Chrono Trigger/Cross -

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
Been playing Chrono Trigger, which my brother downloaded onto the SNES mini lately. Just got to the part were you get the Epoch (which is awesome as hell). Regarding the game, more could be done, but it's still nicely iconic the way it is. You got a memorable soundtrack, colorful setting, an impressionable cast, and a fun, straight forward plot. The speculative fiction aspect (be it a sci-fi, fantasy, etc.) blends pretty well all things considered. Being a history buff and all, I would've loved it to death as a kid!

As for Chrono Cross, the story looks bonkers. However, I like many of the concepts and style. I'm not surprised Baten Kaitos was a spiritual successor to Cross, artistic and gameplay-wise. While I hadn't played it, it still looks appealing in other ways, if you forget it's a "sequel" to Trigger.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I've played through Trigger a couple of times and it's just superb. Played a couple of hours of Chrono Cross and I'm just too dumb to understand the god damn battle mechanics, shit's complicated. One of the reasons I lost interest in jRPGs in the late 90's was that many of them became so complicated, compared to the simplicity of FF6, Chrono Trigger, Lufia and all the other ones.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've played through Trigger a couple of times and it's just superb. Played a couple of hours of Chrono Cross and I'm just too dumb to understand the god damn battle mechanics, shit's complicated. One of the reasons I lost interest in jRPGs in the late 90's was that many of them became so complicated, compared to the simplicity of FF6, Chrono Trigger, Lufia and all the other ones.
The Battle system isn't THAT complicated, 10-year-old me easily picked it up back when it was new with little issues. It also helps that right in the beginning there is a tutorial battle that can explain the the details. It is very different, but it boils down to a turn-based system where you need to build up power by attacking before you can cast spells.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
The Battle system isn't THAT complicated, 10-year-old me easily picked it up back when it was new with little issues. It also helps that right in the beginning there is a tutorial battle that can explain the the details. It is very different, but it boils down to a turn-based system where you need to build up power by attacking before you can cast spells.
Yeah, if I played it as a teen I would probably have no problem with it, playing it at 30+ I just felt old and stupid.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
CT is in my top 5 ever and everything relevant about it has already been said, so, Cross:

I played it as a young teen and didn't find the combat that bad once you pick it up. Learning that spamming 3-power attacks isn't optimal is the big hurdle. I really liked Cross but consider it a strategy game rather than an RPG due to how the star system works, to really appeciate it I suggest watching one of the RPG limit break speedrun relays of it in which there are a couple chill people trading off commentating/running and they dissect each battle like it was a grandmaster chess game in order to absolutely break the combat system in half due to its rigidity.

It's not even a video you really have to watch, like most RPGLB runs it just functions as a long podcast about the game in general and doesn't require much attention beyond glancing over periodically when they get hyped up for a boss battle.

• Informative
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
I played chrono trigger for the first time not too long ago and it was great. After spending a lot of time on mobile games recently it made me remember how good real games are and how much I love JRPGs. I chose the DS version cause I like to get the most up to date versions of games and the bottom screen menu shortcuts were useful too. I didn't touch any of the DS original content, though, cause people told me it was shit. I might still do it at some point later but for my first playthrough I just did the original content and then beat the game.

Reactions: ducktales4gameboy

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played chrono trigger for the first time not too long ago and it was great. After spending a lot of time on mobile games recently it made me remember how good real games are and how much I love JRPGs. I chose the DS version cause I like to get the most up to date versions of games and the bottom screen menu shortcuts were useful too. I didn't touch any of the DS original content, though, cause people told me it was shit. I might still do it at some point later but for my first playthrough I just did the original content and then beat the game.
I'm guessing the people that told you it was shit didn't like Chrono Cross. Though I should note only a small portion of the new content ties to it. You basically get 5 new dungeons, 2 of which are mostly identical and are merely in different time periods(you go back and forth to unlock new paths in each), which contain new bosses and equipment stronger than what used to be the ultimate equipment in the original.

Marle in particular enjoys the weapon she can get from it, a crossbow that always deals 777 Damage, and ignores any defenses or resistances that would normally negate or reduce weapon damage. They also give Frog a new sword with high attack (not as much as the upgraded Masamune) that also gives +5 Strength so that he can have a good weapon for Newgame+ runs.

After beating the 3 non-identical ones you can fight a new superboss that grants a new ending, both of which tie to Chrono Cross. There is also a Monster arena, but is is pretty pointless without someone to use it with.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
After beating the 3 non-identical ones you can fight a new superboss that grants a new ending, both of which tie to Chrono Cross.
You also get a new ultimate weapon for Crono, which is stronger than the Rainbow and has a crit rate of 90%. It's great, I love having it in New Game+.

Vapewizard

kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing the people that told you it was shit didn't like Chrono Cross. Though I should note only a small portion of the new content ties to it. You basically get 5 new dungeons, 2 of which are mostly identical and are merely in different time periods(you go back and forth to unlock new paths in each), which contain new bosses and equipment stronger than what used to be the ultimate equipment in the original.
IIRC their main reasoning was that they felt the new dungeons were repetitive, though considering there's superweapons inside it's probably better that I just beat it normally the first time anyway. Wouldn't want to make it too easy for myself with new weapons and/or overlevelling.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IIRC their main reasoning was that they felt the new dungeons were repetitive, though considering there's superweapons inside it's probably better that I just beat it normally the first time anyway. Wouldn't want to make it too easy for myself with new weapons and/or overlevelling.
Crono and Magus are really the only characters that get complete 100% Upgrades with weapons, the other new ones have some downsides of some sort or other limitations. The latter shouldn't be making normal attacks often anyways, and the former requires you beating the new super-boss, meaning there aren't really any harder challanges after that point anyways

• Informative
Reactions: Vapewizard

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
I'm guessing the people that told you it was shit didn't like Chrono Cross.
Personally I hated the DS added content because it just doesn't mesh with either CT or CC's design sensibilities. It felt like bad fanfiction comparative to everything else. The stuff ported over from the PSX release was great though.

The DS content also irritated me because it didn't address the unused temple on Zeal or the colliseum they cut from 65000 BC, add anything related to Alfador, or give Johnny a bigger role - all things the CT staff got started on and had to cut to make the original release date. The alfador cut quest is the biggest omission since the dummied-out assets for it carry the implication you'd be able to go back to Zeal before the mountain fell somehow.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Personally I hated the DS added content because it just doesn't mesh with either CT or CC's design sensibilities. It felt like bad fanfiction comparative to everything else. The stuff ported over from the PSX release was great though.

The DS content also irritated me because it didn't address the unused temple on Zeal or the colliseum they cut from 65000 BC, add anything related to Alfador, or give Johnny a bigger role - all things the CT staff got started on and had to cut to make the original release date. The alfador cut quest is the biggest omission since the dummied-out assets for it carry the implication you'd be able to go back to Zeal before the mountain fell somehow.
The only time I can think of where a remake of a Squaresoft game added cut content was the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV adding in a few flashback scenes that were part of the original script(like 75% of the story was trimmed out so they could fit it on a Super Famicom Cartridge).

The biggest offender is IMO the PS4 remake of Secret of Mana. Similar to Final Fantasy IV 75% of the game was cut, but unlike FF4 it is very obvious at some points(Like the overworld having many important-looking locations you can't enter and the second half of the game being a dungeon/boss rush), and addtionally the full game was fully programed since the game was going to be for the CD Add-on of the SNES that was made with the failed partnership with Sony, and they had to cut most of the game out at the last minute. The troubled production of Secret of Mana as a result of Nintendo backing out of that deal was one of the many reasons Squaresoft jumped ship to primarily make games for Sony as soon as Nintendo wasn't the Japanese market leader anymore. They could've easily taken advantage of the remake by releasing the full game, but they still kept all of that stuff cut out.

I think at this point it is safe to say that Square Enix would rather not mess with the narrative of remakes for the most part, and thus leave a large majority of new content to the late or post game, which is exactly what they did for the DS remake of Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:
Tags
None