Chicago Police Chief Eddie Johnson fired after 'series of ethical lapses,' mayor says - In a statement, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Johnson "was intentionally dishonest with me" following an incident in October.

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

LordofTendons

OW MAI LAIG
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Dec. 2, 2019, 12:11 PM EST

By Erik Ortiz

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson, who announced his retirement last month and planned to step down at the end of the year, was unexpectedly fired Monday by Mayor Lori Lightfoot.
In a statement, Lightfoot said the decision was made as a result of a "series of ethical lapses that are intolerable."

Johnson, 60, initially said he was retiring as the head of the nation's second-largest municipal police force after he was found asleep behind the wheel of his car on Oct. 17. Another driver called 911, and Lightfoot had told the Chicago Sun-Times that Johnson had said to her that he had "a couple of drinks with dinner" before the incident. The incident was being independently reviewed.

"Mr. Johnson was intentionally dishonest with me and communicated a narrative replete with false statements regarding material aspects of the incident that happened in the early morning hours of October 17," Lightfoot said Monday. "Had I known all the facts at the time, I would have relieved him of his duties as superintendent then and there."

Lightfoot previously announced in November that former Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck would take over as interim superintendent of the Chicago Police Department following Johnson's retirement.
------------

Juicy Smelly quietly snickers in the corner....

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait. I'm confused. Why would someone call 911 if he was just sleeping in his car and why would that be an issue if he was doing so?
Well, if he was sitting at a light, that would do it. Have actually had that happen. Guy in front didn't go, I beep-beep, nothing. Light goes through the cycle, I get out and walk up to his car, he's passed the fuck out over the steering wheel. I thought it might be medical, nope. Drunk off his ass. Pounding on the window, he comes to and takes off.

I don't know if that's what happened here, but a likely scenario.

Kamov Ka-52

Fangs bared
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, if he was sitting at a light, that would do it. Have actually had that happen. Guy in front didn't go, I beep-beep, nothing. Light goes through the cycle, I get out and walk up to his car, he's passed the fuck out over the steering wheel. I thought it might be medical, nope. Drunk off his ass. Pounding on the window, he comes to and takes off.

I don't know if that's what happened here, but a likely scenario.
That doesn't seem to be the case according to the initial article that's cited.

A passing motorist noticed him and called 911. Chicago police said in a statement Thursday that when officers arrived on scene, they checked Johnson’s well-being and "did not observe any signs of impairment," NBC Chicago reported. Johnson was a few blocks from his home.

The Reaper

Dreaming of Egg Nog
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For some reason sleeping behind the wheel regardless of where the car is located is a big no in most places. I think its along the lines of "If you're tired enough to fall asleep behind the wheel you shouldn't be in the car in the first place. Also could be indications that they are drunk or passed out because something is wrong. Sometimes could be considered a loitering thing as well.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

A passing motorist noticed him and called 911. Chicago police said in a statement Thursday that when officers arrived on scene, they checked Johnson’s well-being and "did not observe any signs of impairment," NBC Chicago reported. Johnson was a few blocks from his home.
What a coincidence that two cops didn't find anything wrong with the Chief of Police sleeping in his car, it's not like he's their boss or anything. He also, despite being passed out in his car and allegedly admitting to having a "few drinks", was not apparently admitted a breathalyzer test.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What a coincidence that two cops didn't find anything wrong with the Chief of Police sleeping in his car, it's not like he's their boss or anything. He also, despite being passed out in his car and allegedly admitting to having a "few drinks", was not apparently admitted a breathalyzer test.
My understanding is that a regular citizen would get the same DUI charge that someone driving down the road would get in many cases. Even if they're sleeping in the passenger's seat or in the back.

Cheesegirl78

"I want to f**k you sex sex sex"
kiwifarms.net
My understanding is that a regular citizen would get the same DUI charge that someone driving down the road would get in many cases. Even if they're sleeping in the passenger's seat or in the back.
It's called a wet & reckless out here.
If you've been drinking and want to sleep it off in your car, make sure you put the car keys in the glove box or divider. If you have them on your person, that's considered intent to drive, so you're charged with a DUI, that gets plea bargained down to the W&R.
You don't get in as much trouble as you would with a DUI.
Happened to a friend of mine, I think it's another way for the county to grift money out of you.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's even harsher here, unless the keys are in the trunk, a person sleeping in the backseat with them in their back pockets is still considered "in control" of the vehicle.

Leads to the occasional overzealous prosecution where a guy has too much to drink and decides to sleep it off in the bar parking lot, and the cops charge him with DUI from the back seat in a cold, dark, parked vehicle that's off the road because he didn't throw the keys out the window but left them lying on the floor "within easy reach"...

Fortunately, it's usually That One (tm) over-aggressive cop and most of the time the Jury says "Stop being pedantic" and acquits, but still.....it's possible to be DUI,

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
The partial truth is in the article though:
Lightfoot had told the Chicago Sun-Times that Johnson had said to her that he had "a couple of drinks with dinner" before the incident. The incident was being independently reviewed.
I'm surprised the Chief of Police would use the "couple of drinks" line when that is all but a DUI indicator for anyone else not behind the blue shield. Everyone else would be caught in the money making scheme of DUIs/DWIs that every city runs.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino