Captain Marvel - Literally, from "her" to "hero"

Are you actually going to watch this flick?

• No

Votes: 74 17.6%
  • Fuck, no

Votes: 168 40.0%
  • Not in cinemas

Votes: 83 19.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 38 9.0%
  • (((Yes)))

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Twitter told me I must, I can't say no, you white-cis-sexist-oppresive scum!

Votes: 39 9.3%

• Total voters

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
Disney+ can only do so much for the MCU brand and will hopefully do plenty more where Netflix and the other networks failed to do.
Honestly I don't have high hopes for Disney+, much less the MCU portion of it, because I just know Disney greed means they won't be able to help themselves from pulling some bullshit like putting the content people will actually want behind different pay walls or giving the new shows they're supposedly making to the exceptional chucklefucks responsible for dumpster fires like Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and any of the current MCU cartoons.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Forget the whole "feminist agenda" angle: The movie sucks. I have complaints about the movie's structure, pacing, and its cornucopia of plot holes and contrivances. And don't even get me started on the forced retconning. The MCU has been VERY careful about its overarching story for 10 years now, making sure to pay attention to the details so that things make sense. They threw that strategy completely out the window with Captain Marvel. The movie creates more questions than answers.

Some cases in point:
-If Fury had his pager for two decades and was told to use it "only for emergencies," then why didn't he call Captain Marvel during the Invasion of New York. There was a LITERAL FUCKING WORMHOLE BRINGING IN AN ALIEN INVASION-- Seems like a situation where Captain Marvel would have been needed!

-In the first Avengers movie, Nick Fury reveals that SHIELD has been making weapons using the Tesseract's power in order to prepare themselves for an alien invasion/space warfare. Fury states that SHIELD decided to do this after the events of the first Thor movie. Um. If the events of Captain Marvel happened twenty years prior to the first Thor movie, though, then this whole scene in the first Avengers movie no longer makes any sort of sense. Maybe it would have made sense if SHIELD didn't have possession of the Tesseract for almost twenty years, but no. That's not the case at all.

-If Captain Marvel is in charge of keeping the peace in space, then she sucks at her job. Like ... Has she not heard of Thanos or the Infinity Stones over the two decades she's been in space? You'd think she'd be aware of Ronan the Accuser genociding the planets he attacked, at the bare bones minimum. If a character like Ego was able to hear about Star-Lord harnessing the power of an Infinity Stone, then you'd think Captain Marvel would be aware, too? Since she obviously did nothing about it, half of the universe is gone. Nice job, Carol!

I've mentioned these issues with Captain Marvel shills, and arguing with them about it is hilarious. When I bring up the question of why Thanos was able to do what he did SO easily with Captain Marvel hanging out in space, vowing to end war and create peace, their response is "That's not her job." LOL. Best superhero ever, guys!

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
-In the first Avengers movie, Nick Fury reveals that SHIELD has been making weapons using the Tesseract's power in order to prepare themselves for an alien invasion/space warfare. Fury states that SHIELD decided to do this after the events of the first Thor movie. Um. If the events of Captain Marvel happened twenty years prior to the first Thor movie, though, then this whole scene in the first Avengers movie no longer makes any sort of sense. Maybe it would have made sense if SHIELD didn't have possession of the Tesseract for almost twenty years, but no. That's not the case at all.
I agree this doesn't make much sense, but is it really Captain Marvel's (the film, not the character) fault?

Ignoring this film, the Tesseract was retrieved by Howard Stark, post First Avenger then later stolen by Loki in the Avengers. So, SHIELD already had possession of the Tesseract for about 30 - 40 years before the events of CM and could have been using it to make weapons.

The only explanation I can really think of is that Fury didn't have the clout to make it possible until he was in charge, but then again, these are people who routinely get involved in super soldier serums, so it's kind of unlikely they wouldn't be using it for something. Even the fact that Red Skull used it to make weapons with it didn't deter them from trying to use it to achieve FTL travel, so yeah it's still pretty wonky and doesn't make much sense either way.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
Some cases in point:
-If Fury had his pager for two decades and was told to use it "only for emergencies," then why didn't he call Captain Marvel during the Invasion of New York. There was a LITERAL FUCKING WORMHOLE BRINGING IN AN ALIEN INVASION-- Seems like a situation where Captain Marvel would have been needed!
E;R highlighted this one in his video, pointing out that - in hindsight - Fury now appears to have decided nuking New York City and everyone in it was a better option than using the pager to call Captain Marvel back to Earth to help out. Yeah, she's got a bad attitude, and her cat scratched you, but geez.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I agree this doesn't make much sense, but is it really Captain Marvel's (the film, not the character) fault?

Ignoring this film, the Tesseract was retrieved by Howard Stark, post First Avenger then later stolen by Loki in the Avengers. So, SHIELD already had possession of the Tesseract for about 30 - 40 years before the events of CM and could have been using it to make weapons.

The only explanation I can really think of is that Fury didn't have the clout to make it possible until he was in charge, but then again, these are people who routinely get involved in super soldier serums, so it's kind of unlikely they wouldn't be using it for something. Even the fact that Red Skull used it to make weapons with it didn't deter them from trying to use it to achieve FTL travel, so yeah it's still pretty wonky and doesn't make much sense either way.
I think it's both the film and the character's fault with a lot of this confusion in the timeline now. Firstly, the Captain Marvel movie created the confusion ... And it's the character's fault for being so overpowered.

It seriously makes no sense for Fury to not buzz her during the Invasion of New York. If Captain Marvel is so powerful (the "strongest evah"), then the Chitauri should have been no issue for her. At all.

EDIT: You know what would have been a really cool addition to the Captain Marvel movie? If the film showcased Fury expressing early signs of hesitated distrust for SHIELD (because of the events of the Winter Soldier film), and if the movie explicitly showed Fury intentionally keeping Carol under wraps as much as possible. Would have explained a lot in the timeline, actually. Still doesn't explain why he wouldn't reach out to her during the New York invasion, but it would have explained some of these questions that were raised by the movie ...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: armoreddinnerjacket

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
It seriously makes no sense for Fury to not buzz her during the Invasion of New York. If Captain Marvel is so powerful (the "strongest evah"), then the Chitauri should have been no issue for her. At all.
CM brings up "flash point" or whatever they called them as checkpoints for transportation, which is what they were using to travel huge chunks of space so quickly, and what she needed to lead the Skrulls away from. However long she was off doing that for (presumably it wasn't the entire 20 something years but who knows), she was making a point to get considerable distance away from where she already knew hostiles would get to Skrulls.

When Sam Jackson was asked about the pager, he said something along the lines of "Who says he (Fury) didn't?", which could have been a smartass quip but some people are under the impression that he had used it during both Avengers movies, but called her off when each situation was under control (iirc both the NYC invasion and Sarkovia city drop began and ended within hours), and from the time it took her from whenever she was during the rest of the MCU til she arrives in Endgame (also, from the looks of it, apparently weeks or months after the events of Infinity War) and was never called off, she assumes serious shit has happened.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
CM brings up "flash point" or whatever they called them as checkpoints for transportation, which is what they were using to travel huge chunks of space so quickly, and what she needed to lead the Skrulls away from. However long she was off doing that for (presumably it wasn't the entire 20 something years but who knows), she was making a point to get considerable distance away from where she already knew hostiles would get to Skrulls.

When Sam Jackson was asked about the pager, he said something along the lines of "Who says he (Fury) didn't?", which could have been a smartass quip but some people are under the impression that he had used it during both Avengers movies, but called her off when each situation was under control (iirc both the NYC invasion and Sarkovia city drop began and ended within hours), and from the time it took her from whenever she was during the rest of the MCU til she arrives in Endgame (also, from the looks of it, apparently weeks or months after the events of Infinity War) and was never called off, she assumes serious shit has happened.
An actor's interview isn't canon, lol.

The moment when Fury should have paged Carol: When Loki infiltrated SHIELD'S base and blew it the fuck up like it was nothing, while stealing the Tesseract and brainwashing people in the process. I think that's plenty of time for Carol to get the message, and then respond using the checkpoints. I find it weird that it would take her 20 years to do what she needed to with the Skrulls. Regardless, there's no explanation, and I don't think a smartass comment by an actor who is literally selling his own movie to be a good enough explanation at all.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
An actor's interview isn't canon, lol.

The moment when Fury should have paged Carol: When Loki infiltrated SHIELD'S base and blew it the fuck up like it was nothing, while stealing the Tesseract and brainwashing people in the process. I think that's plenty of time for Carol to get the message, and then respond using the checkpoints. I find it weird that it would take her 20 years to do what she needed to with the Skrulls. Regardless, there's no explanation, and I don't think a smartass comment by an actor who is literally selling his own movie to be a good enough explanation at all.
In Ragnarok, Valkyrie says from Xandar to Asgard is about 18 months. I think even counting from whenever Loki was off jerking people around til the space whales started pouring it, it probably wouldn't have been enough time to do anything.

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
I think it's both the film and the character's fault with a lot of this confusion in the timeline now. Firstly, the Captain Marvel movie created the confusion ... And it's the character's fault for being so overpowered.
I wouldn't say created...brought to attention may be more accurate.

In fairness, SHIELD also tried to stop the Chitauri invasion with a rocket so they're clearly not the smartest people.

EDIT: You know what would have been a really cool addition to the Captain Marvel movie? If the film showcased Fury expressing early signs of hesitated distrust for SHIELD (because of the events of the Winter Soldier film), and if the movie explicitly showed Fury intentionally keeping Carol under wraps as much as possible. Would have explained a lot in the timeline, actually. Still doesn't explain why he wouldn't reach out to her during the New York invasion, but it would have explained some of these questions that were raised by the movie ...
I agree, though I also feel that it might be explainable if he had shown SHIELD the pager and been ordered not to use it unless approved, possibly so HYDRA could be sure she wouldn't interfere with their infiltration. But that would require Fury at least trying to ask permission to use it during the New York Invasion, and being told no, they're going with the rocket plan.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
In Ragnarok, Valkyrie says from Xandar to Asgard is about 18 months. I think even counting from whenever Loki was off jerking people around til the space whales started pouring it, it probably wouldn't have been enough time to do anything.
Fair point. However, we see no attempt for Fury to buzz her at all (and, again, I don't buy that "he did it off screen"). What if the Avengers had failed? Even if it took a long time for her to finally reach Earth, you'd think she'd be needed in any possible aftermath had Thanos' plan been successful?

I agree, though I also feel that it might be explainable if he had shown SHIELD the pager and been ordered not to use it unless approved, possibly so HYDRA could be sure she wouldn't interfere with their infiltration. But that would require Fury at least trying to ask permission to use it during the New York Invasion, and being told no, they're going with the rocket plan.
Right, that would have made things much more cohesive. However, I don't think that a Captain Marvel movie was even being considered at the time of the first Avengers movie, so ... I guess we're stuck with this haphazard, shoehorned character backstory now.

A lot of these issues would not have happened had the movie not been set in the 90s to mess up the timeline ...

• Agree
Reactions: iRON-mAn

Super Color Up

Stick around, I'm full of bad ideas.
kiwifarms.net
"...And then Kevin Feige wants Larson’s character to be the lead for the MCU going forward."

This sounds like a Marvel mandate from Ike "Primeval Jew" Perlmutter himself. That stingy ass is always cutting corners and pushing shit, literal shit like Inhumans and whatever agenda's he can foist on Cebulski and ultimately on Editorial in general. It's not enough they had to fuckin' butcher the mutants themselves, then Civil War II happened and no one was happy with that. Goddamn thought crimes.

Now here we are, and we've got movie pundits left and right claiming its alright, it's shit, its not shit, it's shit but not because of larson, but it's because of larson-- For fucks sake, it sounds like a majority of the people lambasting this movie don't care that it's a woman, because time and time again, we've seen that successful woman protagonists can fucking work. Lara Croft, Bloodrayne, Major Kusanagi, just to name a few. Those examples are all action based as well..

Carol Danvers was at her best when she was a murderhappy drunk unable to really cope with her power. She had flaws. But now she's this perfect figurehead for a world of power who's not only always right, but has to prove she is too. Compensation when it's a woman is still compensation. And it's not because of "dudebro nerds" being gatekeepers. More often then not, they're more than happy to welcome you into the fold (At least in my experience) and get you up to speed on current trades and volumes.

ZehnBoat

here comes dodo
kiwifarms.net
Ugh, capitalism.. just another construct of the white patriarchy.
Ugh, white men controlling the world with their mega corporations
i have a vagina

ATTENTION ALL LATTE SIPPING FEMINISTS AND EPIC SJWS
CAPTAIN MARVEL NEEDS YOUR HELP
SHE NEEDS THE DIGITS ON THE FRONT OF YOUR CREDIT CARD
AND THE THREE WACKY NUMBERS ON THE BACK

SHE HAS A VAGINA

hurray for capitalism, hurray for big corporations
i have a vagina

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What would have made the most sense is for there to be some major fucking war far out in space and Carol says she'll return to Earth 'someday'. Then all of a sudden half of everyone she knew disappears and she's like 'WTF' and she goes back to Earth to find out. Cue Infinity War: End Game.

I mean, writing out this plot hole isn't gigantic, it seriously isn't. Make there be a galactic conflict Carol has to be in, she has shit to do outside of the universe. Have them have a hokey moment at the end of the movie where she says 'See you again' like she isn't ever coming back.

I mean, its so fucking simple. There's no beeper, Fury has no way to contact her, she's so far away that the Chitari and shit aren't even a blip on her radar because she's involved in other things. There, I solved the plothole.

And this isn't even writing 101. This is like basic shit.

Actually, they probably fucked this up with Infinity War, which was written before Captain Marvel. The beeper was just a re.tarded teaser and then when they made the movie they were like 'Oh fuck, we actually have to explain this.' So basically, a Marvel stinger fucked up and tore a plot hole the size of Venus into the MCU. If I were them, I'd just never address it. Having Captain Marvel lead the Avengers kind of fucks everything up, because you've got massive power creep and people will always think why won't 'Superman Captain Marvel handle this?' DC has lots and lots of ultra powerful villains to tackle Superman with. Its also idiotic to make anyone 'the most powerful' because there's nothing you can do with that. Marvel doesn't really have the most powerful villains as of yet and I don't think Captain Marvel has any of her own, or any that I can remember. You're going to have this problem when the Fantastic Four are Introduced and Galactus comes, people are just going to wonder why Captain Marvel isn't there to punch him in the face. Its 'Where are the Avengers?' problem times a thousand.

Why not Falcon, who was second in line with Cap? Or Bucky? Or Scarlet Witch? Or Vision? Or any of the characters that we've gotten to know for the past 10 years? Some random comes it with one movie and is in charge? I'm just not going to buy it. Also, Avengers without RDJ is going to have huge problems. The charisma void that is Bree Larson will be extremely noticeable. She's like a charisma vaccum that just sucks everything in.

Also, why the fuck are they pushing Captain Marvel everywhere? I don't understand this. The dichotomy between Marvel and DC was that Marvel had more of the team-based sort of heroes at the lead like the Avengers/X-Men. DC had singular sort of heroes like Superman and Batman. Why does Marvel need a face all of a sudden? I just don't get it. I also think that Captain Marvel is going to need a fuckton of better direction and an actual personality. The thing I find hilarious is that when people were screaming for a female lead movie from Marvel, they now want more. They want her to be a lesbian, they want her to be trans. When will these companies understand that nothing is ever enough?

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
Off topic, but I couldn't resist posting this here, after it got shoved in my face.

Did you guys know that Brie Larson & Samuel L. Jackson have made more than one movie together?

Did you also know that Brie is not only a wonderful actor and human being, but is also a director?

I think this really hammers home her substantial range, and talent, that everyone here is totally just jealous of.

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
Off topic, but I couldn't resist posting this here, after it got shoved in my face.

Did you guys know that Brie Larson & Samuel L. Jackson have made more than one movie together?

Did you also know that Brie is not only a wonderful actor and human being, but is also a director?

I think this really hammers home her substantial range, and talent, that everyone here is totally just jealous of.

Bit late
The Captain Marvel sequel is a bit weird:
But I'm not gonna fault you for not going though @BoomerDenton & @KillThemCrackasBabies nuptials.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino