Can there be normal people in lolcow fandoms? -

Princess Peaches

We work for 40 years and then we die.
kiwifarms.net
Slight power level, but I am a Sonic fan. Am I at Chris levels of cringe? No. I only talk about the series with other fans or at times when it is relevant.

My question is, is it possible to be a normal fan despite a lolcowish fan base? Can there be normal sonic fans, bronies, possibly normal furries? Discuss below, I am curious to see what other Kiwis think.

Stardust

Ģιίττεર ƣƲεεɴ
kiwifarms.net
Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: One of the biggest differences between "normal" and lolcow is moderation. Basically, not allowing mediums to consume your identity, and knowing when a topic or interest is appropriate to incorporate or discuss.

In other words, don't sperg about Sanik 24/7. Have a life.

Clown Baby

we're really nice now
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If someone is a furry or a brony "normal" is not a word that could ever be used to describe them, but if they aren't using social media to attention whore on a regular basis I probably wouldnt think they're a lolcow. They should still be embarrassed.

If op made this thread to figure out if they're a lolcow or not, my answer is maybe.

Harnessed Carcass

Don't forget to pat the bunny
kiwifarms.net
If someone is a furry or a brony "normal" is not a word that could ever be used to describe them, but if they aren't using social media to attention whore on a regular basis I probably wouldnt think they're a lolcow. They should still be embarrassed.

If op made this thread to figure out if they're a lolcow or not, my answer is maybe.
Shhhhhhhh, you gotta say it subtlety

William Tell Underpass

#ApplesForHobos
kiwifarms.net
I would say there is a necessary difference to acknowledge between a fan, a group of fans, and a fandom.

A fan enjoys something.

A group of fans enjoy something together.

A fandom is a society based on the enjoyment of something.
Societies develop a culture, joining the fandom shows you are engaged in that culture.
All cultures tend to be quite strange as it is a separation from the wider society.
As a culture develops it naturally expands to engage its membership at all times.
As a culture develops, it necessarily creates an in group, and silences its members to external ideas.

You now have a group of people who have invested a significant proportion of their lives into an insular, potentially unhealthy culture which deafens them to the wider society.

So yes. Balancing the relative levels of what it takes to be a lolcow between your family/friends and /b/, you are comparable to Chris-chan.

Princess Peaches

kiwifarms.net

I didn't, I just wanted to know what other Kiwis thought about this topic. I do deserve the autismo ratings for admitting I'm a sonic fan though so that's fair.

Easterling

In ancient Greece statues tear you down
kiwifarms.net
I didn't, I just wanted to know what other Kiwis thought about this topic. I do deserve the autismo ratings for admitting I'm a sonic fan though so that's fair.
Your just unlucky Sonic is kinda of a focal point for autists, the distiction I make is its okay having a hobby, its fine for that hobby to be part of your life. But you shouldnt let that hobby or interest define you in any way, diversify yourself and have several interests and better yet dont centre them all around pop culture and video games.

Princess Peaches

kiwifarms.net
Your just unlucky Sonic is kinda of a focal point for autists, the distiction I make is its okay having a hobby, its fine for that hobby to be part of your life. But you shouldnt let that hobby or interest define you in any way, diversify yourself and have several interests and better yet dont centre them all around pop culture and video games.
Thanks! Yeah I have interests outside of pop culture and working retail has helped with social anxiety and made small talk really easy.

• Feels
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you're not deranged, but you're surrounded by deranged people, you're going to get fed up and leave sooner or later. You can still enjoy the subject of the fandom, just not the fandom itself. Lots of them having to do with games are full of people who got sick of the game ages ago, but keep playing because autism. Those are the kind of people that leave negative reviews on Steam despite having over a thousand hours of playtime.

Speaking of games, it sucks to be a fan of a really niche game, and have to wade through its fandom's bullshit to find mods/content/etc.

Tags
None