China Box Office Poised to Surpass U.S. as World’s Largest Moviegoing Market Amid Pandemic -

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
While China has their share of shitty movies, they make some great ones as well.
Us KF movie buffs did a Chinese movie night on a Sunday a few weeks ago and there was this one movie called Detective Chinatown 2 which was fucking awesome - well made, well acted, well paced and really funny, they even had a decent Trump parody character which was a lot less insulting to him than any recent American one.

Also, their movies make a Chinese person happy that they're Chinese.
Western ones tend to chastise Westerners for how evil they are, especially the white ones which are still the largest demographic in Europe, North America and Australia.
You're less likely to pay for something that is telling you that you suck.
Also also, while Chinese movies can't criticize their governments, they don't have to worry about stuff like identity politics which in many ways are way more restrictive than anything the CCP does.
For example, just recently, the Oscars introduced new rules that require at least 30% of everyone working on a movie to be non-white in order for that movie to be eligible for getting even a single Oscar. Since Hollywood still cares about those statues, this will ruin a lot of potentially great movies because they will be forced to kick out competent people because of their skin color.

I'm kind of happy that COVID kicked Hollywood's ass.
They will seriously need to reinvent themselves and stop spending so much money on movies.
Otherwise, we might witness a 2nd collapse of the big studio system (1st one was in 1948 and the 2nd system emerged only in 1962).

WolfeTone

Hammer Troon™
kiwifarms.net
I'm of the belief that China knew, Trump knew, all the world leaders knew about it in January, they met in Davos-Klosters and decided how it was going to go down, and Trump had a separate TPP summit with Xi not 2 weeks before it was officially announced in America. There were members of the Trump administration selling masks and PPE to places like Dubai and Bangkok, other members of the Trump administration later intercepting these routs and yanking our equipment back but every time PPE and equipment would hit a port in the US it would get intercepted by the absolute freaks over at border patrol. There were stories of Tom Brady flying the Patriots jet to China to get PPE to distribute it to people for free.
China scanned for fluid in the lungs and deployed antibiotics immediately, we had nurses in trashbags breathing chemicals from the Battelle decontamination system in New York and Arizona nurses twerking in Tik-Tok videos, not giving a damn about their peers.
It's a mess, it's a waste, and we're about to spend the next 4-8 years gouging out our right eye to spite our face.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope Hollywood is getting destroyed by this and the industry-wide switch to online streaming services. No longer do we have to wait 6-8 months for BluRay DVD rips. Now when Hollywood films are uploaded to streaming service immediately or soon after theatrical release, you can pirate it in HD quality the next day.

• Winner
Reactions: Raging Capybara

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't be surprised that like in Hollywood, Chinese films profits are inflated for political/economic reasons.
I do remember stories about a propaganda movie being so heavy handed, that it failed to attract large audiences, so the state issued a "recommendation" to companies that the movie is about such an important cornerstone of Chinese history, that they should make trips with all their employees to see it. And lo and behold, it was a "huge success". You don't need much fantasy to come up with things that would happen to a company that would ignore that "recommendation".
As for their dominance as a movie market, it's just going to lead to more pandering to their financial power. Funnily enough for woketards, they're going to find that the fanboys they despise so much are actually much more moderate than the Chinese government, but if the studios are following the money then things are about to get even more censored to appease the Chinese. Whitey will still be blamed, though.
In the last Star Wars movie skinwalker in SWs rotten husk, there was a scene of two women kissing in the background. One was a formerly unseen BG character, the other had like 3 scenes and I don't think she had any lines to say throughout the entire trilogy. It was two literal nobodies kissing somewhere in the background just to go "It's SWs first gay kiss on screen!" and it was cut in any non-western Market.

We can look forward for more of that in the future. Some token SJW pandering that is utterly irrelevant for the movie and cut out for every version that isn't shown in the US, Europe or Straya.
Add to that some hamfisted CCP-pandering moments that shit on capitalism, glorify China in some way and of course the Chink pandering with Chinese actors portraying flawless characters with impeccable morals, stunning looks and unlimited abilities. You think token SJW characters are bad? Prepare yourselves for a barrage of slant-eyed messiahs in the future. Remake Mulan was the first, many more to come.

Also also, while Chinese movies can't criticize their governments, they don't have to worry about stuff like identity politics which in many ways are way more restrictive than anything the CCP does.
For example, just recently, the Oscars introduced new rules that require at least 30% of everyone working on a movie to be non-white in order for that movie to be eligible for getting even a single Oscar. Since Hollywood still cares about those statues, this will ruin a lot of potentially great movies because they will be forced to kick out competent people because of their skin color.
Sorry to be this blunt, but you are a fool if you think this is even remotely on the same level, let alone identity politics being worse than what the CCP is doing on a daily basis.

So you can't get an Oscar if your fail to meet their stupid, arbitrary quota? You can still make whatever movie you want however you want with whatever content you want if you can secure the funding, it might not win an Oscar, but compared to China, where you end up in a gulag for wrongthink for the rest of your life... yeah. I'll take SJWs crying over a lack of representation over that every day.
That is not to say that SJWs can't cause a shitton of problems with their whining and many have suffered for that shit in the past, but under absolutely no metric does that hold up a candle to what the CCP will do to anyone who goes against their exceedingly narrow field of allowed topics.

You'll have an easier time making a movie about a crazy Tranny murder hobo in the US than you will have making a movie in China that merely suggests that maybe muslim Uighurs are full-fledged citizens with their own culture, too.

Jelly Duvall

I've got red in my ledger
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
China make movie for da great leadah and Successor of mao

Disney knoltowl to great leadah even tho that goes against literally everything Disney wanted

BTW apparently there was a random hospital scene in Iron man 3 featuring fan bingbing?

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I do remember stories about a propaganda movie being so heavy handed, that it failed to attract large audiences, so the state issued a "recommendation" to companies that the movie is about such an important cornerstone of Chinese history, that they should make trips with all their employees to see it. And lo and behold, it was a "huge success". You don't need much fantasy to come up with things that would happen to a company that would ignore that "recommendation".

In the last Star Wars movie skinwalker in SWs rotten husk, there was a scene of two women kissing in the background. One was a formerly unseen BG character, the other had like 3 scenes and I don't think she had any lines to say throughout the entire trilogy. It was two literal nobodies kissing somewhere in the background just to go "It's SWs first gay kiss on screen!" and it was cut in any non-western Market.

We can look forward for more of that in the future. Some token SJW pandering that is utterly irrelevant for the movie and cut out for every version that isn't shown in the US, Europe or Straya.
Add to that some hamfisted CCP-pandering moments that shit on capitalism, glorify China in some way and of course the Chink pandering with Chinese actors portraying flawless characters with impeccable morals, stunning looks and unlimited abilities. You think token SJW characters are bad? Prepare yourselves for a barrage of slant-eyed messiahs in the future. Remake Mulan was the first, many more to come.

Sorry to be this blunt, but you are a fool if you think this is even remotely on the same level, let alone identity politics being worse than what the CCP is doing on a daily basis.

So you can't get an Oscar if your fail to meet their stupid, arbitrary quota? You can still make whatever movie you want however you want with whatever content you want if you can secure the funding, it might not win an Oscar, but compared to China, where you end up in a gulag for wrongthink for the rest of your life... yeah. I'll take SJWs crying over a lack of representation over that every day.
That is not to say that SJWs can't cause a shitton of problems with their whining and many have suffered for that shit in the past, but under absolutely no metric does that hold up a candle to what the CCP will do to anyone who goes against their exceedingly narrow field of allowed topics.

You'll have an easier time making a movie about a crazy Tranny murder hobo in the US than you will have making a movie in China that merely suggests that maybe muslim Uighurs are full-fledged citizens with their own culture, too.
On a phone so I can't format, but:
1. An interesting thing about the film market is that it has a massive divide on how much the cinema gets money from ticket sales vs. how much the studio gets, that only shrinks in favour of the cinemas a couple of weeks after the films comes out.
In the west, because we're under a de-facto monopoly by Disney then is gets an obscene 90% of the profits from ticket sales in the first week. However, this doesn't fly in Winnie the Pooh land, where the optimistic estimate is that the studios get around 50% from ticket sales in the first week.
This means that any report of a "great success" in China doesn't necessarily mean a great profit, and it is mostly a smoke screen to create an illusion of making money. This is why films that supposedly made it big in China (like Warcraft) are dead.
2. Both industries are authoritarian as hell, and you can expect the tranny murder film to not be advertised or shown in any theater. And for yourself to probably not have any work that isn't burger flipping (that comes with every friend of yours distancing himself), how much it is better than a gulag is up to debate. I would say that at least Chinese media allows for actual beauty and greater escapism compared to modern western films that are required to be political, feature ugly actors and stick to a decades old screen writing formulas.

Last edited:

feral cat #6385

Meow
kiwifarms.net
Good. I'm not generally in favor of outsourcing but I would love to see all Hollywood jobs outsourced to China. Let them poison China with their subversive, soulless trash.

Clint Westwood

I feel kinda fly standin' next to you.
kiwifarms.net
Netflix is shilling TV shows from oriental Asia right now.

Found this out even though I don’t own Netflix.

Tags
None