China Floodwatch 2020 - Wuhan, Hubei is sinking and I dunno how to swim.

Is the Three Gorges Dam kill?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Usually the Republic of China is counted as the dynasty after the Qing fell (thanks to a revolution that started in Wuhan lol) and that only lasted about 40 years before they got evicted to Taiwan. So CCP might be around for a very long time by that theory.
If we're counting the post-Qing regimes as part of the dynastic cycle, I think the Republic of China era would be more of a "warring states" interregnum since the mainland was pretty much heavily divided from the start and the warlords were all more or less their own de facto regimes.

Really, if the Qing is a long dynasty, then the era from 1911-1949 would be more in line with the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" era between the Han and Jin Dynasties and the CCP could be seen as a "short dynasty" depending on how the 2020's plays out.

spiritofamermaid

2 Commission Spots Left
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why does China frequently break apart and then come back together? Is it like the EU where they are trying to federalize an area that has a long history of fighting against each other, or would it not fall apart if the area wasn't so big?

I know it's not related to the floods exactly but hopefully this is still an ok place to ask.

Also, is the inherent corruption an unfortunate side effect from a collectivist culture, or was it non-existent before Mao and the horrible effects he caused that are still seen today?

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why does China frequently break apart and then come back together? Is it like the EU where they are trying to federalize an area that has a long history of fighting against each other, or would it not fall apart if the area wasn't so big?

I know it's not related to the floods exactly but hopefully this is still an ok place to ask.

Also, is the inherent corruption an unfortunate side effect from a collectivist culture, or was it non-existent before Mao and the horrible effects he caused that are still seen today?
The horrible corruption has always been there. It was in part a cause of Mao and the Marxists to rise in the first place.

PozzedByCoronachan

Oikophobiaphobic
kiwifarms.net
Probably a mix of both, the chinese have a saying: "The mountains are tall and the emperor is far away". Plus, even now the Chinese care a lot about where you're from and have strong stereotypes attached to that, and so there's obviously a sense of regional identity perhaps stronger than what's seen in America. Laowhy made an excellent video on the topic if you're curious.

Return of the Freaker

The ass was THIS fat
kiwifarms.net

Nah, corruption has always been an issue in China. You'd at the very least have all kinds of intrigue between royal family members, wives and concubines, palace eunuchs, etc...

not william stenchever

We were already hungry when they created us
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, corruption has always been an issue in China. You'd at the very least have all kinds of intrigue between royal family members, wives and concubines, palace eunuchs, etc...
Never trust a eunuch. If a man will chop his balls off for power the boy ain't right.

Tealeaf

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Geography, geography, geography. The gist of what makes China China is the land it sits on. I'd say the major features of it is that it has precious little arable land, tons of mountains and a narrow coastal area that's hemmed in by distant archipelagos typically outside Chinese control.

Much of what they can farm sits on the basins of major rivers such as the Yangtze, which has a habit of catastrophic periods of flooding. This is essentially a civilisation reset button that China is fighting against as we speak. When the river fucks up your breadbasket, the people go hungry, and they start fighting for scraps.

Should the central government's back get broken, warlord states pick up the pieces and with relatively defensible regions, duke it out for a while. But because most of these regions comprise of shitty land and are economically weak, the eventual new dynasty can consolidate them with a superior army raised from the places with good land. The cycle begins anew.

Compare to Europe, which has many major rivers that flood predictably, tons of good farmland all over the continent, has only a few big mountain ranges typically really deep inland and massive amounts of unrestricted access to the ocean. This geography is very good for stable societies and resists consolidation by major military powers. With the notable exceptions of Rome and Russia, but even they could not claim supremacy over all of Europe.

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
Never trust a eunuch. If a man will chop his balls off for power the boy ain't right.
Chinese eunuchs in the Imperial court had both balls and penis removed.

Pu Yi, the last emperor of China, kicked all 3000 eunuchs out of the Forbidden City after they burned down storerooms to disguise the immense level of thieving they'd been up to over the years. There's a scene in The Last Emperor (1987 film) which has them all leaving clutching little jars in their hands. Jars containing all the pieces they had removed to gain entry into the service. Apparently it was their right to be buried 'whole men'. Great film anyway, really worth a watch right now given all the China stuff going on.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They didn't always have a choice; many of them were chopped as boys. Of course, that's likely to produce lifelong resentment, which has its own set of problems; I understand that they were very good at harboring grudges and there was plenty of infighting among the eunuchs with disastrous consequences.

Chinese eunuchs in the Imperial court had both balls and penis removed.

Pu Yi, the last emperor of China, kicked all 3000 eunuchs out of the Forbidden City after they burned down storerooms to disguise the immense level of thieving they'd been up to over the years. There's a scene in The Last Emperor (1987 film) which has them all leaving clutching little jars in their hands. Jars containing all the pieces they had removed to gain entry into the service. Apparently it was their right to be buried 'whole men'. Great film anyway, really worth a watch right now given all the China stuff going on.
The creepy part? Given that many of them were chopped as boys, they were carrying around severed little boy penises and testicles. Apparently there was some folk belief that if they were buried with them, they'd be whole in the afterlife. I remember there was a documentary made a while back with the last surviving eunuch who was made a eunuch as a boy and lost his jar at some point when his house burned down.

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
They didn't always have a choice; many of them were chopped as boys. Of course, that's likely to produce lifelong resentment, which has its own set of problems; I understand that they were very good at harboring grudges and there was plenty of infighting among the eunuchs with disastrous consequences.

The creepy part? Given that many of them were chopped as boys, they were carrying around severed little boy penises and testicles. Apparently there was some folk belief that if they were buried with them, they'd be whole in the afterlife. I remember there was a documentary made a while back with the last surviving eunuch who was made a eunuch as a boy and lost his jar at some point when his house burned down.
Way back in ancient China, castration (both dick and balls) was one of what were known as The Five Punishments. Apparently men who were punished witth castration were often then sentenced to work in the Forbidden City. No man was allowed in unless he was castrated, barring the Emperor himself.

The other four punishments, if anyone cares, were face tattooing, nose removal, foot removal and death (by a variety of disgusting, scary methods, the most famous of which is vivesection (death by one thousand cuts).

These punishments were stopped fairly early on though, with the first few centuries of the first millenium and replaced with less spectacularly unpleasant, but still unpleasant punishments. I heard much later, men would sometimes volunteer for castration willingly to get a place in the Imperial Palace, where they could be assured a good life in terms of sttaying fed and could often have political influence of various kinds over the Emperor and court.

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
hahaha no

The army is a honest to god joke.

" His mother, Yang Bin, asked before he deployed if the work would be dangerous. “China is so powerful, who can bully us Chinese people?” her son replied, she recalled as she sat on a threadbare sofa in her rundown concrete home. “So our minds were set at ease.” "

He was killed by africans and real war footage on chinese TV upset them.

The PLA exist to serve the party, and you cant have too many good effective generals or soliders least they try to rise to power.

The armys real mission is subjecting their own people.
Lmao, everyone wants to be America until it's time to do American stuff.

/Our Laddie/

(Race) war, famine, plague, waiting on the floods
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So TS Sinlaku is supposed to dissipate over northern Laos, which still may provide some rain to China. However, TS Hagupit is now forecast to go further inland west of Shanghai. Should be interesting for the lower reaches of the Yangtze:
View attachment 1491318
20200802-forecast-ecmwf-0808.PNG

This is the forecast for next weekend. src: Windy.tv The medium term forecast is pretty interesting to watch develop. It looks like they may have all week to drain as much as they can (continuing to moisten the downstream area, I guess).

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
Vivisection is when you cut an animal wide open down the centerline and either pull all the organs out of the hole or pull all the skin back so the entire inside of the torso is outside.
It's a general term for being killed or tortured by being cut open. It's widely used as a synonym for live animal experimentation too. The Chinese had a method if killing where they sliced bits of flesh off you over a period of days until you died.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
I think it was Gore Vidal's Julian the Apostate that portrayed eunuchs as extremely lecherous and all the worse for being unable to achieve satisfaction. I am sure I have encountered the idea somewhere else too, maybe in Plutarch's moralia somewhere. I wonder if there was any truth to that?

Tags
None