China Floodwatch 2020 - Wuhan, Hubei is sinking and I dunno how to swim.

Is the Three Gorges Dam kill?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Return of the Freaker

The ass was THIS fat
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1487922

I'm still skpetical 3DG will break. But if this cyclone reachs its peaks, we're gonna see some serious shit.
Update on now Tropical Storm Sinlaku:
wp0420.gif

Looks like it'll move through northern Vietnam. So there could be more rain in China from it. Meanwhile, another tropical depression has developed and is currently forecast to hit Shanghai as a tropical storm:
wp0320.gif

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
it seems to me that this dam has reached near where it already is multiple times in the past - is it normal for a flood control dam to run that close to the limit so often?

or in other words why didn't they build it with three thousand and one hulls
The previous "limits" are seen in the winter and spring, where the water level at the dam is much higher, I believe 195m, but at this time the flow of the water is slow and consistent. The issue here is that the water flowing in is traveling at a much faster rate, and thus putting far more pressure on the dam. The dam can sustain high pressure or high height, not both.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
The previous "limits" are seen in the winter and spring, where the water level at the dam is much higher, I believe 195m, but at this time the flow of the water is slow and consistent. The issue here is that the water flowing in is traveling at a much faster rate, and thus putting far more pressure on the dam. The dam can sustain high pressure or high height, not both.
As I understand it, the water's kept at a higher level in the dry months to maximize power output. But, as you say, there's little risk during those times, since they usually get 20-40 mm or so of rain a month during those months, which is pretty easily managed.

Comparatively speaking, there have been periods of a few hours this summer where places in China got more rain than my town gets in an entire year. Granted, I live in the desert, but 20 cm in a few hours is still quite a bit.

teriyakiburns

Nothing like waiting till the last minute, huh?
kiwifarms.net
As I understand it, the water's kept at a higher level in the dry months to maximize power output. But, as you say, there's little risk during those times, since they usually get 20-40 mm or so of rain a month during those months, which is pretty easily managed.

Comparatively speaking, there have been periods of a few hours this summer where places in China got more rain than my town gets in an entire year. Granted, I live in the desert, but 20 cm in a few hours is still quite a bit.
I live in a comparatively wet part of the UK and even here, 20cm in a few hours is ridiculous. Last time we had anything like that, one of the roads on my commute into the city was washed away, and my garage flooded because the sewer backed up.

/Our Laddie/

(Race) war, famine, plague, waiting on the floods
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck is going on in this video? It looks super fake like the JJ star trek end credits from inside a car.

People can meme all day about how America is totally done for and will balkanize (even though nobody can explain what areas would split away, or how this wouldn't be resolved with federal force or take care of itself within a week), but I honestly don't know if China will be around as a singular entity by the end of the decade.
Doesn't China historically fragment and re-unify over and over and over?

Kiwis- what coverage is this china flood/3GD thing getting where you are? and does anyone you know seem aware?
So how is media so completely cucked? What incentives/disincentives are there that would prevent an opportunistic bottom feeder journalist from writing about massive, destructive flooding? Are people really that fixated on the Citrus in Chief and Jim Crow 2.0, or does Bugmenistan really have a cheap-alloy grip on the ol' media?

*I am from both sides of this. I've taken to drowning myself with whisky as revenge for what my ancestors did to my ancestors.
I also think you meant "whiskey" since you're talking about your mick heritage.

See above comment about mick-mixed blood.

They would have to evacuate tens of millions of people out of the path of the dam; maybe even one hundred million+. It's almost impossible to comprehend what that would look like. People would be climbing on top of each other, highways would be jammed solid for miles.
It would look like this:
traffic-jam-before-Chinese-new-year.jpg

Finally finished the thread.

I have some questions:
1. How do the "independent" sources of flow and water level work? Don't you still need to physically measure it and would thus be subject to vanning?
2. Did anyone archive the livestream video that supposedly featured a "chunk" of the dam blowing off one of the spillways and some sort of periodic cavitation?
3. Don't reservoirs build up silt near the inlets rather than the dams because the water slows down when it gets to a larger body? Could the whole reservoir be getting smaller as a result of this season?
4. Is there video of the other dams blowing? That would be cool to see.

Anyway, this whole thread is quite the :story:. Thanks to the autists and archivists. :drink:

Last edited:

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't China historically fragment and re-unify over and over and over?
"The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been." The traditional Chinese historical cycle is one of unification and collapse, specifically in alternating long and short dynasties. The Qing ruled China for ~275 years, the CCP for ~75, so if historical patterns hold true they're reaching the end of their rope.

So how is media so completely cucked? What incentives/disincentives are there that would prevent an opportunistic bottom feeder journalist from writing about massive, destructive flooding? Are people really that fixated on the Citrus in Chief and Jim Crow 2.0, or does Bugmenistan really have a cheap-alloy grip on the ol' media?
Probably a combination of factors: opacity, fellow travelers, focus on the riots, 'rona, and upcoming election- even if you care, it's hard to get worked up about yet another humanitarian disaster in Bat Soup Land simply because they seem to be having them every other week at this point.

/Our Laddie/

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been." The traditional Chinese historical cycle is one of unification and collapse, specifically in alternating long and short dynasties. The Qing ruled China for ~275 years, the CCP for ~75, so if historical patterns hold true they're reaching the end of their rope.
Usually the Republic of China is counted as the dynasty after the Qing fell (thanks to a revolution that started in Wuhan lol) and that only lasted about 40 years before they got evicted to Taiwan. So CCP might be around for a very long time by that theory.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Usually the Republic of China is counted as the dynasty after the Qing fell (thanks to a revolution that started in Wuhan lol) and that only lasted about 40 years before they got evicted to Taiwan. So CCP might be around for a very long time by that theory.
You could also say it all counts as one long interregnum. The chinese dont normally go without some dynastic lineage so the evil nature spirits causing this regular disaster might be counting everything from the fall of Qing as one big doom clock rolled together.

/Our Laddie/

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Roybertitos

Still a man of action
kiwifarms.net
This whole situation reminds me of World War Z (the book not the awful movie, which was made awful cause of Chinese censorship), where the 3GD did burst and fucked up everything on top of the zombie plague, leading to a Chinese Civil War. It goes to show that this dam has had issues for a long ass time if a fucking fictional novel about a zombie apocalypse from 2006 was pointing that shit out.

If the dam does burst, hopefully this ends the same way as it did in the book. With democratic rebels in a nuclear sub firing a nuke on the CCP hiding in their bunker.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
This whole situation reminds me of World War Z (the book not the awful movie, which was made awful cause of Chinese censorship), where the 3GD did burst and fucked up everything on top of the zombie plague, leading to a Chinese Civil War. It goes to show that this dam has had issues for a long ass time if a fucking fictional novel about a zombie apocalypse from 2006 was pointing that shit out.

If the dam does burst, hopefully this ends the same way as it did in the book. With democratic rebels in a nuclear sub firing a nuke on the CCP hiding in their bunker.
There were concerns about the dam before they even started building it. Even in China. I think it "only" passed with like 2/3 of the vote in their Congress, which sounds silly to say unless you consider that most infrastructure projects there pass with 90+% of the vote.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It’d be unlikely a typhoon would hit so far inland - very very few manage to reach inland and most go up the coast, just like Atlantic hurricanes start off heading west then veer north. It’s extremely unusual for one to reach any real distance inland.

the rain falling on the upper basin Is a different monsoon based system.

It does just look like the tgd inflow is one of the data lines from chongqing multiplied by something

pwnest injun

An Honest Man is Always in Trouble
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a fascinating simulation that has been kicking around, showing what will happen in a dam collapse of three gorges. It’s pretty horrifying.
This doesn't even account for the fact that a lot of those downstream areas are already flooded by the current output. So all of the water added by the dam collapse would be on top of what's already got them well fucked up.

benutz

kiwifarms.net
This is an interesting infographic -

(it uses some kind of browser specific html canvas rendering for the graphics, so it won't render properly if you have that blocked as a security measure in your browser - use another browser if it doesn't work properly. This is why it doesn't archive properly as well - except for text - https://archive.vn/bhDGr)

The Yangtze River is the longest river in Asia and China’s most important waterway, with some 175 cities located near its banks. As well as being home to a number of multinational companies, the prosperous Yangtze River Basin is a powerhouse of industrial output, generating nearly half of the country’s GDP.

On July 2, the Yangtze River experienced its first flood peak of the year. The Changjiang Water Resources Commission reported the water level had reached 146.97 metres with peak inflows of 53,000 cubic metres per second, the same rate as the 1998 floods.

Intense rain and severe flooding has been battering China since early June but, according to the China Meteorological Administration, the country has experienced a 20 per cent increase in heavy rainfall since 1961. Currently, the water level of 433 rivers is above the flood control line, with 33 of them reaching record highs.

Heavy rains have lashed 27 of the country’s 31 provinces, affecting more than 37 million people and leaving 141 dead or missing, the Ministry of Emergency Management said on Monday. Economic losses are estimated at 86 billion yuan (US$12.3 billion) so far.

Video from the article:

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net

so apparently this was the one I was remembering. The site is full of ads, but tldr over a week of traffic and people were washing themselves outside their trucks. Also there were food vendors. So maybe that's how the evacuees will eat. A bunch of food vendors will materialize with "meat" and "eggs" and "rice" cooked in "oil".
Someone had saved the article about China's traffics jams on archive.md. http://archive.vn/HpMKg

Tags
None