Cancelled Games You Wish Had Been Released - I Can't Think of a Good Subtitle

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thrill Kill for the PS1 only because the pearl clutching think of the children reactions would have been funny.

The game is actually not very good. Basically an unbranded Wu Tang Shaolin Style (same engine I think). I got a bootleg of it back in the day and beat it, think the game was pretty much done before being canned and you can probably find playable isos out there.
Oh yeah, I remember reading about how that was the first game to get an Adults Only rating from the ESRB, so they just canned it and repurposed it for Wu Tang SS.

That happens a lot with licensed games, taking a game that already exists and just reworking it into a licensed property. See also: Yo! Noid on NES and its Japanese version; South Park GBC becoming a Mary Kate & Ashley game, and Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle II being a Mickey Mouse game in Japan and Europe, and later re-released as a tie in with some Danish game show.

edit: oh and Journey to Silius was a Terminator game before the license got bought out by someone else, so they turned a licensed game into a generic one. Ironic considering it's a pretty good game

Like I wonder if some shovelware developers of yesteryear like LJN just churned out shitty generic games internally, and then bought up licenses and slapped them onto said games to put them out in time with their movies. That would explain why so many of them follow the movies so loosely.

Last edited:

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
Inverted example from me, I never got why people wanted to see Maverick Hunter made.

In general just looks like a fairly generic FPS to me, in particular level design, except maybe that one colorful blocky room, at any rate not anything that looks like a Mega Man game. I think if this was made and revealed out of the blue, especially in the early 2010's when everyone was still getting over the massive overdose of first-person shooter from the seventh gen this would've been completely hated. Out of all the Mega Man games that got canceled when Inafune left this was the one I think Capcom were smart to do so with.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Like I wonder if some shovelware developers of yesteryear like LJN just churned out shitty generic games internally, and then bought up licenses and slapped them onto said games to put them out in time with their movies. That would explain why so many of them follow the movies so loosely.
That doesn't seem completely unlikely. "Hey, do we have anything lying around that we can slap the Blues Brothers license on?"

Something that is interesting is what happens when they handed off a game to be ported, often it seemed like a single dude did it. Chris Sawyer(Transport Tycoon/Rollercoaster Tycoon) started that way and was a phenom at porting games. With trash titles for something like the Gameboy the programmer doing the port probably had little to no access to assets like code, graphics and music - not that any of that would be compatible with the Gameboy anyway. The programmer, often a freelancer working from home, had a couple of months to make a game like the game on the lead system, that's why some ports are so different from the original.

Some ports are great, Lemmings 2 for the SNES was done by one guy and he kept a really interesting dev-diary of that process, I did a quick googling but couldn't find it. And for all the good reasons to shit on Ocean they deserve credit for porting James Pond Robocod to 40 systems and they're all basically identical.

Pol Pots Pooter

kiwifarms.net
The rest of the trilogy Advent Rising was supposed to be part of, which allegedly existed in rough draft form. The gameplay was jank as fuck and the game was clearly rushed and incomplete, but the story was actually pretty good.

EDIT: There was also supposed to be a game adaptation of Ender's Game that was going to be a first-person RTS, that included squad and relationship mechanics with other kids in the Battle School, that was canceled in pre-production right around the time the movie was announced. It was supposed to have a gameplay loop similar to what Final Fantasy Type-0 turned out to have, where between missions and story segments there would be a "rest" period where you could talk to other kids, build relationships and help them out, and figure out what to expect in your next mission.

The idea of it was at least worth pursuing, I thought.

Last edited:

White Devil

Zyklon Ree
kiwifarms.net
The rest of the trilogy Advent Rising was supposed to be part of, which allegedly existed in rough draft form. The gameplay was jank as fuck and the game was clearly rushed and incomplete, but the story was actually pretty good.

EDIT: There was also supposed to be a game adaptation of Ender's Game that was going to be a first-person RTS, that included squad and relationship mechanics with other kids in the Battle School, that was canceled in pre-production right around the time the movie was announced. It was supposed to have a gameplay loop similar to what Final Fantasy Type-0 turned out to have, where between missions and story segments there would be a "rest" period where you could talk to other kids, build relationships and help them out, and figure out what to expect in your next mission.

The idea of it was at least worth pursuing, I thought.
An Ender's Game video game adaption would have been rad, if taken from the actual book(s), not the movie. Lot of fucked up concepts in that book I never noticed reading it as a kid, but were glaring re-reading it as an adult.

Pol Pots Pooter

kiwifarms.net
An Ender's Game video game adaption would have been rad, if taken from the actual book(s), not the movie. Lot of fucked up concepts in that book I never noticed reading it as a kid, but were glaring re-reading it as an adult.
The movie wasn't bad, but the bottom line of it is contemporary Hollywood would never have the balls to portray Ender as the high-functioning sociopathic product of a eugenics program, who was bullied and manipulated into suicidal depression to commit an act of genocide in a fake war, and become the scapegoat for a coup d'etat led by his own (low-functioning sociopathic) brother and emotional sock puppet sister. They learned their lesson about science fiction movies that are politically-charged in inconvenient ways, after letting Paul Verhoeven do what he wanted with Starship Troopers. Can't make investors and producers with stock in Boeing and Raytheon too uncomfortable, you know.

At least a game would have the freedom and depth to give all those nasty little side plots and background tidbits room to breathe, you know.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
The ROM is out there, it's a really good game and seemed to push the GBC to the limit

Yeah, and before Clown World, too. The magypsies would cause endless screeching from troons today.

View attachment 1427729
I thought that the cult of social justice loved the Mother series and that's why they have such a huge presence in both that fandom and the Undertale one.

Wonderful Id

kiwifarms.net
Steambot Chronicles is probably my favorite PS2 exclusive game and the sequel was in development for the PS3 before it got cancelled in the wake of the Japan tsunami. I want no game more than SC2. We finally got Disaster Report 4 (sort of), why can't we get a fully fledged Steambot Chronicles 2? I don't mind if it ends up looking like a PS3 game running in 4k

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
Lufia 3: Ruins Chaser. It was a cancelled PSX game from the Lufia series. It would have been an SRPG similar to Energy Breaker for Super Famicom. But the publisher Nihon Flex went bankrupt and we ended up with the GBC game The Legend Returns instead.

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/12/19/lufia-3-iii-ruins-chaser-psx-cancelled/

Supposidly Ruins Chaser was 20% complete at the time of the bankruptcy.

A design booklet and artwork ended up being auctioned off. There is a single piece of music and a trailer whick only contains sketches and txt, no in game graphics or gameplay.

I heard rumors years ago that in-game footage does exist. But I have never seen it. I have also heard differing reports of just how much of the game was finished. These are likely just rumors since so far nothing has surfaced other than what has already been seen.

It's a shame because Energy Breaker is a really good game. There is a fan translation available but it never made it out of Japan officially.

Speaker of Energy Breaker, The Lufia 2 remake for DS references energy a lot although it does not have a skill system that is identical to that game. But the linking of pieces on the skill board could be seen as somewhat similar. The energy flow thing in The Legend Returns is also in the same vein. But it is more elaborate that the Energy Breaker system. If I remember correctly that one only affects your ability to learn skills and not the stats of adjacent party members. But it has been a few years.

Energy Breaker actually went through a lot of deveopment changes. Originally you could pick a main character to start as and it would give their story some more content. That was dropped due to time constraints but there are fragments of it still left that you can see via hacking.

This would explain why some characters like Star have a half assed character plot and it feels like something is missing.

I think this game may have had issues being officially released in the West anyway due to Parasite literally going into a woman's womb and trying to abort Dorothy, who he no longer remembers is his own daughter. He and Dorothy's mother were childhood friends ostracised for having dangerous powers. So angry pro-lifers and "please think of the children"

Also, big bad is the fucking pope!

The entire plot is a time travel mindfuck. There's a very lowkey hint of this in an early scene.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about the Lufia 2 remake and I think it would be better if it was just an original title. I would have preferred a remake of Energy Breaker that actually got an official release. With Neverland gone I guess the whole series is dead now. :(

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
Stuff I wish had gotten released:

Star Wars 1313

Original Battlefront 3

Original Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

Six Days in Fallujah

World of Darkness MMO

Original MechWarrior 5, not the dogshit PGI released

Robotech : Crystal Dreams

Probably more that I can't think of right now but those are the ones off the top of my head.
The WoD MMO would have been complete trash, it was being made by CCP Shanghai. These are the people who took 3+years to bring walking in stations (aka Hobbo Hotel) to Eve.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

White Devil

Zyklon Ree
kiwifarms.net
The WoD MMO would have been complete trash, it was being made by CCP Shanghai. These are the people who took 3+years to bring walking in stations (aka Hobbo Hotel) to Eve.

You're probably right but we will never know. Just wish there were more WoD / VtM video games out there.

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
Im surprised no one has brought up Secret of Vulcan Fury.

A point and click using state of the art tech for the time. It was gonna bring back the entire cast and have a story by D.C Fontana.

Supposedly they didn't get much done before it was canceled due to high cost. Although, thankfully there are similar sprite games 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites that scratch the itch.

Another good one that sadly never saw the light of day was Babylon 5 Into Fire.

There is a playable E3 Demo, but they lost live action footage of the cast doing what amounts to another season of the show. Dam shame.

Oh and lastly this one seemed like good fun. Have no idea what the hell happened to it.

Tags
None