Can you be in lolcow fandoms without being a lolcow?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I booted up the Mario game, and I was greeted with a horrific sight... a crudely drawn Mario was standing at the edge of a platform, and proudly declared "Time to take a piss!". I was then greeted to hyper realistic piss with hyper realistic piss sounds. In a combination of horror and visible confusion, a goomba walked up. He hesitantly asked "What the hell are you doing?". Mario, not even batting an eye, continuing to say in the position he was in responds angrily with "I'm taking a piss!". The goomba is now concerned. With a bit more confidence he asks "Okay, but why aren't you jumping at me? That's what you're supposed to do.". Mario, with a hyper realistic angry expression then screams "I might do it fucking later!". At this point, the goomba realized he had made a terrible mistake. The goomba, intimidated, but ready to object then raises his voice at Mario, saying "No! I'm a motherfucking enemy, you're SUPPOSED to jump at me!!" Mario then says in a giddy, relaxed tone "Okey dokey, then. Let me pull up my pants again first and then MAYBE I'll jump on you.". This sends the goomba into a spiral of anger. "Maybe? MAYBE?!?! Are you out of your FUCKING mind?!?! NO!!! JUMP ON ME NOW, MOTHERFUCKER!!!" The goomba yells. Mario, trying to remain calm and collected, then says "Let me get my pants first." in an audibly annoyed tone. The goomba lets out a sigh and then says "Fine.". The game then turned off on its own and it oozed out hyper realistic blood from the console. I got a baseball bat and destroyed the game. I then sold the console on ebay hoping that nobody would care that it's cursed.

HollaGemini

Department of Diseasology
kiwifarms.net
I am a big fan of history and lore of books, movies and TV series. IMO, its when you get emotionally invested in a fandom that you become the lolcow. Wont be long before youre arguing about gay shit.
I browse a lot of fan based channels and forums to read/watch things related to my interests. You can be a fan without being a fanfag about it.
You dont have to interact and become part of a fandom to enjoy it. Are they REALLY worth talking to anyway?

Also, this
Roll with the pigs and you are going to get dirty, same with fandoms. There's a normal level of appreciation for pop-culture, fandoms seems to stray into cult territory.

Coke Pope

kiwifarms.net
No. Fandoms are lolcowish and obsessive by definition. The level of dedication requiered to be a member of a fandom already ensures that almost all of its members are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
Anyone who claims otherwise is probably a lolcow in denial or someone who's antics aren't exposed enough.

Sorlock

kiwifarms.net
Only Disney, anime, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Pokémon (sorry superheroes, vampires, and Star Trek.) OK, I'm kidding. Like whatever you like as obsessively as you'd like but don't join an official fandom because those are cringe. The things I listed have huge casual social groups (Disneyworld, Pokémon Go!, etc.) but still don't join a "fandom." Fandoms seem like people trying not to be made fun of and isolating themselves from deserved criticism. I don't like Sonic but I don't think anything negative about it besides Chris's obsession since a blue hedgehog who runs and collects rings in a game isn't embarrassing, Chris is embarrassing. Don't dissociate yourself onto your hobbies to try to deflect attention from yourself.

dreamworks face

Model bugman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just watching Star Wars or LOTR or playing Undertale doesn't necessarily mean that you're part of the fandom. Being part of a fandom involves either writing fanfiction or making fan-art, posting inane sentence fragments and arguing with other broken people on message boards, or crossing the autism streams in real life (for example, lining up for schezwan sauce in a mcdonalds, going to a convention, wearing my little pony merchandise...) I have seen people in their mid-thirties draw Undertale fan art and post it on their cubical walls, or buy collections of My Little Pony figurines and arrange them in their working area because they can't code without Fluttershy watching I guess?

Sorlock

kiwifarms.net
Just watching Star Wars or LOTR or playing Undertale doesn't necessarily mean that you're part of the fandom. Being part of a fandom involves either writing fanfiction or making fan-art, posting inane sentence fragments and arguing with other broken people on message boards, or crossing the autism streams in real life (for example, lining up for schezwan sauce in a mcdonalds, going to a convention, wearing my little pony merchandise...) I have seen people in their mid-thirties draw Undertale fan art and post it on their cubical walls, or buy collections of My Little Pony figurines and arrange them in their working area because they can't code without Fluttershy watching I guess?

Coding with Fluttershy watching is just as OK as watching Fluttershy. The problem is when you hide behind your hobby with or without a bunch of other people also hiding behind their hobbies. Have a couple of Undertale pictures on your desk, but don't use them as a substitute for a personality.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
Of course, as communities grow and mature, the craziest, most active members tend to take over, and you have to reach a certain level of faggotry to even be accepted and not just waived off like a filthy casual commoner. So, normal people get pushed away pretty quickly, if not by the sheer number of abbreviations and in-jokes, then by assholes snapping at them for not understanding their abbreviations and in-jokes.

Another problem I've noticed is that broader communities often end up with members who are a weird combination of being hyper-obsessive, but fixated on only the newest, most generic, and most mainstream stuff.

So if you're not totally autistic over things, you're looked down on for being too casual. And if you really only enjoy a certain subset of the hobby and aren't into the New Hot Thing that everyone else is sperging over, you're looked down on for being a "fanboy" or some kind of elitist hipster.

Nothing ruins a hobby quite like dealing with other people who also claim to be into your hobby.