Captain Marvel - Literally, from "her" to "hero"

Are you actually going to watch this flick?

• No

Votes: 74 17.6%
  • Fuck, no

Votes: 168 40.0%
  • Not in cinemas

Votes: 83 19.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 38 9.0%
  • (((Yes)))

Votes: 18 4.3%
  • Twitter told me I must, I can't say no, you white-cis-sexist-oppresive scum!

Votes: 39 9.3%

• Total voters

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I need more fat tittied Dennings in my MCU. Smirking bitch is a delight.
Only problem with that was Kat Dennings herself. The moment she walked on-screen and started generally shitting up the place was when all hope and enthusiasm for the movie died for me.

The intro with the Dark Elves was exactly the sort of treatment Thor needed imo - as was everything between him and his comrades prior to Earth-related activities - but then she comes in with her "lolstoopid" routine and it was over. It was fine when she was some super off-hand third wheel in the original, but her role in the second felt more obnoxious than anything else.

Would also have to say that the guy dropping the car keys through a spatial distortion was the dumbest thing that had ever happened in the MCU for a while, because nobody with half a brain would drop an item of value into something they may never retrieve it from again: Common Sense 101.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Larson: "I did most of my stunts, because I just thought that's what you did with these movies."

Hemsworth: "Going to be the next Tom Cruise?"

Larson: "Im GoInG tO bE tHe NeXt Me, ThAnK yOu VeRy MuCh"

If you have the time to spare, MauLer did a video. It's almost two hours.

Could have easily cut about 45 minutes off this video, as I feel like he starts talking in circles in some parts. Overall, he pretty much covers all bases as to why this movie is so goddamn fucking terrible.

Last edited:

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
Larson: "I did most of my stunts, because I just thought that's what you did with these movies."

Could have easily cut about 45 minutes off this video, as I feel like he starts talking in circles in some parts. Overall, he pretty much covers all bases as to why this movie is so goddamn fucking terrible.
There has never been another human being with an ego as massive yet ridiculously fragile as Brie Larson.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This doesn't just apply to Marvel movies, but in general the reported China box office take should always be taken with a big grain of salt. There's two reasons for this:

A) Showing agreements in China work differently than those in the US. While it's a somewhat complicated topic to compare them because US and European theaters use a sliding scale based on how long the movie has been playing to determine the portion of each ticket sale the studio gets, the long story short version is every $1 of gross ticket sales in China is a significantly lower contributor to net profits for a film than $1 of gross ticket sales in other markets (the standard in China seems to be that the studio gets - at most - a fixed 25% of each ticket sold).

B) China is widely understood to heavily falsify ticket sales numbers to "save face" because ownership of theaters showing a movie and investment in the western movie production company that made it frequently come from the same individuals. All of the crazy conspiracy theories about empty theaters and fake ticket sales for Captain Marvel are things that we know are regularly done by Chinese theaters. Last year it was estimated that up to 40% of ticket sales reported in China might be fraudulent.
One hundred years of Hollywood accounting is no match for three thousand years of Chinese accounting.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
There has never been another human being with an ego as massive yet ridiculously fragile as Brie Larson.
And that's exactly the reason why people make "cringe compilation" videos of her. Literally nobody would be making fun of her stunts from Captain Marvel if she had not put herself up on such a high pedestal and snapped at Hemsworth like that.

Bitch doesn't know how to take a day off from being the embodiment of anti-charisma.

2odastream

r/Drama queen
kiwifarms.net

I agree with Brie Larson. Tom Cruise was a crazy person that kept his beliefs out of his work and delivered insane stunts, competent performances, created an entirely new kind of franchise out of an old property and for a while was box office gold. Brie stars in a film series that did well without her for ten years, had CGI do most of the work for a rather formulaic film and will probably fizzle out when the capeshit craze dies. They're not comparable in the slightest.

Chin of Campbell

Hail to the Chin
kiwifarms.net
I can understand Hemsworth being unfriendly with Flatass. He's put work into Thor, turned a literally who into one of the most popular characters around with his face and acting. Brie comes in as Captain Feminism and Marvel Studios props her up as "the REAL most important character, we promise guys ;))" after she robots her way through Ghostbuster 2016 2. If Chris Evans wasn't such a cuck he would probably be angry that they were trying to usurp Cap with this bland ass superman bitch as the first Avenger.

Marvel needs to man up and replace Chris Evans with Rich Evans.

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My biggest problem with this film was that the character arc was just skipped over. Like, we’re told she’s too emotional, but we don’t really see that. Then we get a few flashbacks which apparently illustrate that she’s been suppressed all her life (I think?) and then... something happens and now she’s incredibly powerful. It felt like they tried to squeeze 2-3 movies into one.

armoreddinnerjacket

kiwifarms.net
My biggest problem with this film was that the character arc was just skipped over. Like, we’re told she’s too emotional, but we don’t really see that. Then we get a few flashbacks which apparently illustrate that she’s been suppressed all her life (I think?) and then... something happens and now she’s incredibly powerful. It felt like they tried to squeeze 2-3 movies into one.
Exactly. I walked out wanting to see her origin film, because this sure as heck wasn't it. Don't tell me how wonderful a person she is, show it to me, preferably with it's own movie like all the other big players got.

Unless we're just throwing Marvel in as another side character, because what we've gotten is adequate for a supporting role.

Reactions: Chester Rigby

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Exactly. I walked out wanting to see her origin film, because this sure as heck wasn't it. Don't tell me how wonderful a person she is, show it to me, preferably with it's own movie like all the other big players got.

Unless we're just throwing Marvel in as another side character, because what we've gotten is adequate for a supporting role.
Personally, I’d have saved her for after Endgame. Tell a smaller story, maybe tie her in with already-seen characters and settings from the cosmic MCU so we don’t need to explain everything to the audience. Concentrate on turning her from a soldier to a hero. Introduce the Kree, with the Skrulls as minor secondary bad guys. Then in the sequel, reveal she’s from Earth, the Kree are bad, the Skrulls are good, and give her a power boost.

Characters like Thor, Cap and Iron Man feel like they’ve earned the right to take centre stage because we’ve seen them develop slowly over several movies. With Captain Marvel, it just feels like they’re saying “Hey! Remember how everything Cap believed in was a lie? Remember how Stark fucked up all those times? How Thor lost everything? Well, she’s had that as well!”

Man, I really hope they don’t have her be the one to kill Thanos, but...

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
If you have the time to spare, MauLer did a video. It's almost two hours.

You know, seeing this and being given the full context for that "I have nothing to prove to you" line, it really sums up how out of touch the creative team is with what made the previous MCU characters so popular.

When you look back at all of their films, the vast majority of their origin stories are redemption arcs specifically because it allows for characters who are snarky, powerful, or both to feel like they've earned the right to be that way. And what makes a redemption arc feel earned is that the audience gets to see a character's real strength by being able to see them go from an artificial high point, to a extreme low point, back to a high point now reached by their own skill. Tony Stark in Iron Man 1 goes from a spoiled billionaire to captured by terrorists to fighting his way out with a weapon he invented out of scrap metal, the Guardians of the Galaxy go from a rag-tag group of criminals looking to make a profit to criminals on the run and in way over their heads to a close-knit group of friends able to defend an entire planet, and Thor is literally kicked off by having him be thrown out of the house by his dad and being told he can have his hammer back when he proves that he doesn't need it anymore. Super-powered protagonists proving themselves to other characters and the audience is kind of essential if you want audiences to be interested in them because it creates the feeling that their powers are the icing on the cake, not the core of their strength.

Having Captain Marvel just blasting the guy asking for a hand-to-hand to match, when the previous instances indicate that she tends to resort to those blasts when she starts to lose anyways, does not come off as badass or like she's sticking it to The Man. It comes off as though CM is actually nothing without her powers, and that if she were ever in the same situations previous Marvel characters had been in her only option would be to curl up into a ball and die. It would've been a helluva lot stronger if she said that line and beat him without a blast, and outside of a cheap joke she just kinda comes off as an asshole who uses her powers frivolously - not to dissimilar from Thor in his first film the more I think about it.

I'm really curious as to how well they expect the inevitable sequel to do after Endgame is finished. There's only so far a character with such little charisma can go.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino