Chinese and Korean fantasy games -

Crichax

The Chippo Man
kiwifarms.net
So, I feel like talking about some games that take place in Chinese (or Korean) fantasy settings. I haven't finished most of these, but I'd like to discuss them.

Romance of the Forgotten Kingdom is a 10-hour single-player JRPG demo for a DOS Korean MMO that no one knows about. Seriously, I don't know whether the MMO was cancelled, or if it eventually became available. You can download the English-patched version here. Manual here. This game is honestly quite interesting for a JRPG. It takes place in a Korean fantasy setting, which is a setting I haven't seen in many single-player games, and has classes themed around Daoism and Korean shamanism.

The Legend of Sword and Fairy is also an interesting specimen. It's a full-on DOS JRPG made in China, with a Chinese fantasy setting. Link to both English translation and fan-made Windows version.

TLoSaF actually spawned a rather large series, but the only other game that has an English translation is main game 6.

Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament (another JRPG that takes place in a Chinese setting) is solid from what I've played of it so far, but it has a terrible DRM system that prevents saving offline.

I will update this OP when I play other Chinese and Korean fantasy games.

So, have any Kiwis had any experiences with these types of games?

Reactions: XYZpdq

Kiwi Jeff

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
a dos-based mmo sounds like the worst thing imaginable. like thousands of dial-up modems screaming in pain as horny degenerates send each other the '90s equivalent of "owo what's this :3"
You say that, but Neverwinter Nights was a pretty big hit at the time.
Obviously this video is an offline version because you can't play this on aol anymore.

• Winner
Reactions: c-no and Crichax

REGENDarySumanai

Man of excellent taste
kiwifarms.net
I'm still waiting for Lost Soul Aside to get released. There's also a shitton of Chinese and Korean mobages such as Honkai Impact 3.

• Winner
Reactions: Crichax

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
I own Xuan Yuan Sword and Sword and Fairy 6 on PS4. Xuan Yuan Sword was pretty decent. Translation is super wonky and it's not the most technically sound game, but the story was pretty cool and the soundtrack is really good.

Sword and Fairy 6 on the other hand is a total mess. There's a good game in there, but it's buggy as hell, and the frame rate is absolutely shambolic. I've surprised my PS4 doesn't burst into flames trying to run it. The translation is actually pretty decent this time, though the font can be hard to see and sometimes goes off screen too fast.

There's also Legend of Wukong for Sega Genesis. Was an old Taiwanese made RPG that someone bought the rights to and translated to English for a physical release. Kind of middle of the road and obviously Chinese made. Lots of reused assets, high encounter rate, spells that obviously aren't dealing the amount of damage that comes up on screen.

• Winner
Reactions: Crichax

Crichax

The Chippo Man
kiwifarms.net
There isn't enough TF/TG in them for you, I'd have thought.
Well, imagine my shock!

I own Xuan Yuan Sword and Sword and Fairy 6 on PS4. Xuan Yuan Sword was pretty decent. Translation is super wonky and it's not the most technically sound game, but the story was pretty cool and the soundtrack is really good.

Sword and Fairy 6 on the other hand is a total mess. There's a good game in there, but it's buggy as hell, and the frame rate is absolutely shambolic. I've surprised my PS4 doesn't burst into flames trying to run it. The translation is actually pretty decent this time, though the font can be hard to see and sometimes goes off screen too fast.

There's also Legend of Wukong for Sega Genesis. Was an old Taiwanese made RPG that someone bought the rights to and translated to English for a physical release. Kind of middle of the road and obviously Chinese made. Lots of reused assets, high encounter rate, spells that obviously aren't dealing the amount of damage that comes up on screen.
Yeah, pretty much all newer Chinese single-player RPGs (that aren't Scroll of Taiwu) are terribly optimized.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino