Chakats -

Emo Crow Fumikage

can beat Stress on normal, but not Guns
kiwifarms.net
Chakats just never really stayed with the fandom outside of the geekier sides of the fandom, for better or for worse. However, with that Avali species from RyuujinZero that is a much better handled sci fi species and doesn't have any of Chakat's womandick fetish attached to it, I doubt Chakats will be making a comeback for a foreseeable while.
Thing is, as far as I can tell, Chakats were never a big thing in the first place. They seem to have been super obscure, actually. I guess I just didn't expect that it was still going, I was kind of under the impression that it was some old and outdated autism. Kind of reminds me of Chris Chan, actually.

Cable

kiwifarms.net
Thing is, as far as I can tell, Chakats were never a big thing in the first place. They seem to have been super obscure, actually. I guess I just didn't expect that it was still going, I was kind of under the impression that it was some old and outdated autism. Kind of reminds me of Chris Chan, actually.
IIRC Chakats were a thing from the early 2000's/late 90's and are heavily Star Trek inspired from what I have seen.

Tennis-Ball-Tony

Coolest cracker in the box
kiwifarms.net
Probably because they weren't easy to draw, so outside of the circle of guys that draw them, there wasn't much pick up of them. I think they were just popular because of the force of autism by Doove. I mean his site is still up and running for the most part.

IIRC Chakats were a thing from the early 2000's/late 90's and are heavily Star Trek inspired from what I have seen.
It's like how mustelids became a thing for certain circles. Every old furry usually has at least one weasel or ferret, or space ferret character.

Emo Crow Fumikage

kiwifarms.net
Probably because they weren't easy to draw, so outside of the circle of guys that draw them, there wasn't much pick up of them. I think they were just popular because of the force of autism by Doove. I mean his site is still up and running for the most part.
Yeah, just looking at pictures of them gives me the impression that it would take a decent amount of time to draw one. Seems an overall impractical design.

Emo Crow Fumikage

kiwifarms.net
a lot of furry artists either do not take taurs at all for fear of messing up taur anatomy or have increased costs for taurs due to how complex taurs normally are.
That makes sense. Like I (and someone else in this thread) said, it's not a very practical design.

Man, this is one of those things. One of those things you discover and you just want to find out more about (especially in the autism side of things) and it's just frustrating because there doesn't seem to be that much, if that makes sense?

Cable

kiwifarms.net
Man, this is one of those things. One of those things you discover and you just want to find out more about (especially in the autism side of things) and it's just frustrating because there doesn't seem to be that much, if that makes sense?
that is the way with obscure species are usually, you find the species nice and then you better hope that the species is decently documented enough and the creator has an active presence in the fandom that you'll know what you're getting into.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
Bear in mind the era where these things were popular was in an age of the early internet and archiving wasn't a terribly big deal.

As I recall there was a whole webcomic or set of stories based on it. There is still a TvTropes page for Chakona Space but I think the links might be dead.

AngryTreeRat

Meds aren't working. Better get new ones.
kiwifarms.net
Bear in mind the era where these things were popular was in an age of the early internet and archiving wasn't a terribly big deal.

As I recall there was a whole webcomic or set of stories based on it. There is still a TvTropes page for Chakona Space but I think the links might be dead.
See the nice thing though is this was old enough to be from the usenet days, and a lot of that stuff is still archived around if you know where to look... a lot of it was just mass archived indiscriminately too so most of the archives don't even know what they have since no one really knew what they had and just stored it all just incase. So knowing that I decided toss the word "chakat" into a few archives I know of and if we go here we can find this:
Hellopurrs!

While felitaurs in general did exist before I created the Chakats, they were rather few. Too few for me. I put a lot of work into the creation of this species and Chakats have several features that make them unique and very definitely copyright to me.

Having said that and bearing it in mind, I don't mind other artists and authors using Chakat characters, provided that they clear it with me first. As Cassandra Foxx has said, I will always try to be helpful. I would rather encourage creativity than put a stranglehold on them. Please check out my website for details.

Tail high!
--
Chakat Goldfur (a.k.a. Bernard Doove) I don't bite, I PURR!
The Chakat's Den, Melbourne, Australia ICQ# 3430714
Website at http://www.felidae.apana.org.au/~chakat/Den.html
FC1.3: FFMt3admw A+++ C++ D+ H+ M+ P++ R+ T+++ W+ Z+++ Sh++ RLAT a41 cn+ d e+ f++ h+ iwf+ j+ p- sm#
Which can tell us a few things, first of all we can see how degenerate their origin point was in '98, because seriously, that shit reminds me of fucking bronies saying "everypony" . We can also see his view on the copyright of chakats in '98. The actual content isn't important, its that sig under it that might tell us some stuff

We can look a bit lower and see him provide us with his real name and alias... which means we can see he wasn't too private about it even back in '98.

We can see he is from Melbourne, Asutralia... and what is that ICQ#... well... its a zombie social media... messenger... thing... I don't really understand this and seems useless now, but amusingly if we go here to a slightly less modern version of the "Chakat's Den" (Archive) we can see that number is still there. So he held onto it for a while. Also fuck this bastard for audio that autoplays on going onto his page. I support his death for just ever having done that.

We can see a (now dead) website there, which from all I can tell by reading that URL and comparing it to what I can dig up is just an old dead iteration of the previously archived and linked "Chakat's Den" might be worth looking for an archive on that I guess, and then we can see a funny little string...

Now, this confused me... but then I remembered... sleeping on the bed not 10 feet away from me is the closest thing to a sane furfag I've ever met, and as I was typing this she woke up to take a piss. I showed it to her to see if she could recognize it, and oh boy did she reveal what it was... its a furry code, which when I asked for details she said "its something the really degenerate ones use", apparently no, my pet furfag does not have one so I can't tease her about it once I am done here. Also apparently its pretty old fashion, so that means I should see if he still uses it, because he might now.

Well let's see if he has it still on that previous site, as well as the most modern version I know of, found here (Archive). Spoiler, yes does he have it on both cases. So let's put these together here, sorted by when the sources appear to have been last updated:

These haven't changed much, and I found a way to decode them right here. So each of those above is just a link to an archive incase the site goes down and someone reads this in the future and doesn't want to find their own way to reverse engineer it.

But we can learn a bit about him now from this, and some of this is boring, but we do get some gems:

His furry species is apparently a feline-taur (no fucking surprise) specifically based off of a mountain lion apparently. He also uses it as "a general alter-ego, someone to draw pictures of, a MU* character and someone to write stories about." Yeah, all of this is encoded in that "FMt3admw" segment.
We know he puts his art out there for others to see and contributes to other's collections, and that he is he's active at conventions to the point that he has been involved in the running and/or organization of them.
He owns and wears a fursuit where costumes are expected, but not where they are uncommon or not expected, so at least he isn't totally socially inept. No lols here sadly, but it means we should hunt for some fursuit pics to laugh at him.
He accepts hugs and may give them back, which is boring.
He is apparently involved in a furry Multi User Dungeon, going all the way back to '97 up to the modern day. Which surprised me, I thought I was one of the only people alive still playing MUDs.
He has some plushies, so more boring, but he doesn't just have some, he has several of them, and they aren't of just one character.
He, hilariously, prefers "realistic" furries over cartoony furries. Bernard "Chakat Goldfur" Doove, creator of the fucking Chakat fucking prefers realistic furries? What the fuck? Does this mean he thinks his abominations are realistic? He's tolerant of the cartoony degeneracy BTW.
He's into transformation, but he wants some say in it, likely so he can turn into his degenerate creation.
He's sold books about being a degenerate, or containing his furfaggotry. No surprise, but this is recent, as back in the older tags he had only published stuff in furry zines.
His fursona is a herm and, as the kids say, DTF. No surprise.
Considers himself unspecialized, or "Jack of All Trades".
We can get his age at each of these BTW, 41, 43, and the most recent puts him at 58. So we know that some of these are out of date for when he posted them.
He's competent enough with a computer, considering he makes ugly ass websites, yeah I am forced to agree with him. He's competent. Not good though.
He's fucking indifferent to fucking the great id Software shooters of yesteryear, and looking at his age and he held this opinion in '98 he's clearly got something wrong with him, because sure, you can argue they've aged poorly by today's standards, but fuck, dude was fucked back in the day.
He apparently has some education beyond high school, but he doesn't seem to have a degree. Likely fucking dropped out of college.
He's been known to "bark at friends to great them" or rather, he openly and publicly displays his furfaggottry towards his friends.
He typically lives with non-furries, but for a short time he was alone but other furries would potentially visit him during that time.
He has a furry website, which we know. He also apparently browses the web regularly. Shows the age of this shit eh?
He's apparently a weeb too, but the level of weebiness has increased since he was 43, to the point where he's watching a lot of it apparently.
He didn't have pets when he was 41 or 43, but he does have a few now, lets just hope he's not fucking them.
Oh, also he admits to being male, but doesn't want to say if he is a virgin or not.

I actually learned how to fucking read that code by eye to some degree without using some decoder while researching and comparing several furcode decoders for this. Fucking kill me.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
See the nice thing though is this was old enough to be from the usenet days, and a lot of that stuff is still archived around if you know where to look... a lot of it was just mass archived indiscriminately too so most of the archives don't even know what they have since no one really knew what they had and just stored it all just incase. So knowing that I decided toss the word "chakat" into a few archives I know of and if we go here we can find this:

Which can tell us a few things, first of all we can see how degenerate their origin point was in '98, because seriously, that shit reminds me of fucking bronies saying "everypony" . We can also see his view on the copyright of chakats in '98. The actual content isn't important, its that sig under it that might tell us some stuff

We can look a bit lower and see him provide us with his real name and alias... which means we can see he wasn't too private about it even back in '98.

We can see he is from Melbourne, Asutralia... and what is that ICQ#... well... its a zombie social media... messenger... thing... I don't really understand this and seems useless now, but amusingly if we go here to a slightly less modern version of the "Chakat's Den" (Archive) we can see that number is still there. So he held onto it for a while. Also fuck this bastard for audio that autoplays on going onto his page. I support his death for just ever having done that.

We can see a (now dead) website there, which from all I can tell by reading that URL and comparing it to what I can dig up is just an old dead iteration of the previously archived and linked "Chakat's Den" might be worth looking for an archive on that I guess, and then we can see a funny little string...

Now, this confused me... but then I remembered... sleeping on the bed not 10 feet away from me is the closest thing to a sane furfag I've ever met, and as I was typing this she woke up to take a piss. I showed it to her to see if she could recognize it, and oh boy did she reveal what it was... its a furry code, which when I asked for details she said "its something the really degenerate ones use", apparently no, my pet furfag does not have one so I can't tease her about it once I am done here. Also apparently its pretty old fashion, so that means I should see if he still uses it, because he might now.

Well let's see if he has it still on that previous site, as well as the most modern version I know of, found here (Archive). Spoiler, yes does he have it on both cases. So let's put these together here, sorted by when the sources appear to have been last updated:

These haven't changed much, and I found a way to decode them right here. So each of those above is just a link to an archive incase the site goes down and someone reads this in the future and doesn't want to find their own way to reverse engineer it.

But we can learn a bit about him now from this, and some of this is boring, but we do get some gems:

His furry species is apparently a feline-taur (no fucking surprise) specifically based off of a mountain lion apparently. He also uses it as "a general alter-ego, someone to draw pictures of, a MU* character and someone to write stories about." Yeah, all of this is encoded in that "FMt3admw" segment.
We know he puts his art out there for others to see and contributes to other's collections, and that he is he's active at conventions to the point that he has been involved in the running and/or organization of them.
He owns and wears a fursuit where costumes are expected, but not where they are uncommon or not expected, so at least he isn't totally socially inept. No lols here sadly, but it means we should hunt for some fursuit pics to laugh at him.
He accepts hugs and may give them back, which is boring.
He is apparently involved in a furry Multi User Dungeon, going all the way back to '97 up to the modern day. Which surprised me, I thought I was one of the only people alive still playing MUDs.
He has some plushies, so more boring, but he doesn't just have some, he has several of them, and they aren't of just one character.
He, hilariously, prefers "realistic" furries over cartoony furries. Bernard "Chakat Goldfur" Doove, creator of the fucking Chakat fucking prefers realistic furries? What the fuck? Does this mean he thinks his abominations are realistic? He's tolerant of the cartoony degeneracy BTW.
He's into transformation, but he wants some say in it, likely so he can turn into his degenerate creation.
He's sold books about being a degenerate, or containing his furfaggotry. No surprise, but this is recent, as back in the older tags he had only published stuff in furry zines.
His fursona is a herm and, as the kids say, DTF. No surprise.
Considers himself unspecialized, or "Jack of All Trades".
We can get his age at each of these BTW, 41, 43, and the most recent puts him at 58. So we know that some of these are out of date for when he posted them.
He's competent enough with a computer, considering he makes ugly ass websites, yeah I am forced to agree with him. He's competent. Not good though.
He's fucking indifferent to fucking the great id Software shooters of yesteryear, and looking at his age and he held this opinion in '98 he's clearly got something wrong with him, because sure, you can argue they've aged poorly by today's standards, but fuck, dude was fucked back in the day.
He apparently has some education beyond high school, but he doesn't seem to have a degree. Likely fucking dropped out of college.
He's been known to "bark at friends to great them" or rather, he openly and publicly displays his furfaggottry towards his friends.
He typically lives with non-furries, but for a short time he was alone but other furries would potentially visit him during that time.
He has a furry website, which we know. He also apparently browses the web regularly. Shows the age of this shit eh?
He's apparently a weeb too, but the level of weebiness has increased since he was 43, to the point where he's watching a lot of it apparently.
He didn't have pets when he was 41 or 43, but he does have a few now, lets just hope he's not fucking them.
Oh, also he admits to being male, but doesn't want to say if he is a virgin or not.

I actually learned how to fucking read that code by eye to some degree without using some decoder while researching and comparing several furcode decoders for this. Fucking kill me.
oven.png

Rogue Boob

Interchangeable Addiction
kiwifarms.net
The nearest thing to them in terms of background lore these days imho is the sergal species. The fandom's signature autism drifted away from geeky scifi shit when scifi stopped being geeky and got trendy. Well, that and the whole population trended younger. Different strokes, pun heavily intended.

Any overview or timeline of fanmade/closed/adoptable/whatever species should include the Chakat phenomenon, really.

AngryTreeRat

kiwifarms.net
The nearest thing to them in terms of background lore these days imho is the sergal species. The fandom's signature autism drifted away from geeky scifi shit when scifi stopped being geeky and got trendy. Well, that and the whole population trended younger. Different strokes, pun heavily intended.

Any overview or timeline of fanmade/closed/adoptable/whatever species should include the Chakat phenomenon, really.
I wouldn't just say it was the shift into Sci-Fi becoming trendy, after all if we want to point at when that happened I would say it was during the height of Starwars, which was during the lead up to and during the prequels releases, which happens to be the same time when Chakat's were at their peak. No I think it is partially due to being a fanspecies that they died out. Usenet archives are full of them if you are willing to suffer through it.

The other factor is actually related to the trend away from Sci-Fi into Urban and High Fantasy. Modern Chakats don't seem too tied to Sci-Fi, when I go hunting for things related to them that isn't from Doove I find a lot of shitty pervy urban and high fantasy writings, so naturally this isn't a major part as they could and did just adapt after all.

Now the last part is... and time to point out I am speaking relatively here, Chakats, as far as inbuilt sexual fetishistic BS goes, are pretty tame by internet fetish standards. Herm isn't that crazy anymore, taurs can come in a million flavours, cat furs are pretty vanilla no matter how you cut it these days, the crazy "hormones drive them to endlessly fuck and makes them stupid" shit is so common I skimmed over that part on my first research pass as "blah blah blah standard furry shit". They were created at a time when you were supposed to try and hide your fetish fuel as being something more than fetish fuel.

Add to this the fact that nothing about them inherently plays to any "normal fetishes" like bondage and S&M, they are difficult to draw and therefore making porn of them is a pain in the ass, and they don't have anything crazy going on with their genitals and no wonder no one is developing fucked up fetishes for them like sergals, which aren't trying to be anything other than fetish fuel and much of their internal drama revolves around the fetishistic and sexual degeneracy of the species.

Tennis-Ball-Tony

Coolest cracker in the box
kiwifarms.net
the crazy "hormones drive them to endlessly fuck and makes them stupid" shit is so common I skimmed over that part on my first research pass as "blah blah blah standard furry shit".
I absolutely loathe that trope in early furry stuff. It always seemed like a way to cut out a lot of character/story development, but thinking more, it's probably because the people that come up with this stuff haven't had much if any experience in that department. Sort of like Zigzag. "Oh she's a porn star but also does all the other things, and everything perfect and she doesn't even use any drugs!"

AngryTreeRat

kiwifarms.net
I absolutely loathe that trope in early furry stuff. It always seemed like a way to cut out a lot of character/story development, but thinking more, it's probably because the people that come up with this stuff haven't had much if any experience in that department. Sort of like Zigzag. "Oh she's a porn star but also does all the other things, and everything perfect and she doesn't even use any drugs!"
It's still pretty popular. To show my PL here:

Despite not being a furry, I read a lot of furry porn as a proof reader and editor. It pays pretty good. Thing is, I suffer through so much "hormones make me fuck crazy!" And "these pheromones make me a mindless fuck slave" crap that I don't even process it anymore. It's filler fluff to me.

Not being a furfag makes me better at proof reading and editing actually, it's a desirable trait. Since then I'm more concerned with the quality of the spelling, grammar, and formatting than jerking off to a knotted cock.

I'm going to hide my PL before I give details on what and who I proof read for in specific, just know this went no where. It's still popular, in fact more so because fetishes are memetic.

Petronella

kiwifarms.net
I first encountered these things back in like 2000 on Furcadia. Genuinely had no clue they were still even around, let alone popular in the furry community. This thread and the mention of Doug Winger upthread both unlocked a core memory for me and make me want to check into a retirement home.

AngryTreeRat

kiwifarms.net
So what we can all agree on here is that furry porn is basically boring?
Eh, sometimes it's interesting, but in a english nerd way. I once read a 600 word description of a knotted dragon cock fucking a gay cat ass to death. The actual events weren't that crazy by furry standards. Though I guess to a sane person not used to furries that must sound insane. The bar just keeps rising for what's interesting for furry porn.

That's the big issue for Chakats being more popular today really. Furry standards are so far out there now that "herms that endlessly fuck or become progressively dumber" is nothing in comparison.

After all, furries ultimately only care about porn.