the movie for was deserved and he has done a very good job articulating why.
I guess my main criticism of Pirates 3 is how bloated the script was, and how it added even more unnecessary MacGuffins like the seven pieces of eight. By the time we got to the end I was too exhausted to care about much. And I hated the ending of Will only getting to see Elizabeth once every ten years. So like...six more times in their entire lifetimes. But Filmento's praise of other points is justified.

AnAccount

kiwifarms.net
TLJ didn't kill star wars and didn't have remotely as negative effect as the Game of thrones finale

It's really hard to overstate how much momentum was behind GOT and how immediately it's been forgotten and how still ever present star wars is, weakened but not remotely dead. I'll rebound in a few years

A.Shitposter

Gossiping Hen
kiwifarms.net

It's because Star Wars is a massive property that fanboys think they have the final say in despite it being catered to people who didn't care about it and would have mocked fanboys of it in the 80's. Even if this trilogy was bad people know this entire franchise is a blockbuster spectacle and they're going to pump out more Star Wars movies and they'll likely have enough explosions to keep audiences entertained.

GoT on the other hand was a serious adaptation of a popular book series and was a phenomenon, it ending so poorly due to the creators running out of book and their comments about it may have actually damaged the creators careers while everyone waits for the final book to be completed to get the real ending of the series.

• Agree
Reactions: Draza

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
A big difference between TLJ and GoT S8 is a lot of people actually liked TLJ. Despite picking up a bunch of Emmys, the audience was pretty unanimous in their dislike for the final season. But seeing so many legitimately consider TLJ to be a good film angered those who hated it even more. So the discussion continues over TLJ because there's an ongoing debate. Or more specifically, the people who hate it won't stop until virtually everyone admits it was bad and they're proven right - which will be never.

Even the discussion over TRoS wasn't about whether it was bad. Pretty much everyone agreed it was bad. But the people who liked and hated TLJ still couldn't get along because they blamed each other for how TRoS turned out. Those who hated TLJ blamed TLJ for giving JJ nothing to work with and forcing him to do damage control on short notice. Those who liked TLJ blamed the haters for making Disney/Lucasfilm cave to their demands and retcon TLJ. But at least Star Wars fans can ignore the sequel trilogy because RotJ still functions as a proper conclusion. The same can't be said about GoT because we all know the books are never being finished.

BR55

kiwifarms.net
The ending of GOT S8 was nigh universally derided as utterly terrible.
Pretty much everyone agreed they dropped the ball.
TLJ on the other does have defenders and is part of a much larger franchise as well.
But the fact that GOT has vanished so completely from popular culture is still amazing to me.
It was only like a year ago that it ended.
Although with 2020 "a year ago" might as well be a lifetime for how distant it feels.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The ending of GOT S8 was nigh universally derided as utterly terrible.
Pretty much everyone agreed they dropped the ball.
TLJ on the other does have defenders and is part of a much larger franchise as well.
But the fact that GOT has vanished so completely from popular culture is still amazing to me.
It was only like a year ago that it ended.
Although with 2020 "a year ago" might as well be a lifetime for how distant it feels.
There's probably a potential for for a thesis in psychology on how, despite people using pop culture to define themselves, the minute it becomes unsalvagebly bad (not for example having the creators engage in wrong think) then people just move on and ignore it completely.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BR55

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
TLJ didn't kill star wars and didn't have remotely as negative effect as the Game of thrones finale
TLJ killed the Sequel Trilogy and any chance of having good storytelling in Star Wars. The movie structure felt more like the final act of a story than the middle episode of a trilogy.
The finale of Game of Thrones is the least of its problems. The show started going downhill during season 6 when they ran out of books. Season 8 is the consequence of 2 hacks being tired of working on a show that they never really understood all while busy negociating their contracts with other studios.

Cemila Mandes

kiwifarms.net
TLJ killed the Sequel Trilogy and any chance of having good storytelling in Star Wars. The movie structure felt more like the final act of a story than the middle episode of a trilogy.
The finale of Game of Thrones is the least of its problems. The show started going downhill during season 6 when they ran out of books. Season 8 is the consequence of 2 hacks being tired of working on a show that they never really understood all while busy negociating their contracts with other studios.
Killing the sequel trilogy isn't a big loss because the original trilogy is still a complete story. The sequel trilogy exists only to stretch out the story for $$$, which was most clear with TFA and TRoS being remakes of the original Star Wars and RotJ. GoT S8 was needed to give the story a true ending, especially when the source material doesn't have an ending to fall back on. While the problems started once D&D demonstrated they were useless without GRRM guiding them, there was still a chance to save the show. It never happened. Star Wars fans can easily ignore the sequel trilogy, but GoT will forever be tarnished by its one ending unless HBO pulls an Evangelion and creates a film with a new ending.

PenguinSuitAlice

Frosty Witch of Mad Fancy
kiwifarms.net
On a different note, as I said earlier, Mauler plans to create a TLOU2 review followed by a Knives Out review before his next TFA part. Both will probably be Unbridled Rages. I'm just baffled that he wants to make a Knives Out review. I guess it is a way of extending the Rian Johnson hate train rail line a few extra miles. But that is a movie that became completely irrelevant months ago. At least TLOUs still has some steam left in it, but Knives Out is mostly forgotten at this point. I guess it continues to show how reliant he is of TLJ, and by extension, Rian Johnson. I wonder when his next Gotham High riff will come out on J Longbone's channel (It's probably all recorded but not edited). I was recently wondering if that is a sign of his dabbling in the inevitable death of the Western Comic book industry, which itself is a dying hate trend, to be honest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Korpon and Draza
Tags
None