Chris and the supernatural

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillRiley

Good GOD, my emotions!
kiwifarms.net
I don't get it either. He acts like God is being unfair, even though Chris thinks himself to be breaking God's rules and He's, you know, God.

Chunky's concept of God is closely linked with his dreams. I don't know the origin of Chris's bizzaro lesbian reincarnation obsession, but I'd wager it's at least dream related.

Hylian Heroine

It's a secret to everybody.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, it would not be so bad if Chris actually did know his religion.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know about the basic "Love thy neighbor".

Something interesting I've noticed is that he does seem to (whether knowingly or not) agree with the Bible in regards to rape.

According to the CWCki
(http://www.sonichu.com/cwcki/Chris_and_sex#Rape):
When PandaHalo told him she was raped by Clyde, he reacted nonchalantly. He even thought it would be appropriate for Panda to move in with her rapist, whom he called a "good man" for regretting the rape and for being willing to take care of the ensuing child. Later on, long after the PandaHalo saga was over, he would wish her and her rapist a happy marriage.

Now, according to the Bible (via https://www.biblegateway.com):
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 New English Translation (NET Bible)
28 Suppose a man comes across a virgin who is not engaged and overpowers and rapes her and they are discovered. 29 The man who has raped her must pay her father fifty shekels of silver and she must become his wife because he has violated her; he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

Of course there are many different translations of the Bible. From what I've seen, all of the English translations of that verse are the same in regards to: Virgin gets raped>The crime is brought to light>Rapist pays her father>She has to marry him (and he can't divorce her). The exact wording may vary between the translations, but the meaning seems to remains the same.

Religion can be a touchy subject. I've noticed that most people here in the forums seem to have thick skins, but before anyone possibly gets carried away, I am not religion bashing, I'm merely quoting what is written in what is considered the holy book of the Christian faith.

Just like any other religion, there are teachings that guide it's followers to be great people. As a contrast, there are also teachings that no sane person would follow. If you ask my opinion, the aforementioned verse falls in line with the latter statement.

RequiredName

Why are there penguins all over base?
kiwifarms.net
Say what you will about the existence of an omnipotent deity, with the level of ego-centrism it takes to claim superiority over such a metaphorical construct, it's surprising that Christian didn't prove himself an amazing rapper and win that contest.

I miss the ghost talk from page one.

AnOminous

what is yet to come
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Of course there are many different translations of the Bible. From what I've seen, all of the English translations of that verse are the same in regards to: Virgin gets raped>The crime is brought to light>Rapist pays her father>She has to marry him (and he can't divorce her). The exact wording may vary between the translations, but the meaning seems to remains the same.

Women were essentially property, and their virginity was basically property of the father. The rape of a virgin would be a crime against the father, because it would render the former virgin damaged goods and unable to be married off in the normal fashion. So the fine is paid to the father to compensate the only real victim, and the rapist must make the situation good by marrying the daughter himself.

He can't divorce her because otherwise that would just be an escape clause for the canny legally minded rapist. (And they wonder why Jews are reputed to make such great lawyers.)

Such a fine moral lesson!

Mashed Potato Grenade

I wonder who the real autists are
kiwifarms.net
Women were essentially property, and their virginity was basically property of the father. The rape of a virgin would be a crime against the father, because it would render the former virgin damaged goods and unable to be married off in the normal fashion.
Who knew the Bible was written by /r9k/?

Hylian Heroine

It's a secret to everybody.
kiwifarms.net
Women were essentially property, and their virginity was basically property of the father. The rape of a virgin would be a crime against the father, because it would render the former virgin damaged goods and unable to be married off in the normal fashion. So the fine is paid to the father to compensate the only real victim, and the rapist must make the situation good by marrying the daughter himself.

He can't divorce her because otherwise that would just be an escape clause for the canny legally minded rapist. (And they wonder why Jews are reputed to make such great lawyers.)

Such a fine moral lesson!

You are correct in regards to the status of women in that era, and how rape was considered almost akin to vandalism or theft of the father's 'property'. (Sometimes I can get carried away and the things I write turn into text walls, so I didn't go into all that, but thank you for providing proper historical context).

I can't say that I'm too surprised that Chris would have such morals, but just something about being okay with a woman being forced to marry her rapist doesn't sit well with me. I personally prescribe to the "Amputate the offending appendages" route. If one can't keep their appendages to themselves, they don't deserve them.

Pardon me, I just heard the doorbell. Hopefully it's not that pesky Geneva Convention or Amnesty International trying to tell me what a horrible person I am for believing that....

Just remember... the Bible was written by humans.
I would not be surprised if half of it is considered bullshit in the afterlife.

Maybe we could ask Patti-chan.
I study religions as a hobby. Some things I've found are that people will "create" their chosen deity in their own image and will pick and choose verses of their holy books to back up their ideas, while ignoring all others that may say otherwise. For example: Chris is angry at trolls, therefore, so is his idea of god. Chris wants to have premarital sex, so his version of god says it's okay. The Bible criticizes a man dressing as a woman and vice versa, but Chris ignores that.

As mentioned by Son of Big Boss, the Bible was written by human hands. Humans have agendas, opinions, and personal bias. When there's a book that is said to be written by a deity (or even inspired by one), those who are religiously inclined are going to perk their ears and do as the book tells them, when for all they know it could have been written by people in power who want to forward their way of thought.

Last edited:

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
What about dream prophecies? God told him in a dream that someday he will have a daughter and her name will be Crystal. I believe he mentioned that in the Father Call that his daughter HAD to have that name.

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something interesting I've noticed is that he does seem to (whether knowingly or not) agree with the Bible in regards to rape.

According to the CWCki
(http://www.sonichu.com/cwcki/Chris_and_sex#Rape):

Now, according to the Bible (via https://www.biblegateway.com):

Religion can be a touchy subject. I've noticed that most people here in the forums seem to have thick skins, but before anyone possibly gets carried away, I am not religion bashing, I'm merely quoting what is written in what is considered the holy book of the Christian faith.

Just like any other religion, there are teachings that guide it's followers to be great people. As a contrast, there are also teachings that no sane person would follow. If you ask my opinion, the aforementioned verse falls in line with the latter statement.
I think it's likely unknowingly. Chris' actual knowledge of the Bible is very, very shallow, so I can't believe he even knows Deuteronomy exists. More likely it's that he simply has no idea about rape either, and his total lack of theory of mind means that he can't conceptualise how traumatic it is.

timtommy

I am a damn Smoker!
kiwifarms.net
I think it's likely unknowingly. Chris' actual knowledge of the Bible is very, very shallow, so I can't believe he even knows Deuteronomy exists. More likely it's that he simply has no idea about rape either, and his total lack of theory of mind means that he can't conceptualise how traumatic it is.

I agree with this. I don't judge him too harshly for the "marry your rapist" comment. It comes more out of ignorance than misogyny. My guess is the only biblical/moral justifications he had in mind were atonement and forgiveness.

And it was also a contrived situation created by trolls to make Chris say something absurd.

I hope it doesn't make me seem like a horrible person, but my reaction is to laugh at Chris, not castigate him.

Cotton Puddings

chris chan's hair is NOT BLUE!!!
kiwifarms.net
but he knows it's a traumatic thing, which is why he called himself "emotionally raped by trolls" more than once

i know getting mad at him is like getting mad at a baby, but i don't have favorable feelings toward him when he compares getting made fun of on the internet to something as awful as rape. he's in his goddamn thirties and only associates with women, he should know better

timtommy

I am a damn Smoker!
kiwifarms.net
but he knows it's a traumatic thing, which is why he called himself "emotionally raped by trolls" more than once

i know getting mad at him is like getting mad at a baby, but i don't have favorable feelings toward him when he compares getting made fun of on the internet to something as awful as rape. he's in his goddamn thirties and only associates with women, he should know better

Meh. Rape is one of those words that gets thrown around a lot more than it probably should be. I have heard things like "man, that test really raped me." so many times.

Rin

Needlessly Bitchy Pigtails Girl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think he knows it's something bad and serious on an intellectual level. But he has zero empathy, so he can't even begin to comprehend how it would effect someone. If the situation of marrying her rapist was presented to him as being an acceptable solution, he'd just go with it, probably because they never made a cartoon about why you shouldn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.