Cinemassacre / Angry Video Game Nerd / Rex Viper / Screenwave / Slobs / etc. Grieving Thread - From being copied to copying others (including even Chris Bores himself who is actually doing better lmao), no time to make better content, sorry have to be done by 5:40, no view, I refuse!

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

THE MERGE IS ON.

Which videos do you like the most from Cinemassacre?

• Angry Video Game Nerd

Votes: 372 61.5%
  • You Know Whats Bullshit

Votes: 22 3.6%
  • James and Mike Mondays

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Board James

Votes: 75 12.4%
  • Monster Madness

Votes: 85 14.0%
  • James' movie reviews

Votes: 36 6.0%

• Total voters

Geralt of Rivia

Balls deep in sorceresses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Overall a decent episode, but definitely could have been better. The housekeeping scene did make me choke on my drink and laugh, that one caught me off guard. The "B-Dubs" joke was way overdone though, wasn't even funny the first time.

I sort of forgot all the cringe VHS stuff that came out during that time, seeing this reminds me of all the good times and bad times with those old cassette tapes.

Last edited:

Pickle Dick

Barb-Chan Stan ❤❤❤
kiwifarms.net
Did Chris Bores play a part in making this episode? I'm not even trying to make a joke, because holy shit this was a dreadful boring episode with nothing in it. Probably the worst AVGN episode I've seen.
It's not even bad in a cringy way (like the second halves of the Shrek and Vegas episodes, Sega Activator, Life of Black Tiger...), it's just boring bad.
You meant Kieran watched as a kid, right? Because James doesn't give a fuck about the scripts anymore.

Are you going to assume James is nostalgic for cheap Resident Evil knock-offs for the Playstation too?
I would try my best to refute that, but I think I'd have to agree. The videos where he focuses on video game magazines, while not playing a game or game console, does show he's given more to work with because he clearly has more nostalgia for those things.

I wouldn't totally rule out that James might've seen those videos as a kid, but he just doesn't show as much interest in those like the Nintendo Power magazines and the other video game magazines.

Geralt of Rivia

Balls deep in sorceresses.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah admittedly, the VHS tapes were funnier than James (and the writing) was here. It could have possibly made the episode a little better to actually show more of it instead of aimlessly narrating over the whole thing with no goal in mind.

The housekeeping scene was really the only thing that got a chuckle out of me.

As for the whole if James have seen these VHS tapes as a kid, he has mentioned before that he did rent tapes like that for game tips from Blockbuster as a kid, but as for these, I kinda doubt that one.

Quantum Diabetes

Corbinfundme.gout
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh god, I just took a peak at Hack the Movies. It's exactly like the Nerd Crew videos Red Letter Media makes.
It's getting recommended to me more and more, can they pay to get recommended more on YouTube?
Until recently, I thought Rolling Rock was a brand that was only around where AVGN lives IRL.

:thinking:
It's cheap pissbeer one tier above Pabst Blue Ribbon or Keystone light.
Back in my sports bar days they'd have bucket specials of various pisstier beers on different nights so we'd try them all. This was back when you could play Ntn poker and see Jim Rome on the bar tvs.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The ending skit fell completely flat because he was making fun of the way the guy talks, despite not showing off enough of his voice for the audience to get sick of it. And like, most of the video was just footage from the tape, most of which I looked away from, with James just explaining what's going on.

This felt like something JonTron would cover, and do so much of a better job with.

Cozy Atari Sports-era AVGN is dead (:_(

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
The clips he showed of the videos was funny. Did they just not show more because of some copyright shit? Show me of that low-budget 90s cheese.
Until recently, I thought Rolling Rock was a brand that was only around where AVGN lives IRL.

:thinking:
I remember always laughing whenever I saw it at gas stations or restaurants when I was a teenager. I felt cool when I was 21 and finally bought some Rolling Rock (begged my friends to buy other things when I was underage) and then when I drank it I realized it's like a slightly better Budweiser or Miller or Coors. Now, Rolling Rock actually is from Pennsylvania where AVGN lives. He also drinks Yeungling in some episodes which a cool college professor I had from Pennsylvania told me is a landmark of Pennsylvania culture (their history BTW is fascinating with their resistance to Prohibition). I drank that too (at a restaurant) and realized it's the same damn thing. Just really mediocre beer.

I maintain that it's hilarious how over a decade ago, AVGN had to post on his site that he's not endorsed by any beer brands since video games are too "child-adjacent" to advertise around. They were without a doubt right since I know I'm not only AVGN fan who drank Rolling Rock or Yeungling because AVGN did. He's probably the best advertisement they ever had and god knows how much underage drinking AVGN inspired.

Mr. Awesome Man

My username sucks
kiwifarms.net
AVGN had to post on his site that he's not endorsed by any beer brands since video games are too "child-adjacent" to advertise around.
So they were afraid of kids seeing advertisements for beer while hearing James swear like a sailor in every single AVGN episode?
Great priorities right there, advertising agencies.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
So they were afraid of kids seeing advertisements for beer while hearing James swear like a sailor in every single AVGN episode?
Great priorities right there, advertising agencies.
It's lawsuit-related thanks to controversies over alcohol advertising or similar shit like Joe Camel. Can't pay a guy to drink your beer and swear at games meant for kids, because someone decades later might sue you, if some anti-alcohol advertising group doesn't first. I guess you're only allowed to advertise for football and other sports, where clearly no one under 21 will be watching since the young people don't care about sports or something.

James did the advertising for free since his videos (which were watched mostly by preteens/teens back in the day) undoubtedly produced many sales for Rolling Rock over the years. I have no idea how much contact James or anyone else ever had with Rolling Rock, Yeungling, or any other brewery/their parent corporations, but it seems likely they rebuffed him with their policy about ads and sponsorship and he decided to do it for free. Maybe it was a cheap beer he liked and decided to make a part of the character, I don't know.

I wish he was sponsored though, especially nowadays. At least he tries to be in character with those VPN in-video ads (the best was on the recent Simpsons episode, that actually incorporated the ad into the video), but if AVGN were being paid to pitch me some shitty beer, I know it would be a lot funnier. Even the Screenwave guys couldn't fuck up an in-video commercial of AVGN trying to sell the viewer some shitty pisswater.

Michael Jacks0n

You know I'm bad, I'm bad.
kiwifarms.net
James did the advertising for free since his videos (which were watched mostly by preteens/teens back in the day) undoubtedly produced many sales for Rolling Rock over the years.
Another thing to consider too is that early AVGN was never meant to be shown to a broad audience, and it was just a one-off character he created for a video series for his friends. In fact he was called Angry Nintendo Nerd, and he made a small handful of episodes with the sole purpose of putting on his old website and showing his friends at college. Eventually it got really big from there and he just ran with the character.