Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
Writing in present tense is the Hot Thing in YA, Allah only knows why. It makes my teeth itch.

This thread is probably full of a lot of writers but my take is that it's generally easier to write and a cheap way to make a scene more engaging for adult dopes and child weirdos.
Like telling a campfire story and making people feel they are there actually in the moment, it's just saying "picture THIS" so you can have looser sentence structure and people will be more forgiving of the wretched prose. A lot of teens and child writing enthusiasts default to this, and some as they grow older may use that as a first draft tactic to block in the general flow and plot progression, but to just publish what seems like a really hacky first take should be more insulting to people that it seems.

Also, this has been covered, but the main driving force for these people is the opposite of someone like Tolkien or Joyce who might dedicate huge amounts of time in pursuit of one great work. These people love just being known as authors. So to them, they're having fun doing what they like as a corporate gig. These are glorified Powerpoint presentations but they see themselves in the same league as Frank Herbert.

Leblanc

The pinnacle of evolution is, UNIVERSAL DOMINATION
kiwifarms.net
The rise of YA has a lot to do with it. Go over to the YABookgate thread for a sampling. It's really not "Young Adult;" it's written by and for 20-40something dangerhairs and wine moms.

I like to think the authors of modern YA books got the definition of "young adult" mixed up with the definition of "man child"

The Grinch

kiwifarms.net
Imagine having a job where you literally could take a giant steaming shit, put it between covers, and it would be published every time, and you'd get massively overpaid for this trash. And losing it over pure stupidity.
The funniest part is that in his blog posts he mentions "cis white males" striking out against everything that threatens them, and he's really just describing himself. He'll never admit that he got himself fired, it has to be those BIGOTS and MISOGYNISTS keeping him down. Twitter is such a strange website, it simulateously encourages this type of behavior and thinking while also allowing these people to setup their own downfall.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Are there any "present tense books" which are in the "everyone thinks is Good" range?
There are a few that are fairly cult. For instance Rabbit, Run by John Updike, a dead guy who was fairly mainstream. Also Fight Club by Chuck Pahlaniuk, who is rather guilty of gimmick writing himself. I think it's supposed to give a sense of immediacy or something but mostly it's just distracting. Pahlaniuk actually at least intends his writing to be annoying on some level.

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
One of the very few who could pull off the style was Damon Runyon.

Good example of why rules for writing are flexible.

My favorite, go-to example is Aliens. Sure, let's follow-up Alien with Colonial Marines and guns and pew pew pew! Directed by the guy who wrote Rambo!

If you're good, you can get away with anything.

I think earlier in this thread, someone posted a fairly long chunk of one of Wendig's books. An online tool pegged it as written for the fifth grade, about the same as Harriet the Spy. "Young Adult" is more sophisticated than this.

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well... the worst has finally come to pass...
1604058954306.png

One of Chuck Wendig's OC from the Aftermath books has made it into live action via the Mandalorian thus validating his garbage even more. And as a Boba bait and switch no less... Favreau and Filoni made hints that they liked Wendig's crap before so I'm not surprised. What really gets me is people on Twitter saying they gotta read Wendig's trash now and others shilling for his shit.

People denied it and even Chuck denied it, but I fucking knew it. FUUUUUUUCK

Last edited:

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well... the worst has finally come to pass...
View attachment 1695703
One of Chuck Wendig's OC from the Aftermath books has made it into live action via the Mandalorian thus validating his garbage even more. And as a Boba bait and switch no less... Hidalgo and Filoni made hints that they liked Wendig's crap before so I'm not surprised. What really gets me is people on Twitter saying they gotta read Wendig's trash now and others shilling for his shit.

People denied it and even Chuck denied it, but I fucking knew it. FUUUUUUUCK
View attachment 1695727

I only care about this if he's getting royalties.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And then, for no reason at all, robots decided to kill all humans.
I only ask for this one thing: Start with Hollywood, so I can close up my life on a positive note.
Fuck I hope not. All I know is that writers from prior to the Disney buyout get no royalties. Not sure if the same applies to post-Disney writers, but I sure hope it does.
I would assume that Disney has a "whatever you create legally belongs to us with all rights attached" thing in place.

People like Chuck work for a pittance, of course they'd also sign a contract that hands out their creation to Disney entirely. Frankly, if Disney had to pay Chuck money for using his stuff, I doubt they'd be using it.

General F-Mantoid

A.W. "Noa" Brimley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Chuck's reaction...
1604069715152.png

The fucker likes it but he also says its a "bummer". Can we take this as confirmation that he's getting no royalties?

Anyway now he stopped caring pretty quickly and is now ranting about teeth and his brain.

1604069906624.png

And judging from this, it seems even Chuck's own brain tells him he's a bad writer and that nobody likes him but Chuck doesn't want to listen because the brain is actually a parasite. Official confirmation that the man does not use his brain.

Also...
1604069994380.png

Chuck, your brain doesn't hate you. Its trying to tell you you're a weirdo and a fuck up. Listen to it ffs.

Oh great... No royalties but free exposure...
1604069753834.png

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The fucker likes it but he also says its a "bummer". Can we take this as confirmation that he's getting no royalties?

I doubt it could mean anything else. Of course a manchild speaks like a child. QED.

Fuck, I hope more of Chuck's creations show up in the degenerate Star Wars media.

• Agree
Reactions: General F-Mantoid

Flexo

Not associated with commie greeting cards
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I come bearing more news of the pain.
This Squadron Pack includes iconic heroes such as Poe Dameron and Temmin "Snap" Wexley, featuring new abilities based on their appearance in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.​
I only ask for this one thing: Start with Hollywood, so I can close up my life on a positive note.
I was going to start with moviebob then go to Hollywood and after that France.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I come bearing more news of the pain.
This Squadron Pack includes iconic heroes such as Poe Dameron and Temmin "Snap" Wexley, featuring new abilities based on their appearance in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.​
Why should I want this?
Poe is a war criminal, who faked a diplomatic mission to prepare a surprise attack and Snap is a fat piece of shit that gets shot down in "Plan 9 from Under Exegol".