China Box Office Poised to Surpass U.S. as World’s Largest Moviegoing Market Amid Pandemic -

Pickle Dick

NO MALARKEY!
kiwifarms.net
Article (archive)

-Start-

China’s patriotic “My People, My Homeland” has grossed $325 million as of Monday evening local time, earning more money in less than two weeks than the $323 million that Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” has grossed globally in over a month, according to data from Maoyan and Box Office Mojo.

This weekend, the total China box office hit $68 million, once again far surpassing sales in North America, where cinemas earned less than $9.5 million. To date, the Chinese box office has grossed $1.9 billion so far in 2020. The tally puts China now neck-and-neck with the North American market’s year-to-date earnings of $2.08 billion, according to Comscore. (Both markets are down 76% year-on-year.)

Cinema-going is on the rise in China as the pandemic remains under control, with strong local films set to release in the remainder of the year. Meanwhile, U.S. theaters are heading for trouble as Hollywood studio tentpoles drop off the calendar and the coronavirus continues to rage across the states. Given these factors, it now seems inevitable that the Middle Kingdom will soon surpass the U.S. as the world’s largest film market in 2020.

The performance of “My People, My Homeland” demonstrates the extent to which China’s market has recovered in the wake of COVID-19 and remains robust enough to send local tentpoles too jingoistic to entice audiences abroad nonetheless soaring to great heights.

Produced by “Wolf Warrior 2” and “The Wandering Earth” studio Beijing Culture, the film once again led the box office this weekend with sizable sales of $38.2 million, according to figures from consultancy Artisan Gateway. The omnibus title features five shorts from a who’s who of China’s most bankable directors: Ning Hao (“Crazy Alien”), Xu Zheng (“Lost in Russia”), Chen Sicheng (“Detective Chinatown 3”), Yan Fei and Peng Damo (“Hello Mr. Billionaire”), Deng Chao (“Shadow”) and Yu Baimei (“The Breakup Guru”).

Behind it in second place was Enlight Pictures’ animated film “Jiang Ziya: Legend of Deification,” which made $10.2 million this weekend to bring its cume up to $216 million. The Maoyan platform predicts it will go on to earn just $10 million more over the course of its run — a lesser performance than that of last summer’s “Nezha,” the $720 million-grossing animated hit from the same universe that precedes this tale.

In third place was the Gong Li-starring volleyball drama “Leap,” directed by Hong Kong’s Peter Chan, which made $7.6 million in its third weekend in theaters.

Local comedy “Coffee or Tea” came in fourth, with $7.1 million in sales. The Jackie Chan-starring action film “Vanguard” brought up the rear in fifth with a box office of $2.6 million, bringing its cume up to $35.7 million.

-End-

I don't really know what to make of this. I'd like to ask one question though: are there any legitimately good Chinese movies out there? I feel they're generally more overlooked compared to even the stuff India puts out (or maybe I'm just a little out of touch).

FuckedUp

Kick, Punch, It's All In The Mind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly sick of hearing about how China is the big evil. China and its government is shit, but do they have a Jimmy Neutron hypno beam that they used on all our politicians and CEOs to sell out to them? Sure they didn't report their flu, but it's every other government's fault for reacting the way they did. Most politicians are puppets of the UN, if China got nuked, NOTHING WOULD FUCKING CHANGE. All politicians are as culpable as China. "WOW people are losing jobs over my state governor's draconian restrictions over a flu strain. 100% China's fault!!!!!!!!" Just fuck. off.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly sick of hearing about how China is the big evil. China and its government is shit, but do they have a Jimmy Neutron hypno beam that they used on all our politicians and CEOs to sell out to them? Sure they didn't report their flu, but it's every other government's fault for reacting the way they did. Most politicians are puppets of the UN, if China got nuked, NOTHING WOULD FUCKING CHANGE. All politicians are as culpable as China. "WOW people are losing jobs over my state governor's draconian restrictions over a flu strain. 100% China's fault!!!!!!!!" Just fuck. off.

muh_moobs

Lord of mspaint shitposts
kiwifarms.net
Because Shina no have rockdown.

TBH, though, is this even real, or is this just propaganda to justify why we need more pro-PRC propaganda in western media?

Otis Boi

Chunky Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
This isn't really anything new. If anyone has been following the Movie industry in the past decade you would have noticed that most movies are made with china first. That is why there has been so many remakes and retreads with more ACTION AND EXPLOSIONS. They are a huge market for blockbusters because they are much more willing to watch shit tier movies as long as they don't have Black leads or anything that shines China in a bad light.

Syaoran Li

Gay Old-School Rocker and Weeb Mountain Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm wondering how much of this is because of Hollywood's wokeness and creative bankruptcy versus the fact much of the country is under lockdowns of some sort and we basically had a whole year's worth of releases and events cancelled or put on hold

Reactions: The Shadow

Sackity

Yo, buddy. Still alive
kiwifarms.net
I've heard good things about 1980s - 2000s Hong Kong action films, though I myself haven't watched them.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
Are we ever going to do anything at all to punish China for destroying world economies?
Ha, fuck no. Gave up on that flight of fancy as soon as it became apparent that we'd all be fighting against our own governments instead. China unleashed a crappy virus onto the world and not only completely got away with it in the end, but they got almost everyone else to be subjugated to a similar level of authoritarian rule as they have their own populace under.

By the time we finally get fully get over this insanity (that is, if we ever do) the damages to society will be so great and the time from the initial incident will be so long ago that China won't get a drop of repercussions for this.

Beautiful Border

kiwifarms.net
Are we ever going to do anything at all to punish China for destroying world economies?
I still don't understand the logic behind this. Viral pandemics are natural disasters, it doesn't make sense to punish a country because one happened to start inside its borders. It also seems like a bit of a can of worms to open... after all, the "Spanish flu" actually started in Kansas. Does the US owe reparations for that? Or how about the fact that tens of millions of Amerindians were killed by smallpox and influenza after being exposed to it by Europeans? It's a bad precedent to set.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still don't understand the logic behind this.
The logic isn't 'It came from China, they owe us.' The logic, depending on what you believe, is somewhere on a spectrum of, 'China knew about the severity, source and spreadability of the virus months before anyone else, and yet they did nothing to prevent its spread outside their borders. Or, they actually made things worse due to not sharing accurate information, spreading disinformation both through their own networks and their proxies at WHO, buying up supplies from other countries they knew would be necessary, not discouraging travel, and disappearing doctors and journalists who tried to spread the truth outside of China.'

And that's not even getting into the ideas of aggressive malfeasance like that it originated as an outbreak from their lab where they created it, or that they actively encouraged the spread because it would be better for them if the world suffered rather than just them.

No matter what level of it you believe, it therefore makes sense why people would hold China responsible and want some investigating done. Personally, at the bare minimum and even discounting how they treated their own people, they are definitely guilty of lying about their statistics and data and using the WHO's authority to spread the narrative they wanted, rather than the information which could have saved lives. At the very least.

As for their dominance as a movie market, it's just going to lead to more pandering to their financial power. Funnily enough for woketards, they're going to find that the fanboys they despise so much are actually much more moderate than the Chinese government, but if the studios are following the money then things are about to get even more censored to appease the Chinese. Whitey will still be blamed, though.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
I still don't understand the logic behind this. Viral pandemics are natural disasters, it doesn't make sense to punish a country because one happened to start inside its borders. It also seems like a bit of a can of worms to open... after all, the "Spanish flu" actually started in Kansas. Does the US owe reparations for that? Or how about the fact that tens of millions of Amerindians were killed by smallpox and influenza after being exposed to it by Europeans? It's a bad precedent to set.

Because China modified this virus in a laboratory to make it the most transmissible pathogen we've ever seen, and then released it to cripple world economies and make itself the ultimate superpower.

Tags
None