Car Thread - Alfa Romeo proves cars are art so shut up

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Why? Nissan trucks have been trash for over a decade and it has the 4th best diesel (The list goes Ford, Cat, GM, Cummins btw) from a major American manufacturer.

Any F-250 from 2011 with the 6.7L turbo diesel, 4WD and the King Ranch package will offroad better, be more comfortable and MUCH more reliable for much less. This thing is just a simulated Ford Raptor or GMC Terrain X designed to look cool while having the actual specs to make anyone who does any offroading more technically proficient than "Muddin with the boys" wonder why you spent so much money on something too heavy (assuming they build it from anything other than aluminum and carbon fiber) to not need a pair of bumper winches to get down anything with more than 3 inches of loose dirt without putting on much larger tires than come stock.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nissan, I daily a newer G37, but right now if it isn't on the Skyline or Z car platforms, you're buying overpriced and under performing garbage, and the Titan platform is rivaled only by the Murano for most embarrassing thing on the production line

Don't buy Japanese trucks right now, they've been kinda shitty since 2003 and now with how good Ford and GM have gotten at them there's really no reason for Nippon haulers to exist in sizes over quarter-ton, and even then it looks like the new Ranger may very well make those obsolete as well

Oh Long Johnson

Collecting your suffering when you die
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This post will likely be nominated for the shitbox hall of fame.

One note to whoever it was who mentioned wanting a Dart - my father owned one of those abominations. The hype about the slant six is correct, there is no way to destroy that engine. The car did provide one of the funniest car-related incidents of my life, when my father and I were driving back from the lumber yard with 2x10s sticking out my window. I was worried about impaling something the entire trip, but the real fun came when we were approaching the busiest traffic light in town and the entire front right wheel fell off and rolled into the intersection. No idea how that happened. Tire, rim, brakes, drum - whole fucking thing snapped off. In the end, yet another Dart in the junk yard with a perfectly running engine.

Not counting the '76 Dodge Colt I owned and tore apart in my mid-teens, this brown motherfucker was my first car. Aside from mine having faded paint in spots and some missing molding, this beast looks just like it. Saved up $1200 working in a grocery store to buy that bucket. Thought I looked cool as shit rocking the Camaro coupe into the high school parking lot. Didn't take long to get the feeling this was a girls car, though. The engine had a fouled cylinder, so I was less than impressed with Chevy's legendarily reliable 305. I had to buy a new extra hot spark plug for the thing every other month. Even when it was running clean, the thing had no balls. My first trip home from working a night shift where it snowed all night had me spin into a 720 while it stayed dead in the middle of the road. Thing was a toboggan in the winter. Wound up selling it to a friend for $800 after a year and I think the engine totally shit the bed on him in a matter on months.

This picture is like an artist's representation of my 280. Same color, but the non-rusted parts of mine were held together with bondo. The tires were basically baloney skins. Rims might've been brushed aluminum, if I remember correctly. I believe there were a pair of confusing hoops on the hood that no one could figure any sane reason for. I do remember the floors were completely rotted to shit and with it being so low, there was always the concern of losing a foot. A friend of mine gave it to me or traded it for putting in carpet in his mom's room. I forget. Not sure I ever registered this car and only drove it about 8 times. The greatest trip in it was the friend who gave it to me and I driving to breakfast after drinking all night. Almost side-swiped a local cop, who chased us just to yell at us for almost killing him. Many laughs were had at breakfast.

I think I bought a '78 Celica after I came back East and needed a car to get to work. Rusty, gas sippers, reliable - that's a fucking Celica, right? This piece of shit nearly killed me innumerable times. The first problem was the stench of fuel inside. Nobody could find the source. I smoked cigarettes, so there was no way this fucker was going to get me to quit. Drove it for about six fuel hazed months wondering if the next Marlboro Light was going to be the one to set me on fire. That was low priority stuff, though. The real problem was that whenever you turned even ever so slightly right while moving at over 45 mph, the entire front end would shimmy and shake like the who shebang was going to tear apart. It also didn't like to increase your turn radius once it started having epileptic fits, making keeping the car from either ditching or ramming into something somewhat of a concern. Working 25 miles away down the highway, I had two bends in the highway and one offramp to navigate where the car was sure to do its best to murder me. This was the car that cemented buying new into my mind, something I kept at for a long time.

Jesus Christ, look at the amount of plastic on that fucker.

Give me a Chevy K20 any day over these rolling monstrosities.

I remember a neighbor of mine used to have a pair of K5 CUCV Blazers in his garage. I once fucked up the door on one of them backing it out (I left the door open and it caught the edge of the garage door and almost tore the fucking door off the car). I caught some shit for that, but, cool stories aside, those are some neat fucking rigs. Diesel engines, big-ass axles, very spartan interior, extremely cool.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember a neighbor of mine used to have a pair of K5 CUCV Blazers in his garage. I once fucked up the door on one of them backing it out (I left the door open and it caught the edge of the garage door and almost tore the fucking door off the car). I caught some shit for that, but, cool stories aside, those are some neat fucking rigs. Diesel engines, big-ass axles, very spartan interior, extremely cool.

Man, Nostalgia overload

In high school 3 of my friends had K5s, 1 was diesel, 1 was gas and 1 was a GMC Jimmy that had the motor swapped with a Oldsmobile Golden Rod. All three were rolled about 4-5 times a year from us doing dumb shit int hem. The Jimmy we turned in to a convertible after one roll bent the back pillars so bad that you couldn't get the glass to stay in and made the driver's side door unopenable, so we took some saws-alls and plasma cutters to it and turned it in to a goddamed beefy wrangler, The diesel one we ended up throwing the rest of the oldsmobile parts in, so it had really soft bench seats in the front and rear, a giant steering wheel and the olds' headlamps converted in to ghetto KC lights. The final one we just spray painted bright green and then did tiger stripes all over and attached some, ahem, "procured" golf flags on the 4 corners and used a handicap ramp's rail that we "found" and turned in to a cattle guard, we even left the disability rights signage on it when we mounted it for humorous effect. Whenever we would go camping and/or shooting we would take those trucks and my buddy D's G20 Chevy van that we had crudely painted to look like the A-Team van. Shit was boss as fuck.

Infact those K5s didn't have seatbelts int he back seats save for the one we had Olds interior parts in. So to keep ourselves and whatever girls we could get to go with us from dying when we would jump the damn things, we ended up using ratchet straps wrapped around the middle of the seats to keep everyone in. It was like a super unsafe carnival ride every time you got in

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I can't feel my hands I took my tr3a carbs apart for the winter.

God damnit England I wish you got nuked.

I dunno how I never poked my head into this thread. Yes, I do own a 1961 car and I want to set it on fire every time I think of it. Side draft carbs are great and sound like angels dialed right but, I found in winters best is to just rip em apart no risk of gumming up.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
British cars are made to make people flip shit. Every single car person I know who's had one has a $6000+ story. The star of mine was the entire front suspension and every piece of electrical equipment under the hood

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of dumb and English..... I have a chance to get a really cheap (for what it is) XKR '13 5l blower blue on black inside... low miles I was there when she was bought new. It's got every bell and whistle on it and is convertible.

How bad an idea is this? It's never had a problem upkeep has been done by a dealer or myself personally but I dunno how these cats get when long in the tooth.

On tech related, I'm kinda at the point with one of my cars I'm doing things to it, just to have an excuse to play with it, does anyone know or think anything about LED conversions for lights? It seems like it might be a neat project and bulbs can be done in blinker lights etc vs retrofitting HIDs that really only apply to high/low beams.

• Informative
Reactions: Kiwi Jeff

timecop

kiwifarms.net
i've been loving my new civic. i had an absolute shitmobile for almost 5 years, and now that i have something drivable i'm looking into doing minor changes. i'm most likely going to get a cold air intake first, and possibly throwing on some foglights. i'm trying my darndest not to rice it up.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of dumb and English..... I have a chance to get a really cheap (for what it is) XKR '13 5l blower blue on black inside... low miles I was there when she was bought new. It's got every bell and whistle on it and is convertible.

How bad an idea is this? It's never had a problem upkeep has been done by a dealer or myself personally but I dunno how these cats get when long in the tooth.

On tech related, I'm kinda at the point with one of my cars I'm doing things to it, just to have an excuse to play with it, does anyone know or think anything about LED conversions for lights? It seems like it might be a neat project and bulbs can be done in blinker lights etc vs retrofitting HIDs that really only apply to high/low beams.
they're great cars, (the Jag) but if ANYTHING goes south on the cooling system you're looking at a 14k replacement of the entire engine. Seen it happen twice in the last 2 years. One fixed it, the other sold it and got a Q60 instead, both seem very happy

As for LED replacements, they make kits, they're normally real easy to install

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i've been loving my new civic. i had an absolute shitmobile for almost 5 years, and now that i have something drivable i'm looking into doing minor changes. i'm most likely going to get a cold air intake first, and possibly throwing on some foglights. i'm trying my darndest not to rice it up.

Great color, I'm so tired of that machined wheel trend though. A little extra breathing, bigger rear sway and you'll have a car that will still last 10+ years of neglect and abuse and be a little more fun. Granted, I'm still trying to find a factory part on my civic :lol:

they're great cars, (the Jag) but if ANYTHING goes south on the cooling system you're looking at a 14k replacement of the entire engine. Seen it happen twice in the last 2 years. One fixed it, the other sold it and got a Q60 instead, both seem very happy

As for LED replacements, they make kits, they're normally real easy to install
How many people will I piss off If I pop that 5L and just drop an LSX in it? That alone might make it worth while. Needless to say, even with a discount it'll be the most I've ever spent on a car so little nervous because I'm cheap lol.

Glad to hear, sometimes you run out of shit to do and still want to do it.

TiggerNits

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Great color, I'm so tired of that machined wheel trend though. A little extra breathing, bigger rear sway and you'll have a car that will still last 10+ years of neglect and abuse and be a little more fun. Granted, I'm still trying to find a factory part on my civic :lol:

How many people will I piss off If I pop that 5L and just drop an LSX in it? That alone might make it worth while. Needless to say, even with a discount it'll be the most I've ever spent on a car so little nervous because I'm cheap lol.

Glad to hear, sometimes you run out of shit to do and still want to do it.
The LS swap would be a bitch, but nothing wrong with making the car better for the guy who owns it

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I just did the Philly car show, does anyone want some reviews, pics etc?

Also, show winner imho was the Kia Stinger. Yes, it was that nice. It doesn't lie to you like it's nicer than a Bently, or Faster than a Saleen, it's just a damned nice car, the fit and finish is great price is more than fair would like a stick option for sure. Sitting in it and touching everything it's really well done.

Jeep wins the lolcow award for it's wranger there was a package that upgrades only the rear axle for off roading, the rubicon can pass 50k now.

I had only seen in passing the newest gen volvos but a nice up close look at sitting in it, the S90 is tits, my family has long had volvos (odd gm freak here) and when I sat in it I knew I was in a volvo, in a good way, it's updated smooth, but still a volvo.

Was a great car show lots of classics too and a few clubs/modded things. I'll stop rambling unless anyone wants.

PS I did cop dat XKR 550+ hp daily very nice.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bassomatic is an idiot.

I've always played with my cars and I thought buying an absurd car would stop that. Well it didn't. I happen to adore everything about it, but, for a supercharged car it's lacking a whine. The exhaust note is just a dream : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNtRzK9onU&t=36s (same color and all as mine)

So I bought a new pulley, 2lb more boost. It's a neat system can use the OEM belt still too, and oddly they aren't too expensive. I hope this adds some whine at WOT.

I figure let it sit a bit, keep autism level track of gas milage and power feel then see if I need a reflash, aside the intercooler upgrade offered I don't think I'll put much into this but then again I said I'd keep it stock. And I know you can make 650 to the wheel with out opening the motor, and that sure sounds fun.

So yea, I'm ripping apart a car just so I can hear the supercharger whine a bit more.

• Feels
Reactions: Kiwi Jeff

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino