Cloudflare's Down -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had outages for 4chan and desuarchive but not for here.

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
Do the addresses differ based on website or region?
Yes. If you try to connect to a cloudflare protected site your request will be bounced around a bunch of different caches depending on your region and the region of the server you actually want to reach.

tehpope

Ever had a crystal ball?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought my internet was dying for a few minutes. It was like someone was downloading a ton of "Linux ISOs". Just very slow performance.

• Feels
Reactions: Aberforth

AnaV

Unavailable for a long, long time.
kiwifarms.net
So who’s this going to be spun towards, place your bets now!

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-outage-on-july-17-2020/
The outage occurred because, while working on an unrelated issue with a segment of the backbone from Newark to Chicago, our network engineering team updated the configuration on a router in Atlanta to alleviate congestion. This configuration contained an error that caused all traffic across our backbone to be sent to Atlanta. This quickly overwhelmed the Atlanta router and caused Cloudflare network locations connected to the backbone to fail.

Irrelevant

kiwifarms.net
CloudFlare is actually pretty shit and has a major outage like every six months so I don't know why a business would use them. They only got popular due to the fact you can use them as a reverse proxy for free DDoS, DMCA, etc protection which is useful for hobby places like KF, piracy sites, etc.

There is no excuse for legit companies like Discord not to pay for some proper DNS hosting or load balancing or whatever they use CF for. What kind of person decides to use CF over something like AWS when downtime means lost money.

Even as a home user the outages are so common you can't use CF DNS servers without servers from someone else setup as an alternate. I can't remember a time when all of Google's DNS servers went down at once but it happened a couple times with CF.

Last edited:
Tags
None