Captain Marvel - Literally, from "her" to "hero"

Are you actually going to watch this flick?

• No

Votes: 71 18.3%
  • Fuck, no

Votes: 155 40.1%
  • Not in cinemas

Votes: 78 20.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 32 8.3%
  • (((Yes)))

Votes: 16 4.1%
  • Twitter told me I must, I can't say no, you white-cis-sexist-oppresive scum!

Votes: 35 9.0%

• Total voters

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
Off topic, but I couldn't resist posting this here, after it got shoved in my face.

Did you guys know that Brie Larson & Samuel L. Jackson have made more than one movie together?

Did you also know that Brie is not only a wonderful actor and human being, but is also a director?

I think this really hammers home her substantial range, and talent, that everyone here is totally just jealous of.

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
Off topic, but I couldn't resist posting this here, after it got shoved in my face.

Did you guys know that Brie Larson & Samuel L. Jackson have made more than one movie together?

Did you also know that Brie is not only a wonderful actor and human being, but is also a director?

I think this really hammers home her substantial range, and talent, that everyone here is totally just jealous of.

Bit late
The Captain Marvel sequel is a bit weird:
But I'm not gonna fault you for not going though @BoomerDenton & @KillThemCrackasBabies nuptials.

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
"...And then Kevin Feige wants Larson’s character to be the lead for the MCU going forward."

This sounds like a Marvel mandate from Ike "Primeval Jew" Perlmutter himself. That stingy ass is always cutting corners and pushing shit, literal shit like Inhumans and whatever agenda's he can foist on Cebulski and ultimately on Editorial in general. It's not enough they had to fuckin' butcher the mutants themselves, then Civil War II happened and no one was happy with that. Goddamn thought crimes.
Feige hates Perlmutter enough that he literally forced Bob Iger to spin out the film-making section of Marvel into an independent studio directly reporting to Disney's execs, if Captain Marvel's being foisted on Feige it's coming from somewhere other than the head of Marvel Entertainment. Hell, Perlmutter himself is extremely unwoke and only has the comics be as ridiculous as they are because the artists/writers that make that shit come dirt cheap.

Super Color Up

Professional Sonic Autist
kiwifarms.net
Who do you think's doing it then? Because as far as I know, Captain Marvel isn't very popular at all, save for the kind of tumblrina that only cares about the window dressing and not about the actual content, which is to say not much at all.

This feels like that time when The Sentry (Marvel's version of superman that's supremely mentally ill and solely responsible for that weird arc with Marvel Zombies) died again and everyone, literally everyone was saying how much of a great guy he was despite him not doing much of anything beyond whining and solving a few problems. It's forced as fuck.

(Hyperion is better anyway.)

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Who do you think's doing it then? Because as far as I know, Captain Marvel isn't very popular at all, save for the kind of tumblrina that only cares about the window dressing and not about the actual content, which is to say not much at all.
Its not a conspiracy. No one is sincerely in love with Captain Marvel. Here's the thing: in three weeks, all of Marvel's big characters are done. Marvel wants to keep the gravy train rolling, but to do that it needs to build up its next Avengers lineup. Captain Marvel could have been the worst Marvel movie ever, but it doesn't matter because she's literally all they have right now. In short, what you're seeing is marketing hype. Feige will never, ever say that Captain Marvel is a shit character. He can't. He will promote that shit no matter what because his career relies on these films remaining successful.

It'll be a few years before we see know what Avengers 5 will look like, but you can be damn sure every potential Avenger is going to be hyped to hell and back until that time.

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
Probably because she's one of the few big name female Avengers with a decent power set. Wasp and She-Hulk are fairly derivative when you already have Ant-Man and Hulk. Black Widow and Mockingbird don't even have powers. The only other Avenger with comparable name appeal and a strong power set is Scarlett Witch, and they've nerfed her in the films compared to the comics. Captain Marvel on the other hand has cross-comic appeal, and is probably even known to anyone who even watched Fox's X-Men in the 90s. Beyond Captain Marvel, you have to go into Avengers that either no one has really heard of outside of the comics (which, granted, I wouldn't put it past Marvel to do, but not as a flagship) or characters that are more well known from other stories. CM may not be entirely liked but she is recognisable.

Reactions: Super Color Up

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I agree this doesn't make much sense, but is it really Captain Marvel's (the film, not the character) fault?.
When it's all under the direction of a single company, yes. For example, it's the fault of Civil War 2 that so many things turned for the worse, and it is Marvel Comics' fault for not hiring decent editors to supervise that mess.

Forget the whole "feminist agenda" angle: The movie sucks. I have complaints about the movie's structure, pacing, and its cornucopia of plot holes and contrivances. And don't even get me started on the forced retconning. The MCU has been VERY careful about its overarching story for 10 years now, making sure to pay attention to the details so that things make sense. They threw that strategy completely out the window with Captain Marvel. The movie creates more questions than answers.
Good. Maybe now the movies can become just as re.tarded as their comic source. Avengers 1,000,000 B.C. (Before Carol) when?

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
When it's all under the direction of a single company, yes. For example, it's the fault of Civil War 2 that so many things turned for the worse, and it is Marvel Comics' fault for not hiring decent editors to supervise that mess.
Except my point is that the problem is something that was around before Captain Marvel, so it's more like blaming Civil War 2 for something that happened in Secret Wars.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Except my point is that the problem is something that was around before Captain Marvel, so it's more like blaming Civil War 2 for something that happened in Secret Wars.
I think it's just you believe the previously established fiction is at fault for not facilitating the creation of this later film. I see it the opposite way: Films that come out as part of an interconnected universe should expect to have continuity that is not in contradiction to earlier works.

The original work was suitable the way it was, it's the alteration by the later movie that creates difficulties. This is all because of one thing: they wanted to bring Captain Marvel to the forefront of the MCU, and they believed the best way to do that would be to shoehorn her into Infinity War.

Last edited:

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
I think it's just you believe the previously established fiction is at fault for not facilitating the creation of this later film.
No, I'm just not going to blame Captain Marvel for plot holes created in Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. The previously established fiction already has faults, regardless of the creation of the later film or not.

Films that come out as part of an interconnected universe should expect to have continuity that is not in contradiction to earlier works.
I agree, and you would think that they'd have how this all fits together worked out in advance so that they don't end up with these plot holes, but the fact that they're rewriting the continuity as they go to fit the current film they're making has always been the case, long before Captain Marvel.

The original work was suitable the way it was, it's the alteration by the later movie that creates difficulties. This is all because of one thing: they wanted to bring Captain Marvel to the forefront of the MCU, and they believed the best way to do that would be to shoehorn her into Infinity War.
I disagree that it was suitable the way it was. Accepted perhaps, but there were plot holes regardless.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
-No, I'm just not going to blame Captain Marvel for plot holes created in Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. The previously established fiction already has faults, regardless of the creation of the later film or not.

-I agree, and you would think that they'd have how this all fits together worked out in advance so that they don't end up with these plot holes, but the fact that they're rewriting the continuity as they go to fit the current film they're making has always been the case, long before Captain Marvel.

-I disagree that it was suitable the way it was. Accepted perhaps, but there were plot holes regardless.
Fair enough. I doubt they'll ever fully explain those errors nor dwell long enough to resolve them. I doubt most normal moviegoers notice any of them, and that's the target audience they're shooting for.

"Dethroned The Dark Knight"

friedshrimp

uwuu
kiwifarms.net
I mean, the DC movies are still doing good, all in all. Dunno who brought the salty Marvel fanboy into the thread, honestly. If this is a DC vs Marvel competition, well neither of them seem to be losing.

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
Fair enough. I doubt they'll ever fully explain those errors nor dwell long enough to resolve them. I doubt most normal moviegoers notice any of them, and that's the target audience they're shooting for.
I agree. I wouldn't have been talking about it either had it not been brought up in this thread already.

nosemouth

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 718616

Don't worry guys, the movie finally got that tipped over popcorn bucket! And nobody's going to question why this totally hated movie has nearly 25,000 more reviews than pop culture event Infinity War has. They're cutting her out of Endgame as we speak! An insider said so!
You just totally dunked on all those haters you've completely invented, well done!

Dogs can't look up

Once shit out of a moving car
kiwifarms.net

So basically a Garden State type movie but with a female lead.

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, the DC movies are still doing good, all in all. Dunno who brought the salty Marvel fanboy into the thread, honestly. If this is a DC vs Marvel competition, well neither of them seem to be losing.
DC used to be on the losing side, but now they're beginning to make safer, more Marvel-esque movies and starting to build their brand.

I really wish they nailed it out of the gate though, like imagine if those initial movies were actually good? We would have had something that's good, but not a carbon copy of Marvel.

You just totally dunked on all those haters you've completely invented, well done!
Lmao ppl have been literally whining about the world's most mundane Superhero origin movie for 92 pages, YT is FILLED with videos about Disney supposedly buying tickets to fake a big showing, but he invented the haters? :story:

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino