Can UBI Eliminate Poverty? - Hahaha! Fuck no!

• Copy+pasting images with your clipboard now works again, ending the two-month reign of terror we endured of the prior notice.

Can UBI actually work?

• Yes

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 60 65.2%
  • YangGang 2020

Votes: 28 30.4%

• Total voters

Simply Outplayed

kiwifarms.net
I trust the rest of the world is willing to increase their military spending? Because for most of them, the only thing keeping the crazy man across their border on his side of the border is the lingering threat of Scary American Soldiers wrecking his shit.

But you'll just go ahead and assume that your vague acquaintance with movies and propaganda gives you a complete picture of American life that we Americans, for some strange reason, lack.

That's strange; I remember it wasn't that long ago when Uganda was suddenly the most barbaric nation on the face of the planet and if we didn't do something right now to stop their evil homophobic barbarism, the world would end.

If you was American, you probably would "feel" all those things, because I can't imagine there isn't some genetic component to your problems. And you'd still be wrong.

This is a Sargon video in text form. Taking snippets of someone you disagree with, making no substantive critiques and being a tard about the entire thing.

Drunk and Pour

kiwifarms.net
No. You can't get rid of poverty. Giving everybody a thousand dollars a month would just set that as the new poverty line. You might as well be everybody a penny a month. Who gets the UBI? "Everybody"? Someone that makes a million dollars a year or more? Why would they need it? If someone makes $800 a month, does the extra $1000 get added on to it? Regardless, why would you work if you get paid more to do nothing? Plus, you know, why are we going to force a federal $15 minimum wage while letting the country be flooded with illegals that are allowed to do if for less than half the price? I thought $15 minimum was the standard of living, why are we creating a non-white, non-American class that live below the standard of living?

Lemmingwise

I paid the right click price, not the crypto price
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
there has never been a real UBI experiment because that is pretty much impossible to do.
most of these experiments are some variation of "you get X amount in cash every month for the next few years and then it's over" which is a VERY different situation than the actual UBI idea of "you and everybody you know will get X amount in cash every month, forever"

this difference alone completely invalidates all these results that UBI proponents point to when they say "look people on UBI will continue working as normal, not problem here!"
like duh, of fucking course they will keep working when they know that the monthly free checks will stop coming in next year.

So to do a real test we need a utopian example, where you're assured that you'll receive UBI for your entire lifespan?

That's basicly more security (and expenses) than what european style pensions offer.

Lemmingwise

I paid the right click price, not the crypto price
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yeah that's what you would have to do if you want to study the actual effects of UBI on people.
for actually usfeul results you would have to do this to an entire community (town or city) at once, but of course doing that would be prohibitively expensive.

I can promise you now that it won't be useful results.

dirtydeanna96

kiwifarms.net
If you're already unemployed or on NEETbux you probably already qualify for various gov benefits. Social security, HUD, Veterans Benefits, Medicaid, Medicare, Food stamps, WIC. Heating help. Section 8. For people who have no money and are really starving, these are (or should be) as good as cash

It sounds like yang wants to give poor people $12K a year and cut off all benefits.
This trims government spending and gets lots of people just above the poverty level. ($11,700 annually)

Imagine if phill (isabelle) only got cash and no sec 8 or food stamps? People like him would blow their "Fresh Money" on shit. No food no rent
Tards need to be protected from themselves

My state government gave people cash (between $100 and $400 per individual annually) ostensibly to pay the light bill.
one year my state changed, and decided to give the funds (monies, lol) directly to the electric company.
people were up in arms! they didn't get their cash! probably pissed not to have free drug money from Sam, their favorite uncle.

Last edited:

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
A UBI alone can’t do it, but perhaps a UBI combined with other policies and stronger anti monopoly laws/ nationalization could greatly reduce absolute poverty but not relative poverty.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
The only people seriously advocating for UBI are Chris Chan level NEETS who treat getting a job and working for what you want like Pazuzu getting splashed with holy water in The Exorcist.

Dante Alighieri

"Nature is the art of God."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It sounds like yang wants to give poor people $12K a year and cut off all benefits.
This trims government spending and gets lots of people just above the poverty level. ($11,700 annually)
As if that's feasible. The only way benefits are ever going down is if the government completely shuts down in a civil war or natural disaster.

Kaiser Wilhelm's Ghost

kiwifarms.net
Switzerland had a referendum on UBI with the clause that UBI would be subsidized by the removal of all welfare payments and programs if implemented. The Swiss as a nationality, hate welfare in general and most consider it a necessary evil and would love to see it done away with. UBI was still voted down because it was considered still uneconomical.

lurk_moar

Three Time Survivor of the Rona Jab
kiwifarms.net
My ideal UBI conditions.

UBI for anybody (US citizens) between 18 to retirement age. Retirement age gets social security based upon income and years paid into the system. No more welfare, WIC, food stamps, unemployed, TANF cash assistance, SSI, disability ect, but FAFSA is still a thing.

Children under 18 won’t be getting UBI because it will be an incentive for the undesirables to breed for $$$$.

I think if UBI were a thing, many people would dropout of the workforce, and automation would sharply increase. When people are idle and out of the workforce, they won’t be reading the works of Marcus Aurelius or Voltaire, they would be committing crimes, drinking, using drugs, or parked in front of the idiotbox. I think UBI would push more industries to automate.

What’s the point of working hard in school or learning anything when you can just collect a sweet, sweet grand a month for being human. I think America will become idiocracy a lot quicker with UBI.

On the rational side, ten Benjamins a month for a single person is barely enough to get by. Twenty Benjamins a month for a family of four can be done with frugality and sacrifice. I think even with UBI, well paying, hard to automate middle class jobs will still be filled with people passionate about their line of work. Not everybody would want to sit on their duff to collect UBI, only the lazy unskilled people with low ambitions. Most people would be unsatisfied living off of a grand a month, so people will still work.

UBI would be a huge boost for broke college students and struggling twenty somethings.

I work in health care, so universal health is a debate for another day. Even without UBH, some days I feel like it’s the hellidays at Wallyworld or because people are rational enough not enter a profession that handles hazardous human body fluids with potential to accidental infect yourself with Hep C ten to twelve hours a day.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My ideal UBI conditions.

UBI for anybody (US citizens) between 18 to retirement age. Retirement age gets social security based upon income and years paid into the system. No more welfare, WIC, food stamps, unemployed, TANF cash assistance, SSI, disability ect, but FAFSA is still a thing.

Children under 18 won’t be getting UBI because it will be an incentive for the undesirables to breed for $$$$.

I think if UBI were a thing, many people would dropout of the workforce, and automation would sharply increase. When people are idle and out of the workforce, they won’t be reading the works of Marcus Aurelius or Voltaire, they would be committing crimes, drinking, using drugs, or parked in front of the idiotbox. I think UBI would push more industries to automate.

What’s the point of working hard in school or learning anything when you can just collect a sweet, sweet grand a month for being human. I think America will become idiocracy a lot quicker with UBI.

On the rational side, ten Benjamins a month for a single person is barely enough to get by. Twenty Benjamins a month for a family of four can be done with frugality and sacrifice. I think even with UBI, well paying, hard to automate middle class jobs will still be filled with people passionate about their line of work. Not everybody would want to sit on their duff to collect UBI, only the lazy unskilled people with low ambitions. Most people would be unsatisfied living off of a grand a month, so people will still work.

UBI would be a huge boost for broke college students and struggling twenty somethings.

I work in health care, so universal health is a debate for another day. Even without UBH, some days I feel like it’s the hellidays at Wallyworld or because people are rational enough not enter a profession that handles hazardous human body fluids with potential to accidental infect yourself with Hep C ten to twelve hours a day.
You're a big dumb gay.