Careercow Chuck Wendig / Charles Wendig / TerribleMinds - Terrible author, terrible person, ruined Internet Archive's online library

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
Speaking of which, why doesn’t crazy uncle Phil have a thread on the farms?

Too quiet, probably. Very few people care about the trainwreck RPG books he wrote ten years ago, and even fewer care about the trainwreck of Mage 20. Beyond that, he's just another wacky lefty on Twitter. I'm not even sure how crazy he is there.

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
Too quiet, probably. Very few people care about the trainwreck RPG books he wrote ten years ago, and even fewer care about the trainwreck of Mage 20. Beyond that, he's just another wacky lefty on Twitter. I'm not even sure how crazy he is there.
Bruh... he’s the moviebob of RPGs
0983CFB0-ED16-4788-AD15-C5694213DBDC.png

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
What even is Mage 20? Is it just a republishing of the old book with tons of shit cut out or something?
All of the WoD RPGs got 20th anniversary editions within the last ten years. They got omnibus editions with a bunch of extra content. Phil Brucato came back for Mage 20th and it’s over 700 pages long in tiny font. It cuts out a ton of functional content like a list of common sphere effects in favor of wokeness and surprise incest in the intro fiction.

Mola Ram

True & Honest Fan
What even is Mage 20? Is it just a republishing of the old book with tons of shit cut out or something?

Well, the 20th anniversary editions were supposed to be the final, definitive editions of the classic WoD games before the inevitable reveal of Fifth Edition. (Vampire 5 is its own subject, and one I'm not qualified to talk about.) For the most part they don't cut so much out as have everything consolidated in one book: all the splats and various sub-factions, all the powers, all the Merits & Flaws, etc. etc. For the other four games, this is largely true. Mage 20, however includes Phil (I am not calling him "Satyros") rambling for hundreds of pages, injecting SJW nonsense and chaos magic supremacy into it, and is generally a mess. One of the first pieces of intro fiction includes a flashback of a girl being raped by her father. The skeleton of a great edition of Mage is in there, but hoo boy do you have to strip out a lot of crap to find it.

To give you an idea of what a sloppy mess this book is, it had to be split into four volumes to get a full picture of the game: the corebook, The Book of Secrets, How Do You DO That?, and Gods & Monsters. Phil's nonsense lards all of these books up to an unconscionable length.

Bruh... he’s the moviebob of RPGs
View attachment 1698440

I would not be surprised to learn that, 25 years after Mage was even remotely relevant, Bob is more widely known than Phil.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
Good news nobody (sort of)!
Chuck just confirmed that he's getting no money from this.
He's honored to be one of the few authors to get his characters to go from books to visual media (something so many better authors deserved), but he confirms that he's bummed out because he is getting nothing from this.

But he doesn't want to talk about how "bummed" he is cuz he doesn't want to be a gloomy gus. Does this guy ever talk like an adult?

He also fully confirms that he's no longer allowed in Disney Wars or even allowed to go anywhere near it.

And he gives some horrible writing advice while claiming that all his critics who have been 'recently' ripping apart his work are full of bullshit, and that his work is goofy and should be loved otherwise you hate babies.

Also...

Really? Your trash? At the top of the fucking ladder? And what bugs me is that Disney and Lucasfilm treat it as such so he'll continue to believe it. What a world.

His whole website is a shitfest.
It's been said before in this thread, but Chunk's writing advice continues to be completely wrong and unhelpful, especially his insistence on breaking the rules all the time because he's 2 kool 4 skool. I could write a whole essay on how idiotic this is, but I think I can put it more succinctly:

Good writers learn the rules and follow them. Great writers learn the rules, then learn when and how to break or bend them. Bad writers don't learn shit and just vomit out whatever comes to mind.

AnOminous

there ain't no turning back
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
Good writers learn the rules and follow them. Great writers learn the rules, then learn when and how to break or bend them. Bad writers don't learn shit and just vomit out whatever comes to mind.
A major problem is that the worst writers of the third category invariably think they're in the second, but worse, they don't even think they need to learn the rules. Nearly every rule is meant to be broken from time to time, but to do it effectively, you need to know why the rule is there and what you are achieving by breaking it.

RomanesEuntDomus

Nächstes mal ohne Italien
True & Honest Fan
Chunky Boi is pretty much the book-version of Dobson. Poor grasp of the rules, mediocre styles, abrasive personality and toxic views all roled up into a greaseball of a body.

But whereas Dobson's poor skills were on display for anyone to see and he fell from grace and never amounted to anything more accomplished than having some books self-published, Wendig managed to suck up to enough people to hammer out a career for himself. A damn shame and I sincerely hope that his life as an author will come to an end rather sooner than later. Dude needs to eat a big slice of humble pie, and being a cashier at Walmart would be just about the right thing to serve it to him.

Mola Ram

True & Honest Fan
The traditional compromise is to call him goatboy or goatfucker.

True. But there's something so anodyne, so bloodless, so normie about plain ol' Phil. "Who's that beardo ranting about chaos magick and marginalized peoples and shitting on work by his colleagues from twenty years ago?" "Oh ... that's just Phil. Ignore him."

Karl der Grosse

Currently being sued by a cousin-fucker.
True & Honest Fan
It's been said before in this thread, but Chunk's writing advice continues to be completely wrong and unhelpful, especially his insistence on breaking the rules all the time because he's 2 kool 4 skool. I could write a whole essay on how idiotic this is, but I think I can put it more succinctly:

Here's a hilarious and terrifying factoid about Windbag's writing advice: He simply cannot stop himself from writing and writing and writing about how to write. Really, what the fuck is this? It's almost like he's trying to convince everyone (and probably the tiny self-aware part of his brain) that he's a good writer, so good that he can credibly advise others.

2020-11-02 08.15.12 en.wikipedia.org 47d5a3348e37.jpg

Seriously, this is fucking pathological.

RomanesEuntDomus

Nächstes mal ohne Italien
True & Honest Fan
Again: Much like Dobson shelling out his guides on how to draw, with such illustrous advice like: "Simply use a hard black-and-white scan of your sketch, color in everything with the bucket tool and then shrink the image a little, to blurr the lines."

Mola Ram

True & Honest Fan
Here's a hilarious and terrifying factoid about Windbag's writing advice: He simply cannot stop himself from writing and writing and writing about how to write. Really, what the fuck is this? It's almost like he's trying to convince everyone (and probably the tiny self-aware part of his brain) that he's a good writer, so good that he can credibly advise others.

View attachment 1701558

Six Wendig advice books on writing in two years is six more than anyone wanted or needed.

Admiral Mantoid

The Senate Society
True & Honest Fan
It's almost like he's trying to convince everyone (and probably the tiny self-aware part of his brain) that he's a good writer, so good that he can credibly advise others.
Oh no. His brain is fully aware of what a fuck up he is at both writing and human interaction. He just doesn't want to listen to it. Grave mistake.
1604329226436.png

Only place he can even feign decent human behavior and control his sperging is when in front of others, much like Dobson, as he's too chickenshit to show his true colors when at cons.

Chunky Boi is pretty much the book-version of Dobson. Poor grasp of the rules, mediocre styles, abrasive personality and toxic views all roled up into a greaseball of a body.

But whereas Dobson's poor skills were on display for anyone to see and he fell from grace and never amounted to anything more accomplished than having some books self-published, Wendig managed to suck up to enough people to hammer out a career for himself. A damn shame and I sincerely hope that his life as an author will come to an end rather sooner than later. Dude needs to eat a big slice of humble pie, and being a cashier at Walmart would be just about the right thing to serve it to him.
Honestly, that's unfair to Dobson. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it is.

Dobson is a hack, but he's at least able to make something presentable. If you looked at his art very quickly from a distance without a critical eye, it looks perfectly fine. Its only when you start to really look at it that you see the backgrounds are non-existent, the characters are inconsistent heights and off-model in every other panel and everybody has the same face, and it looks obnoxious. But if you were just flipping through dinky little DA comics, you wouldn't bat an eye. It looks like Garfield almost.

Wendig's writing, on the other hand, never looks good anywhere. Its always short, choppy, stilted and never really feels like an actual written story. It feels like somebody's outline for a story with some dumb jokes mixed in, rushed out to meet a deadline. It doesn't read like any other written story, it reads like someone who never wrote or read anything before trying to do it with no frame of reference. Wendig writes like Chris Chan draws.

TL;DR - Wendig is more like Chris Chan than Dobson.

AnOminous

there ain't no turning back
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
Wendig's writing, on the other hand, never looks good anywhere. Its always short, choppy, stilted and never really feels like an actual written story. It feels like somebody's outline for a story with some dumb jokes mixed in, rushed out to meet a deadline. It doesn't read like any other written story, it reads like someone who never wrote or read anything before trying to do it with no frame of reference. Wendig writes like Chris Chan draws.

TL;DR - Wendig is more like Chris Chan than Dobson.

Until recently he was paid money by a megacorporation for his writing. He actually has one, well let's say two, good pieces of writing advice available to him.

Always produce on deadline. I assume he did that because no other reason justifies his lengthy presence as a producer (excreter) of Star Wars "products" for soy mouthed consoomers.

Second, shut the fuck up. He would never consider actually giving this advice, but actively shitting on the customers is the one way to get fired from a plum gig like this and Cuck Wendigo chose to do that. He could advise people not to be stupid and not to do the stupid shit he did to get fired from the only job an utterly shitty writer like him could have kept indefinitely had he not tarded out.

hot hot leg

leg so hot u fry an eg
What is it with these soy-types and writing and acting like they're retards? Wendig, Josh from RLM and I know a handful in real life too. All of them fat, balding, in their 40s with beards who unironically use the word "puppers" and act like zany children instead of having an actual personality.
It's one of the ways they signal that they are weak and harmless.

Water-T

Tess Holliday front butt
True & Honest Fan

View attachment 1701558

Those who can't, teach.