Money Chris's Etsy shop is possibly closed (updated 6/8) - It's closed again

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Rainboom

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Aren't all etsy payments routed through etsy itself? That is, the customer couldn't initiate chargebacks directly, only etsy could. And I would imagine they'd first require the customer to exhaust some sort of customer service process first before that.
Actually, I'm not sure. In the past, payments went directly to the seller's paypal account, but Etsy seems to be limiting this 'standalone paypal' option now, and having the payments go to their paypal account instead.

Has anyone here bought from Chris lately? Does the paypal receipt show Chris's email address or etsy's?

Lurkman

Transgender is not a mental illness
kiwifarms.net
This is one of the more depressing parts of studying CWC at least for me

I'm gonna say something that might have already been said but I'll repeat it. To the person saying Chris, if he were to break out of his childish virtual reality would get a full-time job, how? He can't even get a part-time job with the amount he's done online that an employer can see.

He can't even get a job most likely, and if he can, it'll probably be paying minimum wage, barely enough for a house.

Etsy is kind of all Chris has for money, I feel bad for him and Chris doesn't even understand how much he needs Etsy, which for me, is worse.

Chris was never taught the right skills for adulthood, so forget about a job with that.

Sorry if I was just repeating things, I wanted to express why I believe Etsy is actually very important in Chris's life.

In my eyes, its all he can handle and all he has left.

When it was removed, I felt genuinely sorry. That's just my silly self though.

The American Hedgehog

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is one of the more depressing parts of studying CWC at least for me

I'm gonna say something that might have already been said but I'll repeat it. To the person saying Chris, if he were to break out of his childish virtual reality would get a full-time job, how? He can't even get a part-time job with the amount he's done online that an employer can see.

He can't even get a job most likely, and if he can, it'll probably be paying minimum wage, barely enough for a house.

Etsy is kind of all Chris has for money, I feel bad for him and Chris doesn't even understand how much he needs Etsy, which for me, is worse.

Chris was never taught the right skills for adulthood, so forget about a job with that.

Sorry if I was just repeating things, I wanted to express why I believe Etsy is actually very important in Chris's life.

In my eyes, its all he can handle and all he has left.

When it was removed, I felt genuinely sorry. That's just my silly self though.
Chris gets around $1,300 per month in SSDI money. His profits from Etsy sales don't come close to matching that. I think his key motivations for making the Etsy shop were to realize his dream of making Sonichu merchandise and to get some extra money to spend on toys.

He treats Etsy more as a hobby than a job. He kept pushing Amiibos, even though they barely sold, because he likes making them. His drawings are far more profitable, but he doesn't like drawing, so he doesn't focus on those. He can afford to make that choice because he's not financially dependent on Etsy. The government and Borb enabled his behavior by ensuring that his basic needs are handled with no effort from him.

I think he's bored of Etsy and wants to focus on his other hobbies, like buying Lego sets, playing video games for hours, and staring at hypnosis videos.

DangDirtyTrolls

The man in the pickle suit tricked me once again
kiwifarms.net

It's really not that bad, I mean there are places that hire ex-cons so Chris could definitely find work if he really wanted. The kind of places that would not hire Chris because of his online presence are likely to be the kind of places he couldn't get into anyway due to zero work history, zero work ethic etc. Sure he'd likely only be able to get a minimum wage job, but that's still an extra dependable income and where Chris lives isn't that expensive. The biggest thing holding Chris back from working is his utter unwillingness to work.

anusaurus

the ass is love
kiwifarms.net
Actually, I'm not sure. In the past, payments went directly to the seller's paypal account, but Etsy seems to be limiting this 'standalone paypal' option now, and having the payments go to their paypal account instead.

Has anyone here bought from Chris lately? Does the paypal receipt show Chris's email address or etsy's?
The last I heard, Chris won't be getting anything from PayPal for a while. A bunch of comic orders were reversed.

Gav01

kiwifarms.net
I'm thinking back to Chris's bans on Deviant Art. It seemed that back then he was violating policies over and over again and the admins were banning his accounts or taking down his pages, and Chris just never seemed to investigate why this was happening. He just assumed it was trolls or computers being dumb, and immediately reactivated his accounts, or made new ones. Which is itself also often bannable.

Might it be the case here that Etsy closed his page for ToS violations, and Chris simply never read any messages about this nor acknowledged that he was doing anything wrong. Like he just found his shop down one day and went on to re-open it despite a soft ban? Might he be poking the 'Etsy-bear'?

HumanBeanbag

Pre-quilt
kiwifarms.net
He treats Etsy more as a hobby than a job. .
I think the most telling thing is how the donation option vanished from his store and he hasn't said anything about it. A couple of weeks ago he was begging for donations like his livelihood depended on it, so you would imagine finding a new way to receive them would be a big priority. Maybe he would come out and say 'The donation listing is gone, but you can still donate by buying a custom drawing'.

Instead he hasn't said anything. I think he just saw it as a bonus but not a necessity. He didn't even say anything when the shop was closed for a while, no explanation, no reassuring potential customers that everything was OK. It just reads like he doesn't really care.

I suppose the other explanation for the silence is the Paypal stress behind the scenes that has been mentioned.

Subconcious Offense

kiwifarms.net
I think the most telling thing is how the donation option vanished from his store and he hasn't said anything about it. A couple of weeks ago he was begging for donations like his livelihood depended on it, so you would imagine finding a new way to receive them would be a big priority. Maybe he would come out and say 'The donation listing is gone, but you can still donate by buying a custom drawing'.

Instead he hasn't said anything. I think he just saw it as a bonus but not a necessity. He didn't even say anything when the shop was closed for a while, no explanation, no reassuring potential customers that everything was OK. It just reads like he doesn't really care.

I suppose the other explanation for the silence is the Paypal stress behind the scenes that has been mentioned.
It's just like Marvin said, Chris exaggerates. We should already know that too, yet someone donated to him anyway.

ZehnBoat

Benny Harvey RIP
kiwifarms.net
It's just like Marvin said, Chris exaggerates. We should already know that too, yet someone donated to him anyway.
I think the fact that Chris hasn't flipped his shit over it proves his "plz give me cash I have emergency" video was just him begging for life upgrades. Come next month when he's spent all his money, and want more lego, he'll go back to SUPER PRAYER MODE and beg for dosh.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Chris gets around $1,300 per month in SSDI money. His profits from Etsy sales don't come close to matching that. I think his key motivations for making the Etsy shop were to realize his dream of making Sonichu merchandise and to get some extra money to spend on toys.

He treats Etsy more as a hobby than a job. He kept pushing Amiibos, even though they barely sold, because he likes making them. His drawings are far more profitable, but he doesn't like drawing, so he doesn't focus on those. He can afford to make that choice because he's not financially dependent on Etsy. The government and Borb enabled his behavior by ensuring that his basic needs are handled with no effort from him.

I think he's bored of Etsy and wants to focus on his other hobbies, like buying Lego sets, playing video games for hours, and staring at hypnosis videos.
Not to mention shitting himself and doing nothing.

If only Borb had let Chris go to that special school otherwise.

Sanae is a slut

Curious "faith" gatherer
kiwifarms.net
He can't even get a part-time job with the amount he's done online that an employer can see.
Trust me, dude. Most part-time employers at minimum wage establishments don't screen your online history. If anything, his criminal history would be more likely to prevent him from getting a job, assuming we don't take into account his sheer unwillingness to look for one.

TowinKarz

Last Seen Fleeing From the Scene.....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And for non-security-related jobs, I have a hard time thinking that they'd waste time/money background checking someone too hard. That criminal history question is really only a CYA so they can fire you if you say "no" and it comes out later. They really aren't going to look into your history for your typical entry-level minimum wage job, they're more immediately concerned that you show up on time, do what you are told, and pass maybe a drug screen.

Ironically, the screen is about the only thing Chris could pass even with the bar set that low.

MrsFrizzle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Trust me, dude. Most part-time employers at minimum wage establishments don't screen your online history. If anything, his criminal history would be more likely to prevent him from getting a job, assuming we don't take into account his sheer unwillingness to look for one.
I think showing up dressed as an unshaven hobo bag lady would be a problem.

TowinKarz

Last Seen Fleeing From the Scene.....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed, I've seen enough no-hoper hires at my place of employment that I know three steps in the door, Chris would be giving off serious "don't hire this dude" vibes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None