Cleopatra should be played by a black actor – but not just because it might be more accurate - Woke Journalist advocates for Cleopatra to be played by a black woman just for diversity

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

ZehnBoat

american burnout
kiwifarms.net
Lady Gaga and Angelina Jolie may be in the running for the role, but casting a BAME actor is the only way to achieve anything close to equality within the film industry
how 'bout, instead of bitching for more random blacks playing characters for no reason
push hollywood to start making movies with black characters that WILL be played by black people?

I'm fine with that, that sounds neat. go to a library, open a fucking book that isn't harry potter and learn about famous blacks and start pushing for movies about them.

does anyone know about the underground railroad? BAM, MAIN CHARACTER IS A BLACK WOMAN.

Glad I couldn't help

Oh hai
kiwifarms.net
I would love a historical docu-drama about the Solominids of Ethiopia or Mansa Musa, or hell even one about the Christianization of Kongo.

There's a rich history full of fascinating people that isn't ever explored on television.

I will never understand why "woke" types want to change existing historical figures in media, rather than campaign for historical shows about the larger than life figures in their own race

how 'bout, instead of bitching for more random blacks playing characters for no reason
push hollywood to start making movies with black characters that WILL be played by black people?

I'm fine with that, that sounds neat. go to a library, open a fucking book that isn't harry potter and learn about famous blacks and start pushing for movies about them.

does anyone know about the underground railroad? BAM, MAIN CHARACTER IS A BLACK WOMAN.

This would require actual learning and reading non-Harry Potter books, so it will never be.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I will just add to the cacophany. Cleopatra was part of the Ptolomaic dynasty, founded by Ptolemey, one of Alexander the Greats generals. They also bent ass backwards to keep their Macedonian blood pure to separate themselves from the semitic and maghrebi people of Egypt. Who also were not black btw. This meant a ton of sister and cousin fucking.

Tl:dr WE WUZ KANGS

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
The 'journalist' (a real stretch to call her that when she outright states she doesn't know shit because muh research is just too much to ask), Biba Kang, looks like a walking void.

But at least the comments on her twitter and the article call this shit out as dumb. Surprised at the lack of wokeness praising her.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bibakang

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A couple of years ago one of the national networks in Finland said they'd be producing a biopic about one of the country's greatest heroes, Field Marshal Mannerheim from WWII

So how do they go about this? Hire a bunch of Kenyans to do a Kenyan interpretation of the man and let them make the whole thing. Maximum wokeness achieved.

I'm sure there are interesting stories to tell about things that black Africans have done so why not produce those?
They filmed it in Subsaharan Africa, too. Make movie about the Winter War, but film it in the equatorial tropics where it never snows.

Doctor Doom

kiwifarms.net
If someone wants to make a "based on real history" work of fiction where the signers of the Declaration of Independence all had Superman powers, or were all cyborgs, or all black, have at it. It's fiction. Forcing this sort of thing on someone else's work because it doesn't match your fanfic is retarded.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
Can we just choose actors by their talant, not by their appearence? I think race and nation of actor matters if it's some king of documentary movie. I dont mind if black women will play Cleo, i don't want to see bad actor who was chosen by their lack of privilege and other political shit.

Not really because part of actors acting ability is their looks, plain and simple. I think we can all agree that most young child actors are pretty awful. They wooden, pain to work with and then there are all those child labor laws. Then why won’t movies and tv shows just give those roles to accomplished adults? Because no one will believe 50 year old being 5 no matter how good they are at acting, duh. Visuals including the actors are tools to tell a story, that’s why make up and costume departments exist. No matter how great an actor is they are both limited and gifted by their appearance.

I’m not interested at slightest to see a black Cleopatra because she is an actual historical person and she was not black, just like I’m not interested seeing an east asian Martin Luther King Jr. I don’t care what the actual rase of her actor is as long as they can pass as ethnically mediterranean because that was Cleopatra’s race and that’s the general pop culture image of her too. When portraying real people (outside of comedy) the actors should partly be chosen how close they look the actual person. I can see hiring a great actor that’s bit too old over a wooden look-a-like but there is a limit. Sure, we don’t know exactly how every historical person looked like before widespread usage of photographing but there are often some descriptions and reasonable guesses made from democratics of the time and place.

Tasty Tatty

toss a coin to your kiwi.
kiwifarms.net
It's basically what they did with Assassins Creed Odyssey though. There's that video about "Diversity and Inclusion" training the team got that told them straight out "muh inclusion" came before historical fact.

I'm sure there are interesting stories to tell about things that black Africans have done so why not produce those?

They know well historical black movies won't sell. Black Panther doesn't count because of the hype and because it's related to the MCU (I liked it, btw).

Thing is, either Hollywood risk having good movies about black people that aren't related to slavery and oppression (that's getting tiresome) or we have those movies made by Africans from Africa, which btw do exist and aren't that bad.

ZehnBoat

american burnout
kiwifarms.net
They know well historical black movies won't sell.
disagree, i think a movie based on a historical black person (inside africa or no) could sell well
they just need something good, and not go woke (if there's a black guy who's bad, don't make him white. if there's a good guy who's white, don't make him black. don't have DUH WHITES R EBIL the main message. don't do the magic nature-loving all-round-good negro thing.) just treat the people like people.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
disagree, i think a movie based on a historical black person (inside africa or no) could sell well
they just need something good, and not go woke (if there's a black guy who's bad, don't make him white. if there's a good guy who's white, don't make him black. don't have DUH WHITES R EBIL the main message. don't do the magic nature-loving all-round-good negro thing.) just treat the people like people.
So they have to invent some story? Or white wash aterrorist like they did in invictus?

"bobby Knows Best; the Simbabwe-story" a heartwarming tale about a oppressed man who ended hunger in his home country by expelling the evil white males.

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net
Historically accurate Cleopatra!11111!
17-CTEK-2525-FightthePower-BlackSuperheroesonFilm-queenofthedamned-613x463.jpg

Queen Elizabeth II

Mommy
kiwifarms.net
Hotel Rwanda was pretty terrible tbh, I'm not suprised it didn't put off a few directors from wanting another go at it.

But what is wrong with Hollywood being Western centric? Should we all be triggered that Bollywood productions are about Indian concerns or that Chinese language productions are usually stories for people in *Shock* China?

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
If you're really that determined, why not do a film on some actual black figure in history? I mean, Cleopatra has been done so many freaking times -- why reinvent the wheel?

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net

A movie about that exploratory fleet from Mali that vanished into the west hemisphere would be cool, and a heavy dose of KANGZ would actually be warranted.

Hotel Rwanda was pretty terrible tbh, I'm not suprised it didn't put off a few directors from wanting another go at it.

But what is wrong with Hollywood being Western centric? Should we all be triggered that Bollywood productions are about Indian concerns or that Chinese language productions are usually stories for people in *Shock* China?
I guess it's the hypocrisy. That they pretend to be worldly and culturally aware while actually being incredibly inward looking, ignorant, and self absorbed.