World China bans US military visits to Hong Kong in response to Washington's support for protesters -

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

Ilackcreativity

"Insert Title Here"
kiwifarms.net
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/02/asia/us-military-hong-kong-intl-hnk-scli/index.html?__twitter_impression=true?via=webuproar

China bans US military visits to Hong Kong in response to Washington's support for protesters

By Brad Lendon, CNN

Updated 5:19 AM EST, Mon December 02, 2019

article video

Hong Kong(CNN) China will ban US warships and military aircraft from making stops in Hong Kong in the wake of Washington passing legislation supporting the territory's pro-democracy protesters, the country's Foreign Ministry said Monday.

"In response to the unreasonable behaviors of the US side, the Chinese government decides to suspend the review of requests by US military ships and aircraft to visit Hong Kong as of today," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a news conference in Beijing.

Hua also announced that Beijing would impose sanctions on several US non-governmental human rights organizations that have been monitoring and reporting on the protests in Hong Kong.

US President Donald Trump last week signed the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act into law after it sailed through both Houses of the US Congress with almost unanimous bipartisan approval.

The new law would permit Washington to impose sanctions or even suspend Hong Kong's special trading status over rights violations.

The USS Blue Ridge, the flagship of the US Navy's 7th Fleet, makes a port call in Hong Kong in April 2019.
The USS Blue Ridge, the flagship of the US Navy's 7th Fleet, makes a port call in Hong Kong in April 2019.

Shortly after the bill was signed into law, China's Foreign Ministry accused the US of "bullying behavior," "disregarding the facts" and "publicly supporting violent criminals."

On Monday it took more concrete action, banning consideration of visits by US warships to one of their longtime ports of call in Asia and a favorite spot for those aboard to get rest and relaxation after long periods at sea.

Just over a year ago, the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan and ships in its strike group carried some 7,000 personnel into Hong Kong in what at the time was seen as an easing of tensions between Washington and Beijing over China's military buildup in the South China Sea. That visit came after China had denied a similar port call earlier in 2018.

Since the Reagan visit, the amphibious command ship USS Blue Ridge, the flagship of the US Seventh Fleet, and the US Coast Guard Cutter Bertholf have made notable stops in Hong Kong, both in April.

But in August, while protests were heating up in the city, China rejected scheduled visits by the amphibious transport dock USS Green Bay and the guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Erie.

South China Sea tensions

Monday's Chinese Foreign Ministry announcement followed harsh words from Beijing last week after the US Navy sailed warships within 12 miles of Chinese-claimed islands in the South China Sea on Wednesday and Thursday in so-called "freedom on navigation" operations.
article video

Those actions "upheld the rights, freedoms, and lawful uses of the sea," Cmdr. Reann Mommsen, a spokeswoman for the Navy's 7th Fleet, told CNN in a statement.

But China called them "a highly dangerous provocation," according to Ren Guoqiang, spokesman for Beijing's Defense Ministry.

"The trespassing hurts regional peace and stability, harms China's sovereignty and security, and endangers the lives of frontline officers and soldiers of both sides," Ren said, according to a story posted on the military's English-language website.

Human rights groups face sanctions

In addition to the rebuke to the US military on Monday, China said it was sanctioning several US NGOs for so-called bad behavior during the Hong Kong protests.
article video

"China decides to sanction on the organizations that behave badly during the Hong Kong extradition-bill unrest, including National Endowment for Democracy, National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, International Republican Institute, Human Rights Watch and Freedom House," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua said.

The Chinese government accused the NGOs of supporting "anti-China people" and said they were instigating protesters "engaging in extreme crimes" in pursuit of Hong Kong's separation from China.

It is unclear what sanctions will be imposed on the NGOs or how the organizations might be affected.

CNN's Yong Xiong, Josh Berlinger, Jamie Crawford, Barbara Starr and Ryan Browne contributed to this report.

Arctic Fox

Merry Christmas, everyone!
kiwifarms.net
I'm impressed both houses supported this without much pushback.
I think a lot of politicians realize that supporting China is only hurting us long term. I've thought for a while that a major war between the US and China would happen, it might be that others think the same.
Getting Hong Kong as a protectorate might be on some of their agendas.

Tour of Italy

Order your favorite Italian combinations online.
kiwifarms.net
I'm impressed both houses supported this without much pushback.
I’m not. Some people voted because they care about Hong Kong but the rest did it to fuck with Trump by sabotaging ongoing trade relations.

I do think it’s funny that it took it becoming an opportunity to mess with Orange Man for elements of the DNC to get on board with opposing a totalitarian China.

I support the democratic activists, but I cant shake the fact that they’re obviously pandering to Americans to try and get us further involved. I really hope this isn’t the prelude to something truly awful, either for Hong Kong, the region, or America itself.

This isn’t Russia pushing around a smaller state like the Ukraine, this is honest-to-God superpowers staring each other down and the results could be fucking explosive.

Clem Fandango

Can you hear me?
kiwifarms.net
The crackdown is coming soon. They're going to Tiananmen the fuck out of Hong Kong.
The real question is if any meaningful response will come out of it.
But wouldn't doing that destroy much of the value of having Hong Kong anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure China has no ethical qualms about doing it, and they sure as hell don't care about any backlash. But if they're pragmatists they'd be wise to just wait until 2047 when Hong Kong is scheduled to be absorbed into China proper anyway.

Arctic Fox

Merry Christmas, everyone!
kiwifarms.net
But wouldn't doing that destroy much of the value of having Hong Kong anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure China has no ethical qualms about doing it, and they sure as hell don't care about any backlash. But if they're pragmatists they'd be wise to just wait until 2047 when Hong Kong is scheduled to be absorbed into China proper anyway.
They aren't going to wait three decades to squash dissent. China is a brutal totalitarian regime. This shit won't fly with them much longer.
They'll remove foreign groups and journalists from the city, kill the power, and go on a murder spree. Then clean up and claim it was provoked and down play it hard.

Arkancide Pact

kiwifarms.net
Dock anyway while blaring this, plant a US flag and declare Hong Kong as an oversea territory of USA.
Yeah, this. China is a fucking paper tiger and we should be signalling to the rest of the world that we do not take them seriously.
China is nothing but lies on paper. Their entire economy is fake, and the bubble will pop under stress.

The Chinese are big on saving face. Thus we should deny them that opportunity. Make chairman Pooh eat our shit and thank us for it.

It's time for Nuremberg trials part two: Chinese death camp officials edition. If you thought the Nazis were callous, wait till you see the same evil ethos combined with a lack of needing to pretend to hold Western values.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dock anyway while blaring this, plant a US flag and declare Hong Kong as an oversea territory of USA.
We should buy it. Hell yes. The British were a bunch of fucking pussies for giving it up.

The thing is China is afraid that Hong Kong will outright reject this and I have no doubt that they will. I don't think Hong Kong really wants to be reunited with China.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino