Culture Canadian Professor Argues that Diversity Harms Social Trust - Op-ed was deleted from newspaper's website and replaced with apology

Does Diversity Harm Social Trust and Economic Wellbeing?

• Total voters

Slap47

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net

1567965770244.png

An op-ed published by a Calgary instructor in two Vancouver newspapers is being widely condemned for saying Canada would be better off without ethnic diversity.

The article, written by Mount Royal University instructor Mark Hecht and published in the print edition of the Vancouver Sun on Saturday, is titled "Ethnic diversity harms a country's social trust, economic well-being, argues professor."

The article title was later amended to correct the fact Hecht is an instructor, not professor, at the university, before the entire article was deleted from both the Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province websites.

Vancouver Sun editor-in-chief Harold Munro said in a statement posted to the paper's website that the article did not meet the paper's journalistic standards and does not represent the views of editors and journalists.

"The Vancouver Sun is committed to promoting and celebrating diversity, tolerance and inclusion. Our vibrant community and nation are built on these important pillars," Munro wrote in the statement, which was issued late Sunday.

"We apologize for the publication of the article. We are reviewing our local workflow and editorial processes to ensure greater oversight and accountability so that this does not happen again."

CBC News reached out to Munro as well as editorial page editor Gordon Clark, and had yet to receive a response by the time of publication.

Munro tweeted that he agreed editors should have seen red flags in the article and said he apologizes "to everyone that this was published before I had a chance to read it."

There was an enormous backlash to the article online, with multiple reporters from Postmedia (which owns both papers) and Mount Royal University professors among those speaking out against its publication.

"Those are neo-Nazi talking points that were just kind of nakedly published by The Vancouver Sun," said Evan Balgord, the executive director of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, who researches the rise of hate groups and rhetoric in the country.

Balgord said the largest issue with Hecht's article is not just that it's "socially regressive," but that it misrepresents an entire body of literature on the topic of diversity and immigration.

"First off, it's factually incorrect … this is just basically white supremacist screed."

Hecht specializes in studying biogeography — or the distribution of flora and fauna — according to his bio on the university's website. He's taught at the university for 11 years and has self-published a book titled The Rules of Invasion: Why Europeans Naturally Invaded The New World.

Jonathan Withey, Mount Royal University's dean of the faculty of science and technology, said in an emailed statement he understands the concern from members of the community over the op-ed.

"Mount Royal, like all universities, is a place for debate, for freedom of expression and for the respectful exchange of ideas. The ideas expressed in this newspaper op-ed, while protected by freedom of expression, do not represent my personal views, nor the position of Mount Royal University as a whole," Withey said.

"Mount Royal University is committed to diversity on our campus, and in the wider community, and providing a welcoming learning environment for all."

Hecht's article hinges on a report from the Gatestone Institute, a think tank that has published disinformation and anti-Muslim content according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"The Gatestone Institute is widely recognized as part of what's known as the Islamophobia industry, that just generally paddles in either fabricated or very heavily skewed stories, all kind of with the conclusion that it's impossible to integrate Muslims," Balgord said.

Sean Holman, a journalism professor at Mount Royal University who has worked for the Vancouver Sun, echoed Balgord's comments on the irresponsibility of citing the Gatestone Institute without context and said the op-ed shouldn't have been published.

"I think it's essential to recognize this is not actually a freedom of expression issue," Holman said.

"Newspapers and others news outlets are not common carriers. In other words, we're not like the telephone system. We're not obligated to publish or broadcast every opinion that is submitted to us. Indeed, we make decisions all the time about what to run and what not to run.

"When we publish an op-ed, we are lending that viewpoint our audience and credibility. And the Vancouver Sun simply should not have done so in this case. It's an inexcusable failure of journalism."

Holman said the op-ed could reasonably stoke anti-immigrant and anti-refugee sentiment, something he's fought against in his own work.

"The courses I teach include our program's second year news reporting class. In that class, I assigned my students to cover those experiences, reporting on the lives of newcomers in this city," Holman said.

Avnish Nanda is a spokesperson for Everyone's Canada, an Edmonton-based non-profit that challenges what he describes as those trying to undermine the country's commitment to multiculturalism and immigration.

He said he agrees with Mount Royal University's statement that a free exchange of ideas is important — but says there needs to be pushback against what he describes as "disturbing and dangerous rhetoric built on lies."

"I think there is a greater responsibility on media outlets and journalists in this particular climate to address these issues, to not give voice to this kind of jingoistic, xenophobic views particularly when they're published online," Nanda said.

His non-profit is part of that pushback, showcasing individual stories of everyday Canadians on its Instagram.

Nanda said those stories highlight what he sees every day: "that we're better together."

He says that he hopes anyone the editorial may have resonated with takes a look at their own communities.

"Anyone can be Canadian, it doesn't matter what you look like, where you come from, what you believe in, this country is for everybody," he said.
Woah there buddy, you gotta be Jordan Peterson to say stuff like that.

Its amazing how this basic bitch opinion is considered Neo-Nazi nowadays. I find it amazing that the school is saying that they believe in free expression... they're still gonna fire the guy though.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
"We're sorry you were exposed to the incorrect opinions of a person who will never be allowed to speak again, both have been dealt with accordingly as we strive to further our commitment to freedom of speech and diversity of opinion!"

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net
If they truly believed in free expression, the article wouldn't have been deleted. What a farce, and people wonder why college is a joke.
It always pisses me off when outlets remove stuff after backlash. You were clearly alright with it up until people spazzed out about it, but as soon as someone whines you backtrack, issue a grovelling apology and throw someone else under the bus. There was a similar thing at Glastonbury this year when some act got removed from the bill after a newspaper found out they had songs about killing Tories - Glasto were clearly alright with hosting them until the paper published an article, then they immediately throw out the band. It's PR bullshit and the outrage at the author/band/whatever is a smokescreen for the cowardice and hypocrisy of the host for refusing to stand by their decision.

Spasticus Autisticus

kiwifarms.net
I thought this was a common knowledge. India for instance is a bastion of multiculturalism and look at the state of shit affairs there. Meanwhile homogeneous society like Japan, China, and Korea resembles some kind of order and "progress" we can't seem to find in multicultural societies.
Singapore is an example of a multicultural society that actually functions. But the only way it does so is with a level of authoritarianism that Westerners would never accept.

Arctic Fox

Does it have to be so cold?
kiwifarms.net
I thought this was a common knowledge. India for instance is a bastion of multiculturalism and look at the state of shit affairs there. Meanwhile homogeneous society like Japan, China, and Korea resembles some kind of order and "progress" we can't seem to find in multicultural societies.
China has 55 seperate ethnic groups with the largest being only 40% of the populace. Manchurian.
China is seen as not having ethnic problems because everyone is equally oppressed.

Jan_Hus

Czech yourself before you wreck yourself
kiwifarms.net
I have a funny anecdote.

One of my classmates is the insufferable “I should get free money for simply existing” communist and in my rhetoric class we’re discussing how to teach a diverse student body and my professor brings up the fact that African American and Hispanic students typically score lower on writing tests.

Classmates response: “it seems to me like multiculturalism in the classroom is an inherently racist and unequal system”

Rancid Flid

Straight outta empathy
kiwifarms.net
Someone archived his article if anyone's interested. It's a load of fuss about nothing in my opinion. "Neo-Nazi talking points" my arse. And I'd trust what the Gatestone Institute has to say over CAIR any day of the week. "....part of the Islamophobia industry." Lol, Islam damages its own reputation, it doesn't need any help in that department.

https://archive.li/ulGJ4

Pitere pit

Do you like my car?
kiwifarms.net
Most people that I know that want diversity are living in middle-upper class neighbourhoods.
Once upon a time, I was chilling with my ex and some friends, some moors approached us disturbing our vibes. Obviously we moved, if we had responded at them we would be in hot water (my laws are so tolerant) Later I said some commentary about how classic their response is, moors gonna moor I said, they called me xenophobic and a racist, despite the fact that I know how these people are because I live alongside them, my neighbourhood is all but native, meanwhile theirs where all white.
Of course diversity can bring harm, it depends of the population though. In my country, most South Americans are pretty integrated, heck, a majority of second or third generation South Americans have our accent and live their lives without being a burden to society. Even the Eastern Europeans that stayed on our country past our economic depression don't cause many problems. Some of them, like the Chinese, that are like our modern Jews but they aren't aggressive; and finally, most of the moors, all nignogs and gypsies, are a stain to our society, they don't seem to integrate at all to our country.
Diversity can be fine, but only if they integrate to the native culture. If you come to my country to be a humble worker and you know our language and lifestyle, you are fine; but, if you jumped out of the boat to be a criminal and change my culture, you should go back.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino