Captain Marvel - Literally, from "her" to "hero"

Are you actually going to watch this flick?

• No

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Fuck, no

Votes: 155 39.9%
  • Not in cinemas

Votes: 78 20.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • (((Yes)))

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Twitter told me I must, I can't say no, you white-cis-sexist-oppresive scum!

Votes: 36 9.3%

• Total voters

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
Dude I don't know what the fuck to tell you at this point. This will have been like the 12th or so time you've used the phrase "being obtuse!" to describe me laughing for a bunch of dorks thinking they were actually going to leave enough Rotten Tomatoes reviews to sink the thing and have since combating me "being obtuse!" (seriously is that a filter for something? it's such an odd word to describe the back and forth and you seem compelled to use that specific word...) with literally every theory and counterpoint that doesn't involve "normies don't care about Culture War" and don't have a particularly high bar set for summer blockbusters.

Like even a lot of this thread who claimed they had no interest in it... went and saw it so they could come back and say how mediocre it is. The people who are actively pissed off at the thing went and saw it, weeks out when they could have just read what happened and skipped it knowing nothing of value was in it for Endgame. They saw it, and you can't comprehend that people who aren't pissed off at Larson also went and saw it?

Which is it? It didn't actually do well, it did ok but only because of Endgame, it did undeniably well but because the audiences were idiots who didn't know what they were getting?

Between your repeated insistence I come in and "defend" the billion dollar movie, that weird ass PM you sent before, and your alternating explanations for why this didn't tank, I have no idea how you think you're coming across as anything except bothered by the fact that a film that wouldn't have possibly bombed didn't bomb. I'm flabbergasted at how you think I'm trying to pull one over on you or something, the movie was one in a long line of products that are almost guaranteed money makers and there's no way this wasn't going to do as well.

The fact that people were emotionally gambling on it to in order to prove a point to those Blue Checkmarks is amusing to me. Like what else do you expect me to say?
The anti-fandom for Captain Marvel is rapidly becoming more embarrassing than the Disney shills. I found the marketing cynical/embarrassing but people seem to be really invested in this movie outright failing or, at least, succeeding for reasons that somehow invalidate its success.

It looked like another boring Marvel origin story, and the marketing was dumb, so I didn't see it. Audience reactions more-or-less confirmed my initial assumptions, so I still haven't seen it. Apparently the extent of its feminism is a bad cockpit joke and No Doubt's "Just a Girl" blaring over one of the climactic fights. I marvel (lol) at the fact that anyone is having a reaction to its success beyond "man the Marvel brand is strong with normies" and "I can't wait for Endgame to come out so I can stop caring about Marvel movies". Anyone treating Captain Marvel as a super important movie, even within the Avengers universe, whether it's because they love it or hate it, is just using their cheap entertainment as a culture war proxy to keep acting out their online crusade.

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
I went and saw it in France and didn't mind it, though after watching Patrick Williams's essay on the MCU, it's just a bigger confirmation in how bland these films really are, and how Post Endgame is the true test of these films. Sadly though I think they will be around for a while before truly people really get bored of them.
I kinda get the feeling that the MCU will got the way of the Tramsformers franchise where their domestic pull will continue to dwindle post-Endgame (from what I’ve seen from normies they’ve only held out this long because they wanna see where all their favorite characters/actors end up) but the forgein market will keep making up the difference so movies will keep being made, even when people in the states see posters for Guardians of the Galaxy 5 and say “Are they STILL making those movies?”. Hell, looking at CM’s box office results compared to Transformers films when theirs domestic to forgein profit ratio really started to show a gap the Marvel films are certainly getting there.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what the hell the MCU does to keep the gravy train going at least. They still have a few big pulls like Spider-Man and GotG, but unless they intend some of the more popular secondary characters films it just kinda seems like everyone else coming up on the roster are the ones general audiences seem lukewarm towards at best. Especially considering films like CM where a lot of people watched it because “there might be stuff about Endgame in it” or Black Panther where it was apparently panned in China despite the strong opening weekend because China’s pretty racist Disney apparently fudged the Chinese promotional material for the film about the number of black characters because Disney thought Chinese audiences wouldn’t see it otherwise.

AnAspieWithAVengeance

kiwifarms.net
It really depends on how fun they are going forward. I for one will see Spider-Man Far From Home (but only because of Stan Lee), and probably Doctor Strange 2 and GoTG Vol. 3, but after that I dunno. I have a bad feeling about Fantastic Four and X-Men.
F4 & XMen could go either way. The Fox Canon whether you liked it or not left a lasting impression on audiences, in particular Wolverine. It'll be hard to top it even if those films weren't the best (Saying that despite X2 being one of my favourite films).

For me, I'm definitely up for Spidy FFH and after that It's up in the air. I'll take it like I've always have and judge it film by film. I'll likely pass on Doctor Strange 2 because I never bothered with 1. BP2 is a likely as it the third Guardians film. Aside from that I'm not sure. Black Widow depends on the story, The Eternals I'm not bothered about (unless it's X Men in disguise), and I doubt Ant Man 3 is getting made. If it does, it'll feel more like a limb to the finish line if anything.

I kinda get the feeling that the MCU will got the way of the Tramsformers franchise where their domestic pull will continue to dwindle post-Endgame (from what I’ve seen from normies they’ve only held out this long because they wanna see where all their favorite characters/actors end up) but the forgein market will keep making up the difference so movies will keep being made, even when people in the states see posters for Guardians of the Galaxy 5 and say “Are they STILL making those movies?”. Hell, looking at CM’s box office results compared to Transformers films when theirs domestic to forgein profit ratio really started to show a gap the Marvel films are certainly getting there.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what the hell the MCU does to keep the gravy train going at least. They still have a few big pulls like Spider-Man and GotG, but unless they intend some of the more popular secondary characters films it just kinda seems like everyone else coming up on the roster are the ones general audiences seem lukewarm towards at best. Especially considering films like CM where a lot of people watched it because “there might be stuff about Endgame in it” or Black Panther where it was apparently panned in China despite the strong opening weekend because China’s pretty racist Disney apparently fudged the Chinese promotional material for the film about the number of black characters because Disney thought Chinese audiences wouldn’t see it otherwise.
It's an interesting point. I'm for sure there's an endpoint as Feige knows deep down he can't do this forever. The question is when and what will be the cause? Endgame will be the end for a lot of fans, so expect losses in some form of fashion. Disney+ can only do so much for the MCU brand and will hopefully do plenty more where Netflix and the other networks failed to do. Maybe it's because Feige has more control than he did with Agents of Shield and the Netflix shows. Shame because those shows were tonally very different and made the MCU more in depth and interesting to watch.

samuraicrack

INTERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR
kiwifarms.net
>Letterboxd
Of course

The Twitter thread he linked to:
View attachment 712743
"the writers totally turned the boring Mary sue character on the audiences heads and subverted expectations"
"she'll beat you up"
"her arc about how powerful she is is really interesting even though she got all her power from being near an alien weapon hidden in a jetplane"
I refuse to believe everyone on Letterboxd is this delusional.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino