Coffee - gween tea

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Lol are you telling me that drinking caffeinated coffee doesn’t immediately result in a 5 hour panic attack, the shivers, followed by consecutive trips to the bathroom?

How are any of you even coping with drinking caffeine? I want that skill and I’m jealous.
After decades of experience...
I drink a 'Euorpean' pot of coffee every day. I try to pull back, but, yeah...
(60 oz)
I have doubled that previously, but tbh, 120oz is too much.

PuffyGroundCloud

nu nuu nuuu~
kiwifarms.net
I usually prefer naturally processed Ethiopian coffee beans (shit naturally tastes so sweet to my bitter palate) so I take it black. Preferred method of brewing is either V60 or frenchpress depending on level of laziness, time crunch, and volume needed.
What’s the good brand for Ethiopian coffee?

asr

kiwifarms.net
In terms of brands? IDK there's a few variables to good coffee in general that you should consider to keep yourself from getting fleeced because in the speciality coffee world it's basically snake oil all the way down.

* First thing is region, this can effect how the coffee will taste if you can pick up on it, which generally I think people can if they're used to drinking it black and haven't had their palate shifted by eating many sugary things).

*Next is method of processing, don't be fooled by fancy sounding terms there's mainly 2 types natural ( where the cherry pulp is left on the bean for a few days and left in the sun to ferment) or washed (where the pulp is removed and washed off the bean). these methods of processing taste different objectively speaking due to that fermentation process, natural tastes sweeter, more berry like, even smells like berries under certain conditions. You can buy world class beans for like 3-6 dollars a pound from places like sweetmarias, only issue is that they're unroasted, this is where the snake oil and up charge comes in.

*Roast is the next major important thing, a dark roasted coffee will taste like any other dark roasted coffee because it's basically speaking burnt. Starbucks, dunkin donuts, etc all love this because this is what gives that uniform "coffee" taste, it's easy to do on shit beans because it's just burning them. Medium roast tends (tends is the key word because taste is very subjective) to take some of the individuality of the bean and trade it off in favor of more nutty and generally sweeter taste, this is good because if the bean is from a shit lot, or it was a bad year you can still get good taste by compromising, many specialty roasters like this because it's the middle of the road option. The last is Light, this preserves the most of the beans individuality in terms of flavor profile (this of course depends on processing, region, soil, altitude, etc). Like everything else there are trade offs, this will taste the most unique, might even actually taste amazing and not even like "coffee" but it all depends on the bean, and who roasted which is the next part here.

The Roaster as the name implies is the person/entity choosing all of the above for you, roasting it for you and charging you for it, this is where specialty coffee shops will fleece you, good beans they'll charge you prices in the range of 12-22 USD for a 12oz bag of beans. While admittedly roasting is a bit of an art and a science (maillard reaction, dealing with temp curves, etc) that price might not be worth it to you as someone who is presumably new to this (imo the real take is to roast your own coffee, over time it's the cheapest way and allows to you tailor your experience to the highest degree outside of growing the bean yourself)

TLDR: I use happy mug.com they don't up charge by an insane degree (if their Ethiopian harrar is in stock get it, because it's the one of the best examples of what speciality coffee can be, it actually smells and tastes like blueberries) you can get 1 lb for like 12 USD, 2 lb for about 25 (that includes shipping which is fedex or US postal service 3 day)

A few last things to keep in mind, you can have the world's greatest beans but they won't do well (depending on the method of brewing) without a proper grinder, so that speech grinder? you're wasting your money buying that on good beans because you're gimping yourself. Also if you do pull the trigger on it, keep the beans in the resealable bag they come in and keep them away from sunlight (oxidation is a bitch over time). If you got any more questions lay it on me, as you can tell I'm a sperg for coffee.

somethingmcsomething

kiwifarms.net
Everything asr said and I'll add my .02 because I too, am a coffee tard.

Unless you're into folgers or starbucks, coffee is like wine, and there is a ton of variety. Not only area affects the bean, but the season as well. One year's offering may be very different than the other from the same grower. Anyway, you have a lot of options these days, since specialty coffee has exploded. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, check out some established roasters that have tried to move the industry forward, instead of just trying to create an empire. I haven't bought anything from Intelligentsia or Ritual or Blue Bottle in a long time, but they were some of the big players when I was.

One of my favorite is Klatch. They're out of the Inland Empire and have been around since before specialty coffee exploded. The whole family is in it. The daughter, Heather Perry is a champion barista, and they've maintained a solid place in the industry without trying to become the next Peet's. . I buy green coffee from them, and sometimes I'll buy a bag of their roasted coffee if it seems interesting.

Oh, and one important thing. If you do go for a roasted coffee, make sure you get coffee that's been roasted within a week. If there's no roast date, or it's weeks old, it's stale crap. Buying from a decent coffee shop, or online from a reputable roaster should get you the fresh shit.

asr

kiwifarms.net
Everything asr said and I'll add my .02 because I too, am a coffee tard.

Unless you're into folgers or starbucks, coffee is like wine, and there is a ton of variety. Not only area affects the bean, but the season as well. One year's offering may be very different than the other from the same grower. Anyway, you have a lot of options these days, since specialty coffee has exploded. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, check out some established roasters that have tried to move the industry forward, instead of just trying to create an empire. I haven't bought anything from Intelligentsia or Ritual or Blue Bottle in a long time, but they were some of the big players when I was.

One of my favorite is Klatch. They're out of the Inland Empire and have been around since before specialty coffee exploded. The whole family is in it. The daughter, Heather Perry is a champion barista, and they've maintained a solid place in the industry without trying to become the next Peet's. . I buy green coffee from them, and sometimes I'll buy a bag of their roasted coffee if it seems interesting.

Oh, and one important thing. If you do go for a roasted coffee, make sure you get coffee that's been roasted within a week. If there's no roast date, or it's weeks old, it's stale crap. Buying from a decent coffee shop, or online from a reputable roaster should get you the fresh shit.
I'd second klatch as well, you can actually talk to the founder of klatch, the father, on the home barista forums, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and good business sense. Fun fact stateside they've actually been trendsetters even, their espresso tonic (it's actually good drink, would recommend it) I remember him talking about experimenting with it and extraction yields ages ago before it caught on to the industry as a drink. To power level slightly I've been to almost all of their locations IRL and it's a good spot most outside of the smallest one they have.

awoo

Please be patient, I have awootism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm a basic bitch who just wants an iced latte that is vaguely coffee tasting . I go to my local coffee place a lot, but I wanted something I could make at home. At home I had a Keurig machine that could use K-cups or beans, but the beans would sometimes spill out due to a shitty coffee holder seal, and I refuse to buy k-cups because they feel like a scam.

So after some research I got coffee beans ground up at the local coffee place and a 3-cup moka pot by Bialetti for about $25. I thought it could be difficult to make coffee, but it's actually very simple and not any harder than putting grounds into the Keurig. Supposedly this is how "real Italians" make coffee which doesnt mean anything to me but sounds funny.

The coffee beans I liked the most were a little nutty and light-medium roast, but I found the beans were kinda expensive online so I haven't had since I bought a bag last year.

After decades of experience...
I drink a 'Euorpean' pot of coffee every day. I try to pull back, but, yeah...
(60 oz)
I have doubled that previously, but tbh, 120oz is too much.

Impressive. I thought the days when I drink two 20 oz lattes was a lot, and a lot of that is just milk and water.

ComStar

Your HPG provider since 2788
kiwifarms.net
I like coffee, but I wouldn't say i'm an aficionado or something like that.

I buy dark roasted beans and grind them, run them through my coffee machine and add milk. Occasionally toss in some cardamom and cinnamon.

I also love turkish coffee, served piping hot with lokum on the side. Black as night, sweet as love, strong like death

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I'm a basic bitch who just wants an iced latte that is vaguely coffee tasting . I go to my local coffee place a lot, but I wanted something I could make at home. At home I had a Keurig machine that could use K-cups or beans, but the beans would sometimes spill out due to a shitty coffee holder seal, and I refuse to buy k-cups because they feel like a scam.

So after some research I got coffee beans ground up at the local coffee place and a 3-cup moka pot by Bialetti for about $25. I thought it could be difficult to make coffee, but it's actually very simple and not any harder than putting grounds into the Keurig. Supposedly this is how "real Italians" make coffee which doesnt mean anything to me but sounds funny.

The coffee beans I liked the most were a little nutty and light-medium roast, but I found the beans were kinda expensive online so I haven't had since I bought a bag last year.

Impressive. I thought the days when I drink two 20 oz lattes was a lot, and a lot of that is just milk and water.
Work buys Starbucks coffee. I literally bring my own pot.
Combining Starbucks shit-tier coffee with shitty office percolators and poor pot hygiene (they never clean the pot!) ends up with a coffee horror show.

It literally smells like feet.
Turkish Feet.

Splinters RCVD ✞

Babylon comes, but there is hope!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I prefer coffee on its own, trying out different brands or types instead of mixing it with whatnot.
Also tried it with salt once, apparently in (some parts of?) Ethiopia that is how people drink it. For me, it was meh.
Then again, the natural rock salt they have there is probably different than the refined, shop-bought stuff. YMMV.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
I prefer coffee on its own, trying out different brands or types instead of mixing it with whatnot.
Also tried it with salt once, apparently in (some parts of?) Ethiopia that is how people drink it. For me, it was meh.
Then again, the natural rock salt they have there is probably different than the refined, shop-bought stuff. YMMV.
The salt trick is typically for instant. Old army trick, actually.

But I'll try it for Ethiopian roasts...

Fialovy

isekai'd to CWCville
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have had my espresso machine I got as a wedding gift for almost six months now and I must say, it is definitely my favorite gift. I like making lattes and flat whites with it, though I have been trying out Americanos whenever I run out of milk. I admit, I don't think I will go to drip coffee again, at least not from a cheap Mr. Coffee machine.

Only thing I don't like is there tends to be more bags of pre-ground coffee than beans which really sucks because grinding beans yourself is the way to go and also, there is a lot of pre-ground coffee that I like, but would be better if I could grind it myself so it is fresher. There is a really nice local brand of medium-dark roast that makes really good espresso though, of course it is a bit pricey.

I also have a French Press, but it is a bitch to clean so I never use it

Slav Power

dam mazapan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I drink this Guatemala coffee that's not the best single origin stuff possible but also not the worst, it's acceptable. I buy that shit in whole beans, put it through a hand grinder I got from Aliexpress, and then brew it in an AeroPress. Before I got the AP I was constantly using a moka pot, but then I found the AP to be more hassle-free. Only today I decided to go back to the moka pot. And after I'm done brewing it, I add some brown sugar and milk/cream.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Am I a weakling for exclusively liking cappuccinos with a ton of chocolate powder on top?

Everyone I talk to says they drink their coffee black because they're "badass" or whatever...
I can get behind that...
not everyday, but for a dessert treat , or a day when I want a little morning treat.
also, not a ton of chocolate. Maybe a large teaspoon.

I drink coffee black. I used to be a purest. Now I don't really GAF. No cream, though.

awoo

Please be patient, I have awootism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Am I a weakling for exclusively liking cappuccinos with a ton of chocolate powder on top?

Everyone I talk to says they drink their coffee black because they're "badass" or whatever...

I don't care for coffee purists and I'm definitely not one. That being said, I used to drink a lot more mochas but they were always too sweet like a dessert.