Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

Flexo

I can't feel emotions
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I admit its going to be fun watching Kowel throw what little career she has away attempting to salvage the unending clusterfuck that is Discon III/Worldcon 2021.
Oh I hadn't heard about this yet. Do tell.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Oh I hadn't heard about this yet. Do tell.

Kowel is the latest Con Chair for Discon III/Worldcon. The third, if I recall correctly, as the past two chairs have been forced to resign and the entire con board has also quit two or three times.

Even by the standards of uperwoke Worldcon, this year has been a shitshow.

Either way it's a win for the critics of SFWA. Either she fucks up too, or she further turns Worldcon into a clubhouse.

SamTheEagle

What if the true lolcow is inside us?
kiwifarms.net
As far as Sanderson, the man is one of the few people kn spec fiction who effortlessly enjoys working relationships on both sides of the political divide... he will have Kowel on his YouTube for an interview, and the next week, be cracking jokes at Dragoncon with Larry Correia and the former sad puppies.
I've not read any of Sanderson's stories, but I've listened to some of his lectures, the Writing Excuses podcast, and other things. He did a video with Shadiversity once (Shad was consulting Sanderson on fencing and weapons for his next novel), and Shad asked Sanderson his thoughts on the The Last Jedi. Sanderson clearly didn't care for the movie, but he commented, "I have to work with these people." I think his secret to getting along with everyone is largely keeping his politics to himself, finding common ground with others, and picking his battles.

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net
I was thinking to myself: "It's a RPG about supernatural creatures, of course you take liberties for the sake of the game." Then I found the quote.

L9N_g9zUKvaOaTw7LExR5gySUnpImOkrbJIXrHFINVfd2hcLV1WTGOOF2QHUMEQYG13z7f2SyoJd43q5CyAeGlS7QOoDgpdWMkQ4H5YPsSaUQ2WcxqhMr6w2VoewybBUW3uJnfFv

This kind of irreverence to truth and history is common among Chuck and his TOR buddies. If you read their interviews, it's clear that they view themselves as the smartest and most moral people ever to have lived and expect to remake the science fiction canon in their own image.

Looking at the Amazon sales numbers I see a lot of older books, and no Chuck. I don't see Roanhorse or Jemisin on that list either. It's one of the reasons I'm really curious how these books sell.

@Boston Brand If you can, I'd love to see how Wanders sold and how well the Heir to the Empire, Aftermath and High Republic books are selling and who is buying them. There have been accusations about librarians using their budgets to prop up Wendig and Co. while refusing to stock more popular books by problematic authors. If the majority of books are getting distributed by Baker & Taylor and Scholastic it would give that theory more credibility.
What is this supposed to be, Unbiased History: The RPG?

Karl der Grosse

Like catnip for fat crazy women
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As if Rome had a "hall of records" during the period before the Gallic invasion. The first truly systematic collation of records seems to have been started by Lucius Cornelius Sulla Dictator, and even then it seems to have mostly been limited to army/logistics paperwork. The first Roman to have written a history that we know of was the one written by Fabius Pictor 200 years later. Before the mid to late republic period, written history wasn't considered important because they were principally an oral-based culture. They only became a writing-based society after exposure to hellenisation. Latin was a very difficult language to read, it didn't flow well or lend itself to literature. Greek, as a written language, could be used much more easily for writing and reading, which is why most Roman works of literature were written in Greek for an upper crust who was conversant in Greek. The flowering of Roman literature written in Latin only came about during the late Republic/Early Principate period.

Last edited:

Imago

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kowel is the latest Con Chair for Discon III/Worldcon. The third, if I recall correctly, as the past two chairs have been forced to resign and the entire con board has also quit two or three times.

Even by the standards of uperwoke Worldcon, this year has been a shitshow.

Either way it's a win for the critics of SFWA. Either she fucks up too, or she further turns Worldcon into a clubhouse.

This exact clusterfuck played out at Worldcon 76 back in 2019. The local organizers prioritized popular authors and created a program with mass appeal. Naturally the twitter clubhouse shit their pants. With the local volunteers getting abuse from the usual suspects Kowel stepped in and offered to help revise the schedule so that the twitter clown show could take center stage.

Worldcons are put on by local volunteers that petition for the right to hold the convention in their city. They do the hard work of organizing the con, recruiting volunteers and creating the schedule. Then, at the last moment, the privileged clubhouse decide that they should be running things, harass the locals into leaving, so that the national org can swoop in and 'fix' things.

Kowel isn't going to suffer any reputational harm from this. All the blame is going to fall on the locals, while she gets praised for attempting to save the convention from the regressive old guard. Why anyone still volunteers for this is beyond me.

I wonder if Chuck ever feels the tweet of Damocles hanging over his head. He's in the clubhouse, but so was George R. R. Martin. They chased out the conservatives, so now all they have to eat is each other.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
This exact clusterfuck played out at Worldcon 76 back in 2019. The local organizers prioritized popular authors and created a program with mass appeal. Naturally the twitter clubhouse shit their pants. With the local volunteers getting abuse from the usual suspects Kowel stepped in and offered to help revise the schedule so that the twitter clown show could take center stage.

Worldcons are put on by local volunteers that petition for the right to hold the convention in their city. They do the hard work of organizing the con, recruiting volunteers and creating the schedule. Then, at the last moment, the privileged clubhouse decide that they should be running things, harass the locals into leaving, so that the national org can swoop in and 'fix' things.

Kowel isn't going to suffer any reputational harm from this. All the blame is going to fall on the locals, while she gets praised for attempting to save the convention from the regressive old guard. Why anyone still volunteers for this is beyond me.

I wonder if Chuck ever feels the tweet of Damocles hanging over his head. He's in the clubhouse, but so was George R. R. Martin. They chased out the conservatives, so now all they have to eat is each other.

Oh pretty much all the post-puppy Worldcons have had this issue, you're right. Its what happens when the event morphed from celebrating genre fiction to woke wankery, usually by bashing whatever shmucks aren't part of the in group.

This year though is a very SPECIAL kind of fuck up though... there have been a laundry list of issues with the convention planning, from having the date changed to nearly losing the convention hotel multiple times.

On top of that, even for Worldcon, there are some explosive potential controversies that will probably explode at the convention. The small but vocal black spec fiction community has had literally nothing good to say about it from the start, and are pissed that a local figure of thiers got booted for Kowel. The Trans community isnout for blood after what happened to Isabel Fall, and NK Jemison still hasn't been able to return to Twitter over her role in that. A Native American lobbying group is debating showing up to protest Rebecca Roanhorse, aka the Elizabeth Warren of spec fiction. And we all but know several Hugo nominees, most notably Lindsay Ellis, bought thier way to the award.

I don't think this car crash CAN be fixed, and I guarantee its going to take some careers with it. Even by the standards of Worldcon, where personal attacks and turning authors into piñatas is the order of the day, Discon III is a target rich environment. A powderkeg in need of a match.

I can only hope that it makes an explosion worth watching.

Flexo

I can't feel emotions
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh pretty much all the post-puppy Worldcons have had this issue, you're right. Its what happens when the event morphed from celebrating genre fiction to woke wankery, usually by bashing whatever shmucks aren't part of the in group.

This year though is a very SPECIAL kind of fuck up though... there have been a laundry list of issues with the convention planning, from having the date changed to nearly losing the convention hotel multiple times.

On top of that, even for Worldcon, there are some explosive potential controversies that will probably explode at the convention. The small but vocal black spec fiction community has had literally nothing good to say about it from the start, and are pissed that a local figure of thiers got booted for Kowel. The Trans community isnout for blood after what happened to Isabel Fall, and NK Jemison still hasn't been able to return to Twitter over her role in that. A Native American lobbying group is debating showing up to protest Rebecca Roanhorse, aka the Elizabeth Warren of spec fiction. And we all but know several Hugo nominees, most notably Lindsay Ellis, bought thier way to the award.

I don't think this car crash CAN be fixed, and I guarantee its going to take some careers with it. Even by the standards of Worldcon, where personal attacks and turning authors into piñatas is the order of the day, Discon III is a target rich environment. A powderkeg in need of a match.

I can only hope that it makes an explosion worth watching.
Yes.... yes... THIS is the gossip I was hoping for. Forget game of thrones, THIS is the entertaining shit!

When is it supposed to go down? I want to have popcorn ready and a good place to watch it burn.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Yes.... yes... THIS is the gossip I was hoping for. Forget game of thrones, THIS is the entertaining shit!

When is it supposed to go down? I want to have popcorn ready and a good place to watch it burn.

You and me both my cybernetic friend. You and me both... the one silver lining to working for the beast, I get a front row seat to ALL the fireworks.

The convention is in December, but I expect things to hear up (more than they already are) as that draws closer and closer. Both as people start campaigning for Hugos, or settling on just cutting the legs from under those who are.

The Isabel Fall story is a solid example... the poor woman was harassed to near suicide and run out of the industry last year... why publish an expose now? Probably doesn't hurt that Jemison, one of her harassers, was about to start spiking the football over landing a Masterclass and a movie deal, and has begun her awards push for The City We Became.

Similarly, watch other Native American authors over the next few months - Rebecca Roanhorse is about as popular with them as a smallpox blanket, given how much her work is entirely built around tribal stereotypes.

I still fully expect Ellis to be a main target of blowback... her "cancelation" was self-imposed, but there's no denying her immunity is gone, aka talking shit about her, true or not, is no longer an internet death sentence. She's an outsider to this crowd, and well... similar politics or no, there is NOTHING the SFWA wokie in crowd hates more than an outsider in thier midst. Plus, as I pointed out in her thread, her book sales are in freefall... if the sequel tanks, I think its open season on her.

Toss on some internal shit - one major flashpoint is awarding a future Worldcon to China, something even the Wokies oppose, but the increasing dependence on the Chinese market at magazines like Clarkesworld may force, threatens to split the base even further - and it should be an exciting few months. Especially for those hoping to fan the flames, or even just toast a proverbial marshmallow over them.

Side note, this crowd really does deserve a thread, just not sure where to put it.

Oh, and @Imago, Wendig is probably safe-ish for one simple reason: he doesn't sell books, doesn't seek award nominations, aside from a fluke Dragon Award nomination last year, and is a useful lickspittle.

Until his books actually sell, or he rediscovers his spine and/or balls, Cucky is more useful either used or ignored.

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net

Isn't that how mass culture works, the clubhouse dictates what is popular and the masses slowly, sometimes grudgingly, get used to it? Or, if you're lucky, they get abandoned for a more skilled clubhouse.

Last edited:

AnOminous

what is yet to come
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What really says it about this bogus convention is I've never even heard about any of these morons other than from their participation in woke controversies. Nothing any of them have written is worth shit, nobody reads this garbage. The closest thing to actual competence among them is Jemison, who would be second-tier in any actual contest about literary merit.

SF is basically absolutely garbage these days thanks to these utterly worthless people and their net negative "contribution" to literature. Fuck them all. The sooner they die and get to burning in Hell, the better.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
What really says it about this bogus convention is I've never even heard about any of these morons other than from their participation in woke controversies. Nothing any of them have written is worth shit, nobody reads this garbage. The closest thing to actual competence among them is Jemison, who would be second-tier in any actual contest about literary merit.

SF is basically absolutely garbage these days thanks to these utterly worthless people and their net negative "contribution" to literature. Fuck them all. The sooner they die and get to burning in Hell, the better.
It says a lot that I haven't bought a new sci-fi book in...probably upwards of a year or so now. Even before that, my new purchases were sporadic at best, maybe buying one every few months or so.

On the other hand, I go to my local used bookstore frequently, usually once a month at least. I snag a few older titles for about as much as a new book would cost, and I've never been let down yet. The most mediocre book from decades ago is still running circles around the tripe that gets put on shelves today. No authors up their own asses about how smart they are for "deconstructing" sci-fi, no Strong Female Characters™, no bizarre aversion to heterosexual relationships, just quality stories and memorable characters (and well-written females too).

The beauty of this situation is that, much like every other space that the wokescolds have infested, you don't have to buy their shit. We live in a world where there is more entertainment than any one person could ever hope to consume in their lifetime. Thus, there's no need to settle for garbage. The classics are all waiting for you, along with plenty of titles that might not be great, but they're still a solid experience, and way better than these hacks could ever hope to accomplish. Their drivel will be forgotten while the greats continue to stand the test of time.

And on a side note, if you're not already, support your local used bookstores. It breaks my heart to see one go out of business.

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net

Why do you think there was such a rush from this crowd to rig the Hugos in thier favor? Think they could stand on merit or sales numbers?

Oh, and word came about the first thing Kowel did now that she's in charge: fire all the remaining local volunteers to bring in her own people. This includes the head of programming who literally already had the entire panel schedule done already, I can only imagine to be replaced with some rainbow coalition nightmares.

Literally none of the people who had worked for years to bring Worldcon to DC are still involved with the convention now.

It says a lot that I haven't bought a new sci-fi book in...probably upwards of a year or so now. Even before that, my new purchases were sporadic at best, maybe buying one every few months or so.

On the other hand, I go to my local used bookstore frequently, usually once a month at least. I snag a few older titles for about as much as a new book would cost, and I've never been let down yet. The most mediocre book from decades ago is still running circles around the tripe that gets put on shelves today. No authors up their own asses about how smart they are for "deconstructing" sci-fi, no Strong Female Characters™, no bizarre aversion to heterosexual relationships, just quality stories and memorable characters (and well-written females too).

The beauty of this situation is that, much like every other space that the wokescolds have infested, you don't have to buy their shit. We live in a world where there is more entertainment than any one person could ever hope to consume in their lifetime. Thus, there's no need to settle for garbage. The classics are all waiting for you, along with plenty of titles that might not be great, but they're still a solid experience, and way better than these hacks could ever hope to accomplish. Their drivel will be forgotten while the greats continue to stand the test of time.

And on a side note, if you're not already, support your local used bookstores. It breaks my heart to see one go out of business.

I haven't bought a book by anyone alive in decades. The only good writers are dead.

The one flaw with this logic is there are still some genuine great authors that, with luck and time, are putting out work that is genuinely great and will outlast the legacy of the woke in vogue today.

There are big names like Sanderson, Butcher and Correia, sure, but a ton of rising names and talent that frankly, need the support who the "nothing new that's good" only hurts. Dave Butler, Jason Cordova, Kacey Ezell, Christopher Ruocchio... Hell, I just read the third book of Ruocchio's Sun Eater series, and if the man isn't mentioned in the same breath as Frank Herbet or Gene Wolfe in 20 years, I'll eat my hat.

Not to mention a ton of really talented newcomers who are still desperately trying to break into the buisiness in spite of the people running it... we had a never before published author come through my desk whose novel is probably some of the best sword-and-sorcery I have read in years. Think Conan the Barbarian if it were adapted by Golden Harvest, it was magnificent! He just had the awful luck to be a white male. Passed it up the chain and one of the editors above me rejected it without even reading it. I'm still livid, ten years ago that would have been snapped up by us in a heartbeat.

As soon as I got home, called a colleague of mine who works for Baen Books and told them they needed to buy this since my bosses were too stupid to do that. I hope they do, I want to see where this series would go.

You are right that so much of today's wokie spec fiction is cancer that can't kill the patients fast enough... but my god there is some great stuff still coming out in spite of that who need the support. A good place to start is pretty much anything put out by Baen, the Pulp Revival movement, or the Dragon Award nominees.

You think the wokies in spec fiction are pissed that nobody buys thier books despite doing all they can to rig the game? Knowing that authors they have done everything they can to hide or sabotage still succeeding makes them blow thier lids.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
The closest thing to actual competence among them is Jemison, who would be second-tier in any actual contest about literary merit.
I wish I could find the blog entry she wrote from a cruise ship all about how terribly discriminated by the publishing industry she is. IIRC it was some sort of "meet the authors" cruise where of course her tab was fully picked up the people running it.

FWIW, she's also the one that got Vox Day bounced out of the SFWA for basically saying the same shit she says everyday, only with the colors reversed.

All the way back to 2013. How time flies.

In N. K. Jemisin's Continuum GoH Speech, she called Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day, "a self-described misogynist, racist, anti-Semite, and a few other flavors of asshole." He rejected that characterization in A black female fantasist calls for Reconciliation and called her "an educated, but ignorant half-savage, with little more understanding of what it took to build a new literature by "a bunch of beardy old middle-class middle-American guys" than an illiterate Igbotu tribesman has of how to build a jet engine."
Can both sides be right and both still be assholes? 🤔