Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
This years Dragon Award nominations are out, and Chuck actually managed to get his stupid book nominated for Best Novel.
View attachment 1512606
For context, the Dragon Awards are basically Dragon Con's version of the Hugos, in that it's a fan poll of Dragon Con attendees (although I guess anyone can nominate/vote if they want to without attending, so it's more like "a fan poll of anyone who's into fantasy/sci-fi"). Since the nominations opened in November and Chunk's book came out last July, it's possible that some ballot stuffing went on before the entire Internet Archive fiasco occurred. I can't imagine anyone wanting to nominate him after that happened, and I have doubts that anyone would vote for him now. If he still wins anyway, then either the public has a very short-term memory or there's something fishy going on.

It's funny how I've never heard of any of these books except Chunk's, and only because of all the drama surrounding him. I browse the sci-fi section at my local bookstores frequently, and I've never seen any of these on the shelves. If anyone has read any of these, are they good? (I already know the answer for Chunk's book.)

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For an update on the whole Dragon Awards thing, the good news is that Chunk Windbag didn't win the award. The bad news is John Scalzi did.

Then again, these awards also named Plan IX the best sci-fi/fantasy movie of the year, so I think it's safe to say we can discard the results whole cloth.
Does Scalzi have a thread? I don't actually know a lot about him besides a low-grade sense of irritating wokeness when he pops up in conversation online.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Does Scalzi have a thread? I don't actually know a lot about him besides a low-grade sense of irritating wokeness when he pops up in conversation online.
He's just a woke dude installed in SF fandom. He doesn't really chimp out that much and seems reasonably nice when talking about normal SF issues and not being a wokescold.

Chan the Wizard

My Gemsona is autistic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For an update on the whole Dragon Awards thing, the good news is that Chunk Windbag didn't win the award. The bad news is John Scalzi did.

Then again, these awards also named Plan IX the best sci-fi/fantasy movie of the year, so I think it's safe to say we can discard the results whole cloth.
It sounds like am award winning book
Back in the Hub planet system, Emperox Grayland II consults with her Memory Room – the recorded thoughts and emotional states of every single previous emperox – in search of an unlikely solution to save the entire population of the Interdependency. She plans to break the Nohamapetan blockade of End via a predicted new “evanescent” Flow stream into the End system, while Marce Claremont, a scientific advisor and eventual secret fiancé to Grayland, discovers a possible new method for controlling the evanescent Flow streams which may allow for the transport of whole habitats to the End system, thus preventing an overburden on the planet itself.

Doctor Placebo

Somebody asked for brains?
kiwifarms.net
Back in the Hub planet system, Emperox Grayland II consults with her Memory Room – the recorded thoughts and emotional states of every single previous emperox – in search of an unlikely solution to save the entire population of the Interdependency. She plans to break the Nohamapetan blockade of End via a predicted new “evanescent” Flow stream into the End system, while Marce Claremont, a scientific advisor and eventual secret fiancé to Grayland, discovers a possible new method for controlling the evanescent Flow streams which may allow for the transport of whole habitats to the End system, thus preventing an overburden on the planet itself.
1599776234376.png

That reads like how people who hate science fiction parody science fiction writing. Sentences packed with made up gobbledygook with no explanation for what any of it means. Is "Emperox" supposed to be a gender neutral version of "Emperor?" Because I know some woke authors have pulled that sort of shit. If so, it's retarded, not just for the usual reasons, but because the character is still called "she" which makes it completely unnecessary.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was the Dragon Award a pity win for Scalzi having a stroke, because this is word salad.

Parthenos

Why hast thou let me see this, Lucifer?
kiwifarms.net
That's a lot of words to say, "Yeah, Space Queen will solve climate change by using space magic to teleport people. But a bunch of meanies are blockading the planet and getting in the way of it working. Hey, Joe Self-Insert, fix it."

Though for fuck's sake, you can make a better story with that premise without relying on "space magic lol". Heck, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is a video game with a wrecked, overpopulated Earth as the setup and what little writing it has is better than this tripe.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
"Emperox" is merely lame and eye rolling. "Flow streams," let alone "evanescent Flow streams" is what really kills it for me.
Sounds like something that would give Samuel Collingwood Smith a stiffy.

I don't care, though, so long as Cuck Wendigo got the shaft I'm fine. It was probably a pity nomination in the first place.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Scalzi is irritatingly woke. But he mainly just irritates his fellow writers. And credit where credit is due, while I would never pay for his shit or encourage others to do so, he is an objectively far better writer than Cuck Wendig. Granted that is not a high bar to cross. Wendig’s shit is astonishingly bad. Like his 7th grade English Teacher should probably be jailed, bad.