Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

Game client of choice

• Total voters

ConcernedAnon

Concerned and hopefully anonymous
kiwifarms.net
Who would have thought a spreadsheet could be so fun?

CataclysmDDA is an opensource survival game set in the near future which pits you —a mere meat man— against worldwide alien invasion. The game focuses equally on exploration and building. Both are viable playstyles, and you are free to chose your own balance between the life of a farmer and the life of a murder hobo. The UX takes some getting used to, but it's vastly better than similar games like Dwarf Fortress. Gameplay is an unusual variant of turn based, with each action you take progressing time proportionally. You'll start by dying, then little by little you'll start surviving, and eventually you'll start thriving.

Play as a restaurant mascot having a really bad shift
1629573824452.png
Regret your choice
1629573874306.png

Discover powerful armor in a wealthy furry's home
1629574024390.png

Get lynched
1629574093462.png

Find dog-mutagen in a secret government facility and teach those bullies a lesson
1629575340207.png
Take your punishment directly from god
1629575423896.png
1629575784930.png

Learn from your mistakes and choose a simple life unfettered by the follies of modernity
1629577826561.png
Survive, thrive, and with time take back what's yours
1629579837508.png

One of the major features that sets cataclysm apart from it's peers is the ability to not only survive, but to thrive. Unlike Zomboid, even those items that are irreplaceable have craftable counterparts meaning there is no point at which you simply can't continue. On top of this there are several different endgames including mutations, cybernetics, and vehicles all of which provide satisfying upwards progression.

The crafting system has a huge amount of depth and creates a very meaningful progression. It is possible to start at zero with only a sharp rock and build your way up to civilization, of course it's probably faster to just steal a knife from someone's kitchen. At any given point you will have many options, and a resourceful survivor will never find themselves being trapped by bogus adventure game logic. If for instance you have an infected wound you can use thyme oil, cattail jelly, or strong alcohol should you not have proper antiseptic at hand. No food processor? Just learn knapping and make a mortar and pestle.

A pretty unique feature is the ability to create entirely custom vehicles. You can create vehicles as trivial as a bicycle or hotdog stand, but also auto-turret covered rolling city blocks if you so wish (and have the horsepower to propel). The vehicle building system starts with placing a single vehicle frame, and from that point the vehicle can be extended in any direction from the vehicle menu, allowing a crazy variety of vehicle designs. My personal recommendation would be to find a humvee and progressively build off of it, they're durable and pretty easy to extend.

On top of all this are mutations and cybernetics, both of which essentially extend your character directly. These include trivial abilities like slightly faster stamina regeneration, better alcohol metabolism, or cold resistance, all the way up to the ability to shoot poison barbs, control magnetic fields, and teleport through walls (just be careful not to teleport into a wall). I recommend night vision, it's almost worth becoming a freak of nature for.

There is a strong modding community for CDDA, and you can find a lot of cool mods, and some stupid ones too. Want to play as a literal gingerbread man? No? Good choice, but that's an option. How about dinosaurs? Was space fungus not tough enough for you? The aptly named dinomod has what you need. My personal choice would be magicylsm, which as the name implies adds magic. It's quite well balanced, and surprisingly doesn't feel out of place at all in the setting.

There's a couple of sites with good info about CDDA to get started
The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Cataclysm has fairly complete information, and up to date information about items and monsters.
The CDDA Item Browser is maintained by the devs IIRC, and is always up to date, though it has somewhat less info than the above
The CDDA Wiki is quite out of date, but goes more in depth than the two item browsers, most of what's on it is still true.
There's also two official public discords, but they may not want to be linked here of all places. They're easy to find, at least one of them is listed in the discord server browser.

Final tip; backup your saves —the game is very stable, but starting entirely from scratch every fuckup is no fun.

Last edited:

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
You should check out Bright Nights.
A fork of DDA that fixes some of the retarded broken crap like the food autism that the DDA devs keep heaping on it.

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
You should check out Bright Nights.
A fork of DDA that fixes some of the retarded broken crap like the food autism that the DDA devs keep heaping on it.
Some of the rebalancing is welcome (crossbows in vanilla are pretty shitty) but a lot of it seems like a dumbing down. Most welcome feature is the power grid system, but it seems like it's just cobbled together at the moment. Is the food system really that bad though? The depth of the systems is part of the game's charm.

For new player reference CDDA takes account of not only caloric intake, but also nutrition and morale effects, so you can't just prepare a bunch of lard and guzzle it, you actually have to watch what you eat. Eat too much and you'll get a Beauty Parlor thread, eat too little and you'll become a skeleton (but still get a Beauty Parlor thread), subsist off cooking oil and your character will begin to consider suicide, boil a steak and I will find where you live and personally end you. On top of that there's also stomach mechanics; unlike most games where food just gets instantly absorbed into your being, in CDDA food has to pass through your stomach first. The amount of food in your stomach effects the sensation of hunger, so if you're living the Haitian life you can suppress hunger by eating cardboard and mud.

It is a pretty complex set of mechanics, but fortunately you don't really have to understand it that well to get by. Eat when you're hungry, fast if you get overweight, check the RDA of foods and prioritize nutrients or take supplements if your character notes a deficiency.

Personally I recommend pemmican, it's easy to make, high calorie, and it keeps for most of a year at room temperature. Also don't worry too much about your hunger level till it reaches Very Hungry, Very Hungry happens if you are liable to lose weight and (eventually) go into Underweight. Finally, consider taking up canning, it's a very wholesome hobby.

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Is the food system really that bad though? The depth of the systems is part of the game's charm.
Yes it's pure fucking tedium and bloat. It didn't make the game any more difficult than the old system and just introduces more mindless steps with shit like heating up food.
And it's absolutely retarded to display "Hungry" when you have no need to eat. Why does every character have a food addiction like the fat DDA dev? It's just one more trap for beginners which DDA already has plenty of. The later stages are still as piss easy as ever.

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
Yes it's pure fucking tedium and bloat. It didn't make the game any more difficult than the old system and just introduces more mindless steps with shit like heating up food.
And it's absolutely retarded to display "Hungry" when you have no need to eat. Why does every character have a food addiction like the fat DDA dev? It's just one more trap for beginners which DDA already has plenty of. The later stages are still as piss easy as ever.
Did you let your character get fat? 👆🏿 Gunted! I mean lets be real, people still feel hungry even when they're fat. I think the way it's handled is fairly appropriate, you have to exercise restraint in order to manage your weight, much as in life. And the issue of it becoming easy later on is just part of progression, I think in some way it's part of the reward; what was once a struggle becomes trivial. In my first serious playthrough I over ate, then course corrected too hard with the Hattian diet, but I learned from that experience and I feel that was a fair part of the challenge. If you want to talk bullshit newbie killers though, fungus and flaming eyes fill that role nicely.

I will say the focus on realism does get grating in some instances though, like deprecating homemade airguns or flamethrowers because "realism". Like just fuck off you know? at high levels you can cobble together CBMs out of scraps, there's no reason to believe you couldn't set up a bike pump and pipe with a little valve.

EDIT; Actually have you played 0.F? They've changed the hunger indicator from 0.E, it's much more straight forward now.

Last edited:

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Did you let your character get fat? 👆🏿 Gunted! I mean lets be real, fat people still feel hungry even though they've had plenty. I think the way it's handled is fairly appropriate, you have to exercise restraint in order to manage your weight, much as in life. And the issue of it becoming easy later on is just part of progression, I think in some way it's part of the reward, as what was once a struggle becomes trivial.
You can eat more than a normal person could eat in a week and you'll be "Hungry" after an hour. It's ridiculous, confusing, and has nothing to do with realism. If anything it should be an optional negative trait (with Hungry also giving a significant morale penalty - it's just pointless as it is right now)

And someone who constantly fights/flees monsters or constructs shit doesn't really have to worry about getting fat.
It's first world problem that you wouldn't really find in the harsh apocalyptic world of DDA.

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
You can eat more than a normal person could eat in a week and you'll be "Hungry" after an hour. It's ridiculous, confusing, and has nothing to do with realism. If anything it should be an optional negative trait (with Hungry also giving a significant morale penalty - it's just pointless as it is right now)

And someone who constantly fights/flees monsters or constructs shit doesn't really have to worry about getting fat.
It's first world problem that you wouldn't really find in the harsh apocalyptic world of DDA.
You know what? Eating disorders would make for interesting traits. Have that go both ways, a character who can't keep food down, and a character who always feels hungry. Very high maintenance, but with a high point return in character creation.
Dunno about the chances of that getting put in the game though, schizophrenia getting changed to "kaluptphobia" or whatever the fuck in 0.F says to me that a prog's got the ear of one of the devs and is crying ableism. You can't just have interesting mechanics! This is offensive to me, a crazy person!

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Dunno about the chances of that getting put in the game though, schizophrenia getting changed to "kaluptphobia" or whatever the fuck in 0.F says to me that a prog's got the ear of one of the devs and is crying ableism. You can't just have interesting mechanics! This is offensive to me, a crazy person!
It might just be autism. "No that's not how schizophrenia really works, [insert obscure medical term] is much more correct".

The DDA devs are lolcows. The original maintainer was a furry and the current main dev Kevin had his wife come to defend him on github against mean comments (because he broke and refused to fix ranged combat for ages).

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I tried the game and it didn't go well. Starting off as an overweight DnD nerd is fun, but the difficulty so far seems to come from the lack of objectives, and wrestling with the interface.

ie. I wander around with no idea what to do, then get attacked by something and lose immediately despite knowing martial arts.

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
It might just be autism. "No that's not how schizophrenia really works, [insert obscure medical term] is much more correct".

The DDA devs are lolcows. The original maintainer was a furry and the current main dev Kevin had his wife come to defend him on github against mean comments (because he broke and refused to fix ranged combat for ages).
Oh my god as funny as that is I'm not sure I even wanted to be aware :stress: Here's hoping my current favorite game doesn't receive an early death for some retarded reason.
I guess you have to expect this kind of thing with a game that pretty much requires a signed autism diagnosis to play

I tried the game and it didn't go well. Starting off as an overweight DnD nerd is fun, but the difficulty so far seems to come from the lack of objectives, and wrestling with the interface.

ie. I wander around with no idea what to do, then get attacked by something and lose immediately despite knowing martial arts.
I mean when you think about it, a nerd who knows karate is probably just a euphoric, not actually skilled in it. Keep in mind that just knowing a martial art doesn't mean you'll be effective with it, unarmed/melee skill determine effectiveness.

Try the evacuee start, and seriously don't bother with anything that starts you in a population center. First things first, arm yourself, unarmed is only good at high levels. For combat, kiting is essential, even a high level character is at risk if they take on more than one at a time. Essential supplies are a backpack, some makeshift bandages, and antiseptic. If you have survival 2 you'll start with access to cattail jelly, which is a decent antiseptic and pretty much all I use in my own playthroughs. Only downside is that you need a nearby swamp or river, but those're decently common. Additionally if you wait a turn with empty hands (numpad 5 to wait) your character will automatically try to staunch bleeding.

For starter weapons I'd recommend a pipe, you can get a pipe pretty easy by smashing pretty much any metal household object (press s then push a directional key to smash). A baseball bat is also a decent starter weapon. Keep in mind is that you don't always need to fight, your walking speed is faster than most zombies. Just keep an eye on your stamina, if it runs out you won't be able to flee or fight.

As to what you should do when you start, mostly just gather basic supplies and set up a little home base. Things you should look for are medicine, non-perishable food, and tools. A good tactic for raiding houses "safely" is to start with houses on the edge of a town and enter from the back door, zombies tend to congregate in the streets, though you should still be cautious around basements. You can lower your visibility by crouching (press " then select crouch), and if shit goes south don't hesitate to run (" then select run), there's always more houses.

Finally, you can cheese the game by turning off auto saves and alt-f4'ng when shit gets unrecoverably fucked. I recommend it honestly, starting over for every mistake is no fun —just remember to manually save occasionally.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God dammit, does every interesting game have to have batshit insane (and often incompetent) assholes and/or woke deviant sex pests at the helm?

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
1630029488725.png
Would you believe it if I told you hospitals are packed during a pandemic? It's shocking. Pipebombs help, they really do, but nothing really helps against surprise boomer vomit though. All that pink stuff is fatty puke, even post apocalyptic America suffers from widespread obesity.

I'm just hoping that I get some lab equipment from this. For whatever reason Magiclysm has high-tech lab equipment as a requirement for potion making, pretty stupid but hopefully they add some more "magicy" alternatives eventually.

Gun Safety

The sorrows of death encompassed me
kiwifarms.net
Oh yes, this game. I recently was playing it again with all the mods that come included plus No Hope. No Hope really makes the early-mid game exciting by making it more difficult to reach that comfortable position where you have all the supplies you need plus an impenetrable fortress on wheels. For the first time in many play throughs I had to actually set up a base and smoke and hunt animals. Very fun. By the time I had lucked into finding a military vehicle that worked and I could modify to become a fortress, I had to delete the game. Was spending all my free time playing the game and I could feel myself becoming a dried out husk in front of my computer.

Here's a character discovering the old base I had for my first character in the world [I would recommend keeping your worlds instead of creating new characters, I think it's a good middle ground besides restarting entirely or save scumming, which I find the latter to really suck the enjoyment out of the game if you do it a lot].

2021-08-11-193813_1920x1080_scrot.png

Part of the problem with me sort of feeling burnt out toward the late-mid-game is that there is just an obvious way to play the game that is superior to all other ways and deviation from it is to your detriment, that is, Shagohod Mobile Fortress mode. I know they developed the camp system in the recent stable release but it didn't seem to be a way to provide more resources and materials than you could do just going out on your own. When they develop the faction camps into a intricate system that becomes a kind of strategy/management game within CDDA, I don't think I will bother playing any other games.

The game plays more like an open-world crafting survival game than as a traditional rogue like or RPG, there are quests but they're barebones. If that kind of thing really isn't your thing I don't think CDDA will be your thing. If you're still interested in giving it a shot I would like to add onto what @ConcernedAnon said. Do loot the peripheries of towns, houses are a good place to loot early on for food, backpacks, clothing, and sometimes you'll find neat tools [keep any kind of tool you find, they are one of the most valuable things]. I don't want to tell you to minmax but having a character with high perception (10-12) is extremely helpful since it increases your night vision, along with the perk of Night Vision you should be able to loot buildings at night fairly easily since you will see zombies well before they see you and you can easily lose them. A makeshift crowbar is invaluable for breaking and entering as quietly as possible with its prying feature (it can be made from simple materials you find in an evac shelter). Remember also that you can peak around corners with X, this allows you to see one tile in any direction without drawing any notice from enemies. Don't get too cocky, because runners and dogs can still kill the shit out of you easily.

Once you have food, adequate clothing, spare backpacks (they tend to be the first thing to break in combat, you can drop them easily if you need to but better to have redundant storage), a shelter away from major population centers (cabins are great for this since they're often in the middle of fields and sometimes even have water spickets which can give unlimited access to water) I would first keep a look out for a bicycle. These muscle powered vehicles allow you to explore quickly and also have an easy getaway vehicle if you bite off a little more than you can chew. Libraries and bookstores are a high-priority looting target, I wouldn't risk sneaking into the center of a large town for them but they contain skill books which can reduce a lot of the skill grind that you would otherwise have to endure. Garages and hardware stores often have useful items (in the case of garages they have essential tools you will need for maintaining metal weapons and creating and repairing vehicles). Mansions are VERY good places to checkout, often you can find extremely useful items or full on suits of armor and medieval weapons that will make your two-by-sword seem like a palm leaf. But loot as widely and freely as you can do without danger to your own life and bring all your loot to your base. It will be tedious at first but a huge stockpile of food, resources, books, and tools will make crafting cool items much more enjoyable.

You will die a lot before you get to this point but once you have a base with lots of supplies and a mode of transportation the game opens up. Modify or create your own vehicles, set up a forge to craft powerful weapons. Test your luck against the automated defense turrets of military bases (I prefer a gentle ram with the hood of a truck, remember to keep your head ducked!). Explore underground laboratories filled with God's shame and still more automated defense turrets. Forsake humanity to become an inhuman freak or a cyber augmented battle soldier. Exfiltrate survivors from Mi-Go camps into your band of unahppy men and arm them with pike and torch (or automatic rifles) to drive back the horde. Die because you got too cocky and flung yourself into the voltages of a shocker zombie then promptly uninstall the game. And so much more!

I remember a Newspaper article that brought up contrapoints, the discord is filled with trannies, too. But I never heard of this, is there more to the story?

eternal dog mongler

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God dammit, does every interesting game have to have batshit insane (and often incompetent) assholes and/or woke deviant sex pests at the helm?
You're surprised that a roguelike that allows you to be a rollerblading ninja master wearing a fursuit and chopping up zombies with a katana might have been developed by some strange people?

Anyway my favorite thing in this game was finding a school and punching zombie children in the face until my character was so depressed that he could barely move. The whole mental illness and disease system makes zero sense and it's funny.

ConcernedAnon

kiwifarms.net
Protip for killing massive amounts of children; do it from range. Empathy has a range of ~5-10 meters it seems, and past that point you can get away with just about anything with a clear conscience.

Alternatively be like this guy and just kite everything, seriously I don't think he kills anything until the ~4 hour mark of this series.
I don't know if he even has fun playing cataclysm tbh, he's so familiar with the game it seems to formulaic to him.

EDIT; on second thought, you actually get desensitized to killing zombie kids after killing about ~100 IIRC, I'd say it's a reasonable gimmick, makes an otherwise unthreatening enemy a little more challenging

Last edited:

Rent Tin

Time to Rock and Roll
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, a game I actually play! I've ran in the community for four or five years now and the amount of hilarious shit that comes out of the group of developers is tremendous. They routinely drive off talented code contributors and artists with their top-tier autism. They got so butthurt a while back about not being able to ban people they didn't like that they ended up creating a second "official" discord and even later a second "official" reddit page (where they are all conveniently moderators).

I'll have to dive through some of the archives and see if I can dig up anything funny.

Moths

Glow Glow
kiwifarms.net
Eat Survival MREs, want to kill yourself
restore sanity by sodomizing yourself with a dildo

and you wonder why its infested by trannies, still makes me laugh tho