Closed Species - Pay $500 to draw a bedazzled fox

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Sangria

click stealth rock
kiwifarms.net
While I was browsing the furry character reference thread, I noticed that an increasing quantity of posts focused on closed species. In order to prevent the subject matter from overriding the thread, I decided that the Closed Species community warranted a thread of its own.

Closed Species are fictional species that require artists to pay to create and/or use characters of that species. Common among furries, they have become notorious for typically being unoriginal eyesores, the exorbitant prices their creators charge for them, and the drama that pervades these communities, with frequent slapfights over characters looking similar to pay-to-use species. Closed Species are typically found on Deviantart, a breeding ground for lolcows, though they can be found on other social media sites with a large presence of artists as well.

Some of the more infamous closed species include...

Dainties are essentially satyrs, but with stockings that are part of their skin.
unnamed.png
Dainties are often used by detractors of Closed Species as an example of the unoriginality that pervades the community. The creator of Dainties, Pajuxi, has become notorious for their controlling nature over their species, namely with their strictness over designs (they only allow 3 hairstyles/eye colors). Pajuxi is also known for hiding any criticism that pops up on her page, rendering her comment sections into personal hugboxes. They've also crossed over with the controversial Mignyan species, as detailed below.
Scarfoxes are stylized fox-like dolls with scarves for arms, hence the name.
dds9msl-a1ad1cd0-008c-4994-a12f-7b5b9d101dfa.png
The species is notable for the rabidness of its community, as they claim that any character with scarf-arms is a ripoff of Scarfoxes, despite the concept existing long before the species. Among the most notable examples of this is the drama surrounding Edgar, a border collie with scarf-arms. The artist, broken-aviator, was banned from the Scarfox group without warning and subsequently faced harassment from the mods.
tumblr_inline_p9fac0pvB61sent1a_540.jpg
Primagens are vaguely draconic cyborg furries. They are considered a premium version of the similar, free-to-use Protogen species, as while they cost money to use they don't have as many design restrictions (i.e. Primagens can have feral forms and electronic ears while Protogens can't).
392e90392c0fd8016d9c10400d738e224b72e301_hq.jpg

Both species have faced criticism for the arbitrary restrictions imposed on their designs, even among the Primagens. If you made an "illegal" Prima/Protogen, then the creator, cool.koinu (aka malice-risu on FA) would blacklist you and then use their connections to ensure that other artists would refuse to draw your character. There was a trend in which artists rebelled against the creator's rules, and made Protogens that broke the design rules (i.e. giving Protogens wings and electronic ears).
Bagbeans are a monkey-like race that inhabit the world of Griffia, the setting of an action RPG that nobody cares about.
bagbeans_species_sheet___closed_species_by_griffsnuff_da5eph9-pre.jpg
Despite the seemingly innocuous veneer of the community, it is mired in endless drama thanks to griffsnuff's hilariously incompetent leadership. For example, in late 2018 there was an uproar over some changes made to the RPG, such as (to my understanding) the changes to events resulting in members losing their prizes and benefits from previous events. Additionally, the mods' deflection of criticism in the replies was also criticized. This lead to many Bagbeans members leaving the community. Just a few months later, another update which removed a core feature of the RPG was released, once again receiving harsh backlash due to in part the rashness of griffsnuff's decision. A petition was even created to reverse the change, though it seems as though it was unsuccessful.

Apart from her incompetence as a leader, griffsnuff is also a bit of a lolcow herself. She's essentially admitted to being proud of her status as a womanchild. At one point, she was a fox otherkin, and (unsuccessfully) tried to create another branch of otherkin known as "momentians", which were basically people who felt like an animal for five minutes at a time. She also used her popularity to sell a literal rock with wings for $50.
Mignyans are Not Headcrabs that parasitize various monster boys/girls, often adding an overdesigned eye/teeth motif to them.
species_lore_by_mignyan_masterlist_de8iavp-fullview.jpg

Similar to Bagbeans, Mignyans are constantly embroiled in drama thanks to the incompetency of their owners. The original creator of this species, CASIN0S, allowed minors into NSFW spaces as well as for NSFW art to be drawn of an underage Mignyan owned by a then-14 y/o. Additionally, despite claiming to be uncomfortable with military-themed characters she owned a character designed after Imperial Japanese spies. After she was ousted from the community, the new owners proved themselves to be painfully strict, namely by blacklisting someone for having a Mignyan that was a mad doctor known as an "angel of death", accusing them of being antisemitic.
Dutch Angel Dragons: Among the more infamous closed species, Dutch Angel Dragons are pretty much just fluffy dragons with an angelic motif. There is an immense amount of drama in the community, ranging from the strict guidelines (i.e. no muzzle rings and you can't sexualize them, though nobody ever listens to the latter) to the roleplays that involve them. They have their own thread.
6930f2_62bba78010054c8c8f3e586146030206~mv2_d_1271_1662_s_2.png

Sushi Dogs/Sooshes: Fluffy dogs often combined with food. The creator has filed an actual trademark for the species. I'm not joking.
7f8d2d4a6811f7d7988cc542dba3e4fd.jpg
Gembuns: Literally just humans with rabbit ears that have gems in them.
end me.png

SoulFoxes - Foxes with wispy soul tails.
closed_species__soulfox_reference__outdated__by_setsaii_d8nss3l-pre.jpg
Chloria: Flowery fox boys whose name sounds like a disease.
artflow_201410272227_by_aquacatz_d84mgmi-fullview.jpg

chloria__1___havel_abiel_by_aquacatz_d850wuk-fullview.jpg

Sergals: Though technically not a closed species, the Sergal community still deserves a mention for the sheer amount of autism it contains. Sergals are what's known as a "semi-open" species; that is, anyone can create one but they have to adhere to strict and often arbitrary guidelines. If you so much as slightly stray from canon, then the community will descend upon you in the most retarded way possible. Like the Dutchies above, they have their own thread.
Sergals.jpg

Closed Species are also known for the high prices they may fetch. For example, one user payed $1500 in an auction for an overdesigned character of the Mignyan species.
webp.png

Damaged.png

Thanks to Chao Garden for originally finding this
Another species that fetches a high price tag are the Shadowmonsters, incredibly overdesigned Gaia Online/Gacha Life characters whose costs tend to start at $1,200.
AAAAAAAA.PNG

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAx2.PNG
There's also been reports of the above-mentioned Primagens selling for upwards of $1,200, while Scarfoxes tend to fetch anywhere between $700 to $1,200.

Now you may be wondering, "What's stopping me from making my own faun with stockings or cyborg fluffy dragon? Can't I just slap a different label on it?". Well, you're right. Closed Species are not protected by copyright; at most, creators can file trademarks on the species' name and traits, as is the case with Sushi Dogs. Even then, one can still design their own fluffy food dog, you just can't call it a Sushi Dog. In fact, there's a bit of a cottage industry of off-brand closed species (archive), often with generic names:
donut.png

A "Furmeleon", a poor man's Chimereon.

jelligoos__closed__by_cl0s3d_sp3ci3s_dbkt6gi-fullview.png

"Jelligoos", which are a rip-off of Gastrosnaps.
custom_designs_layout_by_tommyboyio_dbgfaw9-fullview.png

"Curlydogs", which are totally not cinnadogs. In fact, the original version of this species were almost identical to cinnadogs:
customs_for_limecatdraws_by_redpandaa11_ddlntwx-fullview.jpg
However, they gotta enforce those $1000+ price tags somehow. If you dare to make your own angelic dragon, then be prepared for a shitstorm of social shaming. Many of the artists that produce major closed species are well-known among their ilk, and if they catch you drawing something even remotely similar to their donut steel fluffy foxes, then they will "blacklist" you, get their cult to tear you a new one, and tell their artist buddies to not draw anything for you.

If you want to hunt down other closed species, simply search "Closed Species" on a site with a large artist presence. Deviantart, Inkbunny, Fur Affinity and toyhou.se are good hunting grounds especially.
Have fun

Last edited:

Sangria

click stealth rock
kiwifarms.net
It's an alright start but try looking into the creator for each species. They tend to have the most drama surrounding them as they get intensely ass mad over someone using their Oregano Character Donut Steal(tm)
Thanks, I'll work on that now. If anyone has any info on the creators of any of these species (especially for the first three), then I'll add it to the thread. I'm having some issues digging up information on them, though it could be because it's my first thread and I've never done anything like this before.

Last edited:

Coelacanth

Your local living [[BIG SHOT!!!!!]]
kiwifarms.net
Finally someone made a thread - about time the Closed Species community got a place of their own here because the autism that comes from this place is staggering.

If I may recommend something to help flesh out the OP a little bit: post some species that had a huge shitstorm of drama around it such as Griffsnuff fucking up her Bagbean group that caused most of the members of her group to leave in protest. A lot of it was brought up in the Character Reference thread which would definitely give people a good idea of how bad things are handled in Closed Species groups.

tesarus

peace through anarchy
kiwifarms.net
i mean, if you were good at art and vaguely creative you would sell that too right?

closed species as a concept has always bothered me. people can copyright a design if they relly wanted to go through the hoops but unless they've done that, they've no right to say "you can't use xyz on the species because i Made them and you didn't"

Spedestrian

Cruelty Sped
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It seems like a good topic, and I like what you've written so far, but as others have said the OP really needs more examples/drama to show us why these people are funny. The concept of people buying and selling $1500 OC Donut Steels is inherently funny, sure, but if that's all there is to it then the thread doesn't really have any room to grow. Show us that there are some rich veins of autistic gold running beneath this community so that we have a reason to go digging for more.

Yellow Yam Scam

I'm Russian, doctor. We understand these things.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't get how closed species work. How does the creator stop anyone from copying their species without paying? Copyright/ip laws shouldn't matter since Deviantart is full of fan art and nobody bats an eye.

And is there any actual demand for using the species? Or are these just cases of a creator saying "you have to pay $1000 to use my species" even though no one wants to use them even for free.

Sangria

click stealth rock
kiwifarms.net
Finally someone made a thread - about time the Closed Species community got a place of their own here because the autism that comes from this place is staggering.

If I may recommend something to help flesh out the OP a little bit: post some species that had a huge shitstorm of drama around it such as Griffsnuff fucking up her Bagbean group that caused most of the members of her group to leave in protest. A lot of it was brought up in the Character Reference thread which would definitely give people a good idea of how bad things are handled in Closed Species groups.
Just added that because holy shit I didn't realize how much drama surrounded them and especially their creator. I probably missed a lot, so let me know what I should add.

It seems like a good topic, and I like what you've written so far, but as others have said the OP really needs more examples/drama to show us why these people are funny. The concept of people buying and selling $1500 OC Donut Steels is inherently funny, sure, but if that's all there is to it then the thread doesn't really have any room to grow. Show us that there are some rich veins of autistic gold running beneath this community so that we have a reason to go digging for more.
I've been working on that, starting with the Bagbeans example. I've mostly been having some trouble with finding drama surrounding Dainties, Scarfoxes, and Primagens, though again I'm new to seeking out such information. I'll definitely look into finding drama on other species.

BoobWhiskers

I don't give a shit how anomalous these images are
kiwifarms.net
Oh man, Closed Species are an absolute neverending shitshow of drama and I cannot WAIT to see how things unfold here; it's a huge topic though, so catching it all in one thread may be tough.

A lot of the different species and their communities are super incestuous in terms of userbase, and a LOT of the good drama goes down in the respective discords, which most species have. There's basically two halves of the Closed Species community, twenty/thirty-something female NEETS who obsessively hoard designs, and tweens who get caught up in the insane power struggles; because it's a population comprised of people with no life and a lot of emotional investment in the 'community' of various species, interpersonal drama is huge and messy, and people get way too into it and start minor wars. The servers have blacklists of people who get banned from species for inane petty shit, and they all stalk each other all over the goddamn place once someone is 'unpersoned'.

Another big source of drama is centered around 'species traits', basically the premise with a lot of these species is you either pay a bunch of money to get an Official Design, or you pay money to Make Your Own (MYO) out of a list of 'traits' of various rarities. The traits are usually super, SUPER generic (made of x food, generic shape in ear, shit with flowers, etc) but people absolutely lose their shit about defending their super original list of traits that comprise a species and will go to war if they think someone else has made a species too close to theirs. As mentioned previously, a lot of them are literally just... catboys/catgirls with flowers/sparkles/etc etc, once you've seen enough you can kind of make a list of the shit you see in traits for every species out there. There's also all sorts of insanity if you've come into possession of one of these characters in the form of rules you have to follow, having to do with limitations on what you can do with it, alter about it, how you can or can't sell or trade it, who's allowed to be in possession of it, and crediting the creator of the species on any depiction of it in any context.

There's just... a lot.

Good places to find this sort of shit is on DA, to some extent on Furaffinity, and a lot of it's on Toyhou.se as well.

If you want a pretty good example of 'this is the best grift in the world', here's a high-priced species called 'Annies''. The premise is that each one has a 'blessing' of a plant or animal, so it's... an anime girl with a kind of vague theme of whatever plant or animal it has. They sell for hundreds of dollars (but don't worry, they take payment plans for these pixels!!). Some people sell 'co-ownership' (meaning I guess you can sayyou own it, but so do other people?) for hundreds of dollars. I highly recommend going and peeking through the gallery and see some of the amounts they're going for. https://www.deviantart.com/anniverse
(an example, bought for $950)

Digital Thunder

Red and Overhired
kiwifarms.net
If you want a pretty good example of 'this is the best grift in the world', here's a high-priced species called 'Annies''. The premise is that each one has a 'blessing' of a plant or animal, so it's... an anime girl with a kind of vague theme of whatever plant or animal it has. They sell for hundreds of dollars (but don't worry, they take payment plans for these pixels!!). Some people sell 'co-ownership' (meaning I guess you can sayyou own it, but so do other people?) for hundreds of dollars. I highly recommend going and peeking through the gallery and see some of the amounts they're going for. https://www.deviantart.com/anniverse
Holy shit, this is golden. As much as I was already aware of species shenanigans, that (and the Bagbeans) are eye-openers for how ridiculous these get not just price-wise but lore-wise. Why do re-incarnated animal-flower-people need lore so extensive it covers a postal system (A) and interspecies slavery (A)?

Last edited:

The Spice boi

I live for customer service
kiwifarms.net
I've been waiting ages for a thread on Closed Species

Honestly, I'm kind of impressed. Imagine being able to make thousands of dollars out of a glob of visual vomit, and the general stupidity of people craving attention and status. Hilarity ensues

Hoping this thread gets off the ground

Chao Garden

BRIDGET IS A BOY
kiwifarms.net
oh fuck YES I've been waiting for this thread
One interesting thing you could mention is the offbrands/closed species revolt. Basically some people make offbrand versions of species, usually because the actual species itself is too hard to get (which most of the time they are because they're so overpriced). Usually they have some sort of generic name like "curly tail dog" or something. it's kind of like generic brands vs name brands at the grocery store
jelligoos__closed__by_cl0s3d_sp3ci3s_dbkt6gi-fullview.png

offbrand gastrosnaps or whatever they're called
chiba_the_furmeleon_by_cxtmelon_dd7ids1-fullview.png

offbrand chimeron
customs_for_limecatdraws_by_redpandaa11_ddlntwx-fullview.jpg

offbrand cinnadog