China Floodwatch 2020 - Wuhan, Hubei is sinking and I dunno how to swim.

Is the Three Gorges Dam kill?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
Dams and the reservoirs they create are just another way humankind goes about fucking things up. Beavers build dams but they build them in the right places and create habitats for themselves and other animals. They manage what they create and they play a part in creating the diversity nature wants and it is all sustainable.
Humans, on the other hand, build stuff that breaks nature and went it breaks we end up doing even more damage , and our contribution to diversity, on this planet, is bullshit like men in dresses.
People are as natural as the other things. We're just smarter.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Dams and the reservoirs they create are just another way humankind goes about fucking things up. Beavers build dams but they build them in the right places and create habitats for themselves and other animals. They manage what they create and they play a part in creating the diversity nature wants and it is all sustainable.
Humans, on the other hand, build stuff that breaks nature and went it breaks we end up doing even more damage , and our contribution to diversity, on this planet, is bullshit like men in dresses.
You are dumb as fuck. Beaver dams? That's what you're going to go with? Beaver dams can cause flooding, excessive erosion of river banks, and destroy large numbers of trees in a short time.

All members of nature can destroy nature. Humans are much smarter then most animals and as a result are better at manipulating the environment around them, for both benefit and detriment.

Mr. Skeltal

Calcium fortified at your own risk
kiwifarms.net
I am critical of the human race. I don't hate the human race, or mistrust every human, but i do hate some humans. Bog trotting trolls are right up there, at the top.

Yes; we are as natural as other animals. Humans are very capable of doing things, for example, but alot of humans are very far from smart. Your dumb as fuck reply, to my post, is a perfect example.
Natural isn't always good. To deride humanity's mastery of our environment is shortsighted. Assuming someone that disagrees with you is a dunce is just ignorant.

Humans have been building dams since at least 3000BC. Dams can be boon or bane depending on the geological and engineering acumen of the designers and the quality of materials and methods used. Dams like San Fancisquito and Vajont failed whereas Pathfinder and Hoover survive and thrive due to proper surveying and construction practices.

Three Gorges is an ill conceived structure fulfilling a propaganda role first and foremost. Like others have said in this thread, Three Gorges is the symbol for a modern, industrialized China. The immense reservoir of both water and electricity held by the dam are both secondary boons to the dam's main purpose as a propaganda machine. This isn't to say that Three Gorges isn't an engineering marvel, it quite frankly is, but its intended function is less for flood control and power generation than it is for "face" generation.

The CCP and Jiang Public are learning that Three Gorges has its share of banes, like all dams do. The Yangtze is a capricious river with a very high sediment load and Three Gorges can scarcely keep up with her fury when it truly matters. The immense amount of impounded water causes flooding in upland areas that are novel to the residents who live there, resulting in displacement and destruction. The dam's role as propaganda machine facilitated the destruction of other functional dams to protect the one that matters to the CCP.

We'll see if the CCP was sold a bill of goods during Three Gorges' construction or if it got genuine materials and expertise. If it fails, it will do so spectacularly. If it holds then it will have pushed off the inevitable for now. Either way, may God have mercy on the innocents living in the path of danger.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Natural isn't always good. To deride humanity's mastery of our environment is shortsighted. Assuming someone that disagrees with you is a dunce is just ignorant.

Humans have been building dams since at least 3000BC. Dams can be boon or bane depending on the geological and engineering acumen of the designers and the quality of materials and methods used. Dams like San Fancisquito and Vajont failed whereas Pathfinder and Hoover survive and thrive due to proper surveying and construction practices.

Three Gorges is an ill conceived structure fulfilling a propaganda role first and foremost. Like others have said in this thread, Three Gorges is the symbol for a modern, industrialized China. The immense reservoir of both water and electricity held by the dam are both secondary boons to the dam's main purpose as a propaganda machine. This isn't to say that Three Gorges isn't an engineering marvel, it quite frankly is, but its intended function is less for flood control and power generation than it is for "face" generation.

The CCP and Jiang Public are learning that Three Gorges has its share of banes, like all dams do. The Yangtze is a capricious river with a very high sediment load and Three Gorges can scarcely keep up with her fury when it truly matters. The immense amount of impounded water causes flooding in upland areas that are novel to the residents who live there, resulting in displacement and destruction. The dam's role as propaganda machine facilitated the destruction of other functional dams to protect the one that matters to the CCP.

We'll see if the CCP was sold a bill of goods during Three Gorges' construction or if it got genuine materials and expertise. If it fails, it will do so spectacularly. If it holds then it will have pushed off the inevitable for now. Either way, may God have mercy on the innocents living in the path of danger.
I saw a piece by a Chinese Engineer that summed up the Three Gorges Dam perfectly. It was designed to serve too many masters. It's designed for flood control, water storage, navigation, and massive power generation. Each of these require a different purpose built dam and ideally different locations. Some of them are at express cross purposes to one another. You can't serve all these masters with one massive Frankenstein project. And trying to do so is why it causes more problems then it solves. A great example of a similarly idiotic (Communist) Project is the North Korean West Sea Barrage, which is believed to have helped vastly worsen a few of their famines.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
Bear in mind, China's super ingenious new social policies are what led directly to some 40 million people starving to death around 1960. So this is hardly the first time some idiot's bright idea has involved massive death tolls and misery among the Chinese people. Also important to bear in mind, after their government basically murdered 40 million of them, the citizens still didn't rise up. So anyone thinking some 20 million people being drowned in the wake of that dam bursting is going to take down their government, well. I have bad news for you.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Bear in mind, China's super ingenious new social policies are what led directly to some 40 million people starving to death around 1960. So this is hardly the first time some idiot's bright idea has involved massive death tolls and misery among the Chinese people. Also important to bear in mind, after their government basically murdered 40 million of them, the citizens still didn't rise up. So anyone thinking some 20 million people being drowned in the wake of that dam bursting is going to take down their government, well. I have bad news for you.
Not sure anyone thinks the Chinese are going to rise up(except Pompeo maybe).

"The nail that stands tall gets hammered down"

Confucianism did a very good job in creating a collectivist culture. And tbf, it hasnt failed the Chinese totally yet.

Homo Demens

Eclipse 4 2020
kiwifarms.net
please be bait
But wait!

With the amount of trash China produces, beavers wouldn't have a problem building a dam better than 3GD. Just imagine knock off pachinko machines, banged up commie blocks, replica louie bags, woks, other bullshit stacked and packed to keep Flood-chan away!

It would become the world's biggest most greatest trashcan dam you've ever seen! Beavers are truly divine intelligence that will save the Chinese pypole!

Second Hand Syringe

My blood is poison
kiwifarms.net
The Yangtze is a capricious river with a very high sediment load
Before this event I hadn't given much thought to the natural downstream movement of sediment, but lately I've been wondering what they do to alleviate the gradual build up at the dam. Do they dredge the excess sediments during the dry season and haul it away? Or does it just pile up against the face of the dam and slowly fill the reservoir?

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be fair to the guys actually in there at the moment working the dam, theyve done as best they can with what they have. They’ll have been told to save the dam no matter what, then the showcase cities like Wuhan, at the expense of places like anhui. They’ve managed to avoid flooding Wuhan so far. Really I’d save the farmland over a city though.
The problems as I see it are:
They’re running the floodgates at crazy capacity constantly. That’s going to weaken the structure around them. Yes they can go higher in theory but constantly having that flow plus silt and muck has to cause damage. Plus too high and downstream is fu
They’re working on a knife edge - the level In the reservoir is going down, but they've got almost no capacity now to hold back a few more serious flood peaks Because they have to vent water and there’s nowhere to put it. Remember that dam is at 145 at the start of the rainy season to have that empty capacity. They either let the dam rise or they vent the water and flood downstream even more.
What we dont know, but I bet they do, is how far they can push it for each flood peak. They’re betting on being able to thread the needle every time.
There’s also the issue of what happens at the end of the year. Then they usually put the level up to 175 for efficient power generation but at that point they aren't venting water out like crazy so even with the extra water the forces are different. But what if the damage is sufficient that that is too much pressure?
Are the turbines still running? How do they stop junk and silt going in?
I think it’s going to take a lot to actually break it (but never say never, it is 2020) but I do think the end of the year is going to see crop failure, Massive damage to flooding and them needing to do serious repairs on this thing. I feel pretty sorry for whoever is working there and all the poor sods downstream.
Kind of fascinating watching all this pan out and I wish I’d visited it before now, it’s an incredible structure, albeit in a ‘folly/hubris’ kind of way.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
I dont think the dam will fail if they keep the level low. If they think its starting to go then run the gates wide open and sooner or later the levels front and back will equalize and it will stop being a dam and more of a decoration.

I think the bigger issue is really going to be they fucked up all their farm land to save the dam. Up stream is flooded to fuck. Down stream is flooded to fuck+polluted. China isn't going to be able to export food to their friends Best Korea and they will have problems feeding their own.
If Trump gets back in he is going to have them over a barrel. If their county is starving and you have tons of food then thats some good leverage in trade talks.
Biden will White Knight and send them all our food in exchange for another no-show job for Hunter.

Blasterisk

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dont think the dam will fail if they keep the level low. If they think its starting to go then run the gates wide open and sooner or later the levels front and back will equalize and it will stop being a dam and more of a decoration.

I think the bigger issue is really going to be they fucked up all their farm land to save the dam. Up stream is flooded to fuck. Down stream is flooded to fuck+polluted. China isn't going to be able to export food to their friends Best Korea and they will have problems feeding their own.
If Trump gets back in he is going to have them over a barrel. If their county is starving and you have tons of food then thats some good leverage in trade talks.
Biden will White Knight and send them all our food in exchange for another no-show job for Hunter.
That dam isn't ever going to equalize without failing all together. If it did, everything downstream dies. The bloody thing is 600 feet tall - and that's then 600 feet of flood water on the wrong side of history the river. Wuhan would get hit with a 2-300 foot tsunami of matchsticks that the Yangtze turned every village upstream into.

Also, with silt buildup, even if it "just" drained the reservoir, I'm pretty sure the silt is way, way higher than the river downstream.

muh_moobs

Lord of mspaint shitposts
kiwifarms.net
The Floyd protests are a little messier, since the circumstances preceding them made rioting something that was entirely possible (some of us, self included, had been mentioning it in the COVID thread as far back as April), but I don't think the exact way things went down was predictable at all. Rioting, sure, but the statues getting taken down, the TV shows getting censored, every corporation on the planet seemingly pledging their support? Not even kinda how I would've expected the lockdown rioting to turn out. I'd say it's the closest of the three.
I'm confident all of that stuff was ready to go and just waiting for an appropriate catalyst event. Regardless of the 'rona, as soon as some black person was killed in questionable enough circumstances the key to the engine would have been turned.

The media tried and failed with Ahmed Arbry. Private citizens "lynching" another private citizen wasn't enough to build a narrative on.

The media tried and failed with Breonna Taylor. The circumstances were too murky, and with no visuals to whip up people's emotions, the outrage wasn't big enough.

Then it happened. A state actor killed a black person in front of a camera. And now, "AMERICA BAD, TRUMP BAD!" has dominated every discussion and every news cycle for months.

And now, God has decided that China must pay for their actions.

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
I'm confident all of that stuff was ready to go and just waiting for an appropriate catalyst event. Regardless of the 'rona, as soon as some black person was killed in questionable enough circumstances the key to the engine would have been turned.

The media tried and failed with Ahmed Arbry. Private citizens "lynching" another private citizen wasn't enough to build a narrative on.

The media tried and failed with Breonna Taylor. The circumstances were too murky, and with no visuals to whip up people's emotions, the outrage wasn't big enough.

Then it happened. A state actor killed a black person in front of a camera. And now, "AMERICA BAD, TRUMP BAD!" has dominated every discussion and every news cycle for months.

And now, God has decided that China must pay for their actions.
Seems to me that everyone worldwide is being held to some sort of account recently, righteous or not. But at this point I'm not worried so much about the Almighty, as I am about Murphy.

There's always been a jester on every court, and I have the feeling that the Throne has one too.

it seems to me that this dam has reached near where it already is multiple times in the past - is it normal for a flood control dam to run that close to the limit so often?

or in other words why didn't they build it with three thousand and one hulls

Jimmy Durante's Ballsack

Live a little
kiwifarms.net
it seems to me that this dam has reached near where it already is multiple times in the past - is it normal for a flood control dam to run that close to the limit so often?
The abnormal part is that they've had to destroy other pieces of flood prevention infrastructure and that everything upstream and downstream is also still flooding.

But the dam is working guys. Big success. Capitalism is so embarrassed right now. (the project was at one time billed as a success of Communism over Capitalism because only Communism could allow for such a large project)

The-Patriarchy

Objectivity is Racist
kiwifarms.net
I would worry that if the Dam situation has a big impact on China's economy, agriculture, and industrial capacity, that it would accelerate tensions- encouraging them to opt for war with the US *now* rather than later before the economic side effects cripple them and remove war (in some form) as an option.

It may or may not be a shooting war, it could just be a ramp up in intensity of the low level economic warfare they've been teasing us with for years now- but if something is going to heat up, they'll do it before the Dam can cripple them and cut off that option.

Tags
None