Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net
Dare I even ask?
He turned Turok from an American Indian into a black man (despite Amerindians getting far less representation in media outside of Westerns) who fought literal Nazi dinosaurs (like they wore Nazi uniforms with swastika armbands, not they had a Nazi-esque ideology) and nuked a dinosaur city full of civilians at the end.

Edit:
Sure it's kinda silly to have a straight pride flag, but I think Chuck here is reading a bit too much into it.

View attachment 801411
So um.... how's the marriage Chuck? How are the wife and kids? Are you okay Chuck? Is there something you maybe need to talk to a councilor about?

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net
Tyrone and Jammal are upstairs in the bedroom tag-teaming the missus while Chuck tweets all his drivel.
No wonder he thinks heterosexuality looks like a corpse-dead, bleak, washed-out old timey prison jumpsuit that's oppressive, dull, as exciting as a cinderblock, and as energizing as an elementary school eye-test.

Poor Cuck the Wendigo doesn't even get to watch.

For real though, from a married man that rant about the straight pride flag comes across as insanely bitter, and it's wonderfully hilarious. Possibly Chuck's greatest written work.

Jaimas

Fourth Echelon Shitposting Team Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He turned Turok from an American Indian into a black man (despite Amerindians getting far less representation in media outside of Westerns) who fought literal Nazi dinosaurs (like they wore Nazi uniforms with swastika armbands, not they had a Nazi-esque ideology) and nuked a dinosaur city full of civilians at the end.
....How the fuck do you make Turok Evolution look well-written in contrast?

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net
That's the remarkable thing about the Wendigo. He's not just a bad writer, he's so bad it defies belief. You can read just a paragraph or page from pretty much any of his works and it's so jaw droppingly bad that it looks like a bad joke or troll. It's mind boggling that any publisher with a modicum of self respect would sully their printers with his grotesque word guro. And yet it's happened over and over again...

It'd be funny if everyone were in on the joke, but he has honest fans. And most of them seem to have mental issues or not speak English as a first language...

nanny911

kiwifarms.net
That's the remarkable thing about the Wendigo. He's not just a bad writer, he's so bad it defies belief. You can read just a paragraph or page from pretty much any of his works and it's so jaw droppingly bad that it looks like a bad joke or troll. It's mind boggling that any publisher with a modicum of self respect would sully their printers with his grotesque word guro. And yet it's happened over and over again...

It'd be funny if everyone were in on the joke, but he has honest fans. And most of them seem to have mental issues or not speak English as a first language...
What sets Chuck aside for me is that only is he an insanely bad writer, he's so damn arrogant and so damn convinced that's he's the best writer in the room. He's like a modern day Amanda Ros, everyone except for trolls and sycophants hate his work, but he insists that he has a loyal fanbase and is waiting for his Nobel literature prize.

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
What sets Chuck aside for me is that only is he an insanely bad writer, he's so damn arrogant and so damn convinced that's he's the best writer in the room. He's like a modern day Amanda Ros, everyone except for trolls and sycophants hate his work, but he insists that he has a loyal fanbase and is waiting for his Nobel literature prize.
I've always been a proponent that there doesn't exist valuable media or art without an agenda. Even if that agenda is trying to communicate the beauty of something, you are ingesting it and repurposing the part you think is important to bring the viewer/reader into your world. Movies have always done this, too.

The example I saw recently was 12 Angry Men which so preposterously advocated for jurors becoming private investigators and deviating from the facts of the case that literally the only conceivable reason the movie was written was to basically say "everyone has prejudice, there is always reasonable doubt, nobody knows anything." That's not the message, that's the entire skeleton of the story. But it's something the writer believes in so he is able to communicate it as realistic, and compelling, and evocative, and memorable. But if you break it down you should come to the conclusion that it is insane.

Where Chuck fails so spectacularly is he similarly starts with an agenda, but it's not really anything he believes in. Most comic writers these days can't do this, they start with something they are against. This means that it will necessarily be hamfisted and preachy.
But on top of that, you have to add that they're trying to take something out on the reader. Nazi dinosaurs. In no reality is that a good or interesting idea, but Chuck is trying to "troll" some group. Everything they do is winking compulsively at the audience and hoping that the haters are watching and seething. Which they aren't.

But you can see - and Zoe does this too, all sorts of comics people do this - at no point are they trying to craft an argument or communicate their worldview or tell an innovative story. It's "let's make this person black and gay and they'll say how much they hate comics, nyah nyah." I know capeshit/Star Wars is stupid and nobody should care, but it's wild how many creators and writers for these franchises will come out and basically say "fuck the lore, who cares about the fans, they're the enemy and I can't wait to piss them off."

I
t's just so devoid of humanity, there was more identifiable human characteristics behind a fucking Jerky Boys sketch. If Chuck and the rest of these annoying queers just decided to prank call Chick-Fil-A it would be more admirable than this beige bile they're just churning out.

not william stenchever

Orbiting ain't easy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
John Ringo is one of my favorite trash sci-fi authors and even in his preachiest books he always strongly establishes the thing to fight against. In the Posleen War series humanity gets enlisted at gunpoint to fight for a stellar empire who's uplifted warrior species have gone rogue and are en route to invade Earth. Humans are pretty good at killing folk and so they give us power armor and hypervelocity rifles to fight them (in insufficient quantity). The Jews humanoid elf people who run the interstellar empire after the precursors fucked off or died cannot physically commit violence and will suffer a seizure if they try(due to precursor genetic fuckery), thus their predatory nature is turned towards politics and mercantilism. Therefore lots of political fuckery happens during the protagonists' attempts to actually win the fucking war. When the baddies actually reach Earth people have to defend themselves with M2 brownings, recommissioned battleships, and nuclear powered nuke chucking tanks, because the powers that be want humans to be an easily controlled minority in the aftermath. (by the way the first book in this series was published in the year 2000)

That's clear stakes that leaves room for expansion. However the author got bored and only did one book's worth of expansion to continue the series. Unless you count the side-novels where a couple of heavy cruisers from WWII get injected with nanites and become ship-waifus with railguns and shit

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Where Chuck fails so spectacularly is he similarly starts with an agenda, but it's not really anything he believes in. Most comic writers these days can't do this, they start with something they are against. This means that it will necessarily be hamfisted and preachy.
He also doesn't craft anything actually to persuade anyone of anything, because he considers anyone who doesn't already share every single belief he has to be absolute trash, Nazis, scum. Why would he convince anyone? There's no such thing as dialogue and even acting like anyone but a white, millennial SJW is human is flat treason.

So all any politics from this kind of soy boy means is that he's signaling to you that he's one of you and isn't it great we all share exactly the same opinions and aren't cartoon cutout Nazi villains like every other person in the world but modern American "progressives?"

It tells you nothing except what kind of person the writer is, and that he thinks you're shit unless you're a carbon copy clone of him.

andr0id psycho sho(ker

I destroy internet memes with my creepy stare!
kiwifarms.net
Say, does anythink the guy cucking Wendig is hyper progressive like him or leans to the center or the right. Might explain his twitter habbit or something

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net

Didn't see the rambling posted but Chuck's been losing his mind over the Sonic movie because they're tweaking the design. He really dislikes the idea of creators changing their work because of the fans and then insults people who do that as feeding into fan entitlement which makes writing worse for other people.
Imo. I agree that if you are a creator of an original work then yes, you should stick to your guns. Even if they're weird, wild and polarizing. A la J.K. Rowling. You originated the property, abuse it however you want.

When you're a creative who are making use of a popular property that already has cultural presence though, no. You're using that property to make a profit by capitalizing off the goodwill of fans that were established by someone who wasn't you. If you want to reengage with the fans to make money you stay honest to the property. The sonic design was atrocious and mass rejected by the people that would be the target market, it only makes sense to change it.

He can cry moar because Disney and Star Wars are an example of what happens when you shit on the pre-established fanbase you need to reengage.

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net
He also doesn't craft anything actually to persuade anyone of anything, because he considers anyone who doesn't already share every single belief he has to be absolute trash, Nazis, scum. Why would he convince anyone? There's no such thing as dialogue and even acting like anyone but a white, millennial SJW is human is flat treason.

So all any politics from this kind of soy boy means is that he's signaling to you that he's one of you and isn't it great we all share exactly the same opinions and aren't cartoon cutout Nazi villains like every other person in the world but modern American "progressives?"

It tells you nothing except what kind of person the writer is, and that he thinks you're shit unless you're a carbon copy clone of him.
And the other part of his writing is him taking the kind of self indulgent musings someone would put in a journal, and slipping them into his stories as his characters' thoughts and feelings.

This is especially evident when he's writing characters he didn't create, like in his Star Wars novels. One segment of his I read that was better written than most is when Han holds his baby in his arms for the first time and at first it's weird to him and he thinks of it as a sort of parasite, but then he worries about hurting the baby and then he finally feels protective of it. It feels more emotionally honest than most of Wendig's drivel, but it's also totally wrong for Han. It's not Han Solo, it's Chuck Wendig. This is what he thought when his first baby was born, so he threw it into a book as a character's thoughts when that character has a baby.

Because the only character Wendig can write with any emotional honesty is himself. Too bad he's a bitter, self-centered, self-righteous soyboy that most people don't want to read about. Most SJW writers have this same overwhelming narcissism to their writing. Mags Visaggio putting a self insert into every single comic he publishes and then using that character to whine about his life is infamous. They do this because they're incapable of putting themselves in anyone else's shoes or empathizing with a different mindset. So the only characters they can write are self inserts, and they're not appealing people. Everyone else in their stories is a two dimensional caricature.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
And the other part of his writing is him taking the kind of self indulgent musings someone would put in a journal, and slipping them into his stories as his characters' thoughts and feelings.

This is especially evident when he's writing characters he didn't create, like in his Star Wars novels. One segment of his I read that was better written than most is when Han holds his baby in his arms for the first time and at first it's weird to him and he thinks of it as a sort of parasite, but then he worries about hurting the baby and then he finally feels protective of it. It feels more emotionally honest than most of Wendig's drivel, but it's also totally wrong for Han. It's not Han Solo, it's Chuck Wendig. This is what he thought when his first baby was born, so he threw it into a book as a character's thoughts when that character has a baby.

Because the only character Wendig can write with any emotional honesty is himself. Too bad he's a bitter, self-centered, self-righteous soyboy that most people don't want to read about. Most SJW writers have this same overwhelming narcissism to their writing. Mags Visaggio putting a self insert into every single comic he publishes and then using that character to whine about his life is infamous. They do this because they're incapable of putting themselves in anyone else's shoes or empathizing with a different mindset. So the only characters they can write are self inserts, and they're not appealing people. Everyone else in their stories is a two dimensional caricature.
Note that he also gave Han Solo a beard (which ended up in the single player campaign of EA Battlefront 2) just like himself

Doctor Placebo

Israeli Autism Awareness
kiwifarms.net
Note that he also gave Han Solo a beard (which ended up in the single player campaign of EA Battlefront 2) just like himself
Han's going to have to lose 10 inches off his height, gain 50 pounds, get some glasses, replace his gun-slinging ability with impotent whining, and start letting Sandpeople fuck Leia while he watches before he comes close to being a convincing stand-in for Wendig.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Evolution was a case of being a rushed product with a nasty development cycle (this was around the time Aklaim was imploding). Sloppiness aside, there was no deliberate attempt to weaken the series or insult the fanbase. In fact, I believe that if it had a solid enough premise, it just needed a lot more polish .

Wendig is the Anti-Midas, everything he gets his stubby fingers on turns to shit. Couple that with an active contempt towards fanbases and a lack of respect for Turok, and you get the horseshit that is his comic. Hell, even if he didn't have the Anti-Midas touch, the premise is so insulting that it taints the series in a way that Evolution or the reboot can't match.