• ”I think this is the only site where you can get drunken prank called by a mod and then banned for getting mad.”

Climate Change and its eventual effectsLol get fucked Gaia

Discussion in 'Deep Thoughts' started by d12, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:20 AM.

Forum Guidelines

This forum is for deep thoughts and more serious discussion. Please be mindful when challenging someone's opinions and beliefs.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards.
    1. Hello friends! Recently I've been pondering as I sometimes do and the concept of climate change came into my mind. I feel that climate change seems to be one of the issues that people tend to compartmentalize and toss aside for more pressing matters such as the increase in domestic shootings or the imminent declaration of marshal law by the cursed Dr*mph. Despite that, I feel that changing climate is something that will seriously affect all of the world in the decades to come. My question to you is how do you think the changing climate will effect the world and the way we as people live in it?

• Agree  x 2
      • Disagree  x 2
      • Autistic  x 2
      •  x 1
      • DRINK  x 1
      • Horrifying  x 1
      d12

d12 It's a faaaaaaake

kiwifarms.net
    2. Either the U.S. or China will start working on genetically modifying a strain of plants to grow at an extreme rate and oxygen fix at stupid-fast speeds, which country it will be will depend on if the U.S. can oust the big gay hippies fast enough to implement real change or if the Chinese get tired of waiting and make it a national project on account of their horrid air quality.
      Alternatively, one of Signapore's many many cutting-edge microbiological labs will culture a super-hostile version of phytoplankton like you would have seen in the Paleogene and force the ocean to wake up again.
      Alternatively, current research on carbon-capturing biodegradable substances will advance to a stage where proposed solutions can be implemented; ideally, this would turn greenhouse gas back into fuel in one fell swoop.
      Alternatively, we just go nuclear and use electric cars/factories at an inscrutably minimal cost and let the environment's natural stabilizing forces fix the problem over time
      Alternatively, we keep steady on this course and start bio-engineering the increasingly-wet inland deserts into viable environments and enjoy having a whole lot more beachfront property and having huge landmasses like Siberian Russia or Canada be nearly livable again.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
      kiwifarms.net
    3. Wasn't this the plot of a tom clancy novel? release enormous amounts of gas into the atmosphere, turn Siberia into farmland. downside being turning other places into deserts, but oh well.

kiwifarms.net
    4. There will be some wars over water in the future. The Himalayan glaciers are disappearing, and with them the seasonal meltwater runoff necessary for the spring planting, which is already being hotly contested by China, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, and everyone else in the region whose agriculture is dependent on irrigation from Himalayan tributary rivers. The Chinese got a head start by damming the waters upstream in their territory, but India is also working on some dams in the area, iirc.

millais

millais The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas

kiwifarms.net
    5. Climate change is going to happen whether you like it or not. Creating feel good legislation that is non-binding tells you all you need about how the "my god we are all going to die" crowd works.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
      Piss Clam

Piss Clam Squeeze me.

kiwifarms.net
    6. Personally i have faith in humanity's engineers to stabilize and maybe reverse this problem, we just need some political will and sadly that won't happen until a disaster happens. It will be a challenge the likes of which we've never seen, but the reward would be even greater mastery of nature.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
      Dreamland

Dreamland The face of progress

kiwifarms.net
    7. As much as I hate to go all "fuck drumpf" nothing will happen in America towards climate change as long as our president thinks it's a hoax.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Disagree Disagree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      Steve Mayers

Steve Mayers Nazi Punks Fuck Off

kiwifarms.net
    8. Different branches of government and all that.

As long as a decent enough company can get a decent enough government subsidy/contract from any of the numerous departments to create something, if they haven't already, then they're golden. The tricky parts is actually getting some results.

At this point in time, the majority of the first world countries have done what they could/want to without going to the extreme. People will keep investing in solar the cheaper it gets, buy electric cars the cheaper they get, etc etc. Technology is ever-improving, requiring less and less power to do the same or more/better.

The main problem makers, IMO, are the Asian "first world" countries such as India and China. Next to no regulation on anything and if there are any, no one cares. Thanks to China, I foresee the entirety of Africa getting the same treatment. Just watch one of those wonderful e-waste recycling videos that are based out of Africa; just beautiful.

But I'm a potato and can survive nearly anything, so eat me.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Feels Feels x 1
      Derp Potato

Derp Potato Just a Spud doing spud things

kiwifarms.net
    9. Emission mitigation isn't some magic solution, especially if the biggest contributors are non-compliant. To be clear, that's the area of most contention at this point, along with the economic ramifications.
      The science of Geoengineering has been stalwartly marching on since its inception in the mid-late 80s, totally unconcerned with the politics of other climate sciences and attempts to shut it down. It outsurvived buttmad fundies worried about tampering with God's green earth, it is surviving mitigation bureaucrats out for a buck and their feels, and it will survive Trump.
      If anything, his relative ignorance on the subject and bravado could be an advantage. If someone tells him he single-handedly can fix the climate with 250bn and slap that onto his Presidential resume, he'll see it as a free win and jump, personal convictions or no. A professional or interested party would see that it's not their 100% perfect cure-all they've been chasing for decades and shut it down immediately, regardless of the ramifications.

• Agree Agree x 1
      kiwifarms.net
    • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
    This website may contain offensive or adult content.
    Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
    All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
    We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.