Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, I think the problem nowadays is that most writers want to be writers and then get drawn into this incestuous circle jerk about writing and the creative process until the whole thing is so self-referential, it's a miracle the universe hasn't imploded.
Check out the various "writers community" hashtags on Twitter if you want confirmation of this. Buncha slackjawed faggots (including the women ... especially the women). Forever seeking validation, broadcasting what great "allies" they are, tut-tutting about identity politics and representation ... every one of them needs to get into at least one bar fight.

PurpleSquirrel

I owe God five skulls.
kiwifarms.net
Nah, I think the problem nowadays is that most writers want to be writers and then get drawn into this incestuous circle jerk about writing and the creative process until the whole thing is so self-referential, it's a miracle the universe hasn't imploded.

I absolutely agree with my buddy that if you want to be writer - get a day job first and actually go live life. Learn about the world as it is. The actual construction of stories is not that hard and can be picked up pretty easy. Hell, you can practice just by talking about your day. Judging the audience's (friends and family) reaction in real time will help you learn better than any classroom.

Fuck, some of the greats of the western canon were done by unlearned amateurs. Not only can you do it, but if you've actually experienced the world, you'll definitely be a better writer than Wendig.

(Even if you've got the creativity of a charter accountant, there is still need for writers of records, facts, history, etc.)
I'd also add: read a lot. Especially the canonical classics -- there, you learn how the fine use of language becomes an art form that can entertain and inspire.

And don't reject non-fiction just because you don't have a graduate degree in some arcane specialty. Researching a subject isn't that difficult, and there are vast veins of history and culture that haven't been mined by the academics -- usually for reasons having to do with incestuous university politics.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Edgy two gun mystery man
kiwifarms.net

I absolutely agree with my buddy that if you want to be writer - get a day job first and actually go live life. Learn about the world as it is. The actual construction of stories is not that hard and can be picked up pretty easy. Hell, you can practice just by talking about your day. Judging the audience's (friends and family) reaction in real time will help you learn better than any classroom.

Fuck, some of the greats of the western canon were done by unlearned amateurs. Not only can you do it, but if you've actually experienced the world, you'll definitely be a better writer than Wendig.

(Even if you've got the creativity of a charter accountant, there is still need for writers of records, facts, history, etc.)
This is why you have bullshit like the Iowa Writing Workshop, basically training people and making them pay for a Master's in writing a very specific kind of fiction no one actually likes to read.

PurpleSquirrel

I owe God five skulls.
kiwifarms.net
This is why you have bullshit like the Iowa Writing Workshop, basically training people and making them pay for a Master's in writing a very specific kind of fiction no one actually likes to read.
Someone once said something to the effect of, "Nearly all non-genre novels published since about 1970 are little more than people cataloging their neuroses."

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Bradbury and PK Dick are among the least formally educated, and as a result, the most brilliant of them all. No mind rot from the system. Total iconoclasts.
They're among the greatest writers period of the 20th Century, never mind "science fiction" writers.

Check out the various "writers community" hashtags on Twitter if you want confirmation of this. Buncha slackjawed faggots (including the women ... especially the women). Forever seeking validation
Moar like forever seeking dick. And I don't mean Phil.

Flexo

Not associated with commie greeting cards
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They're among the greatest writers period of the 20th Century, never mind "science fiction" writers.
I once picked up a collection of PKD stories at a bookstore on sale for cheap. He is... a fascinating writer to read just for the experimentation. I was impressed when in one book, he had a theme/idea expressing X, then in the following story, had that same theme/idea expressing !X. It's not often you'll find writers take two opposite sides in their writings and full kudos to him for it.

LordofCringe7206

What's that Plank? They're hiding in the library?
kiwifarms.net
This is one of the biggest problems with several professions. Writers, journalists, pundits, academics. A lot of the people within these fields lack other life experiences. They've never held other jobs, even throughout their schooling they never took on crap jobs to earn money. Mopping floors, busing tables, washing dishes. This is exactly how we get the smug assholes we have today.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net

The Secretary of the Bank of England could write The Wind in the Willows.

Ashen One

Come play, My Lord.
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1599165
Well now I've definitely seen everything.
In case you're new to Chuck Tingle, the whole schtick is to get something ~lol so randumb xD *holds up spork*~ and add gay buttsecks to it (and put BUTT in the title XD!!!1!1!!!)

I can't comment on the actual quality of the writing because I haven't felt the need to subject myself to that.

Last I heard people were thinking it's the Homestuck guy writing under a pseudonym.

Doctor Placebo

Somebody asked for brains?
kiwifarms.net

This is one of the biggest problems with several professions. Writers, journalists, pundits, academics. A lot of the people within these fields lack other life experiences. They've never held other jobs, even throughout their schooling they never took on crap jobs to earn money. Mopping floors, busing tables, washing dishes. This is exactly how we get the smug assholes we have today.
These are not the days of Hemingway. These are the days of bugmen. They have no experience other than consoom.
It used to be the norm for great people in the arts to have led interesting lives. Not just writers like Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, and JRR Tolkien, but musicians too. Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, these guys went through crazy shit.

Nowadays it's a bunch of basement dwelling nerds who have only ever wanted to be in the arts and pursued nothing else. Usually they haven't even pursued their artistic craft that hard. They're a bunch of NEET consoomers.

Monster Energy Drink

kiwifarms.net
It used to be the norm for great people in the arts to have led interesting lives. Not just writers like Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, and JRR Tolkien, but musicians too. Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, these guys went through crazy shit.

Nowadays it's a bunch of basement dwelling nerds who have only ever wanted to be in the arts and pursued nothing else. Usually they haven't even pursued their artistic craft that hard. They're a bunch of NEET consoomers.
I loved that clip of Harlan Ellison addressing a room of writers and asking who there had had a real job. Real life experiences. I think one dude raised a hand and Ellison made fun of him when he said he was in tech.

The writing world seems like a very incestuous and cliqey place where talent doesn't factor into your success. I don't envy anyone who is trying to get their start in writing when their face doesn't fit.

/A/non Prince

Fruity Pink, but no purple :(
kiwifarms.net
Yeah it seems more fame by association and because of that, it has to be good. Unlike how earlier it was mostly talent and get lucky to have someone notice you and give you a big shot. They also don't really have any ideas that can fit too well or make relatable to a target audience. I think it might be that they don't have much of a story on how they got there or any big event in their life. It seems more inspired by their peers rather than things they're interested in, their own life and hardships, or historical events or people.