Coffee - gween tea

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

God of Nothing

kiwifarms.net
Am I a weakling for exclusively liking cappuccinos with a ton of chocolate powder on top?

Everyone I talk to says they drink their coffee black because they're "badass" or whatever...
I found the bitter taste to better help wake you up and let you actually taste the different flavors of coffee. I like cappuccinos, fraps, lattes, and mochas though.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Idk if it's my issue of drinking lattes but coffee has never woken me up. The only time it has is when I drank a straight cold brew. Maybe I just wasn't drinking enough.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
Idk if it's my issue of drinking lattes but coffee has never woken me up. The only time it has is when I drank a straight cold brew. Maybe I just wasn't drinking enough.
Undiluted cold brew has a higher concentration. Lattes are around 20% espresso, the caffeine content will be low.

Ophelia Jones

kiwifarms.net
I had the same problem with coffee, it wouldnt wake me up. People said its because your brain builds tolerance to caffeine. Apparently apples are good at waking people up. Personally however, I've never tried it.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
I had the same problem with coffee, it wouldnt wake me up. People said its because your brain builds tolerance to caffeine. Apparently apples are good at waking people up. Personally however, I've never tried it.
I haven't felt the effects of drinking it in over 10 years, I just love the taste.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's probably because an iced latte is barely any espresso. Maybe I have a little tolerance but I guess it's just because I like the coffee flavor more than I drink for energy.

69ing Ur Mom

Vulva Vacuum
kiwifarms.net
just learned of this site from you, their price per lb seems reasonable, thank you for posting this. Out of curiosity which coffee of theirs do you enjoy/would recommend?
I prefer black coffee with a medium roast that brings out stone fruit flavors. The Organic Honduran Marcala and Guatemalan Huehuetenango are my favorites.

I use a Hario V60 and a Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill "Skerton." The coffee mill can be adjusted for how fine of a grind you want. I spent around a week dialing it to match my pallet.

If you want a darker roast I would suggest the Organic Black Knight or Dark Roast Kenya AA.

It is worth it to order a few 12oz bags to figure out what you like. After you pick a coffee you like the most, buying a 2 pound or 5 pound bag will be a good value for what you get.

asr

kiwifarms.net
I prefer black coffee with a medium roast that brings out stone fruit flavors. The Organic Honduran Marcala and Guatemalan Huehuetenango are my favorites.

I use a Hario V60 and a Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill "Skerton." The coffee mill can be adjusted for how fine of a grind you want. I spent around a week dialing it to match my pallet.

If you want a darker roast I would suggest the Organic Black Knight or Dark Roast Kenya AA.

It is worth it to order a few 12oz bags to figure out what you like. After you pick a coffee you like the most, buying a 2 pound or 5 pound bag will be a good value for what you get.
I also mainly brew with a v60! But in terms of grinders, well that's a rabbit hole I've sunk deeply into, you know you've drank the kool aid or in this case the coffee, when you're looking at buying a Baratza vario plus and mod it as a serious option. I'm not really a fan of super dark roasts I will say though, I really enjoy light roasts, very light roasts actually, I'd recommend them for more fruity flavors, just be sure to use boiling water.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
I also mainly brew with a v60! But in terms of grinders, well that's a rabbit hole I've sunk deeply into, you know you've drank the kool aid or in this case the coffee, when you're looking at buying a Baratza vario plus and mod it as a serious option. I'm not really a fan of super dark roasts I will say though, I really enjoy light roasts, very light roasts actually, I'd recommend them for more fruity flavors, just be sure to use boiling water.
I have a Timemore C2 and a Baratza Encore. I'd highly suggest a high-end hand grinder vs electric if grind quality takes precedent over convenience for you. A hand grinder at the same price point as the Vario will probably outperform it.

asr

kiwifarms.net
I have a Timemore C2 and a Baratza Encore. I'd highly suggest a high-end hand grinder vs electric if grind quality takes precedent over convenience for you. A hand grinder at the same price point as the Vario will probably outperform it.
The comandante grinder is something I've toyed with in the past, it makes good cups, but i've also played with an EK43 with the old cast burrs, and baby those are something special! I've got a buddy who modded a steel burr Vario, and in all honesty for pour overs it was in the same I guess for lack of a better word weight class to me as the EK43, less complexity of flavors though. In that the flavors would change slightly as it cooled, but it was comparable in sweetness and pulling those origin notes. On a 300 refurb grinder (that they recently just updated to have basically the same internals as the forte) it blows hand grinders out of the water imo, but you need dirty your hands a little.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
The comandante grinder is something I've toyed with in the past, it makes good cups, but i've also played with an EK43 with the old cast burrs, and baby those are something special! I've got a buddy who modded a steel burr Vario, and in all honesty for pour overs it was in the same I guess for lack of a better word weight class to me as the EK43, less complexity of flavors though. In that the flavors would change slightly as it cooled, but it was comparable in sweetness and pulling those origin notes. On a 300 refurb grinder (that they recently just updated to have basically the same internals as the forte) it blows hand grinders out of the water imo, but you need dirty your hands a little.
I've never messed around with anything near that level. I envy you.

asr

kiwifarms.net
I've never messed around with anything near that level. I envy you.
I'm usually more of a pour over man, but espresso shots with an EK43 (cast burrs), with a longer ratio, man with some home roasted beans like drinking caffeinated syrup, highly addicting. If you can I would recommend trying it at least once. It was what convinced me that all coffee stuff isn't just gay snake oil.

Ged!

King of the Ged
kiwifarms.net
I drink folgers classic. Usually somewhere between 4-8 cups a morning, one teaspoon of sugar per 2 cups, or black if I'm out of sugar/can't be bothered.

What is the point of all the fancy grinders and beans and brewers? Unless it's just the taste, because if it's just the taste I couldn't care less.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
I drink folgers classic. Usually somewhere between 4-8 cups a morning, one teaspoon of sugar per 2 cups, or black if I'm out of sugar/can't be bothered.

What is the point of all the fancy grinders and beans and brewers? Unless it's just the taste, because if it's just the taste I couldn't care less.
Good beans + grind distribution + method of brew + good water = Optimally made coffee. If you don't care about the taste, then it isn't for you.

JoseRaulChupacabra

Nanananana. Nanananana. Nanananana.
kiwifarms.net
I'm usually more of a pour over man, but espresso shots with an EK43 (cast burrs),
Ever do pour overs with your EK? How fine can you get it? My gear is nothing fancy, C2 then JX Pro, and I'm surprised by how much finer I can get the grounds on the JX Pro and the water would still fall through it.

I guess fines really do stall the brew.

asr

kiwifarms.net
Ever do pour overs with your EK? How fine can you get it? My gear is nothing fancy, C2 then JX Pro, and I'm surprised by how much finer I can get the grounds on the JX Pro and the water would still fall through it.

I guess fines really do stall the brew.
To clarify, the EK wasn't mine (but a man can dream). In terms of grind, insanely fine, the bed would look like actual sludge, but the flow rate itself was insanely fast. I used naturally processed and light roasted Ethiopians, which are notorious for stalling brews, and nothing short of using so fine a grind that it would be for espresso would get me a flow rate slow enough to impact the taste for the worse (over extraction). For say a 17:1 ratio using 23.5 grams of coffee I wouldn't get a total brew time over 3 min ever including 30 seconds for bloom mind you, unless I actually tried to clog it. So with that in mind a finer grind was basically needed, otherwise it would be very under extracted from a lack of contact time.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
To clarify, the EK wasn't mine (but a man can dream). In terms of grind, insanely fine, the bed would look like actual sludge, but the flow rate itself was insanely fast. I used naturally processed and light roasted Ethiopians, which are notorious for stalling brews, and nothing short of using so fine a grind that it would be for espresso would get me a flow rate slow enough to impact the taste for the worse (over extraction). For say a 17:1 ratio using 23.5 grams of coffee I wouldn't get a total brew time over 3 min ever including 30 seconds for bloom mind you, unless I actually tried to clog it. So with that in mind a finer grind was basically needed, otherwise it would be very under extracted from a lack of contact time.
Maybe the high-end grinders will elaborate on the beauty of a bean like a Yirgacheffe in a way that intrigues me. I'll ask my local shop if they currently have any.

Splinters RCVD ✞

Babylon comes, but there is hope!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Am I a weakling for exclusively liking cappuccinos with a ton of chocolate powder on top?

Everyone I talk to says they drink their coffee black because they're "badass" or whatever...
You're not a weakling, people who think drinking coffee pure makes them somehow superior or better are.

This is purely a matter of taste. I prefer it pure, but I do not mind added stuff, nor do I scoff at those who drink mixed coffee.