Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Game client of choice

• Total voters

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
God dammit, does every interesting game have to have batshit insane (and often incompetent) assholes and/or woke deviant sex pests at the helm?
Yes. You gotta learn to separate the art from the artist.

And it's always been this way, too. You just didn't find out about it before the internet. Creative people tend to be nuts.

Rent Tin

Time to Rock and Roll
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Most recent drama is that the creator (SomeDeadGuy) of the game's most popular tileset (UndeadPeople) is ceasing his development on it as a result of this pull request and subsequent merge. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/51079
transupdate.jpg
SomeDeadGuy is a bit of a sperg in his own right, but the salt generated by the developers (especially I_Am_Erk) makes him worth following.

As of the last two years or so there has been work on a community tileset (UltiCata) as a replacement for the UndeadPeople tileset after it was removed from the base game as a result of possible assets from other games. It was still regularly updated and worked on and could be found at his Github project page. https://archive.md/pAOOB
This is the video he had in the helpme section.

Last edited:

ConcernedAnon

Concerned and hopefully anonymous
kiwifarms.net
Most recent drama is that the creator (SomeDeadGuy) of the game's most popular tileset (UndeadPeople) is ceasing his development on it as a result of this pull request and subsequent merge. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/51079
View attachment 2488156
SomeDeadGuy is a bit of a sperg in his own right, but the salt generated by the developers (especially I_Am_Erk) makes him worth following.

As of the last two years or so there has been work on a community tileset (UltiCata) as a replacement for the UndeadPeople tileset after it was removed from the base game as a result of possible assets from other games. It was still regularly updated and worked on and could be found at his Github project page. https://archive.md/pAOOB
This is the video he had in the helpme section.
View attachment 2488220
Well that's a seriously bad omen, it speaks to an desire on the part of the maintainers to harass the "deplorables" in the game's community. This is not remotely the correct mindset for managing a project, you should be thinking about whether it'll be a good game mechanic, not about who it'll piss off or who's fetish it'll feed. I could understand if it was an autodoc operation as some people in the comments suggested, but making it a menu option is pure troon bait.
And on the github page they've literally just marked every comment that isn't 100% in favor as spam. You really did deliver, this is lolcow behavior.

1630170329731.png
THE ELDER GODS SAY TRANS RIGHTS UWU

Rent Tin

Time to Rock and Roll
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They've been sperging like this for absolute years at this point, the core developers will continue to work on their stuff and people will make contributions here and there. The lead Kevin has a huge ego problem and has chased off many contributors under the guise of "muh vision".

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I gave the game another try with a buffed character. Lasting way better, but the game makes simple tasks needlessly complex. When I thought of ways I'd streamline the game, I realised what I was describing was Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die.

And that might be for the best. The biggest hurdle for me is the controls and how arbitrary some of the mechanics are, with the fun way to play not being the efficient way to play. eg. Walking around at night, kiting everything, and exploiting flaws in the AI.

Is there an end game to this, or is it just a case of survive until bored?

Alternatively be like this guy and just kite everything, seriously I don't think he kills anything until the ~4 hour mark of this series.
His channel has a Judge Dredd themed playthrough, so I'm watching that at the moment. It seems that this games fanbase has a lot of people who hate the game, which I never really understood.

ConcernedAnon

Concerned and hopefully anonymous
kiwifarms.net
I gave the game another try with a buffed character. Lasting way better, but the game makes simple tasks needlessly complex. When I thought of ways I'd streamline the game, I realised what I was describing was Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die.
Once you get used to the controls everything's pretty quick, that said, also a pretty good way to fuck up your wrists. Arrow keys were a mistake.

And that might be for the best. The biggest hurdle for me is the controls and how arbitrary some of the mechanics are, with the fun way to play not being the efficient way to play. eg. Walking around at night, kiting everything, and exploiting flaws in the AI.
Honestly I play exceptional individual mode, never gone on a night raid, I mostly just kill everything and loot after. If you can survive a lab start scenario, you'll end up with a bunch of guns and thousands of 5.56 rounds, past that point you can kind of just go hog wild, that's not to say it'll be easy but it will be much more fast paced.

Honestly this is the problem I have with Zomboid; there's no sustained upwards progression, you just salvage some tools, clear your neighborhood, and then watch everything slowly decay anyway. They really need to re-add stuff like blacksmithing.
The end game in CDDA is mutations/cybernetics/vehicles/experimental gear. There's a plot line that can be followed and a "main lab" or something of the sort IIRC that serves as a goal, never reached it though.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
His channel has a Judge Dredd themed playthrough, so I'm watching that at the moment. It seems that this games fanbase has a lot of people who hate the game, which I never really understood.
I think people mostly just dislike the development team. The game itself is pretty fun for a while. Biggest problem is that a lot of stuff in the endgame is rather pointless. You pretty much just hit the point where nothing challenges you anymore and there's no way to make your character stronger and then you quit.

People really aren't exaggerating about how bad the development team is. I played this game a few years ago and it hasn't advanced much since. Development is stagnant because Kevin doesn't like other people playing with his little sandcastle.

Rent Tin

Time to Rock and Roll
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Best way to play the game is to pick some interesting start or scenario and role with it. Have an end-goal for your roleplay and rock and roll until you end up dead or mutated and modified to the point where nothing on the planet can stop you.

Examples of previous characters include:

A schizophrenic mad scientist who fervently bio-engineered his body into a quivering mess that eventually lost all human thought and became a killing machine.

A meth snorting mechanic, hell bent on creating a vehicle sturdy and powerful enough to decimate entire hordes and quenching his burning desire for revenge with their blood.

There is actually a surprising amount of end-game content to explore, although the game does not make it obvious and people don't usually discuss all of it due to most of it being spoiler territory.

Gun Safety

The sorrows of death encompassed me
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I play exceptional individual mode, never gone on a night raid, I mostly just kill everything and loot after. If you can survive a lab start scenario, you'll end up with a bunch of guns and thousands of 5.56 rounds, past that point you can kind of just go hog wild, that's not to say it'll be easy but it will be much more fast paced.

You also get access to really cool items. I did a lab start where there were mininukes on the lowest level, fifty of them. Took like an hour to carry them all the way to the surface. I probably don't have to tell you how my character ended up dying.

Also schizophrenia is the coolest trait to pick because its one of the few traits that actually changes how you play. It doesn't quite go far enough since the only real downside of it is dropping your weapon when your character gets angry or upset at it or having your sleep interrupted by a hallucinated bang or clash. Also scratching yourself randomly that interrupts crafting and reading. I wish it went farther, maybe having to do certain things or craft certain items to satisfy some delusion or suffer increasingly harsh morale penalties, as it stands, though, I have to combine it with narcoleptic for truly self-sabotaging fun.

Addictions are fun, the positive buffs of drug use have been nerfed into the ground but they give a fun goal to work toward. I wish there was a way to automatically satisfy cravings since a chain smoking character sounds cool but having to constantly stop what you're doing to light up or drink is really tedious. Never tried to play the game as someone addicted to hard drugs, though, I think I'll give that a try.

Last edited:

Rent Tin

Time to Rock and Roll
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You also get access to really cool items. I did a lab start where there were mininukes on the lowest level, fifty of them. Took like an hour to carry them all the way to the surface. I probably don't have to tell you how my character ended up dying.

Also schizophrenia is the coolest trait to pick because its one of the few traits that actually changes how you play. It doesn't quite go far enough since the only real downside of it is dropping your weapon when your character gets angry or upset at it or having your sleep interrupted by a hallucinated bang or clash. Also scratching yourself randomly that interrupts crafting and reading. I wish it went farther, maybe having to do certain things or craft certain items to satisfy some delusion or suffer increasingly harsh morale penalties, as it stands, though, I have to combine it with narcoleptic for truly self-sabotaging fun.

Addictions are fun, the positive buffs of drug use have been nerfed into the ground but they give a fun goal to work toward. I wish there was a way to automatically satisfy cravings since a chain smoking character sounds cool but having to constantly stop what you're doing to light up or drink is really tedious. Never tried to play the game as someone addicted to hard drugs, though, I think I'll give that a try.
Playing as the meth mechanic I learned to love strange shacks in the woods, biker bars and labs hidden in out of the way houses or even the hidden junkyard labs. (Look for the large amount of motorbikes)

Seriously recommend playing as a druggie with cockroach level luck, hilarious play-through no matter if you're "winning" or losing.