Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't envy anyone who is trying to get their start in writing when their face doesn't fit.

And these days it has to be a soy face.

Like this.

1600391788329.png

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
It used to be the norm for great people in the arts to have led interesting lives. Not just writers like Ian Fleming, Roald Dahl, and JRR Tolkien, but musicians too. Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, these guys went through crazy shit.

Nowadays it's a bunch of basement dwelling nerds who have only ever wanted to be in the arts and pursued nothing else. Usually they haven't even pursued their artistic craft that hard. They're a bunch of NEET consoomers.
The basement dwelling nerds of days gone past were people like Robert E Howard. He barely left his Texas hometown and was perhaps one of the most committed momma's boys in history. Yet he could write action like perhaps no other author who ever lived. He'd look at people like Chuck as his creation Conan would, with pure loathing.

kaien

kiwifarms.net
The basement dwelling nerds of days gone past were people like Robert E Howard. He barely left his Texas hometown and was perhaps one of the most committed momma's boys in history. Yet he could write action like perhaps no other author who ever lived. He'd look at people like Chuck as his creation Conan would, with pure loathing.
And even Howard, for all he didn't travel much, was a stenographer, an oil rig worker, a newspaperman, a soda jerk, a postman, and an amateur boxer. He lived in a limited sphere, but he still lived.

Jetpack Himmler

Creepy Little F--k
kiwifarms.net
This is one of the biggest problems with several professions. Writers, journalists, pundits, academics. A lot of the people within these fields lack other life experiences. They've never held other jobs, even throughout their schooling they never took on crap jobs to earn money. Mopping floors, busing tables, washing dishes. This is exactly how we get the smug assholes we have today.
To add to that point, those profession entail having to interact with actual people rather than the caricatures in their heads. I will slightly power level here and reveal that I work in retail as well as write (though I hesitate to say writer as a profession) and come into contact with a host of people from different backgrounds every shift. Sometimes I strike up a brief conversation to help with the experience and gain some perspective. Of course, Chuckie Boy is too smug to mingle with the rabble.

One thing I do wonder is why Chuck Windbag chose to write as a profession. Did he do it for the sake of feeding that creative spark? I recall opening his one of his books at a Chapters/Indigo a few years back and giving up after a couple paragraphs because the writing was a chore to read despite being at a grade school level. People like him are the reason why I am doing my damned hardest to avoid the SF community and will instead choose to self-publish instead. It will cost me a lot of money, but I am doing it to fulfill a lifelong dream and for the love of creating this world and characters I care about. If I defy the odds and it becomes popular, great, but this is about more than money to me. Chuck strikes me as a shallow imposter concerned less with the art of writing and love of science fiction/fantasy than he is about his own social status within the SF "community."

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reposting this from the SW thread, but a shitty new Disney mobile game decided to honor Wendig again by featuring his OC mommy gf Norra "Hilldawg" Wexley as a playable character for the first time alongside her son... Why must they insist on acknowledging Chuck's vomit? And speaking of odes, has Chuck bothered to acknowledge any of Disney's recent references to his crap? Or is he too pissed at them to care anymore?

ditto

kiwifarms.net
Bradbury and PK Dick are among the least formally educated, and as a result, the most brilliant of them all. No mind rot from the system. Total iconoclasts.
PKD is Terry Davis if he decided to become a writer.
And even Howard, for all he didn't travel much, was a stenographer, an oil rig worker, a newspaperman, a soda jerk, a postman, and an amateur boxer. He lived in a limited sphere, but he still lived.
Contrast with bugman, who has eaten Big Macs on 5 different continents.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net

Also his friend, HP Lovecraft, was a shut in too wasn't he?

A Nigger Darkly

I like the sound of it.

Do CIA Niggers Dream of Glow in The Dark Sheep?

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
Also his friend, HP Lovecraft, was a shut in too wasn't he?

Lovecraft travelled widely around the East Coast both for pleasure and to look at architecture and to visit his pen pals. The bits in Shadow over Innsmouth where the protagonist is making plans to travel as cheaply as possible are all based on what Lovecraft himself did when travelling. Within his limited means, Lovecraft was well-travelled.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Lovecraft travelled widely around the East Coast both for pleasure and to look at architecture and to visit his pen pals. The bits in Shadow over Innsmouth where the protagonist is making plans to travel as cheaply as possible are all based on what Lovecraft himself did when travelling. Within his limited means, Lovecraft was well-travelled.

He literally never traveled once outside his country or even his region. Even by the most generous definitions he was not well traveled.

Reactions: BScCollateral

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
He literally never traveled once outside his country or even his region. Even by the most generous definitions he was not well traveled.

That's why I had to qualify it with within his means. Though he did travel as far north as Montreal and as far south as Charleston which does fulfill the outside his country and outside his region criteria.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
Contrast with bugman, who has eaten Big Macs on 5 different continents.

Eating Big Macs on five different continents would be a decent accomplishment. I don't think there's a Burger King on Antarctica, so there's no way you could get more than six. Someone who has eaten Big Macs on five continents would certainly be well-travelled, if nothing else.

Good point, I'd actually forgotten Canada. It's easy to forget Canada.

"A hen is not a bird, and Canada is not abroad."

An Sionnach Seang

Justin Bieber shit's like a cat!
kiwifarms.net
on reflection, I may have found the anti-Wendig

Shaun Hutson, former roadie for Iron Maiden, has written a ton of pulp thrillers/horror novels since the early 80s, and has even had one or two turned into (admittedly terrible) films
they're not particularly good by any standards, but some of them are real page-turners and they're far more compelling than anything Chuck Wendig has ever shat out
he just started writing for the hell of it and continued when people bought the books; he's never been interested in licensed properties like Star Wars
by all accounts he's easy-going and doesn't take himself that seriously