China bans 'unwholesome' anime including Death Note, Attack on Titan -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
link

China's Ministry of Culture on Monday announced that 38 Japanese anime and manga works will no longer be allowed to be distributed in the country, online or otherwise.

Japanese anime and manga series blacklisted by the ministry include Attack on Titan, High School of the Dead and Death Note.

The ministry said that 29 of China's leading internet portals including Sohu, Tencent and Baidu have received warnings and have been fined for supplying content containing sex and violence to minors.

A ministry official said that the blacklist was imposed to prevent negative influence on Chinese youth from unwholesome content.

It said that continued violations of the ban will result in the revoking of business licenses for offenders.

Meanwhile, a number of avid fans in China have vented their disappointment on the Weibo micro blog, saying that such bans will only highlight the gulf in China's cultural diversity in relation to the outside world, and that such measures will not prevent those who are highly motivated in following their favorite shows, and will only aid the cultural incursion the authorities are trying to prevent.

Another Chinese internet user agreed with the ministry, saying that he thought Attack on Titan was quite gory for his taste.

China's censors have better taste than most anime fans.

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
CHINA!!!! Eh. Most of those anime are fucking overrated and I don't fucking care either way.

Yeah - I'll show myself out, now - Peace, everyone.
Yeah, as far banning goes, they are banning what can amount to being fan-service and edgy looking animes. Even then, there could be pirates that could sell these in a black market. Still, it's not like anyone would watch these considering that at least one internet user found one of these animes too gory for their taste.

Rin

Needlessly Bitchy Pigtails Girl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, as far banning goes, they are banning what can amount to being fan-service and edgy looking animes. Even then, there could be pirates that could sell these in a black market. Still, it's not like anyone would watch these considering that at least one internet user found one of these animes too gory for their taste.
Eh, they're not that gory. I mean, AoT is gory for anime, but compared to a lot of movies or video games it's average. China has kind of weird standards for things; like, the Forsaken in WoW aren't allowed to have visible bones in China.

Also, the three listed are all pretty popular, so I find the statement that no one would watch them kind of weird.

Sanshain

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
Why yes, banning Death Note makes perfect sense. It's an anime about how a tiny minority exercises absolute, unyielding dominance over the vast majority of their fellow humanity and possess the ability to make anybody who disagrees with their viewpoint vanish almost at will with zero consequences or possibility of political censure. No way the Chinese would want that kind of anime broadcast to the general public.

The Lawgiver

ayo-in1X/XX/21THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EAR
kiwifarms.net
I saw something years ago about China banning Death Note, something about Kids making their own "death notes" in schools over there. I guess it was just the comic, not the show? Either that or it was something completely different. It really seems that China's government has a "think of the children!" attitude whenever they ban potentially offensive/offensive things.

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I saw something years ago about China banning Death Note, something about Kids making their own "death notes" in schools over there. I guess it was just the comic, not the show? Either that or it was something completely different. It really seems that China's government has a "think of the children!" attitude whenever they ban potentially offensive/offensive things.

China has banned a lot of anime. Including the 'Blue Fatty' Doraemon

S

SU 390

kiwifarms.net
IIRC, China also banned Pokemon(citation needed I know). It makes sense to ban Death Note because its' concept is pretty grim.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Now I got to wonder what those other anime are.

Hell, while China's at it, maybe just ban all entertainment and become the real-life version of the plot from AKB0048. See what the rest of the world thinks about it.

I don't know about being that broad - I say this as a lot of people would probably like to see the world become like China in that last regard, m8 - then we can make REAL entertainment again, via starting over and doing it right, someday. Like in a way that doesn't aim for social media fucks and that's all it appeals to, for example (that goes for anime, cartoons, and everything else I can think of.).

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
It's more like China is protecting its people from shit shows.

Is Jojo still okay?(:_(

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know about being that broad - I say this as a lot of people would probably like to see the world become like China in that last regard, m8 - then we can make REAL entertainment again, via starting over and doing it right, someday. Like in a way that doesn't aim for social media fucks and that's all it appeals to, for example (that goes for anime, cartoons, and everything else I can think of.).
Really, a "general viewing public" in this case. And that's not a bad thing.