Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Twatter / Archive

1639743714281.png

Karl der Grosse

Like catnip for fat crazy women
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They weren't tired tropes when Tolkien wrote his books, they've become tired tropes because 95% of fantasy writers steal themes and characters and actions from Tolkien.

Chuck probably hates Tolkien because Tolkien had a true mastery of English as a language, while Chuck's use of language is infantile and jarring.

Second Missing Primarch

The Bell of Lost Souls tolls for the Bogdanoffs
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Having read both Tolkien and Chuck Wendig, I can safely say that Chuck doesn't get to criticize jack-shit about JRR's writing. The worldbuilding is what makes LOTR; the level of depth, complexity, and care that Tolkien poured into creating Middle-Earth is rivaled only by Dune and possibly A Song of Ice and Fire. More than that, Tolkien could write.

Tolkien: "[Eówyn] answered: 'All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.'"

Meanwhile, this is Chuck's idea of how a badass heroine should talk: "Miriam turns her hitchhiker's thumb into a middle finger, and she yells out, 'Eat a dick and die, fuckpie!'"

One of these women sounds like a steely, determined warrior who isn't about to let her gender get in the way of killing some orcs. The other sounds like a snotty child who gets a kick out of swearing when her parents aren't around. A century from now, we're still gonna be talking about Lord of the Rings. Chuck Wendig won't even be a footnote in the annals of sci-fi/fantasy writing.

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
To give Wendig a little credit, it's not the worst take on Tolkien I have ever read. That prize goes to another shitty YA author:

No, I don't think going into the West is a "reward" or a question of "deserving." That's much too simple a reading.

What I do believe is that Tolkien's chosen ending allows him--and that's "him" the author rather than "him" the protagonist--to circumvent and elide the reality of thousands of men of his generation, the men who are the secondary characters, for example, of Sayers' The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, men who actually have to live with the unredeemable pain and sometimes humiliation of having survived World War I.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
To give Wendig a little credit, it's not the worst take on Tolkien I have ever read. That prize goes to another shitty YA author:

No, I don't think going into the West is a "reward" or a question of "deserving." That's much too simple a reading.

What I do believe is that Tolkien's chosen ending allows him--and that's "him" the author rather than "him" the protagonist--to circumvent and elide the reality of thousands of men of his generation, the men who are the secondary characters, for example, of Sayers' The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, men who actually have to live with the unredeemable pain and sometimes humiliation of having survived World War I.

I'm not even sure were to start it's so wrong It's hard you counter since I can't even understand how they got there. Who wrote this?

AnOminous

what is yet to come
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

This dumb fuck apparently doesn't know he served in World War I himself and lost many friends there, and nearly died himself (from disease got in a trench). He did not like it at all and would have preferred to avoid it entirely, but he didn't.

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
They weren't tired tropes when Tolkien wrote his books, they've become tired tropes because 95% of fantasy writers steal themes and characters and actions from Tolkien.

Chuck probably hates Tolkien because Tolkien had a true mastery of English as a language, while Chuck's use of language is infantile and jarring.
Also LOTR isn't about "the chosen one" really. The chosen one is Sauron, and the ring is just using people to get back to him. LOTR and the Hobbit work because Hobbits are the exact opposite of chosen ones which is why it works. Fantasy books in general love ignoring this.